3 Years of Love

3 Years of Love

People say you don't know what you got until it's gone...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


You grinned and walked a little faster the moment you caught sight of your 2 year boyfriend, Cho Kyuhyun. Once you reached him you immediately found yourself wrapped in his warm embrace. You held onto him with a small smile but that smile faltered when you felt the desperate way Kyuhyun was clutching onto the back of your coat.

"Kyu?" you murmured, pulling away just enough to peer up at him curiously, "You alright?"

Kyuhyun nodded, looking away from you as he quietly whispered, "I'm fine," you frowned not believing him but before you could open your mouth to say anything Kyuhyun blurted, "I'm taking SM's offer."

You blinked owlishly for a moment before allowing a wide grin to spread across your face as you took Kyuhyun's hands in yours and beamed, "That's great, Kyuhyun!"

Kyuhyun turned to you in surprise, "It...is?" he asked weakly.

You nodded enthusiastically, "Of course it is! You're singing is beyond amazing, I'm so proud of you. To be able to share your voice with the world-ah, it's going to be..." you trailed off, noticing Kyuhyun's lack in emotion, "Why aren't you excited, you want this...don't you?"

He gave a slow nod, "Yeah, I really do..."

"Then you should be happy," you emphasized, shaking his hands with a light laugh.

Kyuhyun nodded once more, averting his gaze from you again, "I just..." his voice was tight with restrained emotion, "...this is going to make me really busy...and...I don't want to risk our relationship..."

You furrowed your eyebrows and gave a slight smile, releasing Kyuhyun's hands to push his shoulders playfully, "Yah! You can't get rid of me that easy."

Kyuhyun's head swiveled toward you at your words, his eyes filled with relief, "Really?"

You nodded, a small laugh escaping your lips as you placed both your hands on Kyuhyun's shoulders and whispered, "Pabo~" you leaned up, standing on your tip-toes and pressing your lips to his in a slow kiss. Kyuhyun's arms came to wrap around your waist, holding on to you like you would disappear if he didn't. As you pulled away you smiled, "It will take a lot more than a busy schedule to keep me away from you."

___________________________

It had started out well enough.

You were always there when Kyuhyun needed you and though you couldn't see him every day, seeing him a few times a month kept you going. But then, the schedule got busier and you saw him less and less. You started to get lucky to see him once a month and things were getting out of hand. At first, he'd text you every day just so you knew he was well. He barely ever replied to your texts or called but that one morning message he sent always kept you through, it kept you going, it made you remember why you were going through all this. But then, even those messages came to an abrupt stop.

How much longer could you do this?

It hurt.

The Kyuhyun you met and fell in love with couldn't be the same Cho Kyuhyun that you saw on TV. They couldn't. Your Kyuhyun would do anything to make sure you knew he cared. He was that kind of boyfriend. Sure he was a bit childish, a little blunt, yet somehow perpetually awkward but he was also caring, thoughtful, and romantic. This man that you were dating now, was nothing like the one you fell in love with and you couldn't stand it.

Nothing hurts more than watching the person you used to know like the back of your hand become a total and complete stranger.

You honestly had thought that you would be able to bear with the busy schedule and you were completely right.

When you could tell Kyuhyun still cared about you, you could make it through anything.

But now...you really had no clue how he felt. It certainly didn't seem like he cared. And, to be honest, the only reason you knew you still cared for him was the constant ache you felt in your heart whenever he crossed your mind.

It was your third year anniversary and you didn't even receive a text from him. That was it, you decided.

That very night you called Kyuhyun and demanded that he meet you at the park--the same place where he told you about his becoming an idol, a year ago.

You sat on the bench and waited, ignoring the numbing cold, it was nearly 4 am before a rather large black van drove up and a dark head peeked out of the car. The figure ran toward you the moment he saw your form sitting on the bench, blowing heated air into your gloved palms.

Kyuhyun gripped your thin shoulders and shook you as he came up, "Are you crazy!? You actually waited out here?! You waited hours in the cold for me?! Are you insane!? What would you have done if I hadn't decided to check last minute, huh!?"

You rolled your eyes, fueled by intense anger, and pushed him away, speaking in a deadly calm voice, "Don't act like you care all of a sudden!" you snapped, shocking Kyuhyun into speechlessness, "And maybe I am crazy. I mean, I have to be. I've been putting myself through hell trying to stick with you," Kyuhyun's heart sank as tears began rolling down your flushed cheeks, "Every time I think about you or hear about Super Junior or anything, it just hurts. I'm proud of you Kyuhyun. I really am. I was fine with the schedule, fine with sharing you with fans, fine with everything...but then you just vanished. You stopped talking to me all together and I just felt so...I don't know...empty. But then I'd think of all the good times we had these past, three years and I'd tell myself it was worth it. Love isn't a waste of time. I'd keep myself going with just that but then today. Kyuhyun, do you know what today is?" you asked with a bitter, watery laugh that made Kyuhyun's heart clench, "Of course not..." you murmured, "Why would you? After all...it's not like our relationship means anything to you anymore..." he opened his mouth to protest but you cut him off, "If it did," you cut in sharply, "Then you wouldn't have decided to come and see me as a last minute, 'just let me check' kind of thing. Kyuhyun. I love you. But I don't think I can do this anymore. I just...I can't. I'm just not strong enough to bear with this constant pain and I'm tired of pretending that I am. I'm sorry."

And with that you pulled off the promise ring Kyuhyun gave you on your first year anniversary and put it in his palm, then, squeezing his hand shut, you stood and started to walk away.

But you stopped abruptly and looked over your shoulder, finding that Kyuhyun was still stupidly staring at the bench where you once stood. You almost caved as you called out, "Kyu..."

Kyuhyun spun around eagerly, hoping to God that you changed your mind.

You couldn't cave. You had to stay firm, you weren't going to let yourself go through hell for a one-sided relationship. You weren't going to let yourself be taken for granted, not now, not ever, "...This goodbye is final. Don't contact me anymore. This is the end of "us". Goodbye."

And with that you hurried off, leaving Kyuhyun feeling incredibly stupid and brokenhearted.

"You're an idiot, Cho Kyuhyun," he murmured to himself as he glanced at the ring in his palm, tears dripping down his pale face steadily, "A real...idiot..."

____________________________

"What was the longest you've ever dated a girl, Kyuhyun?"

"Me?"

Kyuhyun's mind raced with memories and he felt his heart suddenly sink. Swallowing thickly he awkwardly nodded his head as he replied, "3 years."

As everyone reacted to this new information Kyuhyun briefly let himself wonder just what you were doing in that moment and for a moment his smile faltered and sorrow overwhelmed his features. To this day, his biggest regret was not running after you when he had the chance. The moment he realized he had gotten to consumed in his thoughts he brightened for the camera and rejoined the conversation. No use dwelling on the past, he supposed.

Little did he know that there sitting in the crowd was you, smiling bitterly, regret filling every cell in your body as you murmured to yourself, "So no one else worked for you either, huh? Kyuhyun..." 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Truth is, you knew what you had. You just didn't think you'd ever lose it...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weird format is weird XD

I don't normally use this centered alignment but for this one-shot, it just worked better ^^;

Anyway, I really couldn't resist writing this >.<

Ah, I kind of actually like the way this came out, what about you guys? Please comment and let me know, alright~???

COMMENTS ARE LOOOOOOOVE~~~!!! ^^

Edit: I think I mentioned making a sequel to this but if I was to make a sequel it'd be too cliche and there's only one way to go with it so I changed my mind. Really, if I made a sequel I would have no freedom, there's only one way to go to get a happy ending and honestly, when I wrote this, I had no intention of continuing it so I'm going to stick with my initial thought of leaving it as is. I did try to write up a sequel but I seriously wrote it 4 times and each time it ended up super cliche and I wasn't happy with it. Sorry if this a disappointment to anyone but I really just think it works better to leave it the way it is ^^;