Prologue

Two Worlds

The night was not completely dark. The dim light of the silver coin moon illuminated the world below. The green foliage was bathed in silver. The white buckwheat flower that grew densely in the area seemed to glow by reflecting the moonlight. An owl hooted in the distance, as if to let the creatures nearby know how late it had gotten. The night wind passed by, making the leaves and grass temporarily dance under the moon.

An eight-year-old girl with expressive light-brown eyes stumbled on a patch of bramble and nearly fell. She had been holding the small hand of a younger child, who fell forward due to the older girl’s stumble. The younger child, a girl who was three years younger than the older girl, fell on her knees, scraping them on the sharp twigs and rocks on the ground. The fallen girl promptly began to wail.

“Shh, Chaewon. Are you alright?” The older girl, whose name was Sowon, put comforting arms around the child, who was her little sister.

“We have no time to stop. We have to keep walking,” The boy who had been walking in front of the two girls said in a low tone. He had a pair of serious brown eyes that looked unnatural on a ten-year-old. He glanced warily around him. To him, the silver-coated trees looked ominous, silently watching the children struggle through the woods.

“Joonmyeon, but Chaewon is hurt.” Sowon tried to hush Chaewon, whose wails grew louder.

Joonmyeon sighed and returned to the girls in a few, big steps. Despite being so young, he was already several inches past five feet. He picked the tiny girl up and seated her on his broad shoulders. The girl’s cries began to subside.

They started walking again. Sowon tried not to slow Joonmyeon down by her clumsiness. Small scrapes and scratches began to appear on her limbs as the night grew on, collections from her trips and falls. After what seemed like hours, the trees around them became sparse, hinting that they were exiting the woods.

“How long do we have to go?” Sowon whispered. Her eyelids threatened to close from the weariness of walking so much. Her little legs ached and she could barely think.

“Just a little more.” Joonmyeon struggled to hide the tiredness in his voice. Chaewon had fallen asleep above him. She seemed to be getting heavier by the minute, but he was reluctant to wake the young girl.

Just as the first rays of sunlight lit up the area, the exhausted children reached a small, two-story house. It was by itself in the grassy clearing, and looked uninhabited. White plaster that had chipped in several places coated the walls. In the chipped areas, red bricks, which looked like they had seen several seasons, peeked out. However, the glass in the windows was intact and there seemed to be no holes in the walls. Several feet away, there was a worn cement road, and beyond that, ancient apartment buildings. Some were on the verge of crumbling away. One glance at them told Sowon that they were probably abandoned.

Joonmyeon entered the old house without hesitation. Inside, there was a bed in a corner. To Sowon’s surprise, the mattress and sheets were free of dust. It made her wonder if this was a place for travelers and wanderers to spend a night in before going on their way. Joonmyeon gently lowered the sleeping child onto the sheets. Chaewon’s breathing was steady; the girl was still in a heavy slumber.

“Sowon.” Joonmyeon turned Sowon to face him by grabbing her shoulders. He stared into her half-closed eyes. “Sowon, I have to leave you two now. I promise I’ll come back later.”

“Why?” the younger girl cried out, snapping awake. “Why can’t you stay with us?” she pleaded. Fear was in her eyes. Joonmyeon momentarily hesitated, staring into the girl’s round eyes.

“Sowon, I promise you that I’ll always protect you, along with Chaewon. But now, I must go. I will explain it to you someday. It’s not safe for us to be together.” Joonmyeon’s tone was urgent and his eyes were as serious as ever.

“Please.” Sowon’s voice cracked as she glanced at her sleeping younger sister. “Stay.”

Joonmyeon was silent for a moment. He looked as if he was torn into two. “I can’t.” This time, extreme sorrow was in his eyes. “I’m sorry. You’ll understand some day.” Without another word, he abruptly turned towards the door.

“Joonmyeon! How will we survive?” Sowon fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face.

“I’ll come back soon.” With just one look back, the boy disappeared.


Sowon stared at the white envelope in front of her. Chaewon had found it in their rusty mailbox a few minutes ago, and then she had left for work after leaving it with Sowon. Sowon had no clue on who had put it there and when. No one was supposed to know that the two girls were living in this house. The envelope, being clean and crease-free, untouched by the weather and age, was obviously put there very recently. She tapped her fingers on the tabletop, as if considering whether to open it or not. Curiosity got the better of her and she carefully tore the envelope open.

She could see a single sheet of white paper folded neatly inside. With uncertain fingers, Sowon slowly took it out and unfolded it while holding her breath. She breathed out a sigh of relief. The writing was obviously Joonmyeon’s flowing handwriting.

Sowon

I would’ve gone to deliver this information personally, but I fear that it’d be too risky for me to go see you right now. I’ve sent this with a trustworthy ally, and cannot do anything but hope you’ll receive it soon. There is trouble brewing – I fear that you and Chaewon are being targeted. I cannot tell you by who and why yet, but be cautious at all times. I advise you not to go out to the store or to work as you normally do. This letter is not to alarm you, but to warn you. I recommend that you do not break this out to your little sister yet, for all this worry might be for naught. However, if you see any suspicious activity around you, do not hesitate to contact me. I’ve enclosed an amulet that can allow you to let me know when you’re in danger. All you have to do is hold it and say “Yang,” which will activate it. Speak and I will be able to hear. I wish you safety.

As soon as she read the letter, a bolt of fear coursed through her. Joonmyeon’s words seemed to put her on the verge of panic, despite him telling her to remain calm. How could she, when she was supposedly in a grave danger she knew nothing about? Sowon wished that Joonmyeon had enclosed more information.

She peered into the ripped envelope. She noticed that her hands were trembling. A tiny amulet in the shape of a silver cross with an even smaller red gem embedded in the middle was inside. It was strung on a thin, silver chain. She removed it and put it on the palm of her hand. It filled up not even half of her palm. She made a fist with the hand.

“Yang,” she stated, clearly. She waited for a few seconds, and then said, “Joonmyeon, can you hear me?”

She waited for several seconds, which turned into minutes. After what seemed like half an hour, she sighed and put the necklace around her neck. I promise that I’ll always protect you, along with Chaewon. That sentence from nine years ago had stuck in her memory. Then why wasn’t he here to uphold his promise?

She hoped that Chaewon would come home soon.

 


My first fantasy fanfic!! Enjoy!! :D

If you like the prologue, please subscribe and comment! I love feedback!!!!!