Chapter 1

A Cotton-Candy-Like Tune

“Dad, is it still far away?”

The clock in their car blinked 12:03; the sun’s favorite hour. In the front seat, Yujin was sitting with her left leg folded up and her hands pressing a sheet of tissue to her sweaty pink face. She was wearing a white t-shirt with the writing “Nevermind” on it, paired with a sky-blue skinny jeans which she seemed to be regretting now, considering all the heat tightly packed in the small navy blue sedan. The window on her side is rolled down and her left arm rested on the window pane. She stared at all the small houses they’re passing by.

 

They all look the same, she thought. It felt weird imagining that people actually spend their lives there; sleep, eat, go to work and coming home to a tiny house almost identical to all the other ones. The faded paint on the walls seemed to scream innocence; no, simplicity.

She can’t believe how different this place to Seoul. How the countless tall skyscrapers scattered all over the city has always hid the calm yet joyful sky. How traffic noises never went away there that the stillness engulfing her now made her uneasy.


 

Choi Yujin had spent all 17 years of her life in Seoul, and she understood the hardships of its expensive lifestyle. So when her father told her they were moving, she held herself from complaining and was glad that their hometown is in Busan, Korea’s second largest city. But after almost 7 hours of driving, she became more and more worried as they pass the metropolitan part of Busan and was surrounded by small houses and narrow streets in no time.

 

She turned to face her father as she scrunched up her face, trying to avoid the sun’s flaming stare. On her right, a 51 years old man was sternly looking ahead, with his hands on the steering wheel. His hair was thin and wavy, with a few strands of white hair here and there.

 

“Let’s stop by somewhere to get food, Dad, I’m so hungry,” Yoojin mumbled.

 

“We’re here!”


 

---


 

“Good morning everyone, today a new student will be joining us. I know it’s a bit weird since we’re in the middle of the semester; she will have a lot of to catch up so I hope all of you can be helpful and friendly.”

 

The teacher’s statement had caused a messy commotion throughout the room full of snickering, immature, teenagers.  

 

“It’s so unfair, Teach! If the new kid can just barge in and pass, then we should all have holidays for the rest of the semester and still graduate!” Ms. Yerin, who seemed to be used to this kind of immature blurts, ignored them and all the other ones made by the class.

“Yoojin-ah, come in!” She gently uttered to the girl nervously standing right by the class’ door.

 

She walked in cautiously as she timidly glanced once or twice towards the class, attempting to work out the domain she’s going to spend her high school life in. She had the exact same dark green and white themed uniform as the others, but her notably shiny and straightened attire gave away the fact that it was her first day wearing it.

 

“Hi everyone, my name is Choi Yoojin. I’m from Seoul and this is my first time in Busan. I hope for your help and support along the semester.” Half worried, half excited. Yoojin let out the words she had rehearsed over and over again in her head since last night. She ended it with a slight bow and a shy smile. The last thing she wanted was an awkward first interaction by blurting out peculiar remarks or blanking out midway. She joined their school in the middle of the semester, she knew she could not afford adding another reason for them to detest her. What came as a reply was a half-hearted clap of hands from probably just a third of the class. A number of girls sitting at the front, were whispering to each other while scanning Yoojin up and down.

Yoojin gulped.

 

“Alright then! Let’s get started on today’s class. Yoojin, you’ll be seating next to Jihoon at the back there; talk to him if you have any immediate concerns. I’ll meet you after you finish the day about schedule and assignments!”

 

“Yes, Teach. Thank you very much.” Yoojin uttered. She examined the room and noticed the only empty seat, it was next to a chestnut haired boy who is currently staring at her looking unimpressed. She carefully made her way to the back and sat on her allocated spot.

 

“Hi! Jihoon, right? I’m Yoojin, if you didn’t hear. I hope we will have a good time being deskmates!” Smiling brightly, Yoojin turned to the guy she would have to share the desk for the rest of the semester with.

 

He’s so petite, she quickly noticed. Jihoon had on the school’s uniform; a clean short-sleeved white shirt and dark green pants, with black shoes and a navy watch on his right wrist. Jihoon’s hair were fairly straight and his fluffy bangs covered his forehead. His skin fair and slightly pink; much like the color of a cooked shrimp, she thought, holding back a chuckle.

 

With his head resting on his hand, Jihoon glanced at the girl on his left and unenthusiastically lifted his eyebrows as a response. He took his notebook out of his black backpack as he let out a subtle sigh.


 

Yoojin could feel her hands sweating.

‘, this is a terrible start,’ she thought.