Three

Shattered Crystals

The morning light poured through the broken glass and fell straight onto Jungkook’s eyes. He turned around and muttered unintelligible gibberish. He felt a prodding at his back and tried to ignore it but the poking just kept going. He got up and rubbed his eyes. Slowly opening his eyes they got adjusted to the light and he almost screamed. He was in an unknown room in a place he’s never been with a little girl staring at him.

“Who are you?” She asked him tilting her head slightly.

“Who are you?” Jungkook questioned right back.

“Yunjin, nice to meet you.” She said sticking out her hand. Jungkook cautiously grabbed her hand and shook.

“Where am I Yunjin?”

“Right now you’re on oppa’s bed but otherwise you’re in my house.” She said smiling brightly. Jungkook on the other hand was instantly scared. His mind went straight to the creepy old ert.

“Who’s your oppa Yunjin?” he asked her in a lowered his voice.

“Taehyungie obviously.” She said and her smile, if possible, stretched even more. Jungkook’s smile now mirrored hers and his shoulders relaxed when he heard Taehyung’s name, “Do you know my oppa?”

“Yes, we’re, um, we’re friends.” Jungkook wasn’t sure if they were friends although to Jungkook, Taehyung was so much more than a friend.

“Oh wow, I didn’t know TaeTae oppa had friends other than Seokjin oppa and Namjoon oppa.”

“Who?”

“Oppa told me they work with him.”

“Where is hyung anyway?”

“You’re younger than him too? That’s great, now I won’t be the only one he bosses around.” She laughed and Jungkook couldn’t help his own giggles at the obvious enthusiasm and excitement of the little girl.

“He’s really bossy, isn’t he? Yunjin, where is your oppa now?” Jungkook didn’t think Taehyung was bossy in any way but he went along to make Yunjin happy.

“He’s asleep. He’s so lazy and I’m hungry but he told me never to wake him up.”

“C’mon Yunjin I’ll make you something to eat, hopefully I won’t burn it.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t. It’s just bread and some spreading thing.”

Jungkook followed the girl to a corner where some slices of bread and a jam jar were placed. He reached for both and looked to find the jar practically empty but he still made a show of chasing the jam around the container just to hear Yunjin laugh again.

He finally spread a little bit on two slices of bread for her and gave them to her. He sat with her and watched her eat. Jungkook was already coming to love the kid and it had barely been an hour.

“Yunjin, where are you?” They heard a voice come in from inside and in a worried tone, “Yunjin did you see the boy with the black hair.” He ran into the room without a shirt on and paused to see his little sister sitting cross-legged on the floor eating bread beside Jungkook, smiling and talking.

“TaeTae, you’re finally awake.” Yunjin said and bounded over to where Taehyung was and he picked her up.

“Hey Jungkookie, how did you sleep? I didn’t want to leave you there yesterday. Sorry if I scared you.” He asked him while walking towards Jungkook.

“I-I’m okay hyung, um.” Jungkook was too distracted by the sight of shirtless Tae to take proper notice of what was being asked of him.

“TaeTae oppa, is this your friend? If he’s not can you make him your friend? He’s funny and nice oppa.” Yunjin asked Tae, pouting at him.

“He’s already my friend Yunjin. Um, Kookie, what are you-?” He asked when he saw Jungkook staring; he looked down at his torso and blushed. He placed Yunjin down and excused himself to go change.

“Oppa, why did Taehyungie leave?” she asked Jungkook walking over to him. Jungkook was slightly taken aback when he heard the little girl call him such an affectionate name.

“I think he went to put on a shirt Yunjin.” He told her trying not to laugh.

“Why? Oppa doesn’t wear shirts in the morning, he says it’s too hot.”

“I have no idea, maybe it became cold.” He said having to refrain from reaching over and squishing the little girl in his arms, she was sat on the floor with her legs crossed and her hand on her chin, thinking hard.

“Is it because you’re here?” she asked suddenly snapping her fingers.

“No Yunjin, maybe he was just cold.”

“Oppa once said that the only time he would wear his shirt was when he went out or was shy. He’s shy because of you Jungkook oppa.”

“No Yunjin, he’s not. Just finish your bread please.” Jungkook wanted to bury his face; this kid was too deductive, even though what she said was wrong. Taehyung had no reason to be shy around Jungkook. She was smirking at Jungkook as if she had won something.

“Hey guys, again.” Taehyung stated as he walked in, with a shirt on this time. His hair was uncombed and all over the place and his eyes resembled a raccoons with the smudged eye makeup.

“Oppa you look ugly.” Yunjin said in a final tone and continued to her bread.

“Don’t lie baby, you know oppa is very pretty.” Taehyung retorted as he went to her and sat down next to her.

“No, Jungkook oppa looks better.” She said sticking her tongue at Taehyung.

“Now that hurts Yunjin, Jungkook-shi am I ugly?” Taehyung asked Jungkook while pulling the ugliest face he could conjure.

“Yeah hyung, sorry you kind of are.” Jungkook replied while high-fiving Yunjin.

“If you both think I’m ugly then I should just leave right. Fine, bye, I’m leaving.” Taehyung pouted and got up from where he was sitting and started to walk away.

“No oppa don’t leave, I love you. You’re very pretty I’m sorry.” Yunjin cried out and jumped off the ground to grab onto Taehyungs hand.

“I know baby, I love you too.” He picked Yunjin up and brought her back to where Jungkook was and sat with her on his lap.

“See Jungkook, I am prettier that you. Yunjin said so.” Taehyung said to Jungkook while Yunjin dutifully nodded.

“Ouch Yunjin, do you really think so?” Jungkook played along smoothly.

“Sorry oppa, you’re very pretty but Taehyungie oppa is the prettiest one.”

“Well, I can’t argue with you there, he is very pretty.” The moment the words left his lips Jungkook flushed red and bit his lip. Taehyung blushed as well and so the red in each others face went unnoticed as they tried to hide their embarrassment.

“You both are boring I’m going to go play.” Yunjin said. Once she realized they both weren’t saying anything, she got off Tae’s lap and walked off.

“So… did you eat?” Taehyung forced out, determined to not make it awkward.

“No, not yet.”

“Okay well let’s have breakfast and then we can go for a walk or something.” He said getting up to reach into a cupboard, “Jungkookie I’m sorry, we only have bread left, the jam is over.”

“That’s fine hyung, it’s what I eat anyway.”

Taehyung smiled gratefully and took out the food and they both ate in silence together. Once they were finished Taehyung asked Jungkook if he wanted to change his clothes and offered him a t-shirt. Jungkook noticed it was the same one Taehyung had worn when they had first met. After Taehyung fixed his face and cleared it of any and all makeup they left the house together, walking in comfortable silence next to each other.

“Hyung how did I end up in your house?” Jungkook finally unable to handle not knowing asked.

“Oh, last night while I was going home I walked past the alley and I heard you crying so I came to see what was wrong and you told me you couldn’t sleep in the club and didn’t want to disturb Yoongi. Who’s that?”

“That’s Suga’s real name.”

“Oh that makes sense, for some reason I always thought his name was Suga. Anyway, I saw you and I brought you to my house.”

“Thank you hyung, you really didn’t have to. I’ll get my stuff and be out before tonight, don’t worry.” Jungkook told him smiling but inside, in a place too clouded and hidden for Taehyung to see, he was scared of being left alone and sad at the thought of leaving Taehyung and Yunjin, who he quickly came to love.

“O-okay then, let’s go to your club.” Taehyung said, equally crestfallen at the thought of Jungkook leaving.

“Actually hyung I have to do something, do you want to come with me?” Jungkook asked, suddenly excited again.

“Um sure, let’s go.” Not a second passed after Taehyung uttered the words before Jungkook had grabbed hold of Tae’s hand and ran, dragging him through the dirty streets. Taehyung stumbled around in the beginning but soon balanced himself and ran alongside Jungkook holding onto his hand. Taehyung felt slight wind ruffle his hair and a smile growing on his face, a proper one that stretched his lips into a box and he laughed. Jungkook laughed along with him. They looked like a pair of happy high school students and not kids stuck with the responsibility of keeping themselves alive.

They arrived outside a music shop that had music playing loudly. It resonated outside the shop. Jungkook walked right in like he was home.

“Hey hyung, I’m back.” He called to a shorter boy behind the counter who had his legs on the table, headphones on and dirty orange hair. The boy didn’t respond, probably since he had music in his ears. Jungkook walked up to him and started waving his hands around to catch his attention. The boy with orange hair and pierced ears looked up and his eyes disappeared as he smiled at Jungkook.

“Jungkookie, you finally came back.” He yelled and hugged Jungkook over the desk.

“Yeah, hyung stop, I told you I would.” Orange head let go of him and looked at the intertwined hands.

“Did you actually get a boyfriend? Jungkook I am offended you didn’t tell me sooner.” He said placing his hands on his hips.

“What no! We’re not, he’s not my-” They both simultaneously let go of each others hands. “Hyung,” He whined, “stop. I’m going out, can you play track seven?” He asked him and after the other boy nodded, he grabbed Taehyung again and ran out of the shop to the wooden flooring outside the shop and started stretching.

“Um Kookie, what are you doing and who was that?” Taehyung asked thoroughly confused.

“Oh, I’m sorry, you must be confused. That’s my friend Jimin hyung, I dance here sometimes.” Before Tae could even process the information the music changed and Jungkook started to move.

Taehyung had heard Jungkook sing once, through a door under the shower but he had never seen him dance and to say Taehyung was surprised was an understatement. Jungkook moved with such grace and beauty it amazed Tae. He watched on as Jungkook turned, spread his hands, moved his hips and swept the floor with his feet. His footwork was clean and there were hardly any holes in the choreography. Taehyung watched on in surprise and admiration as the younger boy glided from one position to another. He watched him jump and leap, it looked to Taehyung like he was flying. He watched Jungkook’s chest and hips move to the music with sinful grace and beauty. He watched his long legs and arms stretch and contract, becoming more beautiful and breathtaking as the steps got more complicated.

People had crowded around him to watch and the other boy had placed a hat on the corner of the wooden floor that Jungkook used as a stage and some people had tossed in some money. Jungkook danced to a total of three songs before stopping, bowing and coming to sit down on the floor next to Tae and the boy who had introduced himself as Jimin to Taehyung during Jungkook’s performance.

“So hyung, did you like it?” Jungkook asked Taehyung, sweat plastered to his body and face, panting but with the biggest smile Taehyung had ever seen grace Jungkook’s face.

“Kookie, wow that was amazing. You dance so well. Why didn’t you tell me?” Taehyung was in awe of his younger friend. Jungkook emitted charisma and confidence while he was dancing and Taehyung was both blown away and incredibly proud of Jungkook.

“Thank-you hyung. It’s all thanks to Jimin hyung really, he taught me.”

“Not really, I mean I did teach him but Jungkook caught up fast and he just improved a lot. Besides, it was out of gratitude.” Jimin said laughing.

“Gratitude for what?” Taehyung asked Jimin.

“He introduced me to Yoongi hyung, god dammit that man is gorgeous.” Jimin sighed and leant backwards.

“Hyung, your gay is showing.” Jungkook teased.

“My gay is always showing.” He replied.

Taehyung watched the innocent teasing with a smile on his face, content to see Jungkook happy. Jungkook turned to Taehyung and explained.

“Jimin hyung has the biggest crush on Yoongi hyung and one day I was idly dancing in front of his store and he came out to chase me away but he just couldn’t help but fall in love with the gorgeous kid that I am and invited me inside.”

“That is not what happened. I went out to chase him away but I took pity on the poor kid who looked like he was having so much fun and brought him inside. You may continue now.” Jimin protested and then lay back down.

“Anyway, we became friends and I would come to his shop sometimes after school and one day Yoongi hyung dropped me off because I had hurt my leg and Jimin hyung developed the biggest crush on him. He told me he would teach me how to dance if I introduced him to Yoongi hyung so I did and I now know how to dance but Jimin hyung is too much of a baby to ask Yoongi hyung out.”

“Am not, I’m just waiting for the perfect timing.”

Taehyung was confused; he had been confused since Jungkook said ‘school’. As far as Taehyung knew, Jungkook didn’t attend school. But then, why had he lied?

Afterwards Jimin invited both of them out for lunch on him. They killed time with Jimin and started walking home around 5 PM.

“Jungkook-shi, do you go to school?” Taehyung asked carefully.

“Oh that, no. I don’t. The first time I met Jimin hyung I told him I was an orphan who lived at an orphanage and went to school and sometimes worked in a store Yoongi hyung owned part time. I couldn’t tell him I was a dirty homeless boy who worked as a waiter at a night club.” Jungkook told him looking down. Taehyung’s breathe hitched at what he said, dreading the day Jungkook found out where Taehyung worked. “I don’t mean that you’re bad hyung, I like you.”

“I know Kookie, don’t worry.”

Jungkook slipped his hand into Taehyung’s and when he didn’t pull away Jungkook sighed gratefully. Though both their stomachs were doing backflips and their hearts exploded in butterflies neither pulled their hands apart. Once they reached Jungkook’s club they parted ways.

Jungkook was almost done cleaning up when Yoongi showed up again.

“Jungkook-ah, I’m really sorry but I don’t think you can stay here. You really are welcome at my place, I don’t want you sleeping on the street again.”

“Hyung it’s fine, I’m used to it. Don’t worry.”

“Jungkook, I’m not letting you sleep on the street where filthy animals and men alike may hurt you. You will either stay at my place or I can rent out an apartment for you. I have the money. You can’t be alone out there.” Yoongi insisted.

Unknown to Jungkook and Yoongi, Taehyung had entered the club after completing his surprisingly short list. He heard the conversation and felt the need to protect Jungkook again; he didn’t want him alone on the streets either so he took the opportunity to tell him to stay with Taehyung.

“He won’t be alone, he can stay with me for as long as he likes don’t worry.” Taehyung voiced out stepping out next to Jungkook.

“You? Don’t make me laugh. I am not letting Jungkook stay with someone of the likes of you. You’re a worker. Jungkook doesn’t deserve this, I’m trying to give him a proper life.”

Taehyung looked as though he had been slapped in the face. Taehyung had been mocked, teased and disrespected before and he knew it was just part of his job but when it happened to him in front of Jungkook. The boy he felt connected to him, the one who made him feel happy, Taehyung felt the air escape his body and his walls instantly bounced back up.

He was reminded of the people that left him, he was reminded of the things that were thrown at him, the disgust he felt every time he looked at himself in the mirror. He anticipated the disgust he would receive from Jungkook, from his light in the world. He anticipated the words that would be thrown at him and the overwhelming feeling of loneliness and depression that would take over and grip him tighter than ever before. He couldn’t face Jungkook he turned around and was about to walk out when he heard the sound of a palm meeting with the soft flesh of a cheek and felt a tug on his sleeve.

“Hyung, I respect you and love you but what you just said is not acceptable. Taehyung hyung cares for his little sister and his mother who’s sick. He does everything to make them happy and even me, who he hasn’t even known for long. Please hyung, I don’t like fighting with you but I will not allow you to insult him. You take care of all of us here, you were the one who taught me not to judge people without knowing them, please don’t judge him.”

Jungkook turned to face Tae, “Hyung, please don’t be upset. I don’t care where you work. You’re a great person and you make me feel happy and safe and not many people can do that. Don’t leave. Please let me come with you.”

Taehyung was surprised to say the least; he had expected Jungkook to step away from him in disgust and to never talk to him. He expected to lose Jungkook forever. Taehyung couldn’t speak.

“Please hyung, I need you.”

He said nothing, unable to form coherent words. He instead reached out and took hold of Jungkooks hand and led him out of the club.

“My ship is sailing!” They heard Hoseok scream from inside and Yoongi telling him to shut up.

Taehyung was encompassed in surprise and unfathomable happiness. Among the tears that had stained his face just a few seconds ago spread a wide smile and Taehyung could not remember another moment in which he felt so validated and loved.

Jungkook never felt braver and warmer ever before. He felt strength surge through him as he held onto Taehyung’s hand and he felt proud of himself for standing up for someone he loved. He turned his head to see the smile form on Taehyung’s lips and this brought on the smile of undeniable happiness of his own.

Both boys had finally found the person that made them feel important, safe and loved in this cruel and tragic life they had.