Chapter 1

Like Sisters, Like Lovers

 

Jennie Kim didn't enjoy many things at age five. Sure, she liked her family, and her books, and food, and the occasional TV show, but that was about it. 

Normal things five year olds enjoyed like playing, running, talking, and sharing wasn't so interesting in the eyes of one Jennie Kim. So naturally making friends was quite difficult and the number of kids she tolerated was quite scarce. So scarce, in fact, that the number itself was zero. 

But young Jennie didn't actually care. The only friends she needed were located in her favorite books. They'd never choose another kid over her and they most certainly would not ask for her to share—she couldn't say the same for her boring and very annoying classmates. 

As she watched her classmates rush out of the classroom as the bell rang for lunch, Jennie ever-so-calmly collected her things and exited without the need for running another child over. Another thing she could add to the list of reasons she despised the kids in her classroom. Not like the list wasn't long enough without it. Going to her usual bench where she sat alone, Jennie pulled out her lunch and book and paid no mind to her surroundings. 

Well that is until a loud thud signaled the arrival of another child. Jennie's head shot up in surprise only to be met with the sight of wide, dark brown, nearly black eyes and pink lips curved into a grin. Jennie immediately made the assumption that the other girl was in another class or grade as she'd never seen her before. 

"Hi," the girl chirped, smile not even slightly fading as she opened her own lunchbox. "People call me Jisoo." 

Jennie blinked, unsure of how to respond to an introduction like that one. Or to an introduction at all. Usually the other kids ignored her, so why was this one talking to her? Is this another one their stupid jokes?  Jennie asked herself, her forehead wrinkling in thought.

Jisoo continued to talk, unbothered by Jennie's silence. "But they mostly only call me that because it's my name. You, on the other hand, can call me your new best friend." 

When Jennie didn't answer, Jisoo finally stopped and stared at the girl opposite her in wonder. Usually when she talked to people they immediately responded just as excited as she was, yet this one hadn't even made a sound. Can she not talk? Or does she not want to be friends? Jisoo frowned at the thought of the last option. Had she talked too much already?

"Okay," Jennie agreed, (much to Jisoo's elation) finally able to comprehend what was happening. It couldn't hurt her to try and be friends with someone, could it? "But I'm not sharing my crackers."

Another frown appeared on the girl's lips and Jennie's heartbeat spiked in panic, had she already messed this up? 

Before Jennie could apologize for offending her (not that she would've shared anyway), Jisoo's eyes lit up as she let out a laugh. And just like that Jennie Kim was once again left confused. 

"That's okay! I brought my own. See," Jisoo held up a tiny package.

Jennie grinned, happy to see she hadn't already lost the only friend she had ever made--not that she had to do much to make this one. (And partially because she wouldn't have to share her food.)  "I'm Jennie," she introduced shyly. "Jennie Kim." 

----

At age eight, Kim Jisoo loved everything and loved doing everything. Her goldfish, coloring, the color pink, anything sparkly, shoes, games, candy, and learning... But most importantly, Jisoo loved people. And at the top of that list was her family and, of course, her best friend of two and half years: Jennie. 

Her best friend didn't talk nearly as often as all the other kids, but that was okay with Jisoo. (That only meant she got to talk more!) What she did do, however, was read. And a lot. And that was one of the many things about the younger girl that intrigued Jisoo. (Because anyone who could stare at words for so long without getting bored or irritated automatically deserved to be the object of Jisoo's affection.)

One of the things that intrigued one young Kim Jisoo was how intelligent and serious her seven year old bestfriend was. How her eyes would narrow and squint at whatever book was in her hand as if she was afraid she'd miss a single word. How her nose would wrinkle whenever she came across something she didn't understand or when a character did something she didn't like. (After so long, Jisoo somehow managed to tell when it was one or the other.) And most importantly how a tiny, content smile would grace her lips as Jisoo would ask her to tell her what the book she was reading was about. 

Jisoo rarely (read as: never) cared about the book itself but Jennie loved talking about it and Jisoo's mother had told her that watching someone talk about their interests was not only a nice thing to do but a nice feeling as well. And when had her mother ever been wrong about something? (Something important, at least. . .)

Certainly not then because Jisoo swore that she'd read every book just to talk about it with Jennie just so she could see that smile. Jisoo liked knowing that her friend could look so youthful and happy and content because there weren't many instances where she did. (Okay, so maybe her mom was smarter than she'd ever admit. But that most certainly did not mean she was going to clean her room. Not at all.)

Maybe books aren't so bad after all, Jisoo ponders, as she continues coloring in her room. They look so big and intimidating on the outside. But so did Jennie and she liked Jennie so maybe she could try reading books. Maybe she'd find nice things in the books like she did with Jennie and like Jennie herself did with books. 

"Sweetheart," her mother interrupted her silent reverie, much to the eight year old's annoyance, "you have to clean your room. It's so dirty in here you could have a snake living in it and you wouldn't even notice. When I get back, you'd better have this room spotless or no TV for a week." 

Jisoo huffed in pure irritation. Okay, so maybe she didn't like doing everything

----

Yes, I know it's short, short, short. But I'm lost, lost, lost. So I did what I could. I'd say it gets better as it progresses but I can't promise that for sure and I don't fancy telling any of you wonderful people lies this  early on in the story. 

Nothing important happens in this chapter whatsoever. I just felt like I needed to start somewhere and this was the result. You might want to pay slight attention to the light observations they had of each other because some of the quirks that they mentioned might play an important part later on. And by that I mean it'll either make them closer or come back to bite them in the .

Also sorry for the short, crappy plot. I have like two things planned and they are not consecutive. Bye!