The Case of the Air Conditioner

Dance in Fire

“A progressive chassé here,” Jisoo yells as he claps his hands on time to the beat. He watches as Seokmin and Yuna execute it fantastically, “Good, keep going!” The routine is over in a blink of an eye. Seokmin and Yuna collapse on the floor out of exhaustion, they went over the routine quite a couple of times after all. Jisoo approaches the worn out pair with cool bottled waters and loosely scribbled notes, both of which are gratefully received. The quiet pantings of the two signal Seungkwan and Jeonghan to finish up the shadowing in their respective corners and sit themselves next to Seokmin and Yuna. It’s incredibly hot in the room, and Jisoo still hasn’t cooled down from his routine with Jeonghan earlier, grey t-shirt still stubbornly clinging onto his perspired skin. It’s hard to concentrate when it’s hot, but without proper air conditioning and ventilation, they will have to grit their teeth and suffer their way through practice.

 

“I knew we didn’t match at this point. It felt off,” Yuna frowns pointing at Jisoo’s scrawl of a time on the notepad.

 

Seokmin smiles sheepishly, “Sorry Yuju, I think it was my timing, I’ll shadow at home and fix it.” Jisoo and Jeonghan give a few pointers here and there as they listen in to their conversation and note review. Seungkwan whines in the background, voicing all their opinions on the ty ventilation, sweat, and unbearable heat.

 

As if on cue, their missing member (as well as president)  throws the door open and growls, “Jisoo, Jeonghan, get over here. Today we’re going to win air conditioning even if I have to kill someone.” There is a noticeably dangerous glint in Jihoon’s eyes today. The heat must be doing something to him.

 

Jisoo and Jeonghan strip their tops to wipe off any sweat before changing into their clean white button ups (from the school uniform), and then proceed to lightly spray themselves with their favorite scents. Seokmin, Yuna, and Seungkwan start mopping up in the back, wishing them good lucks on their campaign. #doitforus

 

When they step out the “Ballroom Dancing” practice room, Jisoo immediately feels refreshed by the clean and cool air. Then, he feels un-refreshed when they end up at the small student council room holding triple the amount of people than in ballroom (not to mention, they were all people Jihoon loathed.) He doesn’t know if he can deal with this.

 

“Well, if it isn’t Lee Jihoon from Ballroom,” a blonde smiles in a rather threateningly manner. Two other people accompany him at his sides, and Jisoo recognizes them as the Chinese transfer students from the year before. They caused a huge commotion for being handsome. Jisoo could see why.

 

Jihoon snorts, “Can’t be bothered to remember your name Latin.” Latin’s face visibly falters and both Jeonghan and Jisoo are still trying to figure out his real name.

 

“Now, now Jiho-” Seungchoo or something starts, but is cut off right away.

 

“You either Swing.”

 

“Alright, alright. Let’s settle down now that we know that you all know Jihoon’s name and he apparently doesn’t know yours,” Hakyeon pipes up with a small chuckle. Silence is demanded and is given right away. He flips through the file of papers he has while talking, “Alright, so what we have here is all three dancing clubs: Ballroom, Latin, and Swing demanding better ventilation and air conditioning in the practice rooms. Everyone nods and Hakyeon continues, “Well okay, but we already gave you the budget earlier in the year. So your answer is no.”

 

Jihoon frowns, “The budget was small, plus it was all used for the outfits. We even had to use our prize money to chip in for it.”

 

“Same for us.” Latin joins.

 

“Us too…” Seungchoo says, “Isn’t it a little unfair when the dance clubs are winning and bringing in the money, trophies, and reputation to our school, but our sports clubs get a bigger budget than all three dance clubs combined?”

 

Jisoo is about to tear up at the three competing clubs finally joining forces for a common cause, but Hakyeon smashes this fragile alliance into pieces with his words, “Compelling arguments. Our school is partial towards our ty sports clubs, but because I enjoy dance myself...I’ll pull a few strings, but only for one you guys. I can’t abuse power...to an extent.”

 

Jihoon takes the first move and slams his left hand on the table as he points out Jisoo and Jeonghan trying to have a merry time in the back (to avoid getting caught up in this war,) “These two...Jeonghan and Jisoo! They’ve gotten awards in every competition: foxtrot, quickstep, waltz, you name it! They even took first in championships last year! Seokmin and Yuna are rising stars in the teen ballroom scene too! Air conditioning will help us!”

 

Seungchoo butts in, “If you’re going by awards, we’re just as good you know! Vernon-I mean Hansol, is only a freshman, but he already took his first bronze in our district’s swing competition! It’s no stretch that our club probably has the best Lindy Hop and Jitter, count the awards pres! We have a lot of moving to do, our practice room is basically drenched in sweat!”

 

Poor Latin is about to give a piece of his mind as well, but Jihoon is offended by Seungchoo’s words and furiously curses out, “Seungcheol you little , if you don’t think ballroom makes you move as much as swing why don’t you swing around to our practice room and bathe in our sweat filled room then!?” His name is Seungcheol, right. Jisoo thinks he should also ask Jihoon for Latin’s real name later, if he’s willing.

 

While Latin, Seungcheol, and Jihoon are duking it out in the front, everyone who had accompanied them slunk to the back together. Mingyu throws a small wave to Jisoo, who returns it with one of his own. His childhood friend (although it was only during middle school) visibly brightens knowing that Jisoo won’t ignore him just because of the rivalry between the three clubs. And, of course he wasn’t, he just didn’t have to inform Jihoon about it. One of the Latin dancers didn’t quite agree though, he continuously sent glares at both the Swing and Ballroom dancers.

 

“Okay, stop!” Hakyeon exclaims, causing everyone in the room to jump, “You all make some great points, but I can’t choose, so we’ll have your peers choose.” He opens one of his drawers and drags out a calendar and some files, “We’ll be holding our Winter School Festival on January 20th which gives you all approximately four months to prepare.”

 

“So we’ll be performing, and the students vote.” Jihoon restates, but in a much more blunt and prompt way.

 

Hakyeon smiles sweetly, “You catch on so fast. Now shoo, you’re making it hot it here.” He waves his hand back and forth, dismissing the three presidents. Jihoon grumbles something along the lines of, “At least you’ve got air conditioning,” as he walks towards the door, signaling Jisoo and Jeonghan to come along. They trail after him, nodding their heads at Hakyeon as they exit the room. They find Jihoon walking way ahead of them, body hunched over in obvious irritation at defeat. He slows down though, and they know it’s for them, so they quicken their pace to reach him and offer words of encouragement.

 

Jisoo pats Jihoon’s back, “All we have to do is show everyone we’re better right? Quick step or cha cha would be suitable.”

 

Jihoon’s just sighs, “You and Jeonghan are third years, you have to juggle practice and studying for entrance exams. I can’t put another dance routine on you guys just for an air conditioner.”

 

“Uhm actually, we got this. We don’t even need to study hard anymore, not that Jisoo won’t anyway,” Jeonghan laughs, a wide smile playing on his lips, “We were planning on telling you after district competitions, but Jisoo and I got scouted to XXX dance school!”

 

Jisoo swears Jihoon’s eyes almost fall out of his head, but well, in his defense, it was quite a prestigious dance school. He whips his head back and forth from Jeonghan to Jisoo, mouth opening and closing as if to say something, but never quite coming out. Instead, he just takes their hands in his and squeezes them. Jisoo smiles, he can feel all the affection and congratulations that Jihoon wasn’t able to put into words. The moment slowly dissolves though, and soon enough they are planning everything out for the Winter Festival.

 

The air conditioning will be theirs.