FIN.

An Autumn Symphony

 

 

The air is thick with tension even if we are out in the open, in a lovely park with trees towering gloriously above us. I feel cold even if my clothes are as thick as the trees’ trunk in a 10 degrees Celsius kind of weather. My palms are sweating profusely inside the comfort of my mother’s knitted mittens especially made for me. My heart turns into an enthusiastic drum recital for the whole country, the void inside of me slowly being filled by the merciless echoes of each beat. They said the feet are made for walking, but it seems as if my feet forgot how to do its bodily function and melts into a puddle, leaving me helpless but a tad lovesick. All of a sudden, I feel as if I were a bizarre organism with no hands and feet. My limbs feel funny. But who am I kidding? Right now, everything feels funny.

My thoughts are going in all directions but one. They are scattered everywhere as if a chicken came out of blue and started pecking it without much thought. I could fall flat on my face right now. I could get knocked up by an acorn. She might not like me back. She might not find me interesting and decide to leave me hanging. Honestly, this whole idea was made without much thought. I won’t be surprised if everything turns out futile.

This is reckless.

This is absurd.

But I am in a beautiful place with a beautiful girl. I honestly cannot blame myself.

I never actually pictured her outside the school, the piano room, the classroom or even the girls’ bathroom. I don’t actually know anything about her other than my knowledge of her name, her major and her fondness of looking at her phone during class. In conclusion, this is a weird scenario. I am standing next to the girl I fancy, not in line to the girls’ bathroom, but just mindlessly walking side by side through a majestic park filled with tall trees and lonely benches seeking warmth.

I don’t know why she agreed to come. Our endeavours for today has nothing to do with school or English, or just plain academics. I never told her my reason for the sudden invitation but she doesn’t seem to mind. Although, I do want her to ask so I can quickly get the weight off of my chest.

I finally look at her after dodging her eyes for a while. There I see her standing right next to me, her big doe eyes gazing intently at the view that surrounded us. She looks so calm, refined and anything but anxious. Her ease turned me more apprehensive.

Now, she looks at me. Her iridescent eyes, though passive, are dynamic. Her eyes don’t bore you. Her eyes engulf you. They will let you know that they’re looking no matter what. They burst with so many stories, each a vulnerable one. And with her eyes, although she is the one looking, she stands bare in front of me. Her eyes give her away like my hands betray the rest of me.

I pull her by the waist, holding her in a way I never knew I could. For a split second, I see her looking at me with much anticipation. Even if I am a nervous wreck as of the moment, the glint in her eyes and the part of her lips push me to my last bit of courage. Right at that moment, as the sun bids us goodbye with its outstretched rays, I am kissing her with every inch of my remaining impulse. My knees turn into jelly as she puts her hands on my face, pulling me closer for more. I pull her by the waist, giving proximity a run for its life, and take her in as if our souls would latch their selves to one another after leaking through their vessels.

It was more than a physical contact. It was more than an intimate touch. It was more of a way to catch up without having to utter a single word. And just like that, the girl I sat next to in English never had to say a single word to let me know that she likes me back.