001.

endless ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He looked at himself in the mirror, drops of water trickled off his neatly gelled hair down his face, his listless eyes staring blankly at his reflection. He could only offer a scoff in return when he thought about how wrong everything played out. In just about an hour or two, he would be tied down in marriage with someone he felt nothing but anger and disdain towards, and there was no way to get out of the situation.

He lazily kicked open the frosted glass door of the restroom, as he made his way back to his dressing room. He had went up to the unused floor, in a bid to avoid any of the guests he had invited. He didn't need questions about how messed up he looked with his crumpled suit. His long steady strides came to a halt as he noticed a familiar figure sitting by herself against the pillar.

Yongguk watched her from afar — the way her fringe fell to cover her face, and her tucking it back behind her ear in annoyance; the way she blew into her palms before rubbing her arms in an attempt to warm up her body; the helpless look on her face as she watched her own fingers playing with themselves. He felt the numbness in him melt away the more he looked at her, and a sense of protectiveness washed through him at her vulnerability. 

He took big strides towards her, his eyes never leaving her as his heart pounded in his chest. How much he wished that she would be the one walking down the aisle instead, to exchange rings with her, and to lift her veil to plant a kiss on her lips in front of everyone. He wanted to be able to call her his, to carry her through the doors of their bedroom and spend the night together. A dull ache found its place in his chest and he was glad that he hadn't lost his ability to love.

He stood in front of her, clenched fist stuffed in his pockets, waiting for her to notice his presence. His hair fell over in locks as he bent his head to look at her and he couldn't care less, not when she was seated in front of him, zoned out and unaware of her surroundings. He wondered where her usually attentive self went to as he squatted in front of her, their face inches apart..

Her head snapped up towards him as he gave out a soft cough to break her of her concentration. To say she was surprised was an understatement, but she looked cute all the same with her widened eyes and lips apart. Her lips... He hadn't noticed before, but her lips were tinted a light coral unlike her usually pale ones. She had on a light layer of foundation to cover her blemishes, and Yongguk was unsure of which look her preferred on her. 

He loved how her look of surprise was replaced by a toothy grin as she regained her senses. He saw moving, but all he could hear was the pounding of his own heart resonating through his ears. He must have looked ridiculous while being lost in thoughts, he concluded as he saw her the corner of her lips lifting up further. He couldn't help himself from breaking out into a smile on his own, as he settled himself down before her.

"What are you doing here by yourself?" He asked with his low monotone voice, that others could have taken for unfriendliness. But not her. He was awestruck by how much she had changed in a year, and he couldn't take his eyes off of her. In that moment, he had forgotten all about his upcoming wedding ceremony, and his mind was a white blank as he took in her image feature by feature.

His eyes stopped at her plump lips, and it took every fibre of his being to restrain himself from reaching out to press his own lips against hers. He watched those plump lips move in reply to his question, and surprisingly enough, he could hear her soft voice through the thumping of his own heart.

"I needed some time by myself," her words struck him, and for a moment, he felt so bad for disturbing her silence. "but i like that you're here with me." He shifted his gaze away from her lips at her words, his mind unable to form a response. Despite that, he felt the corner of his lips tugging up into a smile, and the fluttering in his chest continued. No one else had such a effect on him.

Instead of giving a reply, he took off his blazer and carefully placed it on her shoulders, half expecting her to pull away from the approach. When she did not, he couldn't help but feel a rush of emotion sweep through him. He had missed her so much in that one year they were apart and maybe, just maybe she liked him back too? The question continuously probed the back of his mind as he settled himself back on the ground, his eyes still on her as she relished in the warmth that his blazer provided.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter