Chapter 3

The Art of Flirting

3

 

We were royally screwed and it was all Hannah’s fault.

"I swear, it was an accident?" Hannah said, more like a question rather than a statement.

"Accident?" I fumed, tugging on my hair in frustration. "You practically threw your wallet at them and must I remind you, it has your ID, credit cards, and a few hundred thousand won in cash?"

"I just wanted an excuse to meet them again," Hannah pouted and crossed her arms. "I even left a slip of paper with my phone number!"

Well, at least she's honest.

"Woman, are you out of your mind?" I yelled, almost certain that the veins in my neck were popping out like the Hulk. "A few hundred thousand won!"

Hannah just shrugged nonchalantly while I was digging my nails into my palms, trying to suppress the urge to punch something.

"We'll just have to trust them to give it back then," she grinned before flouncing to the kitchen.

She clearly hasn't experienced the real world.

Rubbing my temples, I collapsed onto the couch and sighed.

At least she didn't leave her car keys with them too.

It was sheer luck that Mrs. Park wasn't home to skin me alive when we entered the house at exactly two o'clock in the morning. Hannah forgot to tell me the fact that she was away on a business, so I guess in a way, she saved me from a premature death.

"Relax, they're nice people, I'm sure they'll return within the next few days," she called and tried to wave away my worries.

"You don't even know them," I fired back, not understanding how she could be so dense.

"I know their birthdays, likes, dislikes, ambitions, must I go on?" Hannah replied, raising an eyebrow as she ripped open a ramyun packet.

"That's all public information," I groaned. "They're celebrities, everyone knows that kind of stuff."

Hannah just sighed at my pessimism and I rolled my eyes. "Underwear Boy doesn't exactly seem like the trustworthy type though," I said, recalling his innocent features that hid a devious sense of mischief.

"I'm not even going to ask who that is," Hannah said, stirring the noodles with a pair of chopsticks. "Isn't Jimin so sweet though?" Hannah swooned, leaning dangerously close to the stove. "He even smiled at me."

"He smiles at everyone," I deadpanned, bursting her bubble. "Green and Pinky clearly didn't like me either."

"You mean Suga and Rap Monster?" she asked, causing me to choke.

"What kind of names are those?" I laughed, imagining Pinky growing horns and a tail while he rapped into a pitchfork.

"Yeah, I get it, you Americans think it's hilarious," Hannah grumbled. "Whatever, they're still talented. Which reminds me, when are you going back?"

"Probably at the end of the year," I shrugged, salivating at the inviting smell ramyun. "The semester is starting in February."

"I'm so proud," Hannah sniffled dramatically and wiped a fake tear. "My dongsaeng is finally starting college."

"You weren't saying that when I left in elementary school," I scoffed. "I distinctly remember you yelling, 'Don't come back for a while,' when we were at the airport."

"Only joking," Hannah smiled.

She handed me a bowl of ramyun and settled for an apple she snatched off the counter. "Why aren't you eating?" I asked, words muffled from the amount of noodles that I already shoved in my mouth.

"If I eat it now, I'll get bloated," Hannah said, making me scoff.

Getting bloated is only a small matter if the deliciousness of ramyun was involved.

"I don't get you," I said, slurping up a noodle and splashing some soup onto my shirt. "No one's going to see you, so you don't have to look presentable."

"You only think that because you're a slob," Hannah said, grimacing when she saw the new stains on my shirt. "Anyway, they'll probably call me tomorrow since it's already so late."

"Desperate," I faked coughed and ignored the glare she shot me. "Whatever. Don't expect me to tag along when you go get your wallet back."

I got up off the couch and headed back to the guest room that the Parks lent to me. Hannah mumbled something, but I couldn't catch the words so I just decided to ignore them instead.

I'm xpecting a full tub of ice cream after staying awake for 18 hours.

 

********

 

"We are not having a repeat of this. I said I'm not going."

"Please? I need support though."

"You still owe me ice cream so I'm not moving until you fulfill your end of the promise."

"I'm letting you stay in my house."

"So?"

"Do you want me to kick you out?"

"Mrs. Park wouldn't let you."

"Even after I tell her that we stayed out until two in the morning yesterday?"

"You'd get in trouble too."

"But you'd get kicked out."

"Fine."

I could already tell that another encounter with those boys was not going to end up well for me. I was getting the feeling that something inappropriate was going to slip out of my mouth and leak into the media. Then I would have an army of insanely devoted fan girls breathing down the back of my neck.

"What are you going to do after this?" I asked as I saw Hannah practically bouncing in excitement. "It's not like you can do the same trick twice." I glanced wearily at her loose grip on the steering wheel as she went straight past the 25 miles per hour speed limit sign at 40 miles per hour.

"Oh, I'll figure something out," Hannah grinned. "Plus, I already have one of their numbers."

I snorted and looked the number that was displayed on her 'Recents' list. "It's probably a company phone or something. They're not stupid enough to call someone they don't know on their personal phones."

"Stop bursting my bubble Michelle," she scowled. "I need to remain positive and become good friends with them and eventually Jimin's wife."

"Good luck with that," I scoffed and glared angrily at the window, where the buildings were flashing by as we headed towards the cafe that I met Jungkook in last night. Hannah nearly strangled me to death in her excitement when she came came to pick me up and when we left the boys in the cafe and got in the car. Then she spent a good ten minutes observing them through the cafe window.

"I'm so excited!" she squealed when she slammed the breaks at a red light, causing me to lurch forward.

"I heard," I retorted sarcastically. "And calm your driving. If you kill us, you won't be able to see them."

Hannah actually seemed worried for a second, but then she realized that I was being sarcastic and rolled her eyes. She muttered something about how I was being ungrateful but the rest was lost in her mumbling. All her negative emotions seemed to vanish as we neared the cafe. I nearly cried when Hannah parked carelessly in the nearest open space, almost scratching the paint of the car. She immediately threw open the door and began to sprint towards the cafe, pulling me along when she saw me stalling.

The bell jingled merrily as we stepped inside, Hannah slightly out of breath because of her sudden burst of energy. The cafe was much more crowded this time, full of people typing on laptops and drinking coffee. In the dark shaded corner of the room, there was a booth that was crammed with eight people, seven in hats and sunglasses and the eighth clicking away on his phone.

"That must be them," Hannah squealed softly into my ear, flapping her hands around her face to, she said and I quote, "cool herself down from their hotness."

"How do you know?" I fired back. "They might just be regular people."

"If they were regular people, why would they be wearing hats and sunglasses indoors and sitting in one booth all the way in the back even though they have so many people?" Hannah sassed, cocking a hip.

"You're smarter than I thought," I grumbled before stalking off towards the booth. I might as well walk there on my own instead of being dragged.

"Excuse me, are you Hannah Park?" the man without the hat and sunglasses asked as I neared the table.

"No, but she is," I said and pointed back at Hannah who was hyperventilating and on the verge of passing out.

She practically goes to all their concerts and sees them all the time. What's the big deal?

"Miss Park, we have your wallet and a proposition to make," the man said and handed it to Hannah, who nodded dumbly and took it with a blank expression.

She is beyond saving.

"We have to film a variety show at Lotte World today and we need a party of ten to get their special promotion discount, and as you can see, we only have eight including myself," the man, who I assumed to be the manager said, gesturing at the boys. "I was hoping that you and your friend would be willing to join us."

Before the manager could even finish, Hannah was already nodding frantically, eyes wide in shock.

"That's great!" the manager smiled and nodded to the boys, who returned his smile. "Just please don't interfere with the filming and as a compromise, the boys have agreed to keep you girls company after the filming is finished."

Hannah was still mute, but I could see that she was struggling not to scream out loud. I, on the other hand, was less than impressed.

Today was supposed to be my rest day. I was going to marathon Disney movies.

Sighing, I decided that I might as well go with it since it would be my first time at Lotte World and I didn't have any money for the bus. The manager suddenly got up and the boys scooted over a little bit to make some room.

"I'll leave you guys to chat then while I go and arrange things with the company," the manager said, gesturing to the empty spots. "We will leave as soon as I get back."

I immediately sank into the nearest seat with a relaxed sigh while Hannah tentatively took the seat next to a guy that I didn't know, who was grinning from ear to ear.

"So I guess we meet again," the person next to me said. I looked to my left to find Jungkook staring back at me.

"I applaud you for stating the obvious," I replied back. He smiled, placed an arm on the table, and leaned against it, all while still staring at me. "Am I so beautiful that you have to stare at me so intently like that Jungkook?" I raised an eyebrow at him when his grin widened even further.

"I'm just trying to figure out the difference between you and a blobfish," he said.

"Touchѐ," I said, mirroring his position and staring back at him.

"So I didn't get your name yesterday," he said. "Want to tell me it?"

"I'm surprised that Hannah didn't tell you through all the blabbing she did yesterday and no, I don't want to tell you it because we're probably never going to meet again."

"You said that last time and look where we are now," he replied, clearly enjoying our verbal banter.

"Why do you even want to know my name?" I said, purposely changing the subject because I didn't have a reply to his last comment.

"I need a name to match the number on my contact list, which you will also be giving me," he deadpanned, sounding totally serious.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you were flirting with me," I said, noticing that the other members were now staring at us in amusement.

"Oh please, if I really wanted to flirt, I would have done so much better," he said cockily, flipping his nonexistent hair.

"Says the one who wears Care Bear underwear," I said.

"Hey, I wear Calvin Klein too," he protested, suddenly sitting up straight.

"Did I hurt your manly pride?" I teased, forcing down the smile that was threatening to break out.

Jungkook was about to reply when one of the boys interrupted. "Hannah-sshi told us that you don't know all of our names yet, so to save our Kookie some face, why don't we introduce ourselves?" He laughed at Jungkook's dirty glare and tussled his hair.

"Seokjin-hyung!" Jungkook whined, brushing his hair back into place.

"I think we've finally found a person Jungkook can't win over," Orange said and smiled at me.

I saw Hannah swoon again out of the corner of my eye.

"Let's introduce ourselves from oldest to youngest then," Jungkook's Seokjin-hyung said.

"I'm Seokjin, or Jin."

I'm getting some maternal instincts from this one.

"I'm Yoongi, or Suga," Green said with an apprehensive glance at me.

Is he still upset about the backstage thing from yesterday?

"Hoseok here, but you can call me J-Hope."

He was one of the members who laughed at Jungkook yesterday. I guess he's cool then.

"I'm Namjoon, or Rap Monster," Pinky said. Like Green, he didn't seem too pleased to meet me.

I wonder how the company got him to agree to that name.

"My name is Jimin. It's very nice to meet you," Orange said with a smile.

This boy is too sweet, I can see why Hannah likes him. I really need to get rid these nicknames.

"I'm Taehyung, but you can call me V," the boy next to Jimin grinned, holding his hand out to me.

I didn't know what to do so I high-fived him, but he seemed happy with that.

He has an interesting smile. Well, I'm probably going to forget his name so let's call him Boxy.

"She already knows me so I don't have to introduce myself," Jungkook said pompously, puffing out his chest.

"Underwear Boy, stopping acting so cocky in front of your hyungs," I said without a pause. The boys snickered while Jungkook's facade dropped.

"How'd you know I'm youngest?" he whined.

"What are you acting so childish all of a sudden?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Seokjin-sshi did say that the introductions were going to be from oldest to youngest and you're last."

"Well, now that my secret is out, I don't have to act cool anymore," Jungkook said.

"Jungkook-ah, your acting made you seem even lamer than you usually are," Boxy chipped in, receiving nodded of agreement from the other members.

"You guys are too mean to me," Jungkook cried, putting a hand over his heart.

The boys ignored him and turned to look at me, causing me to shift awkwardly and avoid the six pairs of eyes.

"So what's your name?" Hoseok asked resting his chin on his hand.

"It's Michelle," I replied, casting a glance at Jungkook, who had his eyebrows furrowed.

"So you tell him instead of me?" Jungkook challenged, crossing his arms.

"Stop butting in, I'm trying to make new friends," I said, making the boys laugh again.

"Hyung, I like her. Can we keep her?" Boxy asked Seokjin who was laughing along with the rest.

"I'll only agree to the adoption if you guys have high-quality food and a king-sized bed," I said, going along with Boxy who shot me a grin, which I returned.

He's already my favorite.

I cast a quick glance over at Hannah but she was in a hushed conversation with Orange and blushing like a tomato.

And I thought for a second she would be left out. I'm expecting a chocolate fountain at the wedding.

"I don't think our dorm is big enough Tae," Pinky said, finally loosening up and dropping his guarded expression. Green was still not budging.

Boxy was about to reply when the tinkling of the bell signaled the manager's return.

"Okay boys, I've settled things with the company so we'll get going now. We have one hour before the filming and there's traffic so let's hurry," the manager recited crisply and shot a smile and Hannah and me before exiting the cafe.

"Well then ladies, let's get going," Pinky said and did an exaggerated bow, making Hannah giggle. I rolled my eyes and headed for the door, feeling Jungkook's presence hovering behind my shoulder.

"I hope you won't be too lonely without me," Jungkook said. I could practically hear his smirk.

"You never know, I might be perfectly fine with Hannah," I said.

Jungkook never got the chance to reply because Boxy appeared next to me and started chatting up a storm.

"So Michelle-sshi, I've decided to hang out with you because the hyungs are telling me to give Hannah-sshi and Jimin-hyung some alone time," he said wiggling his eyebrows.

"Well then Box- I mean Taehyung-sshi, I'm sure we'll have a great time," I said and we exchanged smiles.

Jungkook must have felt left out because he decided to interrupt. "I'm going to tag along too then," he declared and shot me a glare.

"Jungkookie-ah, you have to let me have some time with our new friend," Taehyung protested and lightly pushed Jungkook away from me. Their noise level was steadily increasing, making a few other customers shoot us glares.

"Guys, would you mind giving me some room so I can open the door?" I muttered, as I was sandwiched between them and we were blocking the exit. They immediately moved away with embarrassed chuckles and sheepish smiles.

"Let's go, we're going to be late," Jungkook blurted and dashed through the door to catch up with the others, leaving me and Taehyung to stare after him in confusion.

"Well then," Taehyung said, cocking his head at Jungkook's sudden eagerness. "Let's go!"

What's with Jungkook's sudden mood swing?

I shrugged and followed after Taehyung, who was holding the door open for me.

Must be a PMS.

Hannah was already waiting for me in the car, cheeks dusted an unhealthy red and Taehyung was heading towards the black van where all the boys were waiting. I got into the car and waited for Hannah to explode, but she was unnaturally silent. The band's van in front of us began to move and Hannah wordlessly followed them.

That's strange. Is she in shock or something?

Right when I was about to call her out, the window in the boys' van opened and Taehyung stuck his head out.

"Don't have too much fun without us!" Taehyung shouted and I waved my hand to show that I heard him. Jungkook suddenly stuck his head out too.

"Especially without me!" he yelled and I rolled my eyes.

It definitely was a PMS.

 

~

 

They're going to Lotte World! Chaos will probably ensue so please be patient with me while I cook up all of Taehyung's schemes and Jungkook's bad pick up lines. I guess in this story, the maknae is not so innocent anymore. Oh and I'm making it my goal to post at least once a week, most likely during the weekends. Enjoy.