Quaint Relations

Quaint Relations

There might be triggers but technically it’s not that mature. So, I hope you guys enjoy this lengthy one-shot.

START

*tack*

I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was by the door. Mama was there, sobbing helplessly. Papa was on the other side of the bed, grasping onto his hand. I, being at the age of reason, shook. The sound of the prolonged beep was lingering through my senses as I felt the angels finished in taking someone so dear to me.

~~~

“Pinky?”

I opened my eyes as I saw myself in the fields. I looked up and saw her…

“What is it, Som?” I asked while yawning.

“Nothing…” She gave me that sweet smile as she pets my hair.

It had been three years. I was a wreck at that period of time but there was someone who really helped throughout that period.

Jeon Somi.

The years didn’t suffice the length of our friendship. Despite of her six years of existence, she was willed with a mature heart. With the divorce of her parents, she lived up to it. I would ask myself. How in the world did this kid have the courage to face life’s inevitability?

“Did I sleep too long?” I asked her.

“Nah…” She replied as she pinched my cheeks. “Only ten minutes have passed.”

I nodded and decided to sit up. I looked up the sky, the clouds all puffy, the trees glistening with its leaves, and the tire swing moving in sync with the gush of the wind.

“Let me ask you something.” I began as she leaned on my shoulder.

“What?”

“Have you ever thought of picturesque, same-old, puppy love?”

“Well…I did in pre-school…but it was all too cheesy and corny. I don’t like that kind of stuff and besides, I still have a long way to go. But if you think about it, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that the two are true to their love,” said Somi.

I couldn’t help but agree. She leaned on me as we both relaxed at this wonderful scenery with the wonderful weather.

True…if only I could do it with you…

~~~

“We have a new student, everyone. Please introduce yourself.”

“Hello~ I am Jeon Somi. Nice to meet you all~”

I almost fell to my seat. I looked up again and there she was, wearing our school uniform looking all pretty that everyone in the room could faint over her beauty…even me…

I watch her going to a seat, which I never thought it was so close to me. I sighed and decided to focus on the lesson at hand when she gave me a headlock.

“Yah!” I yelped.

“Where’s the Pinky that I used to know? Not even a hi or hello?” Somi asked as she lets go of me.

“But you said…you’d move to Canada this year.”

“I made my dad change my mind. It’ll be next year.” She said as she moved her desk close to mine. “Don’t talk about that, okay? By the looks of you, you seem relaxed. Aren’t you going to miss me?” She pouted.

“Why would I? You’re so feisty I could die watching you all the time.” I mumbled.

“Oh, you!” She gave my head a little slap.

The class was about to start. Somi lets go of me as she moved her desk back to its position. The classes were the usual boredom filled with self-discovery that I fiddled my pencil and stole gazes at Somi.

This has been the worst stage of my life. Maybe I’m the brink of puberty or maybe I’m just rancid. But as the days went by, I couldn’t get my eyes off of Somi. She’s gone prettier by the days. I don’t know if I can confess but you know the usual fear of losing a friend. I’m a wuss to begin with so that hinders me of my feelings. But it’s better that way. She’s going to leave anyway…

~~~

Whispers of admiration filled my hearing. I smirked as I continued to study. I never thought I could be this attractive to the human eye. It had been my habit since I got here in school. I felt like I’m some deity…everybody loves me…

“Pinky?!”

I looked up and saw Somi. She gave me that hurtful look but I shrug it off. I gave her my usual smile as I faced her.

“What is it, my dear maknae?” I asked.

“What’s with the students here?” She asked back.

“Haven’t you heard? I’m the queen of this campus.” I sat by the chair where some boys crowded around. “I rule the campus, Somi.”

“You’re crazy…” Somi mumbled.

“What’s crazy being admired by many, Somi? Aren’t you happy for me?”

“I’m not. You’ve changed, Joo Kyulkyung.” She said, disappointed.

I gritted my teeth and grabbed her. She yelped as the rest of the students cooed at us. I gave them endless glares and they left us. I looked at Somi again as she cowered.

“I didn’t change, Somi. I’m still the Pinky you used to know. Don’t be scared of me-“

*slap*

“Don’t talk to me again…” She cried.

My senses tingled as I grabbed her to a private sector and pulled her close to me. She yelped but I sealed that in a kiss.

What’s gotten into me? Why am I like this?

~~~

My assault didn’t end there. I was like a ty Casanova, an excelling Casanova. I never abandoned my excellence in the academe and the extras. I made a name for myself, everyone respected me and everyone loved me…but why doesn’t she notice me??

“It’s been your second year being the President of our student body, Pinky. Not only that, you’re the President of the Pipa Club, a Secretary of the Dance Club, and a model for the promotions of our school,” said Sejeong.

“Yeah…don’t you get tired of it?” Chaeyeon asked her.

I chuckled. I put my pencil down as I spoke:

“Why would I? Someone triggers me so I have to step up at my game at all times.”

*ring*

“Hello?” I answer my phone right away.

“Come to the veranda, stat. I need to talk to you about something-“ I hung up instantly and went off.

*at the veranda*

“Yah…*pant*…running on 10 flights of stairs is ty. When I got to the 7th flight, I realized something…you have something serious to talk about??”

“You and your guesses…” Somi mumbled.

I watch her as she went closer to me. She had a face towel on her hand and wiped the sweat off of my face.

“You didn’t have to rush here. I can wait, Pinky,” said Somi.

I sighed and regained my composure. I waited for her of her agenda of meeting me.

“The year is almost over and…I wanted you to know that this may be the last time that we see each other.” Those words hit me like a stake. “I was wondering if…you’d like to hang out with me this weekend.”

“Sorry…but I have plans.” I replied.

“Oh…I see…” She nodded and lowered her head.

I didn’t like seeing her so down. I checked on my calendar on my phone and I spotted that specific date.

“You can come to my house next Monday.” I mumbled and made my motion to leave.

“Wait…” I heard her and felt a hand beyond mine.

Don’t make this harder for yourself…

I shoved my hand off of hers and ran away. The incident played on my head and I couldn’t get it out. If she does hang out with me, she’ll see my dark side again. I swore to myself that I’d never hurt her again…

~~~

“Happy Birthday, Joo Kyulkyung!!”

My big apartment was filled with people as I celebrate my birthday. Chaeyeon, Sejeong, and Yeonjung were with me, as they were my squad. There were also my admirers whom I invited and my party couldn’t get much sweeter…but then…I was hoping she would come.

“Looking for someone?” Sejeong raised an eyebrow at me.

I didn’t intend to answer her as I continued to wait outside. Sejeong coos with her ‘ahjusshi’ tone and Yeonjung had to join her.

“Looking for the maknae?”

“Shut up.” I mumbled.

I could hear them laughing. I continued to search outside when I finally saw her. I was so happy that she came. But then, she gave me that disappointed look. It triggered me again.

“You’re rolling your eyes at me?!” I asked angrily.

“How can I not? Why did you turn your party into a nightclub?!” She said, crossing her arms.

“Come on.” I said as I wrapped an arm around her. “It’ll be fun.”

I felt Somi struggle but I held her tight. She was right. The place felt like a pigsty but it was my thing. I made the theme like we’re in some nightclub because I like it. It’s my day and I make the rules.

 I saw the girls mumbling and winked at me and I saw Somi getting uncomfortable. I shrugged that off and lets her sit with Chaeyeon, being the most civilized and most quiet person in the squad.

“I’ll be right back.” I said to Somi.

“Pinky…I want to talk with you, just the two of us.” Somi said to me.

“That’ll wait later, okay?”

I left her there and I partied like a wild animal. My admirers were there as they charm me. I wasn’t appealed. After all, my heart already belonged to someone. I was engulfed on the party. Alcohol filled my senses, the music boomed, and cheers and yells were heard as we dance our heart out. It was all fun and games…when all of a sudden, everything went blurry and my world darkened.

~~~

I woke up sloppily, the sting of the alcohol still on my system. I tried to get up to puke on the bathroom when I did…and it followed with a power shriek.

“What the , Pinky!!! This is bull!” I focused my vision and there was Somi, her shorts covered with my gastric .

“OMG-I’m so sorry-let me get you a towel-“

*SLAP*

“You’re staying put!! I’ll change myself.” Somi grew pissed as she went.

Her slap stung like hell. I wanted to catch up to her when I saw Chaeyeon pulling me and pushing me to lie down on the sofa. I also heard Sejeong and Yeonjung.

“You need to obey Somi and rest. We’ll clean up the place for you,” said Chaeyeon.

I nodded and laid down. Jesus Christ…how did it all happen so quickly? But the real question was: What happened last night?

*ten minutes later*

“Wake up!”

I sat up hastily. My brain is still a bit hazy but I focused as I saw Somi. She was already clean and she was wearing my clothes. I gulped. I never thought she looked pretty in my clothes.

“Are you listening?!” I felt a slap on my face as I went back to reality. “You owe me after of your little act last night!”

“What? Last night?” I was so confused.  For the first time in forever, I felt dumb. “What happened last night?”

Somi showed me a video on her phone. I looked at it and I gulped. I was in it as I partied too much. I saw my admirers giving me drinks and I did such dirty things. I saw myself kissing a girl and danced like a stripper by the tall lampshade.

“H-How did you…”

“I asked Yeonjung, getting the video from one of your admirers, and she confiscated all cellular devices of everyone you invited, fearing that they might spread it in the school. I had to protect your image, Pinky. The school cannot know that their President was showing a bad example. I mean, come on, what would the administration think of that? It could lead you to suspension.” Somi explained.

“Thank you…I’m sorry I puked all over you.” I apologized and felt ashamed.

“Whatever. I need to go. I have a date to go to.” I heard her say as she gets her duffel bag.

Date? I thought Somi was single. She never told me that? How come she’s keeping secrets from me?!

“Hey! You never told me you were dating someone!” I yelled as I held her arm.

“So what? It’s none of your business!” Somi yelled.

“Who are you dating?!” I asked again.

“It’s Kim Sohye.” She answered. I couldn’t believe this. “Kim Sohye, the weak-hearted girl?!”

“She’s not a weak-hearted girl. She’s the sweetest person ever, unlike you.” Somi mumbled.

“Hey! Don’t you know that person already has someone? You know Kang Mina, right? She’s her first love-“

“I don’t care! I like Sohye. And if that Mina is in the way, then I will do everything to make Sohye mine.”

I froze as she left the house, slamming the door. I was taken aback as she said it.

What have I been doing? I thought Somi had that spot for me? She has someone else already?

“Damnit!!” I grabbed the vase and slammed in on the wall.

I screamed and broke. I placed my bloody hand by my forehead and contemplated.

Why did I just let her go? Why didn’t I confess earlier? Why didn’t I grab the chance? Is it because she’s going to leave me?

Somi…why?

~~~

I made some changes with my usual routine. I maintained my good image in the school while I watch Somi. I was like a stalker but I was so curious. I followed her quietly and she lets her cheerful self out as I saw her with the weak-hearted kid.

I felt jealous. Somi showed that side of me in the past. But then again, I was showing such a bad image so she must’ve showed it to someone she likes. But bull! Of all people, why Kim Sohye?!

“Sohye-ya~I like you~” I heard her.

My ears rang as she said it so cutely in front of her. I peeked at them and my blood boiled when Sohye was rejecting her. I may sound paranoid but it’s what I’m sensing towards Sohye.

Tch! If you can’t reciprocate with her feelings, then go away! Let me do the reciprocation!

I’m losing it. My feelings for Somi had gone to an extent. If felt like a possessive woman as thoughts of being the only one for Somi were lingering. But what right do I have to do that? Somi hates me now. I wanted to make up for being an idiot but she can’t stay with me. She’s leaving, I can’t stop being the idiot I am, and I have no place in Somi’s heart anymore.

Our friendship meant everything to me but in return, I wrecked that friendship.

I watched them go somewhere and I stopped following them. I sighed as I just went home, contemplating of all the twisted events that I have involved myself into.

~~~

The dreadful accept of loss triggered my mind for several days. From going to school to lying down to sleep, the thoughts were still there. But one day, something in me blossomed: it was the fact that I had to step up and confess to her, no matter what the circumstances.

After finishing all my obligations and priorities in school, I followed her again. She was with Sohye again as the weak-hearted girl gone home with her. I hid by the usual spot as Sohye was behind Somi.

“See you tomorrow?” I heard Somi ask Sohye.

“Umm…Somi?” Sohye began.

“Yes?” Somi’s eyes gleamed, her hands holding Sohye’s.

I felt that trigger again. But I can’t flip out, knowing the consequences if I did such thing. I took control of myself and continued to listen.

“I’m sorry…but I can’t do this anymore.” Sohye lets go of Somi’s hand.

“What are you talking about?”

“I know you like me but…I don’t feel the same way. I’m really sorry, Somi…but someone else already stole my weak heart and nothing will change that.”

My blood infuriated of that rejection. She has no right to do that to Somi! But how could she?!

“But…I like you. Please, Sohye…I can take your suffering, okay? Please…” Somi begged and hugged her from the back.

Somi…no…

“I can’t…” Sohye shoved her away.

She ran, leaving Somi by the door. Tears lingered on her face and I can’t bear to see her like that. I got out of my hiding place to ease her sadness but she looked at me with such condescension.

“Som…” I went near her.

She backed away. I gulped but I had to be at her aid. I went closer and she backs away until she was pinned at the door.

“Som…I’m not going to hurt you…”

She froze by the door and I grabbed that chance to hug her. She tried to push me away but I held her tight, not letting her go. She yells at me and releases all her hate towards me. I didn’t care about that. I deserve to be her stress reliever and I deserved all the hate for being such a jerk.

“Go away…go away…” She sniffled.

It hurts me so much. Nonetheless, she calmed and I felt her arms around me, hugging me tight. Her fingers crumple themselves on my shirt. The rain started pouring as I felt Somi getting weaker.

“Som-“

“Stay with me…” She mumbled.

I got a good look at her and she felt so drained due to her emotions. I didn’t hesitate and carried her. It was a struggle to get inside and with no one home but herself, I felt a bit tensed but I swore to be at her aid. I laid her by her bed and tucked her to sleep.

“Sleep well…” I mumbled as I pet her hair.

I went to leave…when she held my hand. My eyes dilated and I face her once again.

“Pinky…”

She said my name. I could almost shake, wanting to cry, but I sighed as I sat by the bed, my back facing her. I felt something by my back, I faced her again and there she was, sleeping on my back, her arms around my waist.

As much as I want to let her sleep, I can’t stay in this position forever. I adjusted her and let her lie down her bed again. I decided to sit up next to her. She scurried close to me as she hugged me on her sleep. I couldn’t help my smile as I run a hand through her hair, tugging strands by her ear. I wiped that tear on her eye and watch her for the night.

~~~

I woke up the next day and I gasped. The room was already empty. I scurried to get up and opened all closets and drawers. All of them were empty.

Somi...no…it can’t be…

I went down and checked every room. Nothing was there. I went down to the living room and there was someone.

“Who are you? Where’s Somi?” I asked right away.

“Good morning. I’m Kim Chungha, a friend of Somi. I came here to tell you that she left already.”

“Where did she go? Is she coming back?” I asked again.

“She already left for Canada. Her time of return is uncertain…” She said.

“Did she leave anything?” I asked for the third and last time.

“No…but she left me this house. I’ll be living here with my girlfriend, Nayoung,” said Chungha.

I didn’t ask again and was obliged to meet Chungha. I told her that I’ll be leaving and she said that she was happy meeting me. As I closed the door of her now-sold home, I walked slowly. With every step, tears fell on my face. What am I going to do now? It felt like dying. I can’t believe my best friend; the love of my life…was already gone.

~~~

“Sohye is in second place. How useless…” I mumbled.

“Woah!! Second place...” Yeonjung wowed.

“What's with the approach, Pinky? You should be nice to her,” said Sejeong.

“I can't. I heard my crush Somi admires her and left because she rejected her feelings. My blood boils when she has a for the weak hearted Kim Sohye. We may have been close a long time ago but it's been eight years since I saw her. I despise her now...”

Close? It was my term for ‘we were classmates’. It didn’t mean anything out of the ordinary, even with the usual. My despise for Sohye never withered ever since that day.

“Woah...” Yeonjung mumbled.

“Be thankful Chaeyeon here is her roommate.”

Jung Chaeyeon faced us and pouted. She checked on Sohye's profile and sighed.

“Not that I hate her or anything but I can't let any weak hearted person be a part of my businesses. I hope she’s not reckless,” said Chaeyeon.

“Come on. The ceremony will start soon.”

The four of us exited our office and the students greeted us. You’re wondering? We’re the SBG of the Alpha Battalion of Ewha Womans University and I, Joo Kyulkyung, still maintained my presidency ever since I got here. For my squad, they maintained their positions and were by my back no matter what. That is why I continued to hang out with them.

“Slow down, Chaeyeon.” Sejeong said.

“Sorry…let me search for Sohye. See you at the podium,” said Chaeyeon, running like a princess.

The three of us sighed. We got to the auditorium and students gathered on Kim Sohye. I was a bit flustered. She was acting and looking all strong, she even dyed her hair. Sejeong and Yeonjung but I wasn’t affected by that. It takes more than pizzazz to affect Joo Kyulkyung.

All of us got to the podium as we watch the administration begin the program. Doyeon, my fellow President of the Omega Battalion was also there with her set of officers: Choi Yoojung, Lim Nayoung, and my friend, Kim Chungha.

“Wassup’ Chungha?” I smiled and she hugged me.

“Fine.” She smiled.

“Yo, Stone Nayoung.” I greeted her girlfriend.

She gave me her stoic look but greeted me when Chungha nudged her. I smiled for the couple then sighed as I was reminded of the little dream I had.

I dreamt that Somi and I would be together.

But it was all far gone. I moved on. Chaeyeon came back and as she and Yeonjung talked.

“Yah, Yeonjung, is it me or Kim Sohye has changed?” I heard Chaeyeon.

“She's like that because Kang Mina isn't here,” said Yeonjung.

“Why would she separate with Mina? Could she just be with her in the same university?” Chaeyeon asked back.

“I am uncertain. Maybe it was her decision.”

I laughed for the weak-hearted girl. How stupid of her. How could she attend an orientation by Death not knowing the possibilities of her life due to her condition?

I heard my name and I went out, saying my speech. When I spoke, I saw the faces of the students, showing a bit of criticism. I didn’t care much the less as I went on, hoping the torment of speaking in front of a crowd would be over soon enough.

I ended, leaving a speechless crowd and when I got back, I got a slap from Yeonjung.

“You’re crazy!”

“What? I hate speeches. I just babble.” I mumbled.

I watch Chaeyeon leave again to sit with Sohye as I heard the speaker welcome the first placer of the exam. For us, we were never told of the first placer and we only find out in this ceremony. As she got on the stage, I heard gasps, even I was taken aback.

It was Kang Mina.

My eyes weren’t off of her as I felt a little thump on my chest. I give a little smile and I couldn’t help but admire her. She may have a round face and was a bit chubby but she was the cutest. She had her own beauty and I couldn’t help myself from admiring her.

“Yah!! Why is your hair dyed in faded brown?!!”

Her voice boomed as it sent a feedback, making us cringe of her voice and the resonation. I almost winced but my smile remained plastered on my face.

“Kim Sohye, you idiot!! It'll take you forever to get rid of me! Why didn't you tell me that you will study here? In fact, you don't tell me of anything anymore! I thought we wouldn't keep secrets to each other!”

The officers and I were taken aback. I couldn't help but admire her more.

“Mina has always been a badass,” said Yeonjung.

“I got to hand it to her.” Sejeong chuckled.

“She's cool and great. I think I got myself my second crush.” I mumbled.

“MiSo has been my ship. Sorry.” Yeonjung mumbled.

“I bet you and Somi, my friend. Sorry too,” said Sejeong.

What the , Kim Sejeong? Why do you have to remind her again?!

“Don't get all too clingy on her, Pinky.” Sejeong added

“Do something stupid and I'll kick your , unnie. We're still kids.” Yeonjung said.

I smirked. I eyed Mina again and said:

“Don't worry. I'll make her an adult.”

Mina finished her speech and went towards Sohye. She gripped her ribbon and almost choked her. Sohye struggled as the both of them went out the auditorium. I gazed at Mina and thought:

Maybe she’ll suffice my lonely heart this time…

~~~

I heard that Kang Mina had a name for herself in the university. Not only was she smart, she was also athletic. A lot of girls admired her so much…and I was her number one admirer. I shared that to the squad and they just teased me.

“Save your breath, Joo Kyulkyung. She doesn't even like you,” said Sejeong.

“She will for I am Joo Kyulkyung...” I spat.

I noticed some girls watching over us by the glass. I heard them chanting my name and being the y self that I was, I entertained my beloved admirers. Mina happened to pass by as I chanted to the girls of their idols and they did.

“Yeonjung-ah~”

“Sejeong-ah~”

“Kyulkyung-ah~ Mina-ya is so lucky! Kyulkyung-ah always notices her,” said one student.

I noticed Mina freeze. Some students were asking her as she stomped and inhaled.

“If you're just messing with someone, you'd better find someone else. I'll tell you clearly and only once. I have someone else who is more decent than an annoying person such as yourself!”

Sejeong and Yeonjung chuckled. I snickered as Mina crossed her arms in frustration.

“You won't be saying that for long, cutie. I'm certain that one day you'll come to my side at your free will.”

“Heck that will happen...” Mina spat.

“You'll come. For sure...”  I finished.

She stormed off. I smiled.

Why is she so adorable?

~~~

I was chilling with Yeonjung and Sejeong in the bathhouse and Chaeyeon was at the other side with Sohye. Being Sohye’s roommate, Chaeyeon was there on her aid. I didn’t mind…but I wonder of that?

Is it because of my little bro?

I hissed and shrugged it off. Jumping off of that topic, I talk about something else.

“This year's punishment game is going to be a blast.”

“What are you up to now?” Sejeong wondered.

“Well it's going to be a blast because she will steal a kiss from the President of the Alpha Battalion. Me.”

I feel Sohye froze and I hid my smirk.

“What is it, Sohye? Is it a problem?”

“Not really...but that's...”

“Hmm...what do you think?” I asked again.

“You're joking.” Sohye answered.

“But it isn't.” I said again. “According to school rules, the first placer of the Omega Battalion will face the Punishment Game. She will come to my room on her free will and will steal a kiss.” I added a wink.

“What if she doesn't?” Sohye raised an eyebrow.

“Then I'll do something special to her.” Kyulkyung smirked.

I felt Sohye getting triggered by me. My inner being was cheering, doing somersaults.

That’ll show you not to mess with me…

*two hours later*

I was at my room, sitting on my chair as I waited. I was getting a kiss from my new crush. How can I not be excited about it?

*creak*

There was Kang Mina in a y outfit. I smiled and applauded. She was so beautiful.

I watch her walk towards me, fidgeting a little. I sat properly and asked:

“Is this the cutie's first kiss?” I asked with my gentlest voice as Mina was right in front of me.

“I'm sorry but I'm not as innocent as you think.” Mina said.

“Huh?”

“Don't move.” Mina straddled me and ran a finger on my cheek.

I gulped, my heart beating ten-folds. Mina smirked and leaned closer.

“If you move, I won't be able to steal a kiss from you, right?”

I gulped and felt her breath by my lips. I blushed as my I closed my eyes shut. I felt something soft against my lips and I was .

Wait a minute…is this…paper?

I was too late to react as my noises were muffled. I felt a hand by my lips and felt something papery on my mouth. I opened my eyes and saw her off of me. I felt my lips were dry as I cough a little.

*SLAM*

“Stop it!” Sohye stormed inside the room.

“What are you doing? Hurry up and get away from her!” Sohye pulled Mina away from me.

Sohye held Mina's face. Mina gulped as Sohye noticed a smudge of lipstick on her lips. I gulped and felt the urge seeping in my whole being.

“Sohye-ya...”

“I'm sorry for hurting you. I did all I could to endure but you and I know I cannot let you do such a thing. But why did you have to get first place, you idiotic cutie?” Sohye babbled and got rid of the smudge off of her lips


“You think I would actually kiss the annoying President?” Mina asked as she showed a tissue with a kiss mark.

I pictured myself and I felt something restraining my arms. I looked up and my wrists were tied together. It hit me…

“Well...I wanted to try out the lipstick when you got in and I got some on my lips.” Mina added.

“Cutie, you're so mean.” I remarked despite of my state.

“Yah, Kyulkyung. Why are you wearing lipstick?” Sohye asked me.

“No reason, really. I thought I was really getting that kiss but she suddenly tied my wrists and puts lipstick on me. She puts tissue on and puts the tissue inside my mouth.” I explained.

“So I win against the annoying, erted President.” Mina winked.

“How harsh of you...” I said.

Sohye and Mina left the room. I broke free from my grasp and closed the door and knocked on my closet. Sejeong and Yeonjung came out and laughed at me like I’m some kind of idiot. But being the head of them, I had to look cool.

“I lost for now but I won't this time...”

~~~

“What the actual are you doing, you Chinese idiot?!”

“Come on. Join the tennis club. I heard from Doyeon you wanted to play tennis.” I cooed.

I was at the archery club. Knowing Mina to be a member from Doyeon, I started my plan on courting her in my own way.

“Yeah...until I knew you were one of the captains!” Mina yelled back.

“I wore this y skirt for you. You should wear more of these to show your y legs-”

“Say another ty word and I'll shoot you!” Mina aimed her arrow at me.

Wow…how feisty…

“You already did...to my heart.” I winked and made a heart sign.

I knew she was going to flip out. I ran away from the archery club’s building as Mina yelled at me and almost threw her bow at me, even. I smiled again.

How could I admire the cutie so much?

I smiled and decided to inspect the campus. I took a peek on the home economics room and I saw Sohye. I thought of something that I stayed by the benches and waited for her session to be finished.

*afterwards*

“Sohye.” I called.

“What?” Sohye asked.

“I need you to come with me.”

Sohye didn't want to deal with me, that’s for sure. I didn’t either…but I had to talk something to her. Then again, she nodded and followed me.

*at the swimming pool*

I cooed. I was gazing at the girls in the swimming team with the 'assets' well displayed. I was carrying my duffel bag with a spare drink as I gave one to Sohye.

“You want one?”

“Are you trying to kill me?” Sohye asked.

“Of course, not. I just asked you because I already knew. How could I forget us back in elementary?” I said and downed my drink.

“Say...why did you transfer here? I heard that there was another university close to home? But why choose a boarding university? Was it because to separate yourself from the cutie due to your condition?” I asked again.

“Well...my little brother was like you. He was always in and out of the hospital, never knowing the triggers come and go. My parents lived their lives on the edge...”

“And your little brother?” Sohye asked.

“He died. He was still six years old.” I dropped my drink and saw Sohye gasp.

“But it's not that surprising. I mean, come on, a heart ailment already became a common non-communicable disease. Now because of that, it became utterly disturbing. Their devotion towards a person, who already met Death himself, women shed their tears...”

“You think I don't know that? I hated that fact since day one because I hate it that I tried to leave her. I left Mina so that she wouldn't cry for me anymore and suffer because of me!!” Sohye yelled.

“Then keep it up. Do what you really intend to do. Don't give up on it.” I said and left her.

I gritted my teeth as it reminded me of that incident. I wasn’t supposed to remember it, much less that incident when SHE left me. It triggered me again and I had to make that weak girl suffer and have Mina to myself.

~~~

“Hey, bro...” I greeted.

I was in the cemetery with my mother. It was the death anniversary of my little brother. Despite of trying to forget him and his sufferings, I never forgot his love towards me and my family.

“Eomma, shall we visit Appa too?” I asked her.

“Of course, Jieqiong.”

We both went to the far side of the cemetery and visited Appa’s grave. Yeah. The pain in my heart grew again. With two loved ones dead, who wouldn’t become a wreck?

After visiting, my mom and I went to eat. She also gave me my allowance and by the time I got to the university, I said my goodbye.

“Take care of yourself, okay?” Eomma pats my head and I nodded. “I love you, Jie~” She said and kissed my cheek.

“I love you too, Ma.” I replied.

She boarded on her car and left. I sigh as I went inside. I didn’t have much to do at the office so I went to the archery club’s area. The last visit on the archery club didn’t stop me. I came to see her again…and was ready for her cute backfires once again.

“Do you want to get hit?” Mina aimed her bow and arrow at me.

“Visiting as always~♡” I cooed as I saw Mina.

“I thought you were on a day off to visit your little brother,” said Mina.

“I already did. Why? Did you get lonely here?” I asked again.

“Want me to be the reason of your death?!” Mina choked me.

“I was in the graveyard…” Kyulkyung began and Mina lets go.

I grew serious. I grabbed another bow and arrow and aimed at the bulls eye.

“My little brother died at the age of six due to a heart disease just the same as Sohye’s.”

I hit the bulls eye. Mina gulped as I place the equipment back in their places.

“You like Sohye?” I asked again.

“I love her.” Mina answered.

“Give up. Won't she probably die?”

*slap*

“If you ever say in front of my face again, I will kill you!”

“Cutie, you don’t understand. You don’t know what it’s like to love someone and see them disappear before your very eyes. Even if five years have passed, I still remember my little brother. He would say 'Noona, play with me' or 'Don’t cry Noona. I'll be fine' yet he died!!” I teared up. “Sohye may be a nice girl but don’t get too close to her and don’t you dare fall in love with her. I’m begging you. I know this is none of my business but seeing you like this hurts me so much…” I said as she hugged Mina tight. “Stop loving Sohye.” I cried.

“Let go!!” Mina struggled onto my grasp.

“I won’t.” I shook my head as my hug on Mina got tighter.

Mina punched my stomach. I fell on the floor and I saw Mina clench her fist.

“You want me to stop loving her? It’s way too late for that! I don’t care what you and other people will say, I love Sohye and nothing will change that!! If only you can do the same to Somi…”

Mina stormed off. I was still sprawled on the floor as I clenched my fist. I couldn’t believe Mina wouldn’t want to give up and that she reminded me of her and the little incident I made when she came to be by the crowd. I didn’t want to hear it again. I moved on.

That was in the past, Cutie. Don’t you see that I want you now?

~~~

EWU’s Intramural came and being the President with Doyeon, we were encouraging everyone to participate. I was ecstatic as everyone did participate…even the weak girl.

I watched by the basketball court as Mina was playing. I whistled and watched by the twenty-foot podium as I admire her again. But when she fell down and got an injury, I grew pissed of the opponents. I wanted to storm there and give them a piece of me when Sohye got to the court and substituted Mina.

What the-Kim Sohye! Are you crazy?! Are you getting yourself killed again?

“You’re seeing this, Pinky? Sohye’s supposed to cheer, not play,” said Doyeon.

“I know that. I need to get to them.” I said as I got down the podium.

The flight of stairs and the crowd didn’t help me in getting there before she goes on another breakdown. I could them hear cheer. Maybe Sohye was playing a good game…but that didn’t matter! She shouldn’t do these things. It’ll cost her life!

I was already at the ground as I scurry myself, making way so that I can get there. But as I heard gasps and felt the crowd getting a bit tight, I scurried even faster. I got out of the crowd and there was Mina, crying and nudging Sohye to wake up. Chaeyeon was there as she called.

“CALL THE AMBULANCE NOW!” I yelled at her.

She nodded hastily. I helped Sejeong make way as I went to carry Sohye close to the ambulance. As I met with the vehicle, some paramedics helped me carry her towards a bed. They told me to stay back and I did, watching them settle Sohye down.

I panted and Mina passed by me, running towards the vehicle. I held her hand before she could go and looked at Chaeyeon.

“Chaeyeon, come with Sohye-”

Mina shoved herself away from my grasp and came with Chaeyeon. I froze and watched the ambulance leave. I sighed and saw Mina cry before she left with Chaeyeon. That sight made me grit my teeth as I thought of it.

Make her cry again Kim Sohye and I swear I'll take her away from you!!

~~~

“Where’s Kim Sohye’s room?”

“At Room 32, ma’am.” The nurse answered with a giggle.

I nodded, smiled and thanked her, and went towards the said room, a bouquet of roses on my hand. I got inside the room and there was Sohye with her Eomma. I bowed and greeted her mother. She left us and I greeted Sohye, who looked away at me.

“You're happy to see me, aren't you?” I cooed.

“I don't even like you to begin with…” Sohye mumbled.

“Come on! I was really worried about you-” I was serious but then a y woman passed by.

“ert…” I heard Sohye mumble as I couldn’t help but ogle at the woman.

“I change my mind. I'm not letting you take care of Mina.” She added.

That’s just peachy of you, Kim Sohye…

“That's right! Don't leave her to the Chinese ,” said Chaeyeon as Sejeong and Yeonjung were with her.

“ off.” I cursed.

The four of us gathered around Sohye as we checked on her and made fun of her. To be honest, my squad knew my concerns on the weak girl. Even if I despise her because my crushes admire her more than I do, I couldn’t help myself but to care for Sohye.

After all, my little bro was like her…

Sohye laughed along with us and we heard a booming voice across the hospital.

“Penguin~~~” It was Mina.

Mina came inside and hugged her tight. I looked away, feeling a bit jealous, as the other three squealed. Mina broke from the hug, kissed Sohye's cheek, and almost choked her.

“DON'T YOU EVER TRY PLAYING AGAIN! DON'T YOU KNOW I COULD KILL YOU AGAIN BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU PULLED AT THE FIELD?!”

“S-Sorry…” Sohye gulped.

Mina lets go and hugged Sohye gently. Sohye hesitated to hug her but in the end, she did.

“Don't make me worry again…” Mina whispered as Sohye hugged her tight.

I sighed. Well, the two of them were cute. I distracted myself and got the bouquet I bought and placed it on the vase when…

*crack*

It can’t be…


“Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to land at Incheon Airport. Please make sure one last time your seat belt is securely fastened. The flight attendants are currently passing around the cabin to make a final compliance check and pick up any remaining cups and glasses. Thank you.”

I was sighing, stressed even. Someone special to me is in the hospital that I have to get there as soon as possible.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Incheon Airport. Local time is 3:15 P.M and the temperature is 26 degrees Centigrade. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about. Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight. If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you. On behalf Korean Air and the entire crew, I’d like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day!”

Finally! I got my stuff and went to the departure area. I got a text from her mother that she’s staying at a certain hospital…and in turns out it’s my favourite hospital.

“Taxi!” I called as I got to the exit.

It didn’t take that long. I took a pit-stop towards the mansion to put my stuff and rode again towards the hospital. As I got in, I was greeted by my old doctors and nurses as my little feet scurried towards the room where SHE was.

Sohye-ya…I can finally see you again…

I got in…and I was greeted by sudden looks and a broken vase. I saw them…Sejeong, Chaeyeon, Mina, my beloved Sohye…and someone I didn’t expect.

“Somi…”

Pinky…

It took a while for me and Kyulkyung to lock our gazes…but I shrugged it off as I need to meet my agenda of coming here. I saw Sohye and Mina and they were hugging each other.

I saw Mina giving me an angry look as she hugged Sohye tighter. I gulped as I saw the two.

Tch! Sohye’s mine to begin with…

“Mina…can I?” Somi asked permission.

“No.” Mina mumbled.

“Let go for a moment, Mina,” said Sohye.

Mina nodded and lets go. I got my chance and hugged Sohye tight as I grew worried for her.

“Somi, it's been eight years since…how did you get here??” Sohye asked.

“I took a flight from Canada and flew all the way here. I got the news from your mother that you were admitted again. *sigh*…I'm so glad you're okay…” I said and hugged Sohye again.

“Excuse me…” I heard Kyulkyung.

I hugged Sohye tenderly…but then…something in me felt uncomfortable as I heard Kyulkyung say those words. And based on I feel, Kyulkyung’s squad were feeling a bit tensed and I might’ve triggered Mina at some point.

Even if Sohye rejected me, I never gave up. I still love her…so why would they fuss about it?

~~~

The visit was settled. I wanted to give Sohye one last hug but Mina was there. I cursed a bit as I felt the jealousy lingering on my veins. I sighed and decided to try again next time.

“You need to go home.”

I looked around and saw Kyulkyung leaning by the door. Chaeyeon and the rest left already and there she was, sitting by the benches.

“Why should I listen to you?” I asked her back.

“I’m worried. You’ve been on a long trip and here you are, wandering and seeing Sohye.” She said, leaning on the wall. “Isn’t jetlag supposed to affect you?”

“It’s none of your concern, Kyulkyung. How about you? Shouldn’t you leave?” I spat.

“I’m waiting for Mina.” She answered.

Heh…so you’ve found a target, now?

“But she doesn’t like me so…I’ll go ahead.” She answered and began to leave.

A sting on my chest hits me. I gulped as I looked at her, walking away. I felt tears on my face as I watch her go…

Don’t go, Pinky…

~~~

I was at the mansion. I sighed as I was bedridden. I got a call from my father and told me that Dr. Kang was visiting.

Yes. Dr.Kang, my favourite doctor and the father of my arch-enemy in love…

I watch my hand as I got my dose. I held onto my stomach and there was a line.

I am a person diagnosed with gastritis. It’s supposed to be an acute disease but it’s has been frequent. At age six, I was operated. Hence, I got this line by the stomach. None of my friends knew this…but Pinky did…

Pinky…Joo Kyulkyung...she was the Chinese that had a soft heart. She cared for me so much. I was aware of that and to be honest, I almost developed my feelings but…friendships should never be wrecked because of love. There might be circumstances…

But she became too good and too bad for me. She was admired by everyone and where does that lead me? Lesser moments and lesser opportunities mean lesser possibilities to be with her. She embraced fame too much…and she became too much of her y self that she even had to be the worst person ever.

She had the face of an angel but the heart of a devil…

*ring*

I asked a maid to get the door for me. I waited for a while and during that time, I decided to call Sohye.

Kim Sohye was my crush. Despite being dubbed as the weak girl, she was different. She was so kind, caring, and was so sweet. Both of our mothers were great friends, which is why we knew each other. We were also classmates in elementary but she was closer to Mina than any of us were. We got to know each other when we met at the mall and shared contacts and frequently, whenever I needed something, I call her and was there for me.

I liked her because of that and now…I love her.

But Kang Mina was a hindrance to that. Sohye told me she loved Mina. But that didn’t stop me. I tried. I tried to be good, to be appealing to her and tried to confess my feelings for her…but it was all rejected.

It didn’t stop me. I was determined to try again whenever I see her. And with this chance to be back in my birthplace, I was so happy.

“Hello…Somi?”

“Sohye-ya, please meet me here at the mansion. It’s lonely…please?”

“Yes…sure.” Sohye replied.

“Okay~see you.” I said and hung up.

“Somi?” I looked at the door and there was Dr. Kang.

“Good afternoon, doctor.” I greeted.

“Ready for your medication?” He asked and I nodded.

~~~

“Appa?!”

I heard them and looked. I was smiling as Sohye finally came…

“I gave her medicine just now. I still have to wait for another four hours to give her another dose before I leave.”

The doctor left us. I was so happy for Sohye’s visit…but then…Mina came with her.

“I had to bring her along. She wanted to come,” said Sohye as they sat down.

I chuckled. Sohye did too.

“How were you back at Canada?” Sohye began.

“I was great. I went on with my usual life and finally got to know my father after not seeing him during my first five years of my life.” I answered.

“So…you and Mina are dating?” I asked as she looked at the couple.

I hope not…

“Yes-“

“No. We’re not.” Sohye interrupted Mina.

Yes!

I just nodded and noticed Mina standing up. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to see my father for a bit.”

I nodded. Sohye called Mina and wanted to go near her when I grabbed her hand.

This is my chance!

“She’ll be fine. How about you talk to me?” I told her.

Sohye sat back down as we talked, mostly of my condition. I shared that I came back to Korea because I wanted to heal myself on my birthplace. I shared my personal life at Canada, saying that I was a bit lonely since it took me almost a lifetime to adjust.

All of that was true. Some struggle I had…

“I know how that feels.” Sohye said.

“Sohye-ya, will you visit me again?” I asked.

“Sure.” Sohye nodded.

“Every day?” I asked again as she held Sohye’s hands and Sohye just nodded.

I was so happy for this. I held her hand tenderly as she smiled at me.

Oh, Sohye…please notice my feelings…

~~~

Sohye came to visit me again. She was wearing her uniform and I found her so pretty.

 “It’s the first I saw you in your uniform.”

“Really?” Sohye asked.

I wanted to get a good look at Sohye’s uniform when I bumped my elbow at my vase, sending it to the floor and breaking it.

“Wah!” I yelped.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pick it up,” said Sohye.

I watch Sohye crouch, getting the shards. I blushed lightly as I expose my stomach a little, hoping she notices how y I’ve become.

Sohye shrugged it off as she threw the shards on the trash bin. I pouted but I tried again. Sohye came back and I maintained that pose and smiled at Sohye.

“Did you see my stomach? I’ve gone y, right?” I asked.

Sohye nodded. She looked away. I saw Sohye blushing lightly and I smiled.

“I’m glad. You’re blushing and all so I got a gist that your heart must be beating quickly and that you’re still alive.”

Sohye coughed lightly and sat back down again. I giggled in my thoughts. I never thought I could turn Sohye on.

“The operation was unbearable. My stomach lining was too thin I couldn’t eat hard and spicy foods. Then I had to go into this diet and got this slim body.”

“Are you really sure you and Mina aren’t going out?” I asked again as Sohye nodded.

“I’m glad. Now…you know why I said that?” I asked her again as I held her hand.

“Why?” Sohye asked me.

“Because my feelings for you haven’t changed…I like you, Sohye. I really do.”

I held her hand and placed it close to my heart. She froze but I held her hand tenderly again.

 “Sohye-ya, do you like me too?” I ask her for the umpteenth time.

“Somi, I like you too but-“

“I’m so glad~” I squealed and hugged her.

I was facing the window and noticed Mina, watching us, her face etched with pure envy. I hate to be the bad girl but this was my chance to have Sohye for myself. I smirked and hugged Sohye tighter, my face leaning on her shoulder.

I saw her walk away and felt victorious…but I suddenly broke when I saw Kyulkyung. She hissed and gave me a disappointing look. Sohye filled my vision when she looked at where I was looking.

“Is there someone here?” She asked me.

I shook my head and held her close. But then, she lets go as she went outside. I stood up hastily and followed her.

“Sohye-ya…” I called as I try to catch up to her.

I managed to find Sohye but then…I saw something: Kyulkyung was hugging a crying Mina.

How weird…why do I feel heavy?

I almost cried of the sight. Kyulkyung never does that to me…

And Sohye? She also felt the same way I was feeling. I know Sohye loves Mina but…I can’t let Sohye go either. I love her too…

Or am I just doing this to get Pinky out of my heart...?

I watch Mina and Kyulkyung leave. Sohye faced me and gave me a worried look.

“Somi! My goodness, you shouldn’t have gone outside…” She helped me out as we went back to the mansion. “You’ve could’ve hurt yourself.”

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

Sohye shook her head and helped me. I smiled at her and we went back.

It was painful to see Kyulkyung for someone else but then…it gave me the determination to win Sohye’s heart once and for all.

~~~

This was it. I got everything ready and waited for Sohye to come again.

“Surprise~!”

Sohye-ya~ <3

 “Congratulations on your relationship~” One nurse cheered.

“Ms. Somi finally has a girlfriend.” The other one said.

I cheered with the nurses as I pulled Sohye close to me.

 “Take a picture of me and Sohye~” I requested.

A nurse grabs my phone and we had our picture. I checked on it and I was so happy. The nurses joined me and my smile never faded.

“Wait, wait, wait, hold on a second…” Sohye began.

“What is it, Sohye-ya?” I asked as I hugged her.

“Can you leave us for a minute?” Sohye asked the nurses.

They nodded and left the room. I was nervous. I was blushing lightly as I hugged Sohye tighter.

“What is it?” I smirked as I wrap my arms around her waist.

“If you’re thinking that, it’s not it. Somi, I hate to tell you this but I don’t have feelings for you-“

It hit me as I felt my stomach hurt.

…not now…

The pain was excruciating as I heard Sohye call the nurses. The nurses came in right away as I was carried towards my makeshift-bed.

“I’m sorry, Sohye…we’ll have our date next time…” I cried as I felt my stomach hurt so much.

“Call Dr. Kang,” said one nurse.

“I’m sorry, Sohye…but you need to leave.” She added.

I wanted to cry as Sohye left the house. This is just bull. It was supposed to be the moment that I finally get to be hers and my condition had to ruin it.

*three hours later*

“Hmm…there’s nothing critical happening at this moment.” I heard Dr. Kang say as he looked at the results.

“However, the mucus on your stomach lining is depleting in a critical rate. I might have to double your dosage.”

“Again?” I asked him.

“I’m sorry, Somi. But it has to be done. You need to rest. I’ll come back after three days.”

I nodded and he left me to rest. Once he was gone, I sighed and got rid of the IV drip. I grabbed some soda and drank. I smirked as I looked at my phone, showing a picture of Sohye and I.

Sohye-ya…just you wait…I’m not stopping until you’re mine…

~~~

I called Sohye to come and I never grew down. She was always visiting and as of this day, I plan to tell her of my feelings and hope I settle a very good relationship.

“Somi?”

“Oh, baby. You’re late~” I pouted and hugged her.

“Somi, I need to tell you something…” Sohye said.

“What is it now?” I pouted again while reading a magazine.

“I need to be straightforward, okay? I mean, come on, Somi. You tried before and got rejected, right? And I’m sorry to tell you this but you got your second reject.”

What? Are you kidding me? Please, Sohye…not again…

My expression went cold. It was worse than before. I never thought she could be this straightforward.

“Again?” I laughed.

“Somi…”

“Tell me. What does that Kang Mina have that I don’t?!” I asked angrily.

I saw Sohye gulped and I gave her a deadly stare. “I’m sorry but…I need to go-“

No! You can’t leave me again! Never!!

I grabbed her and pushed her on the sofa. I straddled on her lap, pinned her wrists up with both hands and my free hand caressed her cheek.

I’ve had enough of the rejections. If I can’t have Sohye, then I’ll force her to be mine.

“You look so cute when you’re nervous~” I cooed and Sohye gulped.

“It’s been a while since I got my first kiss from you. How about I do it again?” I smirked and inched closer.

It was during my attempt in courting her. I spilled my juice on her bag. I apologized for that and wanted to help her clean her bag…when our faces met and our lips touch.

Some event it was. Sohye’s lips were so supple and soft. It felt good…and I want to do it again.

“Somi-“ Sohye was interrupted as I kissed her.

That sensational feeling came again. It felt so good that I felt like a dirty , wanting to go all the way. Sohye froze and shivered. A slam was heard and I felt someone shove me off of Sohye. I looked up. It was Mina.

“Get off of her, you !” She yelled.

 Mina and Kyulkyung came in again. I would be fighting back against Mina but I froze.

Was it because of Kyulkyung?

Mina was yelling and slapping my face but Kyulkyung stopped her. Mina stopped as she went close to Sohye. The three of us were in fear.

“Mina…” I heard Sohye…and she had her heart attack.

Then the place was a ruckus. Sohye’s mouth bled. Mina grew worried as she nudged her. Kyulkyung grabbed her phone and called the ambulance as I let go and wanted to get closer to Sohye.

“Don’t.” Kyulkyung held me tight.

“Let me go!!” I yelled as I tried to get off of her.

I struggled still. I want to be there for Sohye. Mina shouldn’t be there on her side. I should be that person!!

The ambulance came as they carried Sohye inside. I tried to go there but Mina got there first. I watch the vehicle left and I cried, growing worried for Sohye. And then, my blood boiled as I got myself off of Kyulkyung and slapped her hard.

“How could you?”

“What the was that?! How could you be so harsh to me?! I saved your from Mina’s assault back there!” She yelled at me.

Pinky…don’t yell at me…I thought you wouldn’t hurt me…

“You ruined my chance. I was supposed to be there for Sohye and not that Mina-“

*slap*

“Insult Mina again and I swear I won’t hesitate to hurt you.”

I gulped. The sting on my face felt painful. I looked and Kyulkyung and her eyes filled with so much anger.

Pinky…why…this isn’t you…you’d never hurt me…

But then she gulped, tears flowing out of her eyes. She looked at the hand she used to slap me and she shook helplessly.

“Somi…I didn’t mean to…I’m so sorry…” She went closer to hug me.

But I never let her. I pushed her away, opened the door and told her to get the hell out. She refused and kneeled in front of me, saying her apologies and crying like a lost kid.

“I don’t have time for this. Get out.” I said again.

She was so stubborn. I had to get angry for her to get out. I slammed the door shut and crouched by the door. My senses infuriated as I heard her cry from the other side of the door.

Leave, you worthless !!

“Som…I’m so sorry. *sniff*…I missed you so much…come back to me…”

She cried my name many times. Even if the rained poured again, she was still there. I heard her cry helplessly that I cried too.

I don’t want to come back. I might get hurt again…and I swore myself not to.

~~~

“Jeon Somi…welcome to Ewha Womans University. You will be in the Alpha Battalion. If you need to ask questions, you may go to your battalion’s SBG and ask the officers.

I nodded. I transferred at EWU for several reasons: One, Sohye studies here and I want to win her back. Two, my parents told me to study again so why not? And three…well…it’s not much of a reason but…

I want to see Kyulkyung…

But no! It won’t be on that extent. I’ve moved on and besides, that Chinese and Kang Mina are rumoured to be in a relationship. Consider it as a fourth reason that I’m curious and wanted to make sure if it was true. After all, I’m after Sohye…and I will not let Mina have her again.

I went by the hallways. All eyes were on me and I even asked some students where the Alpha Batttalion’s SBG office was. Some were so kind to help me find the place and I finally got close to the office. I saw Chaeyeon, Sejeong, and Yeonjung on their desks and there some I didn’t expect: Mina, Sohye and Kyulkyung.

But then, my eyes focused on Sohye again.

“SOHYE-YA~”

I came in the office and tackled Sohye for a hug. I noticed that Mina still had her jealousy issues and I was obliged to be the as I hugged Sohye again. Kyulkyung was taken aback of it well but I felt her challenge me as she also acted lovey-dovey on Mina.

“Come on, Sohye-ya~ Let’s eat lunch together~”

I wasn’t in the mood to see Kyulkyung. I was supposed to ask some things but I decided to pull Sohye and she was obliged to come with me.

I had to get over her. She has no part of my life now…

~~~

Frequently, Sohye and I hung out. It was such a wonderful chance for me. I finally got some moments with my crush.

But then, as some days went by, my feelings for Sohye withered. Sohye still had that spot for Mina…but me…I hate to say it but…my heart longed for Kyulkyung.

Pinky…

I got a glimpse of her at the SBG office, at the dance studio, even at the field during her athletics. She was always the busy bee. I wanted to have a little chat with her but I’m afraid that…I might disturb her again.

“Jeon Somi, what are you doing here at the office?” Chaeyeon poked me.

“Uhh…”

“Who’s that?” I heard Kyulkyung ask Chaeyeon.

“It’s Jeon Somi.” She answered.

“Let her come in.”

Chaeyeon escorted me inside and I felt tensed. I sat by the sofa and faced Kyulkyung, who was busy with some paperwork.

“Chae, may you leave us for a bit?”

I gulped and watched Chaeyeon leave us at the office and went to her cubicle. I faced Kyulkyung, who gave me a serious look.

“Good afternoon, Jeon Somi. I am Joo Kyulkyung, Alpha Battalion President.”

What? Even in this university?

“What can I do for you today?” She asked me.

“I…I came here two weeks ago. I was about to pass my form for the dormers’ registration but you were…uhh…busy.” I answered.

“Did you bring the form?” She asked and I nodded. “Give it to me.”

I nodded hastily and searched through my folders. I got the form and gave it to her. I gulped as our hands had contact. But then, she drove her hand away and looked at my form.

“Okay….welcome to the battalion. Your room is at Room 201. What a convenience, though. Because it’s close to the dorm head’s office…which is my room, you can ask anything from rules to schedules and-”

“Personal stuff?” I spoke and she was taken aback.

“I can live with that. Okay…also with personal stuff.” Kyulkyung nodded, sorting her paper work. “Is that all you want to ask, Ms. Jeon?”

“There is one thing.” I said. “Why didn’t you get in contact with me after I left?”

I heard her drop her pen. I whimpered in my thoughts and saw her sort her paper work again and rubbed her temples. She closed the blinds and stood up, looking so cool like a businesswoman.

“Let me be honest with you, Somi.” She began. “You hated me at that time because I was an idiot. I respect your space so why would I contact you when I know you would backfire me again?” She grabbed a cigarette and lit her stick.

I gasped. I never thought she could do this, being the President and everything. I even thought it was illegal to smoke in school premises.

“Another thing is that you left without leaving anything. Sure I could ask Chungha of your number but let me repeat the statement again: you hated me at that time.” I watch her puff out smoke and killed her cigarette.

“And me, being the friend that I really am, had to give you space and had to get out of your life…because I couldn’t stop my idiocy…and I would never let my best friend get hurt of my actions.” She finished and opened the blinds again. “I hope the answers your question.”

“Pinky…” I said her nickname for the first time since that day.

“You may leave now.” She gave me a cold look and slumped on her table.

“Pinky…” I reached my hand towards her hair.

“Don’t.” She looked up at me and I froze. I watch her sigh sadly. “Please, Somi…just go…”

Chaeyeon came in and escorted me out. I gave her another look before I was sent out of the office.

“I’m sorry, Somi…but Pinky is not in the mood today. Please understand…”

I nodded, thanked her, and then left. On the way, Mina passed by me and was heading towards the office. I went to the comfort room and cried silently.

I was so ironic. I was mad at the past because Kyulkyung was the idiot. Who am I not to be mad when your best friend is far away from you? She was sincere with her feelings and wanted to apologize but I drove her away and fell for someone else. How selfish of me…

When I came back here, I thought it would be stopping her. She didn’t. She was still the same Joo Kyulkyung. She still cared for me despite of the approach. I thought…maybe I should give her a chance…but I was selfish and was already too late.

I went after Sohye but got rejected. I wanted to lean on Kyulkyung’s shoulders but someone already did.

Pinky…I’m so sorry…please come back to me…

~~~

I met with Sohye again and we decided to talk some things. It’s about time I settle our friendship once and for all.

“Let me ask you something…” I began as I huffed. “Do you still love Mina?”

I saw her eyes dilating. But then, she sighed and said:

“I still do. But knowing the circumstances, I might hurt her again.”

“Sohye-ya…” I mumbled as I hug her tight. “Please let me in your heart…”

It was silent for the both of us. I didn’t react like last time but even though my feelings for Sohye were withering, I was hoping that Sohye would be the one to ease my aching heart.

Kyulkyung already has someone else. It’s about time I have mine…

~~~

It was late in the evening. I was alone and walking on the hallways, holding my stomach. I felt something rustic on my mouth as I try to resist puking. I was also panting and holding on for dear life as I got towards a room. I knocked on it and someone answered it.

“Yes, Somi? Are you okay?” it was Chaeyeon.

“Can I talk to Sohye?” I ask as I cover my mouth.

Chaeyeon nodded and called for Sohye. Sohye was still dazed due to a disturbance on her sleep. I couldn’t let anyone know I wasn’t okay. I only want Sohye to know.

“Yes, Somi?” She asked me.

I gulped as I felt my vision getting blurry. I saw Sohye’s worried look as she helped me up.

“Somi! I need to get help-“

“No! Please…don’t tell anyone… don’t tell Kyulkyung…please…”

She nodded and called an ambulance, telling her to meet by the bus stop. I felt Sohye carry me as she ran outside the campus towards the bus stop, where the ambulance was. I felt some people carrying me to the hospital and saw paramedics not letting Sohye come with me.

“Sohye…” I mumble as I reach for her.

“Please, doc. Let me come with the patient.” I heard Sohye say.

In the end, Sohye was given way and came with me to the hospital. I was puking blood and was mended. The triggers subsided and Sohye was there, growing worried for me.

“Sohye…” I reached and caressed her cheek.

“You’re going to get well. Hold on a little more, okay? We’re almost there.”

I nodded and held her face for as long as I could. At least someone was there for me…

I wanted to ask Kyulkyung but…she can’t see me like this…

*at the hospital*

I was already well when I arrived but Dr. Kang advised that I should rest until the day after tomorrow. Sohye was there by my side, still on her pajamas. I felt guilty. How could I make her worry so much?

“Sohye-ya…I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay. What matter is that you’re okay...” She answered.

“Sohye-ya…” Dr. Kang came in. “Your mother called me. She was worried when she got a call from Chaeyeon that you were missing. It’s best if I take you back to the university.”

“But Appa…what about Somi?”

“She’ll be fine. The school also called Somi’s mother and she’s coming here tomorrow.”

“Somi…”

“It’s okay, Sohye. You may go.” I nodded.

Sohye nodded as she and Dr. Kang left the room. The coast was clear and I spit the rest of the food coloring out.

I smirked. That’s right…I feigned illness.

This wasn’t the first. Actually, I do have this condition but it hasn’t appeared in a certain interval. And with that interval, I feigned illness to have Sohye for myself. I had gone desperate. I am so lonely. My Kyulkyung was taken away from me and I swore not to let Sohye go again.

~~~

A week passed and Sohye came to visit. I was so happy to see her again that I tackled her for a hug.

“Hey…there are also some people who wanted to see you. I hope you don’t mind,” said Sohye.

Of course, I won’t. I’d do anything for you, Sohye.

Another person came and I didn’t expect it. It was Kyulkyung, carrying flowers again. I felt tensed but somehow, my heart felt light. And in fact, I was happy to see her.

“Hey…” She greeted as she placed the bouquet by the table. “I’ll just put it here. I don’t want to give Somi a stuffy nose. She may like flowers but she might get a stuffy nose because of the pollen.”

I smiled lightly. She brought posies, my favourite flower. And yes, I do get a stuffy nose on flowers.

“Hey, Kyulkyung, let me place this on a new vase the hospital got and I need to go to the comfort room for a moment.” Sohye said.

“Sure.” Kyulkyung just nodded.

I tensed as I was left with Kyulkyung. I watch Kyulkyung gaze at the room and checked everything. She went to the curtains and opened them, placed the table by my bed, and turned the TV on to my favourite channel: MNet.

“Doesn’t anyone notice that you have some routine of the setting just to get yourself well? Seriously, Somi, you need to advise this to the caretakers.”

I nodded lightly. She grabbed a chair and sat by my side. I gulped and felt my heart beat quickly. I felt a hand beyond mine and it went by my shoulder and neck.

“How are you, Somi?” She also tugged a strand of hair by my neck. “Do the doctors treat you well? Is Sohye taking good care of you here?”

“I’m fine.” I answered softly. “Mina’s father takes care of me so well and Sohye too.”

“I see.” She nodded as she lets go.

Pinky…hold me…

I grabbed her hand again and held it tenderly. Kyulkyung was taken aback but I continued to hold onto it. She sighed and held back.

“What’s with the long face?” She asked me. “A sick person shouldn’t be sad, alright? It’ll worsen your condition. Here…” She saw my glasses and wore it.

“Remember the classic funny face I made when we were kids?” She asked and did that funny face.

It made me laugh. Actually, it also lightened my heart. I never thought Kyulkyung and I could interact like this again. It feels really great.

I heard footsteps. Sohye must’ve come back but then, I couldn’t help but be busy talking to Kyulkyung. It was fun until we heard another sent footsteps and someone yelling:

“Stop pretending, you little brat!”

It was Mina. Mina came inside the room. The three of us were stunned of what she said. Mina sighed and went closer to me.

“Mina-“

*slap*

“You’re such a selfish coward!” Mina yelled.

Sohye reprimanded her of her sudden actions as Kyulkyung comforted me.

“It’s because this brat feigned illness!!” Mina yelled at Sohye.

“She played with your feelings! She feigned illness to get you, Sohye!” Mina cried.

How did in the world did she know that?!

I couldn’t deny it. It was all true. I clenched my fist and cried too. Kyulkyung continued to comfort me despite of it, making me guiltier.

“Mina…I already knew from the beginning that Somi feigned her illness.” Sohye said and we all gasped.

“Come on. I’m a veteran with a decade old heart failure. Even if my illness and Somi’s aren’t related, I knew it was ‘fake illness’.” She added.

“Then why…why are you going out with her?” Mina asked as she continued to cry.

“I wasn’t going out with her, Mina. You and all people know I never wanted to go out with Somi because I have you…” Sohye said.

Wow…it was strike three for me…

“But knowing Somi after I rejected her for the first time, she became lonely. And with her migrating to Canada and her gastric condition, it grew worse. Being in a hospital is lonely. Your friends can’t visit you a lot and you get to notice that you’re all alone. It’s lonely…” Sohye added.

I couldn’t hold my tears as I embraced Kyulkyung harder. I saw Sohye coming closer to us and she patted my head. I felt Kyulkyung let go.

Pinky…don’t let go…

“Even if you faked your illness, you just wanted someone by your side, right? I guess you were really lonely.” She finished.

“It’s my fault.” Kyulkyung mumbled and my gaze on her was locked.

“If I wasn’t so selfish in the past, I wouldn’t have been too harsh on Somi to leave her. She had to ask you for comfort and not me,” she said to Sohye.

She was right. I would’ve asked Kyulkyung if I wasn’t mad from the beginning. Hearing her say that hurts me so much I cried again. Kyulkyung went to hug me again as I hugged her back with twice the passion.

“I…I’m so sorry. I didn’t ask for Kyulkyung to get me through all this because I hated her. Sohye came in and was always there to help me. I’m so sorry…Sohye’s all that I have…”

I may have triggered Kyulkyung. I gulped. I was afraid she will let go of me and leave…but then…she didn’t as I felt her pat my back.

Pinky…

*few hours later*

The three of them had to leave. Kyulkyung took it the most as she still had some things to do at the university.

“Okay…see you soon.” I waved at them.

Mina and Sohye went ahead. Kyulkyung followed but I grabbed her hand before she could go.

“Kyulkyung?” Sohye called.

“You two go ahead,” said Kyulkyung.

The both nodded. I saw Mina’s shocked face as they both went ahead. Kyulkyung closed the door as I pulled her close to me.

“What is it, Som?” She asked me. “I still have things to do. Is there something you want to talk about?”

“Pinky…stay here…” I begged as I hug her from the back. “Please?”

“If you want me to visit you, you should’ve told me. I’ll just visit here tomorrow.” Kyulkyung said.

“I want you to stay here with me…please, Pinky…I need you.” I begged again as I held onto her tight.

“Som…”

“Pinky…I miss you…” I confessed.

It was about time I say my emotions. I had to be true this time. I had to…

“Leaving was the hardest thing to do and you don’t know how sorry I am for ignoring your reconciliations. I knew you were trying to apologize to me but I ignored them, afraid that you might hurt me again…” I sniffled, my fingers crumpling onto her uniform. “But Pinky…I want our friendship back.”

“Som…of course you can-“

“But…I want more than us being friends…I…I love you, Pinky…I want you here with me.”

“But…Sohye…”

“My feelings withered for her. I realize now. I love you, Pinky.” I said and reached to touch her face.

I looked onto her eyes and she cried. I wiped them off of her face and caressed it. I pulled her closer and aimed to kiss her when…

“No…” She said and lets go. “You can’t be with me, Som. You’ll only get hurt because of me. I can’t forgive myself if I hurt you again…”

“Pinky…I can take it, okay? Please…” I begged for the third time, placing a hand on her chest.

“I’m sorry…I have Mina now.”

I froze. I gulped as she lets go of herself. I was in the brink of crying…

Pinky…do you not love me anymore?

“Don’t give me that look. I think it’s better this way. The truth is I was in indeed in love with you. But then, I’m an idiot and in the end, I hurt you and you left because of it. During those times, I was in pain. I was in pain because I turned into a monster wherein I was supposed to be your friend, to love you and protect you whenever you needed someone. I did all I can to imply to you I can’t love you because I don’t deserve you but it continued to hurt me…” She said and wiped my tears away. “But Som…you don’t deserve to be hurt. I won’t let you get hurt by me again. And when a weak-hearted yet caring girl like Sohye showed up, I was assured that you are in the hands of a person who will treat you in a special way and who will care for you…like I once did when we were children.”

“Pinky…” I held her hands, not wanting her to go.

“Thank you for everything, Somi. We’ll still be friends…but I won’t be there to back you up anymore…” Pinky gave a little smile and lets go.

“No…please…” I hugged her again, not wanting our friendship to end like this.

“Somi…please don’t make it harder for yourself. You need to let go.” Pinky said.

“No~! Please, no…” I turned her around and hugged her, my head by her chest.

Pinky forced herself to let go and walked away. I could only sob and watch the love of my life drift away.

At least, she won’t see her love cry for her anymore. Never again will she feel hurt and feel sad…

I felt this was Pinky’s thinking. But I didn’t care. I love my bestfriend. I love my Pinky…

I want her back…I want my Pinky back…


“Pinky?”

Clattering of bottles rang in my ears as I got up and decided to clean the place up. Despite of my drunken state, I cleaned the place pretty well, disposing boxes of cigarettes and bottles of vodka. I could almost puke but I held it in and opened the door. Sejeong greeted me.

“What is it, Sejeong?” I asked her.

“I got a call from Somi. She wants to talk to you.”

Somi…why…

“Tell her I’m busy.” I went to get a glass of water. “And tell her that I won’t tolerate her litters by her dorm room. Her trash needs to be disposed.”

“None of the dormers seem to care. Even her roommate doesn’t care,” said Sejeong.

“I’ll clean up the room later.” I answered as I went out.

“You’re drunk, aren’t you? Where are you going?” Sejeong blocked my way.

“I need to see Sohye.”

I ran all over the university and there she was walking. I went to her and held her collar.

“Where?” I began. “Where did you make your promise with the cutie?” I asked again.

“Why do you want to know? So you can take my place and see her there? Don’t assume…” Sohye answered. “…because I’m going to see her.” She added.

I gritted her teeth and stopped her again. I choke her again. She huffed as I asked her again but she wouldn’t answer.

“Tell me. I’m not stopping until Mina belongs to me.” I said angrily.

“See that’s the thing…maybe…maybe Somi left you because of this…” Sohye huffed.

Somi…

“If you’re not telling me, I’ll find out myself!” I finished and pushed Sohye away.

What’s gotten into me? Why am I like this again?

Am I really making a move to make Mina mine? What about Somi?

“It’s at the river near the hospital!” Sohye yelled.

Han River

I had my mind settled. Somi can’t be with a person like me. And besides, this is my chance to win Mina’s heart and let her be mine. I can’t waste this opportunity again.

~~~

I followed her instructions and rushed to get there. The rain was about to pour soon and I didn’t want Mina to get sick. I got to the bridge and went down the stairs. There was Mina, crouching by the bed of clovers. She was also crying.

“Sohye-ya…please come...let me stay by your side…”

I can’t let her get hurt because of Sohye. The rain already poured and she was getting wet. I held onto the umbrella and shaded her from the rain.

*tap*

“Sohye?”

“She won’t be coming.” I said as I helped her get up.

“Don’t assume, . Sohye will come.” Mina said to me.

Mina…don’t get yourself hurt…please…

“Give up and be mine, Mina.” I said as she hugged her.

“No! She’ll come. Give me two more hours.” Mina pleaded.

I didn’t fight back and waited with her. She was murmuring her prayers that Sohye will come. I was also eager that she won’t come. I chuckled of my thinking. I’ve become the once again.

*two hours later*

“It’s late, Mina. Sohye’s not coming.” I said to her.

Mina wept and shook her head. It pains me to see her like this that I hugged her from the back and shielded her from the rain.

“Please, Mina…don’t get yourself hurt again. I’m here, aren’t I? I’ll treat you better than she can. Please Mina…be mine.”

“Shut up.” She mumbled and I let go. “Shut up…” She faced me. “…and kiss me…” She cried in front me.

“Mina…”

“Please…help me forget Sohye. Make me forget, Kyulkyung…please kiss me…”

I didn’t hesitate and kissed her. I noticed a silhouette fainting by the grass but then…who am I to care?

I felt victorious. Finally…Mina is mine.

But was I really sure of it? I feel it but…why can’t I embrace that feeling? Am I really happy to do this? Will this finally suffice my lonely heart?

But…I want more than us being friends…I…I love you, Pinky…I want you here with me.

I realize now. I love you, Pinky.

I could cry in my thoughts. I made up my mind.

I’m so sorry, Somi…truly I am…

~~~

At a private sector, I dragged Mina and kissed her. I broke as I looked at her.

“Why didn’t you get first place?” I held her chin and forced her to look at me. “Where’s the Kang Mina I used to know?”

“Kyulkyung…I-“ I kissed her again.

I triggered again. I was supposed to be the good girlfriend but I became the forceful one. I was reminded of what I did to Somi before and now…I felt ty.

“Kyulkyung…please let go-“

“No! You’re mine and you do exactly what I say!”

“Stop!” She yelped and pushed me away.

She stormed off as she preps herself up. I gritted my teeth. We were the official couple but she drives herself away from me. I remember what Chaeyeon said to me:

Your relationship with Mina won’t last long. You’re too pushy.

And she was right. I put a hand by my forehead. Aside from that, Mina didn’t move on from Sohye yet. And me? Maybe I haven’t moved on from Somi…

I got out and went to the auditorium for the ceremony. I was already at the sidelines with Sejeong and Yeonjung and not on the stage where Chaeyeon and Doyeon were. Yeah. For the first time, my streak was broken. Chaeyeon was now the President of our battalion.

“First placer…Kim Sohye.”

Everyone clapped. Sohye stood at the podium and gave her opening speech. The students and staff were moved of her message…even me… and got credits from almost everyone. However, her limelight being the first placer doesn’t end there. With Chaeyeon and Doyeon’s change of rules, she will have to face the Punishment Game.

*Alpha Dormitory*

“What?!” Sohye exclaimed.

“Since you got first place, you get a Punishment Game,” said Sejeong.

“But an Alpha? Really?” Sohye raised an eyebrow.

“Rules have changed. First placers, whether Alpha or Omega, will get a Punishment Game. Yours will be…getting the of the person you love.”

Sohye flipped out. Yeonjung and Sejeong laughed. I could only watch her as she said:

“You can only get in the Omega Dormitory…excluding my girlfriend, Kang Mina.”

“Save your breath, . She’ll be included,” said Chaeyeon.

“But-“

“Hello? I’m the new President plus I’m older than you by a year. So save you ty breath, you Chinese !” Chaeyeon growled.

I gritted my teeth and stormed off the room. I went by the veranda and screamed my heart out.

“Pinky?” I looked to the side and there was Somi.

“Som…what are you doing here?” I asked as I regained my composure.

“I wanted to walk around campus.” She said and went closer to me. “Since I’m new here, I decided to tour around so that I knew where to go.”

“I see.” I nodded.

“What’s with the scream back there? Are you okay?” She asked as I felt her hand on my back.

“I’m a wreck. Mina and I aren’t getting along well.” I mumbled. “I became the you know again.”

“That’s not true.” She answered and her hand ran through my hair. “Don’t say that. Sure you’re a but you’re the sweet . The triggers are involuntary. Don’t get affected to that.”

I chuckled. I look at Somi again and lent a hand to her. Somi wondered but held my hand anyway.

“How about I tour you around campus?”

“Okay.” She smiled and nodded as we walked side by side.

~~~

I was still the pushy girlfriend. At this moment, I was about to go to the next level when she slapped me in the face and ran away. I wanted to catch up to her when Sohye was facing me.

“I noticed you’ve hurt Mina again.”

“What do you care, Kim Sohye? She’s my girlfriend and I can do whatever I want…” I mumbled.

“You are…but seeing you hurt and boss Mina around makes me sick. How about I take her away from you this time?” Sohye challenged me.

“Oh, yeah? How about a 100m dash? The person who gets to the finish line first will have Mina. Lose and I keep her to myself.”

Sohye didn’t hesitate and accepted the challenge. I laughed so hard that Sohye clenched my collar once again.

“Oh, come on! You want me to help you meet Death?” I spat.

“Heh…why can’t you just accept it? Like you said earlier, I lose and Mina is yours…but if I win, don’t you ever go near her again. Don’t talk to her and don’t even look at her.” Sohye spat back.

“Fine…you got yourself a deal.”

*at the field*

Chaeyeon was dragged along their little competition. Sohye and I were at the starting point, stretching.

“I can’t believe you dragged me into this. Classes will start soon so…on your mark…” Chaeyeon mumbled and the two got ready.

“Get set…”

*BANG*

Sohye and I sprinted. With the first few meters, I could hear Sohye’s pants. I was quick and was ahead of her. I was in my game. I can’t let Mina be taken away from me. I lost Somi to her…and Mina too?

Sohye yelled and ran as fast as she could. I gasped while running as Sohye was leading. I gritted my teeth and ran faster. It was too close to call as the two of us were neck and neck. Sohye saw the finish line and ran even faster. I was losing as I was getting tired. Chaeyeon managed to catch up to the us and saw Sohye get to the finish line first. I arrived last and the two of us panted hard.

I lost…why…?

“Sohye!!” She could hear Chaeyeon scream.

Not again…

Sohye got up as I looked at her. Sohye chuckled at me and said:

“A deal is a deal, Pinky. Leave Mina alone…and let me tell you this…” Sohye panted.

“…Somi loved you and she missed you so much. Go after her, Pinky.”

Heh…you did it for your friends? How sweet of you, kid.

Chaeyeon and I call for the ambulance again as Sohye fainted with a smile on her face.

I couldn’t help but be happy for Sohye. At least she gets her love back…and I might also get mine.

What a win-win for the both of us…

~~~

“I’m sorry…”

I sighed as I wiped Mina’s tears away. I couldn’t bear to see her cry again.

“It’s okay. I should be sorry. I shouldn’t have been so pushy.” I confessed. “You’re free now, Mina.”

Mina went to hug me one last time as she went off. I sighed then walked away as well.

I broke up with her. Being with Mina was the best thing that had happened to me but…I wasn’t the girlfriend that I was supposed to be. I always hurt her and she would drive herself away from me. And with her longing towards Sohye, I had to make the decision of letting her go.

It hurts, really. But then…I was enlightened. I was hoping for the long lost dream that I had: a dream that one day Somi and I will be together.

“Pinky~” I looked to the side and there was Somi.

“Hey, Som.” I greeted her.

“I got this extra coupon and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me…” She said.

“Sure. I’ll go with you.” I smiled and she tackled me for a hug.

~~~

I got to my class and saw Mina and Sohye locking gazes. I sighed and decided to get a stick from my stash. I got my lighter when someone grabbed my stick. I looked at that person and…

“Somi?”

“Don’t smoke. It’s not good for you plus some teachers might see you,” whispered Somi.

I nodded. I put the stick back and hid my stash. I went to my seat next to Chaeyeon but I gasped when Somi sat there.

“I traded places with Chaeyeon. Now she gets to sit next to Sejeong.” Somi giggled and we saw Chaeyeon and Sejeong talking to each other.

“Say…Som?” I called and she nodded. “The squad and I are going to the carnival next week…and I was wondering if you wanted to come.”

“Sure.” She nodded.

“Really?” I asked.

“Really.” She said and placed a hand on my chest.

I blush a little and some students cooed at us. I saw Yeonjung doing a little dance, forming a heart using her hands. I saw Somi smile at me and said:

“Please fall for me.”

Everyone cooed to the extreme and we went silent as the teacher came. The classes went on and I felt a little happy. I felt victorious and my dream started to develop.

I pray it won’t go nuts again…I just hope…

~~~

Somi and I met at the park. Aside from the fact that we’re going to the carnival together with the squad, I also wanted to invite her on a little vacation with my squad.

“I’m sorry, Pinky. My family is coming here and we’re spending our vacation at Jeju Island. I’ll be out for three days.” Somi said.

“Oh, I see.” I nodded. “It’s okay…” I chuckled and Somi smiled at me, her hand placed on my cheek.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t hang out with you in the days to come.” She apologized but I shook my head and held her hands. “It’s okay, really. Family is more important. Just don’t forget to buy me some treats.”

She laughed and I laughed with her. It went silent afterwards but then…she covered our faces with her fan and she kissed me.

Oh…my goodness…

“I love you.” She whispered and kissed me again.

I felt the angels above my head as I kiss her back. I felt so happy. Is my dream becoming a reality at this moment? Even it’s only just a dream; I don’t want to wake up…ever…

“I love you…I always had…” I said my heart out.

“Pinky…will you stop leaving me and be mine?” She asked me and I tackled her for a hug. “Of course…I’m not letting you leave, either…not this time…”

The both of us shared another kiss and our smiles. It was finally over. My y torment was already done.

I have my love back…I finally have my Somi back~!!

~~~

And with that, I became better. I continued my services for the school as the Vice President of the Alpha Battalion and became closer with the squad. I was in good terms with Sohye and Mina that I wanted the two to be well with each other.

Technically, I ship them and I want them together again.

And when we got to the hotel and with Chaeyeon engaging a game of ‘The Queen’, I was determined to get the Queen.

And I did.

“Bow down before me, es! I’m the Queen.” I showed off her stick with the Korean letters to form the word.

“Woah…so much for Joo Kyulkyung who’s been the Alpha President for five years,” said Yeonjung.

“Alright. I’ll give the orders. Every person in this room will have such a wonderful memory. Now… Number 1 and Number 5…will kiss!!”

Chaeyeon gulped as she got 1. She grew more nervous when Sejeong got the 5.

“Kiss…or do a better dare than this.” I smirked.

Sejeong made the move and went to kiss Chaeyeon. All of us cooed. Sejeong broke afterwards, leaving a stunned Chaeyeon. Sohye went to her and patted her back, telling her a job well done.

“Next order will be…a picture of two. The persons who will be doing it are…Number 3 and Number 4.”

Mina looked at her stick and got the 4. We noticed Sohye stand up and Mina gulped.

“Sohye…”

“It’s not what you think. I just need to go to the bathroom,” said Sohye.

“Sohye, what number are you?” I asked.

“5.”

“Didn’t I say Number 5 and 4 will do the order together?”

“What?! But you said 3 and 4-“

“Who’s the Queen, Sohye?” I raised an eyebrow and smirked again.

She didn’t have a choice and in the end, the both of them went out. The three, who were with me, gathered around me and asked their questions,

“Pinky, what gives?”

“Wouldn’t you be jealous?”

“What are you up to now, ?”

I laughed at them and told them to calm down. I let them sit down and said: “I ship the cuties like you guys do. I’m not jealous. Mina and I moved on from each other and besides …I wanted to change myself for the better.” I stopped as they squealed at that part.

“Finally!” Yeonjung pumped a fist.

“Now I wait for you two.” I coeed at Chaeyeon and Sejeong.

“Yah…you should be praying for Yeonjung here.” Sejeong mumbled and all of us laughed, with Yeonjung snickering at us.

“And…” I began and all of them listened again. “…I don’t want any bad vibes in our squad. Mina and Sohye are one of us, okay? I welcome them, even the officers from the other Battalion. And Somi is also one of us…so…I’d do things for friendship.”

“Aww…the has a soft heart after all.” Sejeong cooed and all of us broke into laughter.

~~~

Here I am with Chaeyeon, Sejeong, and Yoojung. The students were also there as we were to attend a special ceremony: the choosing of Omega Battalion’s new President.

“Another lottery…” Yeonjung mumbled.

“Chaeyeon here got lucky. I wonder who it will be next,” said Sejeong.

“Who did you vote, Pinky?” Chaeyeon asked.

“Choi Yoojung.” I said and they gasped. “Mina would be fine but I won’t let her involve things with Yoojung. She has Sohye to begin with.”

“Is it because Sohye lost to me?” Chaeyeon raised an eyebrow.

“That’s another reason. And in Kim Doyeon’s case, she needed someone who can she really trust…and who has been her ally since she was a kid? It’s no other than Choi Yoojung herself.”

It was a close bet between Mina and Yoojung. The two got their sticks and thank the stars, Yoojung was the new President.

“My guesses have been right.” I smirked.

*ring*

“One moment…” I excused myself as I answer my call. “Hello?”

“Pinky?” It was Somi and I was so happy to hear her voice.

“Hey, Som. How’s Jeju?” I asked.

“It was great. I’ll tell you about it but…can you do me a favour?” She asked.

“Sure, Som...”

“Please pick me up.”

Oh, …what to do? I don’t have a car…

“Okay. I’ll be there right away.” I said and hung up.

I would be taking a taxi but hey! I love Jeon Somi and wanted to treat her like a princess. I waited for the ceremony to be over so that I can ask Doyeon for her car keys.

“Hey, Doyeon.” I called her and the tall female turned around.

“What?”

“Can I borrow your car keys?” I asked and pouted. “I need to pick up Somi from the airport.”

“Sure…” She said, tossing her keys and I caught them. “But it’s almost out of gas. You have to pay for it, alright?”

That’s just great. I just got my pay from my other part-time job and I have to pay for gas?!

I had no choice anyway. I was thankful for Doyeon so as a result, I was eager to pick Somi up at the airport.

*afterwards*

Somi was cheerful during the ride. She was sitting next to me as her stuff was at the back. She told me stories and I was obliged to listen. We got to the university and helped Somi with her stuff. As we got to her room, I helped her get her stuff in and got them out, placing them in their proper places. As she finished, I got a kiss from her.

“How can a like you be so sweet to me?” She pouted and held my face.

“I just want you to be happy. And besides, we’re a couple. I want to make my princess happy.” I answered.

“Will you sleep here with me?” She pouted.

“As much as I want to, I can’t disobey school policies. Please bear with me.” I answered and kissed her cheek.

“Okay…” Somi nodded and hugged me again. “I’m so excited for the outing this weekend.”

“You should be.” I said and hugged her back. “I’m excited too.”

Somi nodded again and yawned. I sighed and carried her to her bed. She must’ve been sleepy for the whole trip so I tucked her to bed. She sleeps peacefully and I couldn’t help my smile. I kiss her cheek and left the room. I went to the Omega Battalion’s office and there was Yoojung and Doyeon.

And by the looks of it, something’s going on between the two.

*ehem*

“What is it?” Doyeon asked as she saw me.

“Here.” I tossed her car keys and she caught it with her long arms. “Thanks for the ride.”

“No problem.” Doyeon smiled.

I bid goodbye to the two as I went back to my room to sleep. I got in and suddenly, I fell to the floor. I felt a stinging pain in my head.

What’s going on?

It took me almost a minute to hold my head. The pain subsided afterwards. I was so shocked of what happened. I shook my head again and decided to turn in early.

~~~

Somi and I arrived at the carnival. She was excited, holding my hand tight as I was distracted because I was texting Chaeyeon to where they were.

“Are we there yet?” She asked and pouted at me.

“We’ll get there.” I smiled.

*ring*

“Hello?”

“Where are you guys. We’re here by the ferris wheel.”

“We’re coming.” I said and hung up. “Come. We’re almost to the secret place.”

Somi was excited as I am as we met the squad. I saw Chaeyeon pairing everyone up and Yeonjung wasn’t around because she attended a conference.

After all, my friend was about to be a singer in Korea.

I also saw my ship: Mina and Sohye… and Sohye was being her idiotic self once again, wanting to switch partners.

“Don’t say no, Kim Sohye.” I said as Somi and I finally arrived.

“You two are official?” Chaeyeon was excited as the rest.

“Yeah…” Somi answered and kissed my cheek.

They all cheered as Mina smiled sadly. The pairs got in each pod and Somi and I were second to the last to get into one.

“You’re riding with Mina and that’s final.” I told Sohye as Somi and I got on.

*inside*

“Sohye and Mina aren’t getting along?” Somi asked me.

“Yeah. Blame Sohye for that...” I mumbled.

“Aigoo... I ship them like you do.” She said and I almost gagged of her response. “What? I may have had a crush on Sohye but she and Mina are destined for each other, like you and me.”

“I know…” I said and kissed her forehead.

“Pinky…” I felt her lean onto me. “Thank you for always being there for me. I’m sorry if we had our misunderstandings…and I want you to know that I’m grateful I fell in love with my bestfriend.”

I almost cried of her words. I hugged her tight and kissed her forehead again. “Thank you too…and you know how deeply sorry I am for my mistakes. I hope that in the days to come, you won’t stop looking at me the way you always did when we were kids…”

“I love you, Pinky.”

“I love you too, Som. I always had and always will…”

~~~

“Pinky!”

I was startled, the ink smudged on the approval form. I sighed as I threw another and got like six copies reserved in my desk just in case I make a mistake.

I looked up and there was Somi. I wondered what was going on and entertained her. “What is it, Som?”

“Do you see this?” She grabbed the control and the TV.

I gasped as I saw Sohye and Chaeyeon inside the broadcasting room. I heard their conversation as Somi and I watched. As if finished, I chuckled. “It seems Sohye had gone nuts.”

“I know, Pinky. We need to do something.” Somi pouted.

“*sigh*…alright…” I stood up and thought of something. “I got it!”

“What? What?” She asked me like a little kid.

Don’t make that pout, Som. It’ll make me love you more.

“My birthday’s this week. I’m planning to invite the two and sabotage them so that they can be together again.”

“What kind of plan is that? You’re putting two cuties together on your special day?”

“Why not, Som? I want to do it and you said you wanted to do something about it.” I said.

“But…it’s your day…” She pouted and sat with me on the couch.

“It’s fine, okay? Consider it as your gift for me.” I grinned. “I’ll be happy of it, okay? Don’t worry about it.”

“Okay…” She said and kissed me.

I smirked and kissed her back. She straddled on my lap, taking me aback. I was also nervous. Our session was getting steamy and the blinds were open. Anyone could see us and believe me, I’d never let that happen.

“Wait…” I broke as she kissed my neck.

I grabbed the control and closed all blinds with one press. I even installed a secret lock and with one press of the control, all doors were locked. I turn my attention and resumed our session.

For the first time, it felt true. I had some sessions with some girls, even Mina. But with Somi? I was so happy. I was true to myself. I was with my true love and became the person I should be.

But then it came again…

“Som…can I rest for a bit?” I mumbled as I held onto my head.

I got off of her and felt my head hurt so much. I heard Somi flip out and ask me what’s wrong.

Come on. Just go away.

I felt the pain subside again. I panted as I saw Somi with a distressed look. I sighed and held her hands, making her look at me. “I’m fine…sorry to make you worry.”

“*sigh*…I’m sorry if I’m being too straightforward. It’s just that…I love you…” She said as her hands held my face.

“I love you too.” I said, kissing her hand. “But I was a bit shocked of what you did back there.”

She chuckled and hugged me. I hugged her back as she whispered:

“So…are we going with the plan?”

“Of course...”

~~~

I met with Doyeon at the lobby as I ask her a favor again. I handed out a letter to her and she wondered.

“It’s for Mina. I’m giving it to you so that you can give it to Yoojung. I mean…you both are in a relationship, right?”

“Shush.” She mumbled and I chuckled. “You’re letting my girlfriend give this to her?”

“Come on, Doyeon. You and Mina were roommates before. You’re Choi Yoojung’s girlfriend, who happens to be Mina’s new roommate.”

“Fine…you owe me for the second time.” Doyeon nodded and left with the letter.

“Thanks!” I yelled before I went off to talk to Somi.

*at the bar*

I waited for some people with Somi. Sejeong and Yeonjung arrived first then Chungha and Nayoung followed.

“Are Doyeon and Yoojung coming?” Yeonjung asked.

“Nah…Doyeon’s out with her family and Yoojung has something important to do.” I answered.

“Are Mina and Sohye coming?” Chungha asked as she drank.

“Only Mina. Sohye’s too pissed, even Chaeyeon can’t come because of her.” Sejeong said, getting a glass.

“Speaking of Mina, I need to pick her up.” I stood up and got my keys.

“Woah. You got a car?!” Nayoung gave me a ‘wow’ look and all of us were shocked of the Stone.

“Yeah. Eomma gave it to me.” I answered.

Before I could really go, Somi was following me. I stopped by to face her when she held my face and inched closer, out lips almost touching.

I blushed. Somi was too beautiful for my eyes…

“You’re picking up Mina, right? You know how that makes me feel, right?”

“I know that…” I mumbled and pecked her nose. “…and I deserved to be punished. What would be my punishment, my little maknae?”

“I’ll have you all night long.” She whispered and pecked my ear.

Holy mother of all nature…what was I getting myself into?

“O-Okay…” I stuttered and got a peck on the lips.

“See you soon.” She winked at me then went back inside.

I froze and felt my face heat up. I scratched my head and went to my car to pick Mina up.

~~~

I managed to pick Mina up from the university and we drove back to the bar.

“Wouldn’t Somi be mad about this?” Mina asked.

“I explained it to her. Besides, I already accepted my punishment.” I said while driving.

“And that would be?” Mina asked again.

“She can have me all night-“

“What the !” Mina yelped.

I laughed as I saw Mina blush hard. We stopped at a red light and we rode when the light turned green. I continued to drive and noticed Mina’s giggles.

“Is that Sohye? *sigh*…you must really love that Penguin so much…” I said.

 “Yeah…I do.” Mina said.

“Kyulkyung, stop! The light’s red!” Mina yelled as I stomped the brakes.

The light was red and I even noticed a dog crossing. The two of us sighed in relief as we drove again when the light changed to green. I teased Mina during the trip and had a little fight because of it.

And believe me, I didn’t see it coming…

“KYULKYUNG, LOOK OUT!!”

*CRASH*

What…happened...?

Mina? Somi?

I opened my eyes as broken glass met my vision. I groaned and felt my head hurt again. I checked my right and gasped when I saw Mina motionless. Not only that, Mina’s head was bleeding.

“Mina! Mina, wake up-“  I winced as I felt my arm broken.

I heard sirens and saw Mina waking up, groaning. I checked on her if she was alright as I saw paramedics helping us out. The both of us got out and saw another person, all bloody and wounded. I gulped as I hit a neighboring van, already jacked up. The both of us were laid down on separate beds as they sent us to the hospital.

*minutes later*

I woke up hastily and felt something on my head and on my arm. I checked myself and I was splattered in blood.

No…it can’t be…Mina…

I heard the nurses tell me to rest but I shoved them off and went to search for Mina. I got towards a room with a dead body and even saw Sohye, Sejeong and Yeonjung.

“Miss…you shouldn’t walk around! The doctor said you might need to rest as your head might’ve gotten an impact-“

“I’m fine.” I interrupted her.

Sohye went close to me and clenched my collar. I gulped as Sejeong and Yeonjung try to stop us.

“Sohye-ya, calm-“

“How can I calm down, huh?!!” Sohye raged and slapped my face.            

I deserved it. I looked at the body and saw Mina’s clothing and phone next to it. I was so guilty. I can’t believe I lost her…

“Sohye-ya…I’m so sorry-“

“Sorry?!! Where’s Mina?!! Where’s my precious Mina?!!” Sohye raged again.

“I’m so sorry…I couldn’t protect her. I didn’t save her…” I cried and knelt in front of Sohye.

“Cutie and another girl got into the accident. She was conscious before she got to the hospital. She was frozen…and was in shock.”

Sohye shoved me off and went somewhere. Sejeong and Yeonjung checked on me and I smirked.

“Yah…what was that about?” Yeonjung asked.

“My plan will be a success. They’ll be reunited once and for all.” I mumbled.

Minutes later, we heard cries from one room. They were from Mina and Sohye. Sejeong and Yeonjung looked at me and I stood up to leave.

“Where are you going? You should rest-“

“I need to go back. Somi might be waiting for me.” I answered.

“She’ll be coming here, Pinky,” said Sejeong.

“Alright.” I nodded. “Sorry for the party.”

The nurse who reprimanded caught up to me and told me to rest but I paid no heed. I was already by the exit when Somi was there.

“Pinky!” She rushed towards me and hugged me tight.

“Som…your dress…I might get it ruined-“

“That doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re safe.” She interrupted me and hugged me again.

I looked and there was Yoojung, Doyeon, Chungha, and Nayoung. I sighed and hugged Somi back. “I’m sorry I got into an accident.”

“Don’t you ever do that again!” She reprimanded me and nodded. “Come on. Let’s go back to the uni.”

~~~

I was escorted by Somi towards my room and I slumped on my couch.

“Come on, Pinky.” Somi said as she pulled my legs. “Take a shower first. You stink in blood.”

I nodded and went towards the shower room. It took me almost a while to take a bath and change but then, my feet were carrying me towards a room. As I got there, Somi laid there. I didn’t mind and decided to sleep next to her. Before I tucked in, she pulled me and she lets me lean onto herself.

“Som…I’m a bit heavy…”

“I don’t care. I want to hold you in my arms, Pinky. I missed you for so long.” She mumbled and kissed my forehead.

I felt calm…happy…and safe in Somi’s embrace. I felt relief as I tire myself out and slept peacefully in the arms of my true love.

*the next day*

I woke up sloppily. I toss to one side and noticed an empty space. I wondered where Somi was until as I saw a note by the pillow.

Hey, Pinky <3

I had to go. I didn’t want to get you in trouble. Please take care of yourself and don’t make me worry again.

I love you, baby…

I chuckled and kept the little note by my valuables. I closed the drawer and felt the same sting on my head. It was worse than before as I groaned and held my head tight. I felt tears on my eyes as I try to resist the pain.

What’s happening to me this time? Why is it so painful??

~~~

My life with Somi had gone so great I was happy every day. But as of today, she was at the hospital due to her gastritis. I made my visits every day but I wanted to be there for her when she needs me. There was one time I was in a meeting when she called me to come. I did but I was so late and in the end, she was mad at me.

I may be the Vice President; and a respected one…but this time, I had to break the rules for love.

“Don’t think you’re the only one’s going.”

I saw Mina and Sohye cutting classes like me because they also wanted to visit Somi. I climbed the fence, greeted the two and spoke:

“Being the maknae’s girlfriend, I’m the first one who’s obliged to go. Besides, I have to make up to her for being so rough last n-“

“Shut the up! What a ert!” Sohye yelped as she covered Mina’s ears.

“Yah, Kim Sohye.” I called.

“What?” Sohye asked.

“Why don’t we get this feud off between us and be friends? Come on, Sohye…for our girlfriends…” I said, offering a hand.

“You and your y self,” said Sohye and shook hands with her.

I cheered in my thoughts. Thank goodness the feud between us is over.

“Yay~ now come on! Let’s go visit Somi.” I cheered and Sohye and Mina came with me.

~~~

Our visit with Somi went great. She was really happy to see me and Mina and Sohye together. We weren’t all awkward like last time and ended having a great time at the hospital, keeping the little maknae company. Eventually, all days had to end as Mina and Sohye went ahead. Being the loyal girlfriend I was, I had to stay by her side.

*ring*

“Pinky…” Somi mumbled and aimed to kiss me again.

“It’s my mom, Som…let me answer this first.” I mumbled and answered my phone.

“Eomma?”

"I arrived from China just now, Jieqiong. I was wondering if you wanted to stay at our house for the night.”

Hearing it, I was so happy. I missed Eomma so much I wanted to come home as soon as possible. “Okay, Eomma. I’ll be there soon.”

I hung up and Somi tackled me for a kiss. I kissed her back until I spoke once we broke. “Som...Eomma just arrived from China and I really want to see her. Can I go home?”

“But…I need you here.” Somi pouted and I couldn’t help but find her so cute. “Please??”

“Som…I want to see Eomma so badly. I really need to see her. Can I go…please?” I pleaded again.

But she cried. She wrapped her arms around me and sniffled. “Don’t go…” Somi hugged me tight.

“Don’t cry, Somi-ya. I’ll visit you tomorrow, alright?” I said, hugging my cute girlfriend back.

Somi nodded as I let go. I kissed her cheek and exitted the room. Somi called me again and waved at me. I blew a flying kiss and said my goodbye.

As I got out, I walked around Seoul, heading back home excitedly. I looked at the stoplight as it was about to change red.

“Shoot…” I mumbled and crossed the street.

I got across…when I felt my head hurt badly…and my world was lost in a flash…


I was still at the hospital and I was very sad as my Pinky went home to see her mom. It was fine for me. I felt her. Family is always important but I really wanted to see her always.

“Nurse, can I walk around?” I asked her as she was watching me.

“You can, Ms. Jeon. But please don’t go too far and don’t run.”

I nodded as she helped me get up and adjusted my IV drip. I thanked her and walked slowly, wanting to get some fresh air by the nearby balcony. As I breathe the fresh air, I heard skidding. I was curious as I faced back, seeing the paramedics entering, sending someone…but, wait…why is that someone so familiar?

I took a good look and felt the world fall before me. The group was close and I was face to face with the person being sent. Tears fell on my eyes as the person was sent far away from my sight.

Pinky…no…it can’t be…

I grabbed my IV drip and ran towards the emergency room, letting my IV drip skid. A nurse saw me and stopped me from entering.

“Ms. Jeon, you shouldn’t be running-“

“Who was that person sent inside?”  I asked, fearing for the worst.

The doctor got out and I went closer. The doctor was curious of me as the nurse explained. “Doctor…who was that inside?”

“It was a student of EWU. Based on the ID, she’s a college student by the name of Joo Kyulkyung.”

My heart felt heavy. I crouched and flipped out, crying my heart out as the nurse and doctor helped me up. I yelled and made an attempt to get inside when my condition triggered. I felt so weak as I felt some people carrying me away from those set of doors.

P-Pinky…no…no!!!

~~~

I woke up as I felt free. I sat up and noticed that the IV drip was gone. I checked myself as the nurse who took care of me gave me a smile.

“Ms. Jeon, you’re well now.”

I looked at myself using my mirror and she was right. I was healthy again. With that in mind, I remembered something. I pulled the nurse closer and asked:

“Is there a recent patient by the name of Joo Kyulkyung?”

“There was, Ms. Jeon. She was involved in an accident yesterday, the same day that you fainted by the doors of the ICU. Locals said she was hit by a train.” She answered.

“Where is she? I need to see her.” I pleaded, almost crying.

She was uncertain but I swore to her I would take it easy. She nodded and told me her room. I thanked her and ran surely. As I got to the room, there was Kyulkyung and her mother, crying and holding her daughter’s hand.

“Somi-ya.” She saw me and went closer to hug me.

“Eommoni…” I hugged her back and heard her cries. “Eommoni…what happened to Pinky?”

“She was hit by a train. It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have…” She was unable to finish speaking when she cried in front of me.

I cried with her and hugged her each other. I let go for a while and saw my Pinky. For a moment I saw the cheerful Pinky and in the blink of an eye, here she was, lying helplessly as I cannot fathom of her state. I inched closer to her and held her face. I gave a little kiss on her forehead and my tears fell completely.

How could something like this happen to my Pinky?

I sobbed and crouched by the bed, my hand holding hers tight. My body felt weak as I continued to sob helplessly, hoping, praying, that somehow Pinky will be okay.

~~~

Ever since the incident, I never left Pinky’s side. Chaeyeon and the gang came to visit, even Mina. They persuade me to rest and change shifts in taking care of Pinky but I didn’t want to. Pinky could wake up anytime and I wanted to be the first person she sees. I know I’m being selfish but I love Pinky so much I made her my priority every day.

I was with the squad and was still beside Pinky, holding her hand and mumbling my prayers that she will get well. I also got news that Sohye had an organ donor and will have a heart transplant in three days. I was happy for Sohye, especially Mina. But then, Dr. Kang came and told the news about Pinky…and it didn’t turn out well.

Pinky was declared brain-dead…

“No…it can’t be.” I sobbed.

“I’m sorry…but the possibilities for the patient to live again are low. She’s now brain-dead.”

I wept and stayed by Kyulkyung’s side. Her injury was critical. Not only the accident caused it but it was also reported that Kyulkyung had a mild case of brain haemorrhage. With the two situations, Kyulkyung might never live again.

I cringed of those situations. Now I realize why she was getting headaches…

But why? Why Pinky?

“What’s this?” I heard Sejeong weep as she saw a card on one of Kyulkyung’s belongings.

We gathered around and read the card: it was an organ donor card, with the parent’s consent already signed.

She had that when she was young. I saw it in one of her wallets and she showed it to me. I wonder what she was doing with it but I remember what she told me:

“I may have been hopeless because I lost my bro...but because of him, I wanted to do something. It came to me that I want to help people who’d suffer like my bro. If I die at some point, I hope someone can have my healthy heart and live life for me.”

With that, it hit me. I looked at Pinky as I had my hunch.

Will Pinky be Sohye’s donor?

~~~

“It was confirmed, Somi. It seems Sohye and Pinky have the same blood type. With this, the doctor came to a conclusion that Sohye will be the recipient for Pinky’s heart.” Chaeyeon shared.

I was still by Pinky’s side, never letting go of her hand. I had to talk with the squad about this. I know Sohye would be so happy and I know I was becoming selfish again…but I don’t want to destroy the hope of Pinky’s wake. I love her, her mother was left behind, and there’s a squad who truly cared for her.

As her lover, I’m not destroying it; even it means I have to be selfish to do it…

Then the unexpected happened…

“What’s this?” Chaeyeon gasped.

We gathered around and witnessed a miracle. She held back to my hand and shed tears. Sejeong called for the doctor, Chaeyeon called her mother, and I cried in utter joy. I kissed Kyulkyung’s cheek and whispered:

“Thank you…*sniff*…I’ll wait for you, Pinky. I’m not leaving you this time…”

Minutes later, her mother came. She hugged all of us and went closer to her daughter. We saw the miracle again as she held her mother’s hand.

“Jieqiong…” She kissed Kyulkyung’s hand and we all cried.

“I have to tell Mina.” Chaeyeon said as she went outside.

I went back to Kyulkyung’s side and held her other hand. A few moments later, Sejeong came back with Dr. Kang then Chaeyeon came back with Mina.

“I’m withdrawing our consent,” said her mother.

“But Ma’am…your daughter’s tears are spinal reflexes. Her diagnosis still stands,” said Mina’s father.

“No…” I intervened. “My Kyulkyung was definitely crying. I’m sorry, Doctor…Mina…I’m with Eommoni. We’re withdrawing the consent.”

“Somi-ya’s right. We, as her loved ones, refuse the continuation of the heart transplant.” Kyulkyung’s mother finished.

~~~

From time to time, I came back to the university, making up all the missed days due to Pinky. Even if I cared for her so much, I know she wouldn’t like it if I skipped my classes. I managed to make up my absences and went to school like the usual. I slept on the university this time and decided to visit Pinky again tomorrow.

The night was calm and everyone was fast asleep…until…

*ring*

My roommate and I woke up as a commotion happened. I got out of the room and saw Sejeong coming towards a room next to ours. I went closer as Sejeong and Chaeyeon carried Sohye out of the room.

Oh no! Sohye!!

I was so worried. She must’ve had another heart attack. I went with Yeonjung and met with the Omega Battalion officers by the veranda, with Mina hurrying closer to Sohye. We all hopped in Doyeon’s car and followed the ambulance where Mina was inside, staying by Sohye’s side.

Chaeyeon rode with Sejeong as they boosted and honked, hoping that the other drivers made way for the ambulance. I was worrying for Sohye at the same time for Pinky.

We arrived at the hospital. We came to see Sohye and we all cried seeing her like that.

Why did Sohye had to suffer?

And as much as I love to stay longer, Pinky was also in the same hospital. I excused myself as we split in two groups. Chaeyeon, being Sohye’s roommate, had to stay with the other group as I came with Sejeong, Yeonjung, Chungha, and Nayoung. We got to Pinky’s room when I gasped: Pinky was shaking.

“Pinky-“ I rushed to her. “Chungha, call a doctor, please!”

She nodded and ran hastily. We went closer to her and held her onto her place. I held her face softly, hoping that she could feel me so that she’ll calm down.

“Pinky-shh…it’s okay, baby. Som’s here…I’m not going anywhere, okay??”

Chungha came back with the doctor as we let him do his work. He injected an anaesthetic and Pinky managed to calm down…and she was tearing up, making me hurt so badly.

“Som…”

“Did you hear that?” Nayoung gasped and went closer.

“Som…”

“Somi…Kyulkyung’s trying to speak,” said Chungha.

I heard it too. I went closer as we heard Pinky’s soft and muffled voice. I cried hard as I held her hand. I heard a slam and there was Mina. She was crying and we all gasped when she knelt in front of us.

“Please~” Mina pleaded as she knelt.

We were taken aback, especially me. Mina kept on begging and pleading as if she was trying to convince us. “Please…please give Sohye Kyulkyung’s heart…I know I’m being selfish but…Sohye’s dying. Please! Give her Kyulkyung’s heart! Please save Sohye…please…”

It hurts me seeing Mina cry for Sohye. I was like that with Kyulkyung too. I felt that. I understood Mina so well.

But…Pinky gave her signs…and that she’s waking up. I’m not going to stop hoping for her wake.

“Please-“

“Mina, stop that!” Sejeong pulled her up.

“Mina!” I went near her and faced her.

“I hear you, Mina. But as a lover and in behalf of her mother, I can’t just say ‘yes’…I can’t just let anyone take my Kyulkyung’s heart. Pinky shed tears. Last week, she responded again. She held my hand and almost mumbled my name. Your father might say it’s just a reflex but for us…her mom…and me, it’s a sign that she’s still alive. Don’t you know it gives me and her friends hope that one day…she’ll wake up?” I cried with her.

“She might wake up tomorrow…and say her usual curses again. We don’t want to crush that hope with our own hands. Please, Mina…please understand…” I begged this time.

“But Sohye…she’s everything to me. She’s all that I have. I have no one but her…” Mina cried again.

I cried my apologies and we sobbed hopelessly for the love of our lives. It was a sorrowful day for all of them. It was all too painful to bear…

Pinky…Sohye…how could you do this to Mina and I?

~~~

I got the good news: Sohye was well again. But then, I felt hurt. Sohye has a time limit and she won’t be living for long. I wonder what would happen to Mina if she passes on?

“Somi?” I heard someone call. It was Chaeyeon, holding a dress.

“Man, this was supposed to be Pinky’s.” She held up a cute cocktail dress that looked like mine, only difference was that it was blue. Mine was pink…

“It’s alright. I’m going to ask Mina if we can keep the dresses. I want to go on a double date with the two of them wearing our dresses.”

“Isn’t it cute? The two will be having their wedding in this room. Thanks, Pinky…for the venue.” Sejeong came in and stuck a tongue.

“I’m going to tell it to her when she wakes up.” Chaeyeon teased.

Pinky might not be able to wear the dress but I did her hair and applied a little makeup on her face. One by one, the squad and the couple’s parents arrived. Then, we saw Sohye walking on the aisle with Nayoung escorting her…then Mina escorted by Doyeon.

Yes. It was a little conduct of the cute wedding as Sohye’s promise to Mina when they were kids.

“This is just too cute!” Chaeyeon squealed as she took pictures.

“A cute wedding for a cute couple...” Yoojung squealed. “Sejeong’s nervous being the ‘priest’.”

I witnessed it and I was crying as I gazed at Mina and Sohye and to my Kyulkyung.

“You see this, Pinky? Our ship finally sailed~” I chuckled as I caressed Kyulkyung’s face.

“Today, we are gathered to witness the matrimony of the cutest couple, Kang Mina and Kim Sohye. I, Kim Sejeong, will be your MC for this civil wedding. Actually, the person who should’ve done my role would be Joo Kyulkyung but she was obliged to sleep in.” Sejeong pointed at a brain-dead Kyulkyung, getting chuckles from everyone and a playful snarl from me. “This won’t be any ordinary wedding. Though there is a violation of principles due to homouality, the two will vow their eternal love to each other. Now for the vows…” Sejeong smiled as Sohye went closer.

“I, Kim Sohye, will do what I can to prolong my life. In times of Mina’s difficulty in life, I will guide her. I’ll become her greatest ally. I will vow to be by her side and swear all of my love to her.”

I saw Mina and she sniffled. Sohye patted her back as if telling her that everything was going to be okay.

“I, Kang Mina, will do what I can to fix a bit of my bubbly self, especially my short temper…” Mina began and pinched Sohye for almost laughing, making me chuckle a bit.

“…I will provoke the reserved Kim Sohye by bugging her at all times and become her greatest living hope. No matter what happens, I will never give up and will always be there to support her. I swear all of my love to her as well.” Mina finished as she cries again.

“To our parents, who gave consent to our marriage, thank you so much. You’ve been worrying a lot about us but we all know you loved us so much.”

Mina went to her as Sohye hugged her mother. Their parents hugged their daughters back through all their tears of joy. Sejeong said the last part of their vows. Applauds and cheers were heard as the cute couple made their marriage official with a little kiss and a big hug.

I applauded with them…and I pray for Kyulkyung and our future wedding too.

~~~

I was left at the hospital for three days to take care of Kyulkyung. Due to Sohye’s condition, my two companions had to be there on their honeymoon to watch her. I couldn’t argue. Sohye needs to have the time and attention…because she already prepared herself. She deserves to be remembered.

As of this day, I got a text from Chaeyeon that they will come back later. I waited as Sejeong and Chaeyeon arrived. I greeted them and was still by Pinky’s side, mumbling my prayers in the hope of Pinky’s wake.

My life had become gloomy. The days withered and so did my hope. I thought that maybe I should’ve let them donate Pinky’s heart. I’m sure Pinky would’ve wanted it plus I get to see Sohye healthy together with her cutie wife.

But my love was the same as Mina’s love for Sohye. And with the signs, it made me boost my hope that Pinky WILL wake up.

And this day never failed me…

“Doctor!” Sejeong ran and called.

I stood up in one fast motion and got a good look at Kyulkyung. Sejeong was right. Her eyes were opening, her hands twitching and holding my hand.

“Somi…” She said my name despite of the tube in .

I was ecstatic. I showered Kyulkyung with my kisses as I was eternally grateful for my Pinky to be alive again. We gathered around her and they were so happy, even Mina when she came inside.

“Somi…Som…” She mumbled again.

“Shh…don’t say anything yet. Rest, okay?” I whispered and kissed her cheek.

She gave what might’ve been a little nod. I smiled and was eternally grateful for this day. I was so happy to have my Kyulkyung back.

It gave me more reason to love her more than anything…

~~~

I requested the doctors to let me stay with Kyulkyung that we shared one bed. I was gazing at her as she was sleeping. She also made a request to be located next to Sohye’s room so that she can be with her friend. I was so happy for the both of them. Finally, they were at peace with each other.

*knock*

Kyulkyung was fast asleep so I had to answer the door. I gave her a little kiss and got up, going towards the door to greet the mysterious visitor. I opened it and there was Sohye. I gasped. She was panting hard and had a box on her hand.

“Sohye-“ I grew worried and lets her sit down. “Sohye-ya…what are you…”

“Is Pinky awake?” She asked me. “I didn’t get any updates because I had my spasms.”

I hugged Sohye tight and I nodded. I heard her cries as we were so happy that she was awake. I broke from the hug as we watch Pinky fidget on her sleep.

“Sohye…what are you doing here…you should rest.” I said to her.

“Somi.” She looked at me seriously. “I feel that it’s time for me to say goodbye so…I wanted to thank you and Pinky for reuniting Mina and I. I’m sorry of always rejecting you, Somi. I know you were trying to love and with that I’m eternally grateful.”

“Sohye…” I cried and hugged her again. “Why now? What about us…Mina…Pinky…the squad…and me? We were supposed to go on double dates and you and Pinky would’ve been best friends…”

“I know. I’m really sorry. But can I ask one last favour?” She asked and I nodded. “I made a bet to myself that Kyulkyung will wake up despite of her diagnosis and that if she did, I can give this to Mina…but please…being the closest couple in our hearts, I hope you can give this to Mina after the vigil…”

She gave me a box. I held onto it and swore to Sohye that I will give it to Mina.

“I want both of you to give it to her.” She said as she stood up.

I held her face and kissed her softly. I broke right away and watched her getting weaker as if she has only few hours to live.

“Sohye…even if I have Kyulkyung, I never forgot loving you. Please…don’t forget us.”

“I won’t.” She nodded, her eyes twitching. “I need to go now. I want to hug Mina one last time.”

“Okay…” I mumbled, hugging her again. “See you on the other side, Sohye-ya…”

She smiled and left the room. My cry came out as she closed the door. I looked at the box and went to sleep next to Kyulkyung again. I cried and cried until I finally fell asleep.

~~~

“Pinky.”

I saw her groaning and opening her eyes slowly. She gave her smile and I gave her a morning kiss.

“Som…I’m sorry it took me so long to wake up.” She apologized.

“Sh…it’s okay. What matters is that you lived.” I smiled.

“Where’s Sohye?” She asked excitedly. “Let me see the Penguin. I want to bug her again.”

“Pinky…” I sighed and held her hand. “Sohye’s gone. She…”

Mina’s cries on the other room answered her question. She gave me a shocked look as she jumped off of the bed and went outside. I followed her and Kyulkyung gasped as she took the cloth off, seeing a lifeless Sohye.

“Yah…why do this to us, you penguin? How could you just go and leave us? Idiot…” Kyulkyung mumbled while crying.

She couldn’t let go as I had to get her hold off of the bed. The nurses went on skidding Sohye away as I held onto Kyulkyung tight. She was crying. Even if she despised Sohye, I knew she cared for her as much as I did.

Hearing Mina’s cries hurt us. It was a day wherein all of us were in pain with the loss of the Penguin of our squad…

~~~

With Kyulkyung all well, we were able to attend Sohye’s funeral. All of us were there as we meditated of our last moment seeing our Sohye. Kyulkyung took it the most, losing her future best friend. I was also hurt, especially seeing Mina like a wreck due to her death.

Losing Sohye was insensible. Her heart, which was made of her, was weak and stopped early. It was all unbearable and unbelievable. But it was okay. Sohye deserved her peace as much as any person being able to fight against obscurity.

Funerals, in which Kyulkyung and I have decided, are not for the dead. They’re for the living. Sohye’s death might’ve hit all of us like a tsunami but…it gave light that it was about time we cherished out lives, not just for utter pity…but it was the reality.

“Pinky…you know, Sohye asked us to do something for her.” I said.

“What is it?” She asked me.

“It’s this…” I said as I showed her a box. “It might contain something special…but this is what Sohye wants us to give to Mina.”

“We should give it now.” Kyulkyung said to me.

“No…not yet, baby. We need to give it at the right time, okay?” I said and kissed her cheek.

“Okay…”

~~~

A year passed. Kyulkyung and I have been living our lives with a lot of events showering upon us. Aside from that, my love for her grew strong. From friendships…to our other halves…love grew stronger.

“Hey…we should go. Mina might be at her home now.”

“Alright.” She said as she was all ready.

I giggled and we got a taxi, heading to Mina’s home. As we arrived, I knocked the door…and Mina answered it.

But it was different. She wasn’t crying anymore. She gained her cheerful self and the both of us we were so happy.


"Hey cutie~" Kyulkyung was her usual y self.

"Mina~" I tackled her for a hug.

"What brings you guys here?" Mina asked as she lets us sit down.

"We came to give this to you. Here…" Kyulkyung gave the box.

Mina wondered what the occasion was but as she saw the name in the box, it hit her.

"She and I agreed on something. If Kyulkyung wakes up, she told me to give it to you." I said.

"Why don't you open it?" Kyulkyung said to her.

Mina gulped. She sighed and opened the box. It hit her. 

It was box filled with Sohye’s valuables. There was a picture of her, her necklace and ring, her letters, and her will.

“Penguin…” Mina’s tears came out as she opened the will and read it.

I was debating to myself whether I would write a will or not. But just in case I die, I didn’t want any regrets so I wrote one.

Truthfully, I wanted to make a video and even have a personal talk with you, Mina. But for me knowing I’d make you cry again, I decided not to. So in the end, I wrote inspirational letters and wrote the most special of them all: the one you’re reading…my will.

I hope you use my picture and put it by my shrine when you visit again…

Mina sniffled and looked at the picture of Sohye holding a stuffed penguin. We listened as we cried with her. Mina huffed and read the will again.

…and if you can, please make your visit bright. Don’t cry in front of the shrine, alright?

Mina, I don’t want you to cry again because I was very happy that you became a part of my being, a part of me. I didn’t have any regrets and lived a fulfilling life because of you.

I wonder…what if I wasn’t a person with a weak heart. What if I wasn’t sick? I thought about it more often and there are heaps of things I wanted to do. I wanted us to graduate together and when we reach 21, we’ll have jobs and live together like a married couple, just like I promised you. Then we’d go to pet stores and adopt the Beagle you always wanted. We’ll have tons of dogs and other pets like having a lot of children. I wanted a good future and a wonderful life for us. That was my ultimate dream.

Mina, if I die, this is my last request. You have to stick to your ground and be the person that you’ve always been. And if you fall in love with anyone, don’t hold back and let yourself fall…

You know, I became a bit rancid when I wrote this will. It’s because I never wanted to die. I never wanted to just hand you out to someone else but who am I to force you? I love you. I love you so much that seeing you happy will always make me happy.

But I hope and pray for you…that our first love will be a fulfilment of your dreams…and I hope I make it to the next life and make it our last…

Thank you. I love you. Father God knows I do.

Penguin

Mina broke. We watch her, letting her cry her heart freely. We comforted our friend and cried with her, the afternoon getting gloomier by the second.

~~~

The rain poured. We both walked home as Kyulkyung held the umbrella, shielding the both of us in the rain.

“Some life we’re living.” She mumbled. “Even Sohye had to make it gloomy.”

“Come on, Pinky. Don’t say such things.” I said.

“Sorry.” She apologized as we waited for the bus.

I nodded and watched the rain pour. I then looked at Pinky who had her hand out, feeling the raindrops pour onto her hand. I grabbed that hand and kissed it, my gaze locked on hers.

“Som…”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.” She replied and gave me that soft smile, not that y smile she used to show me.

“Some relationship we have…” I said as I give her a little punch.

“But as least it’s not that quaint, right?” She asked, the honk of the bus interrupting us.

I chuckled and both of us got in, going back to the mansion. She lives with me…and we were married…

Just like she said, some relationship we have…but as least it’s not that quaint…

END

 

That was the story, everyone. Mind me for its length. I wanted the story to go smoothly so it had to be this long…but I hope you guys liked it.

For my ‘IOI Shikshins’ stories, it’s still ongoing and requests are always open. Don’t forget to comment you requests and I’ll do my best to grant those requests.

Thank you for reading my stories, everyone… <3

asahdako