Chapter 4

Hummingbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wow Sana," Momo scanned her up and down, ogling her playfully. She gave a thumb up to Effie who bowed her head dramatically, fingers tugging on her pink dress like what the Royalty did, with a smug smile plastered on her face. Momo just chuckled and turned back to inspect Sana again, clapping. "You have the crowd's heart at this rate."

 

They were currently hanging out in this waiting room that had been provided for each district's tributes. It was a spacious room decorated with pitch wallpaper walls, chandelier and tiles. There was a long table at the end of the room with all kind of sweets and beverages on top, while the other side was where the couch and three chairs were placed, which they had been sitting while waiting for their name to be called upon the ceremony. 

 

Sana was definitely nervous, especially with the way Caesar's excited voice was carried through the booming speaker and how the wave of cheers from the crowd resounded so fantastically loud until it reached the room (Momo told her there were ten thousands people out there and she wished she didn't ask).

 

But the company of all these people made her jumbled up nerve somehow a bit calmed. They were obviously intended to do that in the first place, to ease her tension, which is the reason why Momo was more talkative than she usually was and why Argus hand always found her shoulder whenever her expression twitched into concern. Even Effie had stopped fussing over her outfit and makeup and just let her be (Argus had whispered something to the woman earlier and Sana figured there was something to do with it).

 

"Anyway speaking about the dress, it's not finished just yet." Argus flicked his fingers and, automatically, one man from the prep team appeared out of nowhere with a clothed object in his hands. Argus motioned for the small coffee table beside his legs and the man put it there. Effie peered over curiously at it, her non-existent eyebrows met at the center, before she broke into a surprise expression.

 

"Is this, perhaps, the wings you have been talking about Argus?" She asked in disbelief and Argus smiled, unwrapping the black layer, revealing a book-sized metal box inside with a couple of buttons and a belt. He fiddled with it for a moment and suddenly, the belt and the box changed its color into the same color as Sana's dress. Sana gasped in awe, Momo whistled in approval while Effie still gawked at the box like it was a little piece of the moon. 

 

"How did you do that?" Sana mused.

 

"Nothing is impossible Sana." Argus said with a smile. "Come, I'll put it on for you."

 

Argus came behind her and circled the belt around her waist. Thanks to its color, no one could really tell the difference. It almost blended completely with her dress, like it had always been there in the first place. 

 

Argus stepped aside and took out a small remote from his back pocket and a second later, a full set of wings spread behind her (Momo had to sprang away before they hit her). The plumage was iridescent, so vibrant it was like a rainbow that was drawn in a piece of white paper. She gaped at their reflection from the mirror and hesitantly the right wing gently. They were made out of real feather and the softest she had ever touch.

 

"It's a pair of wings of a hummingbird." Argus explained, his hand caressing the left wing. "A symbol of healing, beauty, integrity and the need to help others in Native American culture."

 

Sana's hand flew instantly to her empty wrist, where a bracelet used to adorn the skins there.

 

"Why a hummingbird though?" Sana asked one day, her head was leaning on the trunk of the biggest three in the woods as she played with her new bracelet, smiling when Tzuyu popped out from behind another three with her crossbow once she was done looking for their potential dinner.

 

She squatted down beside Sana, and Sana wiped the sweat on the girl's temple and nape with the end of the long sleeve of her jacket. Tzuyu didn't budge, leaning on the touch slightly.

 

"Why not?" Tzuyu had replied, shrugging as she did. "They're pretty." Then she grinned broadly, plopping down to sit properly beside her. "And you are pretty."

 

"A hummingbird..." Sana mumbled subconsciously, scratching the space where her bracelet used to reside. It felt itchy at the mention of the said animal, almost like burning. Then there was a click and a whip of wind brushed against her nape as the wings were restored back inside.

 

"You don't like it?"

 

"N- No! I like it!" Argus seemed unconvinced. Sana faked a smile. "I love it Argus. Thank you. Where's Akira anyway?" Sana said, looking around to alter the topic somewhere else.

 

"He said he wanted to take a walk for a mo-" there was a beep coming from the same device Momo had used during their first training together, signaling the arrival of a massage. Momo fished it out and a frown was now formed on her face as her eyes moved from each words written in the screen. At one point, the mentor growled and Sana knew that it wasn't a good news.

 

"That piece of-" Momo didn't get to finish her sentence as she had stormed out from the waiting room, totally in rage. Sana followed her without thinking, despite Effie's shout not to. Argus was jogging beside her, probably wondering what had happened as well.

 

They ran until they were in the open air that fortunately wasn't the area of where the parade was held. To their surprise, what greeted ahead them was a circle of people and a ruckus, a few shouts and curses thrown everywhere. Sana was in time to see Momo had dismissed the group and yanked Akira out from the commotion, the boy snarling at the guy who had messed up with him, his cheek's swollen blue from a possible punch.

 

"You bastard! Just wait until I get my hands on your throat!" He snarled. Argus gave Momo a hand to drag him away from the scene, as the boy certainly wasn't a match to just one person when he was angry, not even to Momo.

 

"Well yeah?" The guy taunted with a devilish smirk. He had a beige blonde hair with crooked nose and distinct face, dressed in a sleeveless gold, gladiator costume and loose pants. She had seen him before, he looked familiar but Sana just couldn't pinpoint out who he was. "Not if I got yours first." He laughed boisterously.

 

His brunette female companion, (Sana deduced from their matching attire) snickered along, but when she caught the sight of Sana, her eyes narrowed in a way that got Sana thinking she seriously shouldn't have been here.

 

"Oh wow! What do we have here! The famous Sana Minatozaki!" She said, slapping her partner's buffy arms to gain his attention.

 

"How do you know my name?" Sana asked strongly, choosing not to show any weakness in front of them. It would be like showing your back to a hungry lion and Sana wasn't really fond of the foreseeable detail of result.

 

"The best archery of District 12, the dear for almost half of the sponsors out there, Sana Minatozaki!" The brunette said with exaggerated hand gesture before she finished it with a roll of her eyes and a grunt, barring her artificial sharp teeth that was warring her beautiful feature and could probably tore the flesh out of her bones.

 

The guy furrowed his eyebrows at her before chuckling mockingly. "She looks weaker than I thought she would."

 

"Oh brother, we shouldn't be judging people, do we?" She smile tantalizingly, cracking her knuckles and walked over to Sana in a large strode. Sana eyes widened. "Why don't we test her first and make up our conclusion?" She said before she took full swing of her fist.

 

Sana flinched and squeezed her eyes shut, dreading but expecting the hit. She wanted to react better but everything was just too sudden and Sana was never good in defending herself. So when she heard something tumbling and the hit took longer than it should be, she just had to peek over, only to see the guy was now tending his sister who was down on the ground, whimpe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter