Half One

안녕! [Annyeong!]

Youngbae is just get back from his friend at the other floor, walking back to his room with his infusion stand beside him he sing all the way to his room. Arrived at his room he stop in front of the door and finish his song before he finally opened the door, he opened it stubbornly makes it banging hard to the wall causing a strong sound that will make your ears hurt because of that. But he didn’t really bother it since he didn’t have a roommate and just walk inside the room when he realize someone is looking at him with a murderous look.

He turned to the usually empty bed and saw someone is sit up right because of surprised, his eyes is spitting fire and dagger towards him but it didn’t concern him as he just popped his eyes wide out of enthusiast. He is smiling widely at the existence of another soul in the room.

“I got a new roommate?” he asks happily, cheering at his new friend. “Hi, we meet again; my name is Dong Youngbae, nice to meet you.” He continued, bowing to the person he said is his new roommate.

The other person is Jiyong, massaging his temple that feels hurt all of a sudden.

Youngbae is walking closer to his bed, squatting as he looking at the information board on the bed. As soon as he read the information on it his smile is getting wider and he popped out behind the bed board, startled Jiyong for the third time that day. “We’re at the same age but I born early so you have to call me hyung.” He said with his smile that never leaves his handsome face. “You copy me, Jiyong-ah?” he continued winks at him.

He then walking to his bed and climbing up after positioning his infusion stands properly. He laid his head on the soft pillow and looking up at the ceiling. “It’s been a while since I had a roommate.” He said and turned to Jiyong. “I hope we get along well.” He said smiling for the nth time.

Jiyong just sighed at him before he lay back on his bed, gave his back to Youngbae; totally ignoring the boy. What is this? He thought to himself regretting himself that he didn’t jumps of the building before, now he has to stay with that annoying bastard. And what he just said, he is older than him? He has to call him hyung? What nonsense.

Youngbae only pouts his lips before just decided to just continue read his book when the door opened and startled the both boy inside.  A y nurse came inside with a wheel chair; she looked to both of the boy one by one and stops at Youngbae.

“Youngbae-ah, it’s your time to check up.” The nurse said walking to Youngbae’s bed and checking the infusion. “Yah! You get out of your room again?” the nurse shot, hit the boy’s head lightly.

“What kind of nurse are you? Hits your patient like that.” Youngbae whines, patting his head.

“What kind of patient are you, never listening to me.” She said, about to hit him again when she notice Jiyong is hissing out of annoyance. “Oh ya, have you seen your roommate?”  She said sarcastically, eying the other boy with the side of her eyes.

Youngbae nodded. “But nuna, can I skip it this time? Just this time.” He bagged, suddenly feeling worn out and he gave her his best puppy eyes that almost get the pretty nurse lose.

But no! She flicks his forehead. “Get down already!” she said.

Youngbae just pouts his lips while doing as the nurse said. “Jiyong-ah, see you again.” He beams cheerfully waves his hand to the boy who is still refuse to face him.

“Aigoo this kid, what are you? A couple?” Said the nurse, teasing the boy.

“I’m still normal!!” he protested at the nurse who starting to push the wheel chair out of the room leaving Jiyong alone again.

He fixes his sleeping position, starring at the door; assured it is really closed and he sighed. Finally, peace, he thought to himself.

 

Hours passed and Jiyong is now watching the television, his face is looked so serious despite the show that he watch is a gag show. He just keeps his straight face, well he is not watching, he just saw it. When the show is ends and displayed credits, he finally blown. He throw the remote control he holds when the door opened and Youngbae came in, the remote is almost hits him causing him to jump back as his movement is more agile because he didn’t have something sticks on his hand anymore.

“I’m back.” He said timidly. “Sorry, am I bothering you?” he continued realizing Jiyong death glare.

“CAN YOU JUST SHUT UP!!” Jiyong screams, looking at the other boy with his watery eyes and it just make Youngbae became somehow awkward at him.

He scratch his nape and he laugh awkwardly, looking at his unreadable expression. “Ah sorry it just, it’s been a while since I have a roommate so it…”

“You didn’t understand what SHUT UP is means?” Jiyong cuts him off.

And it indeed makes Youngbae shut and walking to his bed quietly and lay there looking up at the ceiling while Jiyong is looking at him, watching him with his sharp stare. For some reason looking at his facial expression Jiyong feel guilty but he brushed the thought and just laid back to his bed, covering his body and face up.

“Good and stop act like you know me! Cuz you don’t and I won’t let you.” He said, muffled under the blanket.

“Then can we be friend?” he asks carefully.

He uncovers himself and looking Youngbae with a murderous stare.  “I don’t believe in friend.” He said sharply.

Slowly Youngbae turned to Jiyong who still looking at him with a murderous stare. “Then what about best friend or brother? It must be between those, right?” he asks more carefully then before with his signature eye smile.

 

+

 

The next days, Youngbae is getting more comfortable around Jiyong and being a comfortable Youngbae is means nothing than hell for Jiyong. It was already lunch but Jiyong is refuse to eat his meals, well he always did every day but he would always go to cafeteria and eat something else, today he just didn’t do that and keep sleeping, Youngbae know he is not sleeping at all. He just close his eyes, refusing to see what is around him, he always did that and the fact that sick people like him do nothing but pretending to sleep, and didn’t eat well is just really bothering him. Because he seen it too many times already and it never leads to a good result so now all he is doing is to make Jiyong eat, he did all it takes to makes Jiyong annoyed.

And by that mean is he will never stop talking till the said boy does as he says. “Jiyong-ah its already lunch time, you already pass your meal this morning, you can’t…”

“Shut up! I’m not hungry!” He cuts him off, didn’t budge from his position, not even open his eyes to look at Youngbae.

Youngbae is getting down from his bed and walks to Jiyong’s. “No wonder you’re so scrawny, come on I know their food is not good and taste like but it will help you to gain your health faster.” He said, kneeing beside Jiyong’s bed while he resting his chin just beside Jiyong’s head, right before his ear. “And then you can eat whatever you want to again, come on, come on you can’t get any scrawnier then this, just looking at you is making me scared that you will break anytime.” He said in a normal volume right at Jiyong ear.

His anger increasing as Youngbae keep on talking and talking until his face is turn so read and a vein coming out of his temple. He rise one of his eye brow, he had enough of his bluffing and he sit straight all of a sudden, startled Youngbae as he fall flat on his .

Jiyong turned to Youngbae with his emotionless face, looking down at him deadly. “Look who is talking.” He said cynically.

“But I eat well.” He depends. It’s true that he is smaller than Jiyong, first he is shorter than him and second he lose his weight drastically every time he get sick, and it just a week after he came out from ICU room, so he haven’t had that much time to gain his weight back. He used to be a chubby boy back then.

Jiyong sighed loudly before finally getting down from his bed and heads to the door.

A smile creeps out on Youngbae’s face as he looked at his new friend. “Wait for me!” he said as he stands on his feet and follow Jiyong right away. They walking to the cafeteria with an unstoppable singing Youngbae causing Jiyong to close his face every time they passed by the other.

They arrive and Jiyong is ordering ramyeon right away so he didn’t have to wait for too long. They wait for 10 minutes and when the ramyeon arrive Jiyong is chowed down his bowl right away, leaving Youngbae only looking at it, gulping as he watching Jiyong slurping his noodles.

He sighed, annoyed at his roommate. Thinking of a way so he can make that boy away from him for a while and looked at the vending machine at the corner very far away from where they sitting he get an idea. “Can you get me some juice from there?” he pointing at the vending machine, give Youngbae some coin.

He takes the coins and stand from his seat. “What flavor?” he asks.

“Orange.”

“Ok.” And he went to the said machine while Jiyong continue eating.

Youngbae is pressing some button to get what Jiyong want and soon the sound of the bottle fall can be heard, he squatting to take it, reach his hand to fetch the bottle when he saw a pair of beautiful legs in front of him. He knows the owner of those legs and soon he can hear her voice clearing .

He gulped hard and looked up at his nurse. “It’s for Jiyong.” He said carefully pointing at Jiyong who is still eats his food.

The said nurse is just cross her hand in front of chest, she took the bottle from Youngbae’s hand forcefully and head to where Jiyong is, fury is seen clearly in her eyes watching the boy just eating like nothing is happen even when he already seen what is coming.

“Bomie noona~” Youngbae called her but to his fail his noona just won’t listen.

Bom puts the bottle on the table strongly causing a loud thud that startled some patient at the other table but not Jiyong who just looking at him flatly and took his juice, drank it as if nothing happen.

It’s just make Bom got into her nerve. “Don’t you have legs?” she shot at him viciously. “Can’t you get it by yourself, is your legs suddenly broke?” she continued.

Jiyong just rolled his eyes ignorantly to Bom, he realize Youngbae is walking to them. “Is he objection about that?” he asks Bom.

“No, he will never do that but look.” She put her hand on her hips and trying to compose her anger towards the boy in front of him. “He is different, you can’t just bossing him around, and make him do things that can be dangerous for him.” he can see her just being sincere, afraid of losing the loves one but isn't it just ti much?

Now Youngbae is just behind her, he is sure that boy is listening to every word that came out of Bom’s and he can see him changing his expression into something he never seen from him before.

He looked just like me that day. He thought to himself.

"Noona." He called for her, his voice somehow sounds so distant despite the fact that he just behind, he realize it was just him trying not to breaking down, holding his sadness not to coming out. He try too hard.

The boy change his expression into his usual back, noticing that Jiyong keep his eye on him, watching him from who knows. He just smile at him and all Jiyong can conclude is that was so fake out of him.

The nurse turned to the boy, Jiyong can sense her guilt hit her that very moment she saw his smile disappear from his lips. "I'm okay." He said to the nurse, just a simple two word but with more then two meaning.

Jiyong doesn't know, wether its a statement or a question, a positive or negative, convincing the nurse or is he just trying to convince himself? Jiyong can't tell. Its just that day he knew Youngbae is as desperate as him or maybe, just maybe.. more than he thought he is.

Jiyong just didn't want to know where that will be going so he just leave them there and get back to his room with Youngbae's expression keeps playing on his mind all the the way. He can't afford to erase it, its just to similar with him.

He is about to sleep it off when he heard the door banging, first he thought that it was Youngbae and was about to scream at the boy but then he saw three face that he know very well, one by one walking towards his bed.

"HI HYUNG! SEUNGRI IS FINALLY COME TO SAVE YOU!!" One of then screams his lungs out and hugs Jiyong tightly. "Did you miss me?" He asks looking up at Jiyong.

"You want to die?" Jiyong said, calm concealed the murderous aura in his voice causing the other boy shivered but still he didn't want to let him go.

"Seungri, be quiet! Its hospital." The other one with small eyes warned the younger and looked at Jiyong almost guilty, almost. "Hi hyung, wassup?" He asks keeping his cool and Jiyong smile at him.

"Hey look BANANA!!" The other one, raising a basket of fruit in front of his face.

"Hyung~" Daesung whines half bagged at the oldest.

They got into arguments soon after Top peal some banana and chow on it. Daesung is depending that its for Jiyong when the oldest keep on saying he just take one for himself and will give the rest to Jiyong but he keep pealing another. Daesung can't help it and take the basket from his hyung but being younger he ends up getting a 'friendly' embrace on the neck from his hyung.

At the other side Seungri seems like he will not let go off his hug from Jiyong and keep on asking Jiyong to miss him, add Youngbae and its will be a perfect hell for Jiyong, no rest in peace for him.

And god is being nice at him as the sound of the door being opened can be heard, stopping whatever the four of them doing. Guess what? It's freaking Youngbae and Jiyong is crying inside.

Youngbae looked surprised seeing people that much inside his room; in a very un-propper position. He is about to close the door again and go anywhere else when Jiyong called him.

"Where are you going? Isn't here is your room?" He said kicking Seungri from him causing the boy fall flat to the floor.

Daesung and Top fixes their position, looking at Youngbae that looked freaked out. Top is the one walking to him, smiling at the boy. "Hi I'm Seunghyun his friend but just call me Top for short." He said offering his hand to the barely inside of the room boy.

Waiting for too long for Youngbae to take his hand he take the initiative and just grab the boy's hand pull him inside, closing the door behind him.

"Why is he looked so freaked out?" Seungri asks to Jiyong.

"Who wouldn't." He simply said.

"Huh?"

Soon after some explanation and introducing they getting more close, Youngbae seems getting along with people fast that it almost makes Jiyong the one that feeling lonely since his friend is interested in Youngbae more than him. He somehow envied him, for the first time in his life, Kwon Jiyong envied someone else, it's very rare and almost impossible for him but then when it comes to Youngbae it seems like nothing is impossible for him.

But seeing his smile back because of that is erase that feeling out of him as he just feel relief, he is okay now, right?

 

"I'm happy you have a very good friends, as remembered you say you don't believe in friend." Youngbae said out of he blue after the three friends went home.

Startled Jiyong who is now looking at his phone, browsing about his illness. It somehow annoyed Jiyong, for some reason it sounds like he make fun of him when he know he is not. He just shut his phone and turned his back to Youngbae and close his eyes, didn't want to talk about it.

Youngbae sighed and took one of his book, a big 'Dream' is printed on its cover with the background of beautiful scenery. "Do you have a dream Jiyong?" He asks, opened the book and read the summary of the book, its about a boy in stuck in his dreamland and trying to find his way out.

Jiyong didn't answered and just keep his back to Youngbae.

"I do have a dream, when i was a little boy i always dreaming of become a singer." The boy said while keeps on reading the book, turned it page one after another.

He is a good singer, Jiyong said in his mind. Well Youngbae will sing everytime he had time or energy for it, he always had that energy tho and Jiyong have to admit it. He is a very good singer, he had this voice that sounds so unique and addictive, he sure a lot of people will like it.

"My parents always said i can do that when i older and strong enough, guess what?" He turned to Jiyong. "There is never enough for them, i always lacking in their eyes." He smiled at his back.

Youngbae turned his face, looking out of the window the time Jiyong finally looked at him. He looked so desperate, looking out like he was inside of a cage that prevent him to go anywhere.

"I just want to sing." His dream is simple yet it is so hard for him to do that. He have seen him singing and being told to stop by the nurses or the doctors because it will disturb the other, yes it is but his voice is not bad either. No one will annoyed at him singing. Honestly it makes Jiyong feels warm and comfortable, even sometimes it makes him didn't realize that he is in a hospital room.

"I have a dream." Jiyong said.

And Youngbae hurriedly turned to him, looking at the other boy enthusiastically, smiling like joker.

"Don't look at me like that!" Jiyong said, giving a warning look at him.

Youngbae just laugh like a fool.

"I always want to be a fashion designer, and i already admitted to the university i really want to attend since i was a child." He started his eyes is shinning just thinking about that.

And Youngbae can help but happy to hear that from him. "Thats good Jiyong, congratulation." He said, smiling from ear to ear.

But in a second the glow in his eyes is gone, he looking back at Youngbae, starring at him straight into his soul. "Yeah, its all good until one day its happen." he said.

Youngbae notice a faint sadness in his eyes but his disappointment is taking over. Tear is threatening to came out of his eyes, he can't see clearly anymore. "It only takes one small accident to took everything from me, soon i will not be able to see anymore." He said as a single tear escape from his eyes. "I'm so ed up." He continued, covering his face with his hands, trying to hide the tears.

Youngbae can't say anything, he just watching Jiyong. Little did he know about what happen to Jiyong from his Top and the other and it just broke his heart seeing him breaking like that.

He is starting to sobbing. "You know i need my eyes for it, i.."

"Jiyong.." but Youngbae cuts him. "You still can try, one day you will still be able to see again, you can still do the eye transplant." He said, yes he did know a little about medic as he had been live almost 80% his age at the hospital and yes he read a lot too, not only fiction but everything that can be read he will read since he can't do something else when people will always restrain him everytime he want to do outside activity.

"Its not so easy to get a donor." Jiyong said, he turned to Youngbae and looking at him. Even now the portrait of that boy is getting blurry sometimes, he can't see his clear feature anymore and it just saddening him more.

"It is, so while you still can see why don't you just try to design more than just laying there and do nothing." he looked at him with his innocent eyes, with a little mocking tone at the edge of his sentence. "From now on look at the good things and use your time as much as you can before it comes, you still have a chance Jiyong." He continued, giving strength to Jiyong.

And it make him realize what a dumb he was all the time, act like the most suffering person on earth. Look at the boy in front of him, what is he doing all the time? He just feel like a loser suddenly, that boy can't even dreaming when people around him even think that he can't. What is he doing? Thanks to him, now he realize how he had been a fool all the time.

A smile creep out in his face as he turned his back to Youngbae again. "You know what? You are not a bad singer." He said softly, almost like a whisper to himself, too bad Youngbae has a really sharp hearing.

"Of course i'm not." He said proudly, laughing himself before get back to read his book. And from that day on they gotten more close to each other since they spend almost 24 hours a day together, Jiyong is more open to him and starting to show his true nature to Youngbae each day passes even thought he still sour to another people but Youngbae is happy enough. At least he's already trying and he proud of him.

And another day comes and Youngbae finally opened his eyes, immediately turned to Jiyong who is already up and looked so serious doing his thing with pencils and papers. "Good morning." He said to his roommate as soon as he turned to him.

"It's 11 already." He replied and looking back to his work.

Youngbae laughs. "What are you doing? Still sketching?" He asks, turned his body upside down, cupping his cheeks on his palm.

Jiyong gave a final touch on his work. "Yup, what do you think?" He showing his work to Youngbae causing the boy to frown.

"Why asking me? I don't even know the different of trousers and pants." He excused.

But Jiyong is indifferent, put back his paper on his lap and just starring at it for a long time. Its not like Jiyong, Youngbae thought to himself. Normally he will bullied his lack of fashion sense.

"What happen?" Youngbae asks, starting to get worry.

"Nothing." He replied simply.

Youngbae frowning again and an idea came out of his head. He came down his bed and heads to the door. "Wait, i'll be back." He said before opened the door and close it again after he came out leaving Jiyong alone in the room.

"Yah! Where are you going?" Jiyong screaming but its futile as Youngbae is already outside.

Jiyong just surged and continued his activity, drawing more before it comes. His time is running out and he can't waste any time left, even when his eyes is starting to hurt really bad, he can't help but panicking, that is why he keeps on sketching and sketching.

He is so focus on his sketching when the door opened and Youngbae's head popped out on the small cracked door. "Boo!" He said causing Jiyong jumps in surprise and ruin his sketch.

"What the ? You ruin it!!" He screams, looking at his roommate annoyed.

Youngbae laugh awkwardly. "Sorry." He said raising both his hand which one is holding something. "Here, chocolate can makes you feel better." He continued, throws some chocolate bar to Jiyong who hurriedly took it with his hands, prevent it to land on his face while the other boy is walking inside, to his bed with a grin on his face.

"Thank you." Jiyong said with sarcastic, watching his friend with the tail of his eyes.

"Yah! What is that tone?" Youngbae protested, wearing frown on his pale face. "Fine, you're welcome, grumpy grandpa." He continued and took his sixth book that week and start to read with an annoyed face, pouting like there is no tomorrow.

Jiyong can only rise one of his eyebrow. "What did  i do?" He asks but Taeyang did't answered him and just roller his eyes, pouting more while starting to his book. "Hey come on i need to see your smile more often than that ugly face." He reasoning.

"Yeah, enjoy my handsome face in peace, Kwon." He said not even looking at his friend and just keep his eyes to the book, he doesn't know Jiyong will stay that long because honestly no one ever stay with him longer. It is whether they recover fast enough or Youngbae sends to the ICU, so with Jiyong he can finally feels what true friend is but than he become so resentful that sometimes it make Youngbae a bit upset even thought he know Jiyong is just that kind of person.

"Aish book worm!" Jiyong shot, chuckled at the other, pealed the chocolate and eat them. He didn't need chocolate to make him feel better, he just need Youngbae to splash his color into his greyish life sketch. Just look at him now, continued sketching with a big grin on his face with all his worries fly away.

 

But wake up since too early in the morning Jiyong finally get tired and sleeping all the way to noon, he wake up because he heard commotion around him. A loud and panic steps is interrupt his rest together with piercing sound that caused by collision between two metal things just enough to make his eyes opened perfectly.

And yes when he opened his eyes there is some nurses and doctors, walking back and forth around Youngbae's bed, he can see a doctor is sitting beside his bed and injecting something into his roommate vein while the nurses is busy preparing medical tools to support the boy.

Youngbae noticing that his friend is awaken and turned to him, his face is paler than it normally. "You awake?" He said, smiled at Jiyong who just glaring at him.

Jiyong didn't answered to his question and just keep starring at him and the others that still busy attaching tube and some tools to Youngbae's body. He looked so shocked that it makes Youngbae worried, looking at his friend like that. Maybe he is wrong about making Jiyong his friend.the doctor is worried.

Doctor Choi; one of Youngbae's closest doctor however notice his change of expression. He pats his shoulder gently assured that it will be alright before he went to Jiyong. "He will be fine, he just too tired." He said to Jiyong.

He didn't look like he is just too tired, that is all what written on Jiyong's face but than he know they are the doctor so they know it best. Still it take him a while to process all the information.

"Sorry." Youngbae said when all the doctor is leave, leaving only both the boy and Bom there. "You must be worried." He continued.

"What happen?" Jiyong finally said, still looked shock.

"Nothing much, it just happen that my immune system is low." He answered as if it was the most normal answer in the world.

"Yes and what did i told you about not running around, huh?" Bom shot and Youngbae only gave her his best smile making her nore upset, she was about to hit his head when she realize the situation and put down her hand.  "You rascal!" She ends up pats his head, feeling his hair gently poking onto her skin.

And he just laugh.

Later dinner time is coming, Youngbae seems to feel better that he actually can wake from his position even thought it is a bit troublesome since he hand a lot thing attached to him. But he can sit to enjoy his meal with Jiyong, together on his bed, both of them on his bed. Jiyong sitting is sitting in front him while he have to fold his leg to give him a room, Youngbae didn't know why Jiyong did this.

Some times Jiyong will scoop his food and stretch his hand to Youngbae since it look really hard to eat with hand full of those thing but Youngbae think its the other way he looked a bit scared when Jiyong keep shoving his spoon to Youngbae and do thing like 'say ahh~' at him. It makes him think that maybe, just maybe Jiyong is gay and is trying to make him as his partner, it sends him creep everytime he thinks the other day when his friend come for the first time, he hugging with Seungri while Daesung and Top too look suspicious with their activity. Or maybe they are so close that it looks like that? Well its not like he is a homophobic but still he read bible plus he still like girls.

Seeing his friend starting to spaced out, little did Jiyong know what is inside that monk head of him so he just rolled his eyes and looked at his friend lazily. "You read book too much." He said flatly.

Youngbae looked at the boy and eats everything Jiyong gave him after that. Yes there is no way Jiyong is gay, he even tell Seungri to bring him some magazine that contain girls without their clothes everytime he came. He brush the thought and focusing on giving his body nutrition when the door is slam open, Seungri and the other coming.