008. hopeless (Double B)

A Strand of Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

008. hopeless
characters: Suhyun, Hanbin, Bobby, (Jennie)
genre: au, dark, thriller(?)
warnings: mature themes, violence, swearing
word count; 3005 (became more of a oneshot drabble oops)

 

The last thing she remembered was the orange glow of the street lamp. It had been frighteningly dark as always when it reached evening. It spurred her to jog faster down the block, desperate for comfortable confinement of her apartment. It was only a few more weeks now and she’ll be moving into a much friendlier area. She told herself she’ll only risk these walks just a few more times.

Just a little bit more...

Suhyun just didn't know it would be the last for a long time. 

As she groggily peeled her eyes open, a grey dingy ceiling entered her vision. That was not the white ceiling of her bedroom. As her half-lidded eyes trailed the cracks patterning the surface above her, memories started to return in flashes.

She remembers becoming sore, the screams stuck inside fighting to come out. She remembers the stinging sensation of an alcoholic chemical invading her nostrils and how she couldn’t do a thing against the cloth clamped over her face. She lost strength quicky. She also remembers her arms and legs quickly immobilised by foreign hands. Absolutely helpless, she couldn’t fight the forces that threw her inside a vehicle. She heard some voices here and there, the hum of the engine and tried to comprehend it all.

But it was evidently useless now as she found herself in a place she could not recognise. They succeeded and she did not.

She was abducted.

 

 

Many hours passed since she woke up.

Tired and sore, she had remained in the same crappy bed she woke up in. On her arms and legs were ropes that scratched her skin. They left red marks, but it did not stop her from trying to get them loose. When she realised it was futile, she resorted to wriggling like a worm just to change position. From laying on her side, she managed to sit up against the wall.

That’s when she observed her surroundings. There was not much.

Same walls as ugly as the ceiling boxed her in. There was no window, just a vent up there in a corner. The door was on the opposite wall. Probably secured. Even if she wasn’t constrained, she’d have no hope against a metal door.

When escaping was clearly a slim chance to none, Suhyun tried her earnest to piece what had happened. She was walking home in the dark and then, she was attacked. By who, she had no idea. It was too dark. When she tried to think back on any reason why they’d do this, she was even more devastated.

Just why and who…?

She lived and thrived in normalcy. Had a normal job, attended a normal university, had normal friends. Nothing she had could make anyone take her like this.

So why?

Hopelessness caused some tears to wet her cheeks once more.

Her own sniffles lullabied her to sleep. 

 

 

The next time she woke up, she was in a different position. That startled her first when she realised how much her neck was aching. Looking up, she realised she was sitting upright, but not on the bed or against the wall, but on a chair.

Her eyes bulged in fear when she realised she wasn’t even in the same room. The room was just as grey and dark, but bigger than the temporary bedroom she had been in. It was empty, save for a camera sitting on a tripod facing her from a distance away.

The camera lens stared at her and she stared back in confusion and fear. She started to sweat.

What were they planning to do to her?

Suddenly a door screeched loudly behind her, before it was slammed shut. Heavy footsteps began to thread closer and Suhyun felt her heartbeat spike in fright. She struggled and found herself bound again, except this time the ropes were attached to the chair.

She almost choked in panic.

A rough hand landed on the chair, next to her shoulder. The chair squealed loudly as the person effortlessly moved the chair and her along with it, to face him. When Suhyun blinked up, she saw a young male peering down at her.

He was everything he imagined her kidnapper to be. Callous and unsympathetic, he easily emitted a dangerous aura that made the pit of her stomach cold.  

“You don’t know why you’re here, do you?” He said blankly.

Unsure how to respond when she was too scared to even breathe, Suhyun could only blink causing the tears she hadn’t known gathered in her eyes to fall. No, she didn't know anything. She didn’t understand this situation at all!

He walked away to the camera. He adjusted it, tilting it in different ways as if making sure they’d capture her properly. Like taking a damn selfie. Suhyun felt sick.

“You’re probably wondering why the hell you’re here.” He began again in the same monotone voice. “And why you of all people.” Tilting his head a bit, she caught his eye looking at her from where he was. Something forbidding and scary swirled in those orbs, something that promised danger.

More tears came, her shoulders quaking.

“But trust me,” He continued, “We didn’t get the wrong person.”

 

 

Her scalp burned, his fingers woven tightly onto her hair as he pulled her head back. Tears blurred her vision as she was made to stare up into his frightening eyes once more. With the same emotionless face, he barely flinched as he fired away with his questions.

Questions she had no answer to.

“I-I don’t know puh-please…!” She sobbed for the umpteenth time. “I c-can’t tell you because I don’t—I don’t know!”

“Don’t bull me. You’ve got to know something.” Irritation began to creep into his voice.

She made a frustrated sound and even tried to wretched herself free from his grip, but he only pulled her back tighter.

“I TOLD YOU, I HAVEN’T SEEN MY BROTHER IN MONTHS!”

This time, his jaw ticked and his free hand whisked something from behind him. A shocked whimper dribbled from when she felt a solid weight press up her jaw.

“So you’re telling me, the only relative Lee Chanhyuk has left on this earth, doesn’t even know where the hell he is? You completely have no ing idea where your brother could be?” With every menacing word, he leaned down closer until his breath fanned over the fresh tear tracks on her face. “So are you saying you’re useless to us then? Then we don’t ing need you.”

There was a distinct sound of a gun cocking and when Suhyun realised that’s what he had been holding against her jaw, she exploded in panicked cries.

“PLEASE NO—NO—!”

Her outburst was cut short when pain shattered over her head and then, black.

 

 

She woke up to a cold sensation patted along her face. It felt relieving and nice. When she slowly opened her eyes, various areas throbbed all over her body, but more so in her right temple. She winced and then, the patting stopped. Small, sympathetic eyes met hers.

“You’re finally awake. How are you feeling?” Asked the masculine voice.

Automatically, an “I’m fine, thank you,” left her lips, even though she wasn’t utterly fine.

She tried to sit up and failed miserably, the pain too extreme. The same person hushed her and told her to stay in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter