Ten years old

Throughout The Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday nights were special. Their favorite days. They began being special when both were ten years old. Yes, at the age of ten a Zhou-Jung tradition began. Movie night. Sometimes at Jieqiong’s house, sometimes at Eunwoo's, always with popcorn and their favorite soft drinks. They were scary movies almost every time, both girls protected by a huge and warm blanket that acted as a shield against Freddy, Jason and Norman... among others.

They both died of fear under the blanket, not taking their eyes off the screen for even a moment. Eunwoo admitted being scared, Jieqiong never. She didn’t know why but from the beginning she had adopted the role of the brave one. It was pure facade, she knew it and so did Eunwoo, but it seemed to reassure the Korean girl, seeing her so calm, so she continued pretending and letting her friend squeeze her in the most critical movie scenes.

Nobody else was invited to their special movie night. It was only theirs. Jieqiong estimated from the age of ten until the present day she and Eunwoo would have seen almost all the horror movies shot in English. A lot. Her Favourite? She couldn’t choose... there were so many... but maybe she’d answer that any of Freddy Krueger's nightmares, especially the first one. Why? Easy, it was the movie the tradition began with. Nightmare in Elm Street. It had been fifteen years since they had first seen it and Jieqiong still vividly remembered her friend's screams and how hard she had squeezed her arm for the entire duration of the movie. She also remembered how incredibly frightened she herself felt during and after the movie. It took days to overcome the fear of closing their eyes and sleeping, both were convinced that Freddy would appear in their dreams and finish them off, peeling them with his blades as if they were oranges. Terrible.

Despite that night having gone horribly bad, the following Friday they decided to see Nightmare on Elm Street 2, and the next Friday the 3rd one, and next the 4th one, and so on until the saga ended. She chose that film to inaugurate the first movie session on Fridays, but it was Eunwoo who insisted on seeing them all, even when she was the one that screamed the most and the one that later was more afraid of falling asleep. Eunwoo, a mystery of nature.

 

Eunwoo and Jieqiong at age 10.

Eunwoo ran back inside her house, testing her parents’ patience as they waited in the car. It was vitally important that she returned and took the movie that she and Jieqiong were going to see that night! Her friend would never forgive her if she came home empty-handed. She smiled widely when she found it on her bed, she had left it there so she wouldn’t forget to take it... it didn’t work too well. But she already had it in her hands! She returned to her father's car, holding ‘Toy Story’ tightly against her chest.

Jieqiong sighed in her room when she heard her mother call her for the third time... ugh what an insistent woman. Okay, maybe if she had gone down the first time Jia wouldn’t have had to yell two more times, but still... what an insistent woman!

“I'm coming!” She answered the same thing as the other two times. It wasn’t a guarantee that she would really go down and her mother knew it.

“Jieqiong! If I don’t see you in the kitchen in ten seconds I’ll call Jessica and tell her to leave Eunwoo with her neighbors! You’ll say goodbye to movie night or cinema night or whatever you want to call it. Did you hear m-“ She didn’t need to finish that question when her daughter materialized in front of her at lightning speed.

“What do you want, Jia?” She asked. She had started calling her Jia instead of mom just because she knew it bothered her.

“First of all, do not call me Jia. My name is mom.” She informed. “And second... remember I expect you and Eunwoo to behave with grandma.”

“Jia! You’re offending me. Eunwoo and I always behave.” The little one nuanced. She smiled to herself when she saw her mother roll her eyes when she called her by her first name again. The woman let out a resigned sigh before speaking again.

“What movie are you going to see?” She wanted to know.

“Toy Story.” It was a lie, but she was the only one who knew that. Even Eunwoo thought that was the chosen movie.

“As soon as it ends I want you both in bed without a murmur. Grandma better not have to tell me she had to chase you around the house like the last time.” She warned, pointing her finger.

“We were playing hide and seek!” Jieqiong defended herself.

“Did I make myself clear?” Her mother cut her off.

“Yes.” She accepted.

“And nothing about staying up all night talking. I hope you're more than asleep when dad and I get home.” She warned.

Jieqiong put on a good face but that was an impossible thing to promise. She and Eunwoo had many, many things to talk about. Suddenly she heard the sound of a car approaching, so she ran out of the kitchen and finished her rallie pinned to the window of her living room. As she guessed... it was Eunwoo! She waited there motionless, watching her friend get out of the vehicle and run there with a huge smile on her face. She stood on the other side of the glass and laughed when Jieqiong pressed her face against it, smashing her nose. When the younger girl pulled way, it was Eunwoo's turn to make faces against the glass, making her friend laugh. It was a pity that seconds later Jessica would appear at her side, ordering her to stop doing antics and taking her by the wrist. End of the fun with the window glass.

As soon as she stepped inside the house, Eunwoo was dragged by her best friend up the stairs and before she could even say hello she was imprisoned in Jieqiong's room.

“I got Toy Story.” She proclaimed when her friend turned to her after closing the door.

“Forget about Toy Story.” Jieqiong ordered and smiled when she saw the brunette’s face. “I have something better” she assured with a smirk.

“When you make that face we always end up grounded, Pinky.” The brunette said somewhat nervous because of what could have happened to her friend.

“We won’t end up grounded. Chill. This afternoon Jun and Wonwoo were here and I heard them talking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter