Four

The Constraint

“You need to go out more. Have some more friends.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Why?”

“I already have you.”

 

“You okay?”

Myoui Mina pulled both her knees up to under her chin as she curled herself on the couch. It was raining hard outside and her tiredness was sweeping into her slowly. Being angry really wasted her energy. It wasn’t like her to feel tired all of a sudden when she didn’t do anything heavy that day. She just wasn’t the best in controlling her temper.

But it wasn’t the time to overlook things and hand them to the people below them.

The moment Minatozaki Sana knew what the matter was, Myoui Mina could tell that the former also couldn’t hide her surprised, panic state. The government, Korean government this time, once again just had to disturb them. It might look harmless, but nothing was totally transparent when it came to the government.

That day The Constraint officially opened the registration for the Players. Just like the usual, they would open it for a month for unlimited registrants. Indeed, anyone could sign up for the game. But Myoui Mina and the whole The Constraint of course didn’t expect an unwanted name to pop out among the registrants.

It was Son Chanwook, Korea’s current Congressman, signing up for his daughter, named Son Chaeyoung. Great. Myoui Mina didn’t even know he had a daughter. Or worse, the whole Korea probably didn’t too. Funny, because he was one of those snobbish politicians who rudely criticized The Constraint especially during its early years, and yet some time later he suddenly signed up for his daughter. He even once called Myoui Mina a weird spoiled kid, an insult she still remembered until now.

There was a reason why Myoui Mina loathed the government so much. They were literally never supportive of her game. They complicated almost all the processes back in the early days. They made Myoui Mina had to scramble her brain to find a way to negotiate with them to build the whole island. The money wasn’t easy too. They literally extorted her and if she didn’t agree, the game wouldn’t have been built. She knew the government was dirty but having it experienced herself was a completely different situation.

Again, it might look harmless because all the congressman did was just signing up for his daughter, but then again, it was Son Chanwook. Someone from the government, who always did in getting to Myoui Mina’s nerves every time he voiced his irrelevant opinions about The Constraint that no one wanted to hear. Some would say it was a victory, because after those insults Son Chanwook threw at Myoui Mina, in the end he was still intrigued to join the game. But Myoui Mina thought otherwise. She didn’t feel like she was winning.

More like she was threatened.

“It’s not that simple,” Myoui Mina said, hugging both knees, “he’s trying to ruin me again.”

Minatozaki Sana felt the same too.

“I know.” She brushed her black hair, closing her eyes tiredly, “But the part I don’t understand is, he involved his daughter.”

A daughter nobody knew about, to be exact.

“And it’s not even on the news.” Mina added, “Usually when politicians do some stuff news people are so thirsty to get to them but now, none. He’s just telling this to us. He knows we don’t spread out information. It’s like… he willingly gave his secret to us. And I’m feeling very skeptical about it.”

“It’s his biological daughter, I heard.” Sana stood up, started walking around again, “Nayeon, Jihyo, and Dahyun did some research and they found some… strange things about Son Chanwook. His daughter, Son Chaeyoung, was born in the same year as when he married his current wife.”

Mina sneered, “That old hag is way older than his wife. I doubt she’s his first partner. Most likely this Son Chaeyoung girl is his daughter from his previous relationship. That’s why he hides her.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Sana sighed, “We really don’t have time dealing with these family problems and .”

Hearing Minatozaki Sana cussed actually made Mina feel better. Nothing was more of a relief than knowing Minatozaki Sana was on the same page as her.

“What should we do?”

Mina put both feet down and threw her head back, leaning onto the couch. Honestly, she also didn’t know.

The rain outside poured even harder the more Mina looked at it. Her eyes were getting heavier at the sight and she could really feel how exhausted she was when Minatozaki Sana bent down to hug her from behind, resting her chin on the crook of Mina’s neck. Both of them went silent, only the clock on the window that could be heard.

“I don’t know,” Mina mumbled.

She could feel Sana nod her head slightly, “Let’s just wait. You won’t be making the decisions alone, okay? It will be fine.”

Easier said than done, Mina knew that. But as always, she never had a hard time in believing everything Minatozaki Sana said to her. It was just like that for her, and she wanted it to stay that way.

With that in mind, Mina closed her eyes and fell asleep.

-

The news spread in a speed of light.

Almost everyone, especially the ones who had worked in The Constraint for a long time, knew who Son Chanwook was and what he had done to the gaming company. His attempts to screw Myoui Mina back then were still clearly remembered, and it seemed like he wasn’t finished in what he was trying to do. But at the same time, it didn’t make sense. Didn’t Son Chanwook have a disgustingly high pride? Where did it go when he willingly signed up for his daughter? Myoui Mina never asked for that.

It was inevitable that Son Chanwook’s side kept pressing into The Constraint, or just to Myoui Mina, it was obvious. Whatever issue he had with Myoui Mina, it seemed had grown bigger the more successful the woman became. And once again he proved how demanding he was by sending all these men in suits The Constraint never invited.

Lim Nayeon rolled her eyes as she saw those men walked to where she was. She hurriedly approached Park Jihyo, held her by both cheeks, and said,

“You deal with them. I’ll get Myoui Mina.”

“But--”

Lim Nayeon silenced her with a glare before she quickly walked away. Park Jihyo could only sigh knowing that indeed only Lim Nayeon who was able to get to Myoui Mina, not anybody else. She wanted to have that privilege too, at times like that.

“Okay guys,” She turned around to the rest of the staffs and butlers around her, “let’s waste our time with these folks until Myoui Mina or Minatozaki Sana says something.”

All of them had the same pissed off expression so Park Jihyo assumed they all knew what to do with those men.

“Good afternoon.”

One of the men in suits, the one in the middle, greeted Park Jihyo and the latter did back half-heartedly.

“We’re here to meet Miss Myoui Mina.”

He said it so easily it made it hard for Park Jihyo to control her expression. How did they think they could meet Myoui Mina that quickly when even, she, an official there, had to wait for an order to do so?

“Do you have a scheduled appointment?”

He shook her head, “It’s just for a moment.”

“If you don’t have one, you can’t, Sir.”

“I have an order.”

“Well, we have rules.”

“It’s from the Congressman, Son Chanwook.”

Park Jihyo almost rolled her eyes, “Yes, but in here, we have rules. If you want to meet Miss Myoui Mina you should schedule an appointment and if she agrees, then you can proceed to meet her.”

He started to look pissed but still tried to smile. It didn’t work, Park Jihyo could tell. She wondered why people like him were always so impatient.

“Miss, it’s a very important order from the Congressman. We won’t take long.” He showed something like an ID card from inside his suits, “I’m Yoon Jungmin, the Congressman’s staff leader.”

“Great. Nice to meet you, Mr. Yoon. Now would you follow me to start the proper appointment procedure--”

“But Miss--”

“--or would you like to just go home instead?”

His patience was obviously growing thin, “Miss, the Congressman wanted it to be quick--”

“The way you, Mr. Yoon, obey the Congressman is the same as the way we obey Miss Myoui Mina here and if she says follow the rules, we follow the rules.” Park Jihyo said firmly, “And if you think Miss Myoui Mina is just lazing around in her room playing endless games while eating gummy candies with colors and pastels, then you’re wrong. She has job to do, just like the Congressman you obey so much.”

Both Park Jihyo and the Congressman’s staff, Yoon Jungmin, ended up glaring at each other for a good two minutes before he broke the silence by sighing. Park Jihyo held her smirk as she asked once more,

“So, would you follow the procedure, Sir?”

And he finally gave up.

-

“His name is Yoon Jungmin, age thirty-five, has been a staff for the Congressman for about four years. He’s married, with two sons, both are still in school. He’s been seen accompanying the Congressman almost all the time, so it is assumed that he’s one of his most trusted staffs…”

Lim Nayeon read the information about Yoon Jungmin from the iPad in her hand in front of Myoui Mina, who quietly listened. The so-called procedure to schedule an appointment to meet Myoui Mina was actually a bait to dig as many information of the requester as they could. The Constraint had some of the best IT experts and it wasn’t difficult for them to make those requesters submit their personal information in a very subtle way.

Of course Myoui Mina wouldn’t want to just willingly meet anyone, let alone people she had never met before. She had to make sure herself who they were, where they came from, and what they wanted. Some people tend to lie with their mouths and even though Myoui Mina couldn’t distinguish lies and truths, she at least could tell by digging through their personal life, just in case.

“He also graduated from--”

“Four years?” Myoui Mina cut her off.

“Yes?” Lim Nayeon looked up from the iPad, to her.

“You said he’s been a staff for four years?”

“Yes, Miss.”

Myoui Mina smiled lopsidedly, lying back to her chair’s backrest, “That’s shorter than I thought. He can’t be that loyal.”

Lim Nayeon let out a small smile of agreement, “Should I continue, Miss?”

“No, it’s enough.” She waved her hand once, then glanced at the clock on the window, “It’s been like, three hours. Is he still here?”

“Yes, Miss. He refuses to leave before you say yes.”

The CEO nodded mockingly, “Give him A for effort.”

Lim Nayeon awkwardly laughed at that.

“How’s the daughter? What’s her name again?”

“Son Chaeyoung, Miss.”

“Yes, her. How’s her? Any new information?”

“Yes, umm…” Lim Nayeon tapped the iPad a few times, “We already did some deep research but the information about Son Chaeyoung is kind of rare. We looked up for everyone else with the same name but none of them is related to Son Chanwook, it’s only this girl. But we can’t find more information about this Son Chaeyoung. We suppose that it’s intentional, Miss.”

“How so?”

“We only assume that Son Chanwook himself doesn’t want his daughter to be known. Despite his harsh attitude, his track record is pretty clean, including his private life. I guess the presence of this Son Chaeyoung might taint that a little bit, if not much.”

Myoui Mina nodded her head, “And then he suddenly, like literally suddenly, let us, the whole The Constraint to know about this information, but why?”

Lim Nayeon answered hesitantly, “We don’t know the exact motivation of him signing up for his daughter but assuming Son Chaeyoung is just like any other Players, wanting to participate in the game, Son Chanwook takes advantage of The Constraint’s system of keeping the privacy of the Players. It’s either he trusts us, or he’s testing us, baiting us in case we’re tempted to spread the information, and then fire back at us if it happens.”

Myoui Mina smirked. Always think of the worst possibilities. Lim Nayeon already had that mindset, it seemed.

She then put both arms on her desk and stared at Lim Nayeon deeply, “Can I trust you, Lim Nayeon?”

Lim Nayeon was confused, “Yes, Miss?”

But Myoui Mina was too lazy to repeat her question.

“Oh, sure, Miss. Sure, you can.”

“My worse assumption is, he has someone in here, among us. Acting like one of us. Doing things under our name, but in his order. Ready to be blamed, but along with all of us here.” Myoui Mina crossed her arms, “Can you keep an eye on everyone in here? Like everyone, everyone. Can you do it?”

“Everyone, Miss?”

“Yes. Well, except me and Minatozaki Sana, of course.”

Lim Nayeon was honestly relieved to hear that, “Sure, Miss. I will do it.”

“Okay. Now let him in.”

“Wh--” She needed a moment to remind herself that Myoui Mina meant the Congressman’s staff leader, Yoon Jungmin, “Yes, Miss. Just a moment.”

Lim Nayeon bowed deeply and exited the room. When she told Park Jihyo that Myoui Mina said yes, she could tell how irritated the latter was for dealing with that man for more than three hours.

-

Nine-Six,

When the young girl stood straight and pointed her gun to the moving targets, a finger on the trigger, Minatozaki Sana narrowed her eyes. She could tell how tense the people around her were, afraid of her reaction if Nine-Six, or Chou Tzuyu, screw up in front of her. Chou Tzuyu and the other Workers indeed didn’t know that she was watching, because they couldn’t see her through the tainted window, but Minatozaki Sana could sense they were all nervous.

She had seen some Workers did badly in their shooting training. It honestly worried her more than upset her. She didn’t get upset or even angry that easily. But of course it wasn’t a nice sight to see. Myoui Mina would hear about that. And that meant, some extra training times for those Workers who did mistakes.

It was the first time she saw Chou Tzuyu holding a gun in her hand. She wasn’t expecting much, despite Kim Dahyun literally praised the young Worker here and there for her ability. If she doesn’t do that good, it’s okay, she told herself.

Get ready,

Chou Tzuyu aimed, Minatozaki Sana leaned forward.

Shoot.

Three shots escaped the gun. Everyone held their breaths.

Eight, Eight, Nine.

And then everyone was relieved.

Chou Tzuyu let out a bright smile and clutched her chest. Minatozaki Sana clapped with the others, also with a smile she didn’t know she had. She kept watching when Chou Tzuyu exited the area after another Worker was called, and Hirai Momo embraced her in a big hug, followed by Yoo Jungyeon. It kind of surprised her. She didn’t know they were that close.

“She’s good, isn’t she?” Kim Dahyun asked her.

“Yeah, she is.” Minatozaki Sana pointed at the three Workers, “I didn’t know they were close.”

“Oh, yes, they’re pretty close. I just thought Zero-One and One-Nine could be nice friends for Nine-Six, and they’re the most senior too around here. I told both of them to accompany Nine-Six for a while but I guess they’re much closer now.”

“That’s good to know.”

Out of all the Workers there, Minatozaki Sana felt like she knew Yoo Jungyeon and Hirai Momo the best. Both of them were loyal and very much capable in doing their job. They were still young too, probably one of the main reasons why they still didn’t have any thoughts to resign, making them the most senior Workers there.

She didn’t realize that she kept staring at Chou Tzuyu being clingy with the two Workers. The sight warmed her so much until she paid no attention to the current male Worker doing the shooting training.

So when people around her suddenly clapped, she mindlessly followed, not knowing what just happened.

“He’s the best so far.” Kim Dahyun said and Minatozaki Sana just smiled despite being clueless, “He got perfect scores in all three shots.”

Minatozaki Sana glanced at the male Worker, Jackson Wang, or Five-Seven, and knew instantly he would be the best at that “Ah, yeah. Of course. As expected of him.”

She then looked back to where Chou Tzuyu was, and seeing how the young girl had wide opened at Jackson Wang’s score, she couldn’t help but laugh lightly, ended up being stared weirdly, but still politely, by the others.

She just shook her head slowly, “No, nothing. Something just crossed my mind. Who’s next?”

-

Son Chaeyoung, female, 19 years old.

Myoui Mina had half of her upper body slouched to her working desk. Her left hand was holding a paper and the other hand mindlessly tapped her own head softly. The Congressman’s staff leader had excused himself after a pretty short talk with her. She had really prepared herself for the worst, like if Yoon Jungmin would threaten her because of the complicated procedures he had to go through, but it didn’t happen. It wasn’t a long talk, and it left Myoui Mina in her confused state once again.

The first thing Myoui Mina asked him after he introduced himself and they sat down across each other on the couch, was what he wanted, and what the Congressman wanted. She didn’t have time for empty talks, and it seemed like he didn’t intend to stay longer.

He said he was there to deliver personal information of Son Chaeyoung directly to Myoui Mina. It was the Congressman’s order. He didn’t want to fill the registration form himself, but instead he wanted The Constraint, or Myoui Mina, to do it for his daughter.

At first it didn’t make sense. The registration procedure was clear. People who wanted to become Players registered themselves. It included submitting their personal information that was needed, to eventually arrange their payment in a more private communication with The Constraint. Later when the registration period ended, The Constraint would send them invitation to the skill test. It was an established system and Myoui Mina clearly never accepted any other way.

So Myoui Mina rejected it.

Just because he was a Congressman, he thought he could get a different treatment unlike the others? If it weren’t illegal, instead of giving him a special treatment, Myoui Mina would give him the worst one so he wouldn’t even think of coming back. But it wasn’t the case. Myoui Mina had principles. If it didn’t go with the rules, she wouldn’t do it.

But when Yoon Jungmin said his offer, albeit hesitantly, it started to make some sense for her.

We can pay you more, Miss.

He obviously wasn’t pleased seeing Myoui Mina’s amused expression after he said that. She knew it would lead to that; a bribery. What was a politician without bribery? They just threw money here and there easily, not thinking that those money didn’t actually belong to them.

And she couldn’t believe that the Congressman was that naïve to think that Myoui Mina could be tempted by money. Did he forget who Myoui Mina was? She was born rich and grew up to be a billionaire. She really had the urge to laugh at the Congressman’s staff leader but decided not to because she should save it to the Congressman’s face later someday.

We don’t spread out information about our registrants, Mr. Yoon.

He might have lied about the Congressman didn’t have enough time, didn’t know how, and those stupid excuses, but Myoui Mina wasn’t stupid. The Congressman didn’t want anyone to know about his daughter, and he was afraid if he followed the usual procedure, the system might be unsafe so the information could leak.

As much as Myoui Mina wanted it to happen, because it would ruin Son Chanwook,. she still wanted to keep everything in The Constraint clean. Her game had principles to always keep the privacy of the Players, unless they themselves wanted their name to be known. If the information about Son Chaeyoung was leaked, it would also taint The Constraint’s name.

So she rejected again.

His visit was useless, she remarked harshly to him. She would treat the Congressman’s daughter the same as the other registrants. She had many, many other registrants too so it wouldn’t be a matter if he decided to back out.

Unlike any other guests who were way more stubborn, Yoon Jungmin didn’t push further after that. He just nodded, said he understood and would deliver the information to the Congressman. Myoui Mina was actually relieved he didn’t force things to her but it soon faded when he left, after he insisted to leave the documents he prepared for Myoui Mina, about the Congressman’s daughter.

Someone like Son Chanwook wasn’t the type to give up so easily. He definitely would come back with whatever reason he had. When she was left alone in her room reading the information of who Son Chaeyoung really was, her anxiousness started to sweep into her all over again.

She was startled when Minatozaki Sana suddenly came in without knocking, with Kim Dahyun behind her, who only bowed and exited the room, closing the door with her.

“So someone came and I wasn’t informed?”

Myoui Mina sat straight, “You were busy.”

“Way busier than you?”

“It would take too much time.”

“Park Jihyo was with them for hours and you couldn’t spare a minute just to tell me?”

“I really don’t want to argue right now.” Myoui Mina pushed the papers on her desk to Minatozaki Sana, “Here,”

Hesitantly, because she was still annoyed, Minatozaki Sana took the papers and read it. Her frown got deeper.

“Son Chaeyoung, nineteen-years old, daughter of Son Chanwook…” She read it loudly, clearly wasn’t in a good mood, “just that? This is barely information. They don’t even include her birth date, birth place, legal mother, status--”

“He doesn’t want her to be known.”

“And that’s not how it works.”

“So what do you want to do?”

“Refuse her.”

Myoui Mina would be lying if she said she knew Minatozaki Sana was able to make such rushed decision, “Refuse her?”

“Yeah, just refuse her. She doesn’t follow the rules. She even wants things on her own. We don’t have time for someone like that. Refuse her.”

“Look,” Myoui Mina was the patient one that time, “I know you’re annoyed, we all are, but we just can’t one-sidedly refuse her without a clear reason. You said it yourself, everyone can be a Player--”

“Yeah but she doesn’t follow the rules--”

“Technically, she hasn’t violated any rule.” She said, sternly, “Or he, since Son Chanwook is basically the one behind all this, not his daughter.”

“So you’re on his side now?”

“Side? What do you mean side? There are sides now?”

Minatozaki Sana sighed loudly, harshly dropping the papers back onto the desk. Myoui Mina only stared in silence. She really didn’t know why Minatozaki Sana was that angry.

“Minatozaki Sana--”

“You’re making decisions on your own again.”

“Minatozaki Sana.” She tried again, slowly, “The one who hates Son Chanwook the most is me. You know that. If you think I’m on his side or something, I’m not. I’m just… trying to see this as neutral as possible. The feeling is mutual, he hates me too. And if I’m not careful enough he probably--”

“Okay, fine, let’s say I follow your way, will you guarantee that you won’t be making any mistake?”

Myoui Mina was getting fed-up at how she kept being cut off, “You won’t even let me talk.”

“That thing is mutual too, you won’t listen to me either and keep doing things on your own.”

“Sana--”

“This time I’ll do what you say, whatever it is. But next time, can you promise me you won’t leave me out in these decision-making processes?”

Myoui Mina looked up at her, not knowing how to respond at those questions and statements from an angry Minatozaki Sana. She wasn’t used to it. Her best friend was way better at controlling her temper than her. She didn’t know what to do.

“You can’t.”

And with that she left. Myoui Mina was too puzzled to call out her name, so she just watched until the door was closed roughly and she was left alone again. She then looked down, and seeing how the papers were scattered messily on her desk, she realized she might not be able to talk to Minatozaki Sana for the rest of the day, even for the next days ahead.

Sighing, she slouched back onto the desk and closed her eyes. That heavy feeling she had in her chest every time their arguments led up to not talking to each other came back.

She was reminded of how she hated it so much.

****

Finally Chaeng is heree eventho she hasn't appeared. And I felt like I needed more 2na when I wrote this so that's why...