Sweater

Who Owns My Heart/Give Your Heart a Break

 

Walking down the hallways, the girls had made a passage for me, looking at me like they couldn’t believe I was in the same room as Henry for more than a couple of minutes with no teacher. And once I was out of reach, they started crowding the door. Now explain to me this sudden urge to help the poor guy escape from all that madness?

It was a good thing the piano room was on the first floor. I stepped over bushes and flowers losing it’s color and wilting. When I reached the window I knew belonged to the piano, I peered inside to see that same orange hair, buried into his arms, he faced the door, like he was waiting for something to happen. Opening the window with ease- it was an old window, an old room at that- I leaned against the outside wall to stick my head in.

“Hey,” I spoke, monotone. And than coughed. Henry shot his head around, and smiled.

“Oh, what are you-“

“Had the feeling of helping, come on, before they decided to just barge in.” Henry stood up with a wide grin. Picking up his bag he hurried over. I was looking at his chest as he leaned out to see how far off the ground he had to jump. Leaning away, I looked up to see his uncertain face.

“I mean, this is the first floor. But it’s still, far? It’s like 5 feet off the ground.” I held out both my hands, offering my help. Henry took my hands, and I steadied him as he put out one foot, and sat on the sill, taking out the other. Somehow our fingers entwined, and he gribbed my hands when he jumped out. Taking a moment to steady his legs from the harsh impact or landing without bending his knees, he let my hands go and closed the window for me.

“Thanks so much.” He said, giving me a gratifying smile. I returned it with a nod,

“My names Henry Lau.” He took out one hand, and I didn’t find it weird at all. I came from New York, so people over there usually just waved and made no contact. Only professional people usually shook hands. I took it and bowed just the slightest out of Korean habit.

“Jihye, glad to help.”

We somehow ended up walking towards the bus stop together, silent. Until he broke it with a cough, “It’s getting a little chilly.” His effort for conversation made me smile. It was cute.

“Yea, it’s almost April. Do you want my sweater?” It was a sweater I bought a couple sizes larger on purpose, one because I loved wearing over sized hoodies, two, because it was snuggly to me that way. Henry was shaking his head, but I took it off anyways. He took it with another ‘thank you’ smile, and shrugged it on. It fit him perfectly.

“Thanks. I’m kind of sensitive to the cold.” He zipped the sweater up. I decided to let him keep it. It was my favorite sweater, it was red and I decorated it on my own with music notes and qoutes along the hem and sleeves. The wind blew against my skin, making goosebumbs trail up my arms, I ignored it.

“So Henry Lau, maknae of Super Junior M.”

His face was just  little grim. Maybe he thought I was a fangirl? Well I liked their songs, especially there recent one Perfection. But I was a Kyuhyun fan. I just loved his voice, and he was cute. “Yea,”

“That’s nice. Singing, dancing, on stage with your friends.”

“Not as fun as you think.” He muttered. I decided to change the subject for his benefit. Well he changed it and I went along no matter how embarrasing the subject was.

“That song was really nice. Can you sing it for me?”

“What? No!”My voice became suddenly very defensive, like he had insulted me. With a look of surpriseto me Henry puted, and I blushed. “Maybe a little.” I nervously looked at the ground. Hopeing he would see how much I didn’t want to. But if he did see it, he didn’t say, because he was looking at me expectantly. Taking a deep breath I shut my eyes tightly, and parted my lips.

I've been stranded on a lonely street
Got lost in the shadows 
Fell hard in the battle
Heard crys and the suffering
Walked through the darkness Left broken and heartless 
I'm calling out, can you hear my voice?
I'm gonna find you through all the noise
You know there's nothing that I wouldn't do
Shine your light as I reach for you 

My heart beats for love 
My heart beats for love
It's the sound that I hear 
Tells me not to give up
It breathes in my chest
And it runs through my-

The rest of the sentences was cut short when I banged into something and stumbled back. Henry had an arm in front of me, and I was looking into the eyes of a gargoyle statue. We a startled gasp I stepped back and placed both hands on my chest, “!”

With a laugh Henry let his arm fall down to his side. I frowned, feeling suddenly very comfortable with the idol and slapping his arm.

“I really like that song though. Your voice is beautiful.” Henry said. I waved the comment off, but my frown became a smile and my heart fluttered. I was even happier that it was coming from an idol who knew how to play instruments better than me and had a life as a singer.

“Yea? Thanks.”

“It’s not a love song, but it’s about love. The industry needs more music like that.” I shrugged, nodding my head because I did agree. Most of my music is that part of me that I brought from New York, where people made up songs from simply eating hot dogs. From my mom singing in the shower because she was going to go clubbing, from my dad who walked the streets with and sang about me being beautiful but a big pain in the .

“You don’t like love songs?” We started walked again, turning a corner to an empty street. It was the shortcut noone took because it was spooky. I took it all the time when it wasn’t dark. Other’s didn’t because they’d rather take their time going home with their friends. I didn’t have very close friends.

“I just… love. “ He said the word with some sort of disdain, “I’m never going to fall in love.” He said it with such certainty that I was startled, but I believed him even if he said it out of the blue, was that what he thought of love songs? That it was all a lie unless it was about hurt and pain? Thinking, who would be mean enough to break Henry’s heart?I looked at him, but his face was blank.

 

At that moment, I thought, I want to give his heart a break.

 

Be his friend, a very good friend. A friend that loved him. I easily made friends, I was the type of person to create bonds quickly, and create stronger bonds just as quick when I wanted. But why this sudden want to do this? It didn’t matter, I always listened to my heart. It was something I’ve done since the day I was born. And my heart told me to stay beside Henry and make him smile.

Song used: My heart beats for love by Miley Cyrus

Posted December 24th, 2011, 2:59pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!!!!