Fin.

Midnight Thoughts

Byulyi sighs.

 

 

It is a quarter past midnight and here she is, still wide awake sitting on the living room’s couch. The television is on but she hasn't been paying attention to whatever the channel is currently showing. Instead, she has been zoning out with her mind full of different thoughts.

 

 

“Byul…? Why are you still awake?”

 

 

The said girl looks up and smiles softly upon seeing Yongsun with disheveled hair and sleepy eyes.

 

 

Cute.

 

 

“Is the television volume too loud that it woke you up?” Byulyi asks, looking apologetic.

 

 

Yongsun shakes her head in response and takes a sit beside the younger girl, resting her head on Byulyi’s shoulder. She looks at the screen and giggles, warming Byulyi’s heart.

 

 

“What are you? Five?” Yongsun grins cheekily and pokes the blonde’s cheek. “Why are you watching Pororo at such timing?”

 

 

Byulyi's cheeks turn a shade darker and she immediately grabs the remote, flipping to a different channel.

 

 

“Anyway, you haven't answered my question yet,” Yongsun mumbles and wraps her arms around Byulyi’s waist.

 

 

What is space again?

 

 

“I I wasn't paying attention to what I was watching!” Byulyi stutters. It is embarrassing enough she was caught watching Pororo at almost one in the morning.

 

 

Yongsun rolls her eyes. “Not that question, idiot.”

 

 

“Then… which question?” Byulyi blinks.

 

 

“Why are you still awake?”

 

 

Byulyi’s mouth forms an ‘o' shape and she nods her head, smiling sheepishly after. Sometimes, she wonders why Yongsun had agreed to go out with her. There are better suitors than her. What makes her so special that Yongsun had turned down Eric for her? Eric had a well-paid job but she's only working part-time at a convenience store. Eric has good manners while Byulyi usually makes a fool of herself in front of Yongsun. Did Yongsun agree to go out with her because she pitied her? The thought itself made Byulyi’s stomach churn.

 

 

Yongsun is confused. A moment ago, Byulyi was smiling but now a frown is plastered on the blonde’s face and Yongsun could not help but worry. It is rare for her to see Byulyi so serious when the latter has always been a cheerful person.

 

 

“Why did you pick me?” Byulyi asks in a soft voice, Yongsun’s question forgotten once again.

 

 

The brunette furrows her brows. She can sense the sadness in Byulyi’s tone and it caused her heart to clench tightly. Where is the cheerful Moon Byulyi she knew?

 

 

“Is that what you've been thinking of?” Yongsun sighs and removes herself from Byulyi.

 

 

The blonde shifts her eyes back to the television wanting to avoid eye contact with Yongsun. The question was supposed to stay in her head but she had unknowingly said it out loud and now she knows she can't take it back.

 

 

“Eric is better than me in all aspects,” Byulyi adds.

 

 

“Listen,” Yongsun reaches her hand out to cup Byulyi’s cheeks, making the latter face her. Byulyi looks like a lost child and Yongsun sighs once again. “I never did once thought of wanting Eric. He's nice, yes. A gentleman too. But I fell in love with you. Not him. I did try to give him a chance but in the end, my heart still wants you.”

 

 

Byulyi continues to stay silent. She hates the fact that she is showing Yongsun her vulnerable side. She feels weak.

 

 

“You could probably hurt me over and over again and I'll still end up saying it's okay.”
 


"Why... are you-”
 


“I'm sorry. I'm just deep in thought.”

 

 

01:28

 

 

“You should go back to sleep, Yongsun. You have work later on,” Byulyi speaks up after a minute of silence. She holds onto Yongsun’s hands that are on her cheeks and pulls them away. “I'll be back to the normal Moon Byulyi once the sun rises!” Byulyi tries to lighten up the atmosphere.

 

 

Silence again.

 

 

“I can't promise I won't hurt you in the future but I'll try my best to always make you happy,” Yongsun mumbles, feeling blood rushing up her cheeks.

 

 

Byulyi, who has always been the more open and cheesy one in the relationship, is surprised to hear those words coming from Yongsun. The latter usually doesn't say things like that because she finds them too greasy though she secretly likes them whenever Byulyi does so. Hence, the brunette herself is shocked to hear those words escaping her lips fluently.

 

 

“You're so adorable,” Byulyi laughs softly and circles her arms around Yongsun’s waist, pulling her into a tight hug. Her deadly thoughts vanish into thin air when Yongsun returns the hug by wrapping her arms around her neck.

 

 

“Shut up,” Yongsun whines and hides her face on the crook of Byulyi’s neck.

 

 

“Come on, let's get you back to bed. I don't want a naggy Yongsun early in the morning,” Byulyi snickers and pats her girlfriend gently on the back.

 

 

“Carry me,” Yongsun says childishly, tightening her grip around Byulyi’s neck.

 

 

“How did I end up with a such a big baby,” Byulyi sighs dramatically.

 

 

“You love this big baby,” Yongsun yawns.

 

 

“You're right. I love my big baby a little bit too much,” Byulyi smiles.

 

 

That night, with her arms wrapped around Yongsun’s petite waist and the latter's head tucked beneath her chin, Byulyi is finally able to sleep without any thoughts consuming her.


i think the story is lacking in certain areas so forgive me for that. my writing skills are a little bit rusty since i haven't been writing for long but i hope you readers enjoyed this one-shot. please do leave a comment on the story or areas that i can improve on so i can write better stories in the future!