Before the Morning Sun (Four Seasons in the Mountains)

Before the Morning Sun (Four Seasons in the Mountains)

A/N: It takes some time before it actually starts. Please read a little further! It'll be fluffy :) If you see any mistakes, please let me know!! I can't find them all X_X


 

 

 

Before the Morning Sun (Four Seasons in the Mountains)

 

 

 

 

 

Hoseok works the night shift at that worrying rest stop lost in the middle of nowhere.

 

Don't ask how he ended up there.

 

Seriously, don't ask. Hoseok wouldn't know how to answer that question anyways. Long story short: he needed the money and the appealing idea of staying up all night doing nothing was kind of what he needed at the moment. Like a paid break, of sorts.

 

At first, Hoseok thought he would only work for two or three months, take the money and finally buy the equipment he needed to make his music and become rich and famous. Yeah. That was the plan.

 

Thing is: he's actually enjoying himself there.

 

Okay he's stuck in the middle of nowhere for 6 days straight, but it's worth it. First because the landscape is... ridiculously like an HD Discovery Channel documentary movie about Korea's flora.

 

Then also because just as he first thought it would be, the job is not really demanding. A few boxes on these rows, two-three mop swipes on the ladies' bathroom floor and he's good for the night. Plus, he's got a 'night bonus' on his pay check. What else to ask for, really?!

 

Last but not least: he's not alone.

 

It was one of his fears, to be left alone in the middle of nowhere, at the mercy of every serial killer who would dare to enter the rest stop and savagely stab him in the belly before disposing of his body (thorn into puzzle pieces beforehand) in the Discovery-Channel jungle all around the small wooden construction. (Wow! Taehyung said when Hoseok shared his anxiety on his first shift. You should really stop watching those disgusting American horror movies before going to bed, hyung!)

 

So, he's not alone working the night shift. His boss said it's for safety matters. You know, while one is getting beaten, the other can sneak away and call the cops. That kind of safety. Hoseok honestly doubted the efficacy of the procedure, but what boss says, God says. Right?

 

Taehyung's an odd kid. Not the kind of odd you can perceive at first sight, no. He's rather tall, well built, sharp jaw, unruly light brown hair (which Hoseok will never understand. Like: it's evident Taehyung never even think about his hair, but alas, they always fall right at the appropriate place on his forehead. Frustrating, considering it takes Hoseok at least 10 minutes every day...) bright smile and a little too much energy. He's playful, the kind of playful that's pleasant to have around when feeling down.

 

Though Hoseok wonders what the kid's really doing here. He's barely 19, freshly out of high school and by the way he expresses himself, he's not an idiot either. Well, not that kind of idiot. He could easily get into any good university. But no. Taehyung prefers spending his nights up working and his days in, playing whatever Japanese game on his Nintendo DS. It intrigues Hoseok at the highest point, considering how Taehyung is always so talkative: whenever the subject of their past would come up, Taehyung would find ways to subtly change the conversation or return the question to Hoseok without answering it in the end.

 

With time, Hoseok lears to leave that subject alone and talk about something else. He understand he wouldn't get any clear answer from the kid himself. And since nobody they know ever comes here, Hoseok just guesses he would better learn to know his present self than his past one.

 

It works well actually. After sharing all their 'lunch' beaks sitting at the deserted picnic table outside the shop (if you can call lunch a bowl of instant ramyun at 2AM in the middle of the mountains) they were on the best of terms. They even made plans to meet back at home once they would get their break weeks at the same time (which would be in around 5 months, if they calculated correctly).

 

All in all, Hoseok is pretty content with his current situation. Sure he misses his friends back home (whom he can only see briefly before he has to 'come back to nature' as he says), but the mountain air and the irregular flow of nocturnal travellers are doing wonders on his general moral.

 

Tonight is not different than usual. It's Tuesday, one of the laziest nights. Hoseok is currently refilling the candy racks, since it seem that today's clients had a sweet tooth (or maybe they had a school bus while he was mindlessly sleeping in his motel room next door). He's almost done when he realises he misses a box or two to complete this section.

 

"Taehyung-ah!" he calls out.

 

"Yeah?" Hoseok hears Taehyung's voice from afar. He must be in the backstore already.

 

"Could you bring be a box of each flavour of Skittles and one of sugary gummies please?"

 

"On my way."

 

Just as the little store comes back to silence, a client enters. He goes straight for the toilet, which gives time to Hoseok to finish what he's doing and reach his register since he knows the guy will probably buy something, a coffee, since it's currently 3AM and nobody can survive a long ride in the mountains without coffee in his blood. Especially when they're the only rest stop in at least a 200km area.

 

Just as predicted, the guy grabs the largest coffee size, black, and a few other snacks before coming up to the counter.

 

Hoseok is scanning the items when Taehyung exits the backstore holding a pile of boxes reaching up to his chin.

 

"Here, hyung. They were hidden..."

 

Hoseok is too focused on what he's doing to actually pay attention to the way Taehyung's voice falters when he realises there's a client. He also misses how the younger drops the box in front of the right shelf before hurrying back to the backstore.

 

"Thanks, Taehyung-ah!" Hoseok thanks him once his client is gone.

 

The answers he gets is not what's he's waiting for though.

 

"Is he gone?" Taehyung asks from where he's hidden behind the door, eyes peeking through the crack.

 

"Who is gone?"

 

"BBQ-Peanuts guy"

 

Who?

 

Hoseok bursts out laughing. BBQ-Peanunts? What the heck is that nickname?

 

"Who the Hell is this BBQ-Peanuts guy?!!"

 

"That client who just left, Jesus! Have you seen anyone else in the last two hours, hyung!!?" Taehyung is obviously exasperated when he comes out of hiding. "That guy scares the out of me!"

 

"What? He barely said two words"

 

"That's the whole point! Who don't even say thanks before leaving a shop?

 

"I guess some people do?"

 

"No, hyung, you don't understand. He never says anything. And then one day without any warning he snaps at me because we don't have any BBQ Peanuts left. Like, he was dead serious about wanting to punch me in the face if I didn't stop saying 'sorry we're out of stock, sir.' Jin says he did the same when he had to wait for a new pot of coffee to be ready. This guy is dangerous, hyung! Like, unpredictable dangerous!"

 

Oh.

 

Oh.

 

Suddenly, Hoseok doesn't find the nickname too hilarious anymore. If what Taehyung said is true, maybe the guy didn't take that well the joke Hoseok casually cracked earlier. Maybe next time it will be his turn to be snapped at. When Hoseok said he was afraid of psychopaths...!!

 

"Oh ! What if next time he punches me because my joke is bad?"

 

Taehyung pats his shoulder. "Don't worry hyung. Nobody can hate your bad jokes. Hopefully you'll actually make him smile, for once!"

 

The thought of it seds shivers down both their spines as they fall into a contemplative silence.

 

After a moment of that awkwardly deep silence, Hoseok finally brushes it off and goes back to work. Better be productive than let Taehyung scare the out of him once again. He's not sure he would even recognize the guy next time anyways!

 

"In any cases! He's gone now so let's finish today's shift before Jin and Hakyeon accuse us of sleeping in the backstore again."

 

The offer seems to shake Taehyung out of it and he lazily drags his feet to the bucket of water and mop stored in the janitor room beside the toilet room. Mopping was never Taehyung's forte.

 

So that's with this intense feeling of security - insert irony here - that Hoseok finishes his week. Tomorrow's the day he can go back home an eat a real homemade meal his mother always cooks for him whenever he calls her with that whiney-aegyo-filled-baby-like voice of his.

 

He can't wait to hear the hilarious comments his sister will come up with when he tells the BBQ-Peanuts-Guy story.

 

At least his job brings him a substantial amount of stories to talk over platefuls of jajangmyeon.

 

 

 

 

 

He meets the guys at the studio, per usual.

 

The familiar old heavy rusty door creaks when he pushes it. It's been so long, Hoseok thinks, because it's truly been too long.

 

The place still smells like long-smoked weed (freshly-smoked one too, in fact...) and gym lockers, but Hoseok knows better than to bother with that. Guys never change.

 

An ironic "Look who finally dares showing his face!" comes from the couch at the very other side of the room. Hoseok snorts. He sits right on Donghyuk's belly and steals his joint.

 

"Hey guys, what'd'I miss?" he asks as he's being pushed to the floor, almost choking on the smoke he inhaled.

 

"Not much. Just Ikje getting fired again. Twice, actually." Hyosang chirps from the recording booth.

 

Said Ikje sends him death threats from the main console and Hunchul just spins around on his office chair (like, the only comfy one they got. They used to call it the 'throne'.).

 

"Yeah, not much." Hoseok concludes.

 

There are things that never change.

 

His late Fridays with the boys never do.

 

It's them, messing around with old recording equipment, but still succeeding in creating something decent despite the fact of being stoned out of their mind.

 

Not that they're hopeless youth. They just like spending good time doing what they like. Rap, for instance.

 

Sometimes, they attend some random party thrown in a random dorm of the nearest campus. Sometimes they show up at underground showcases. Their 'group' is more or less renowned in the neighbourhood though. Where most are solo wannabes aiming for the top, Hoseok's crew just want to have fun. People like people who have evident fun with whatever they're doing, so everything goes well for them - considering the fact that they're not trying to get big, really.

 

Hoseok makes music because it helps him reach some sort of catharsis. Deep down inside, he secretly hopes to make it big with his music, especially his texts, because he doesn't know anything apart music. He doesn't even know how he would survive without any form of it, work related or not.

 

Tonight though is just random hanging out at Ikje's old recording studio. The equipment is almost as antique as the building itself, but it still records with clockwork precision the notes they rap, so it's okay. The walls are covered with graffiti - remaining of drunken nights centuries ago - and it's most definitely Hoseok's favourite place in the world.

 

Time to go back always comes way too soon for Hoseok's liking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

That winter is doomed with incessant snowstorms and it's starting to slowly drive Hoseok crazy.

 

There's absolutely nothing to do at the rest stop. The storms only mean nobody is crazy enough to take the mountain roads in such conditions. When the temperature brightens (which is like, one day per week) a significant amount of people hurry to cross the mountain road. But those people influx are always interrupted by yet another snowstorm and, well, Hoseok thinks that sleeping at night, for once, wouldn't change anything in their current state of professional boredom.

 

It's so boring that Taehyung and him actually watch action movies and anime while drinking beer and energy drinks at least three nights a week now.

 

No need to mention that the shop is as clean as an operation block.

 

It's Tuesday, 3AM and snowing particularly bad outside when the doorbell chirps, interrupting the main character dying on Taehyung's laptop screen.

 

"----od's sake, Namjoon!! I won't drive another minute in that ing blizzard! I can't even see the hood if my car!" The client says, brushing the show out of his reddish hair. His cheeks are lightly tinted with red and Hoseok can't decide if it's because of the 8 feet he had to walk outside or from anger.

 

"--- No, you ing listen to me, goddammit! I won't risk dying in the mountains for one mothering appointment! I'll safely catch on the sleep I've been missing for the last 50 hours, then, and only then, I'll ride what's left of the road to hear that probably vomit-inducing amateur music."

 

The client wanders around the shop, clearly knowing what he wants (and not caring about disturbing anyone at all) for he grabs what seems to be the first thing that falls under his hand, pours himself a soothing tea and heads for the register.

 

"Now, if you please don't mind," he continues, "I'll hang up before I throw my phone at the poor cashier's face. See you tomorrow, Kim Namjoon. And don't care calling every hour, I'll turn off my phone. Bye."

 

Hoseok doesn't even notice Taehyung fleeing the scene like a rat leaving a sinking boat.

 

The man, BBQ-Peanut guy -- because who else, really-- walks up to the counter and slamms his credit card onto it, along with the two or three snacks he fetched beforehand (oh look, bbq peanuts, how surprising!). Hoseok does his thing with the register and gives him a room key, along with his card. He is not dumb enough to fake he didn't hear what the guy said on the phone. He isn't quite ready to die just yet.

 

One of the services the rest stop offers is a motel-like resting area where one can rent a small room in emergency cases as today.

 

(Being the only civilisation-like landmark in a vast area meas offering the best services as possible, or at least the most important, saying eating, peeing and sleeping. Though, the rooms are... not reassuring, so rare are those who use them. It's also where the employees spend the night during their 6 days duty. They're here to work nor to spend lazy time in five stars rooms--which the motel's aren't, by the way...)

 

"Demanding boss,?" Hoseok asks, trying to start a casual conversation with the grumpy, imposing little man.

 

"More like stuck-up moron associate yeah." The guy grumbles, clearly impatient to get out of there. He quickly enters his pin number into the machine and leaves. A heavy silence remains after his departure.

 

Taehyung passes his head out of the backstore door, looking more like a scared groundhog than an employee of a scary rest stop in the mountains.

 

"Is he gone yet?"

 

"Yeah, you can come finish the movie now" Hoseok bribes him out.

 

"Gosh, how I hate this guy's presence. It's like I can never guess what he's really thinking." Taehyung shivers.

 

"He does seem scary, but I'm sure he's not that bad, really. Maybe he's just not good at expressing himself" Hoseok tries his best to reassure the younger. In a way, he was also trying to convince himself. Though, he shall learn later that he was not totally far from the right answer.

 

Predictably, no other client showed up after the interruption of BBQ-Peanuts-Guy. Hoseok wishes Taehyung goodnight and locks himself up in his own room.

 

Something had been nagging at the back of his head since the client had left a few hours ago and he knows exactly who could light his lantern. He fishes his phone from his back pocket and texts Ikje.

 

[Hyung, do we know anyone named Kim Namjoon??]

 

And even at 6AM, Ikje answers back in a matter of seconds. Hoseok sometimes wonders if he even sleeps.

 

[Not personally. Hes producer at bighit. Yknow, young n promising genius of sorts. Y?]

 

[Nothing. Just a client who was talking to him on the phone. Name ringed a bell.]

 

So Hoseok was right. He did know a Kim Namjoon and said Kim Namjoon had the power of making him big in music industry. That meant that the little angry man was his associate and that he too had such a power.

 

, Hoseok thinks, I might have gotten on the bad side of BBQ-Peanuts-Guy with my lame jokes, the one person who can make my dream come true.

 

Hoseok panics a little inside. Then he grabs a pen and a random piece of paper and writes down how ed up this whole situation is before crashing to bed for a well deserved night (morning) of sleep. In a way, he is happy he doesn't have to be the one to complete the guy's checkout later today.

 

 

 

 

 

The crappy winter finally ends, only to leave room for an even crappier spring time. The constant snowing had left piles and piles of snow. But it had to melt and the slush it made left no pair of shoe dry.

 

None.

 

"Not again, dammit!" Hoseok complains for the umpteenth time when he comes in that night "I don't know about yours, but my room is full of hanging socks drying in the wild. How can slush be so... everywhere!?"

 

"I don't know, hyung." Taehyung answers lazily. He's behind the counter restacking the cigarette racks. "Maybe it's your karma. Did you do anything to upset Jesus? Or maybe you need new shoes. You should stop eating candies and save up to buy something suitable to wear."

 

Hoseok throws a bag of candies at him. "Ha. Ha. Real funny," he says, finishing up his work with the candies. "You're right though... Maybe Jesus doesn't like me anymore" He adds on a fake scared tone.

 

Taehyung chuckled. "You should leave early and pray tonight, hyung."

 

"Right. Will you be able to close the shop alone?"

 

"Pff. I'm eccentric, not brainless."

 

Their laughter echoes through the shop. They barely hear the bell on top of the door chirm. Instinctively, Taehyung looks towards the door to welcome the new client, but his words never leave his mouth. His face falls, a serious expression Hoseok never saw before plastered all over his manly features.

 

"Jungkook..." he whispers and Hoseok takes it as his cue to discretely leave the scene.

 

"Taehyung..." Hoseok hears the other young man answer as he reaches the backstore door. It isn't his intention to pry, but the tension he felt between both of them made him curious.

 

"Why are you here?" he hears Taehyung ask. His tone is ice cold, yet it holds something Hoseok can't quite name yet.

 

"I...I'm going back to Busan with my parents for the weekend... I... I didn't know you were working here..."

 

"Well, I obviously am" An awkward silence follows. Hoseok hears footsteps, then the sound of a bag of chips and the beep of the register.

 

"How's Jimin?" Taehyung asks, trying to sound casual.

 

"He misses you, you know." The other answers.

 

"... I miss him too."

 

Taehyung took too long to answer.

 

Then, the door opens and a light breeze swirls around Hoseok's humid feet.

 

"Goodbye, Taehyung."

 

The door closes and Hoseok is deafened by the unusual silence.

 

He takes his sweet time to gather a few new boxes to put on the shelves, and tries to act casual for the rest of the night.

 

"Hyung. You know I said you could leave early earlier... could we switch? I mean, I don't feel too well... could I...?"

 

"It's okay, Tae. Go, I'll be alright."

 

"Thanks, hyung." Taehyung thanks, voice airy.

 

He leaves so quickly Hoseok has to take a few seconds to proceed what just happened.

 

Obviously, something important happened between Taehyung and the boy from earlier. Is it the reason he is working here, lost in the middle of nowhere with the minimal social interaction possible?

 

Hoseok makes a mental note to ask Taehyung soon, once he would get over the shock of tonight's encounter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spring time did not mean BBQ-Peanuts Guy stopping his night trips through the mountains.

 

Now that Hoseok knows who he is, he always have this thought nagging at the back of his head...

 

He should show him his mixtape, the one he recorded the last time he went home. Ikje said that the beat was killer and that the lyrics slay so he is pretty confident about it. Though maybe he should wait so he has a few more tracks before he starts giving it out?

 

On the other hand, one track is often what it takes to make it big...

 

Hoseok doesn't want to be a One Hit Wonder though...

 

He decides that he would wait until BBQ-Peanuts Guy is used to him before he tries to ask for any favour. He doesn't want to look like an opportunist. (He is.)

 

In the dark (not so dark) of his crappy motel room, he writes lines and lines of lyrics. Soft ones, harsh ones, engaged and disinterested ones, just in case. Sheets of all kinds are accumulating on the small desk, trashcan overflowing.

 

He can hear the beats on which he will rap them. Though, without equipments he can't do anything to create anything viable. He only wishes he will remember next time he will go home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Jimin was my best friend back in high school."

 

The snow is almost all melted. The only reminders of the ty winter that just ended are the little bunches of snow at the border of the woods all around the shop.

 

It's this part of the year where nothing happens, no holiday, no special event, just life. It means slower business so the boys are starting to have more frequent breaks outside, since the temperature is more bearable.

 

They make the picnic table their HQ and they spend minutes playing around while eating.

 

Tonight though, the moon is high in the sky, almost full and the soft breeze is hotter than usual. It gives a nostalgic vibe to both of them. Hoseok thought it was time to ask what happened back then, almost a month and a half ago, when Jungkook came.

 

Taehyung had a hard time coming back to his cheerful self after that night. It worried Hoseok to see him so down all the time. But Taehyung was back to his normal self now and Hoseok believes it was not a heartless move to ask (with tact that is.) So, Taehyung answers.

 

"Jimin was my best friend back in high school."

 

"But this guy, Jungkook..."

 

"Is his new best friend."

 

"Owh."

 

Okay, so maybe Hoseok shouldn't have asked. Now he feels bad.

 

"Sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

 

"It's okay, hyung. It's time I act like an adult and face the truth anyways."

 

"You don't have to remind painful memories if it hurts, Tae."

 

"I know. But it's better that way. I made terrible choices back then. So many mistakes. I hurt many people, including myself. I..."

 

"We all make mistakes, y'know" Hoseok tries to comfort, with no success.

 

"People usually try to repair their mistakes. And I fled here..."

 

"Do you want to tell me the whole story? Maybe if you get it off your chest... I'm sure you told no one of what happened, am I right?"

 

"Hm. Promise you won't judge?"

 

"I promise."

 

A long silence follows Hoseok's promise. Taehyung sighs and finally start talking.

 

"Jimin and I were always together, always. We had sleepovers every weekend, we would hang out after school, do our homework together, study for exams, eat, play, text, watch each other's back. We were supposed to go to college together."

 

Taehyung plays with the hole at the end of his sleeve while talking, like he was talking without even realising it, like a word cascade.

 

"The only thing we didn't do together was dancing. Jimin loved it and I didn't: too lazy. He was part of the school's dance club. But then during our last year, Jungkook came to our school. He was two years younger than us and Jimin took him under his wing almost immediately because he was talented. Like, madly talented. Like you, hyung. I saw how you dance in the backstore sometimes..."

 

"Don't change the subject, Tae." Hoseok kindly scolds, trying to hide a faint smile. Taehyung sighs again.

 

"They started hanging out more and more often. I got jealous... or something along these lines. I felt a little... rejected. A little like an old favourite t-shirt replaced with another one, but still kept around because there's memories attached to it, you know. I told Jimin horrible things, like he was not a good friend and such. I deliberately ignored his calls since he was so better off with Jungkook, dancing all the time. He tried to reach out to me but I just... ignored it. So obviously he grew tired of running after someone who ignored him and he just gave up. He hung out with Jungkook instead."

 

Taehyung drinks from his Pepsi bottle to give himself some countenance. He still isn't meeting Hoseok's eyes, not even looking his way. His gaze is lost in the woods on the other side of the road, like he is trying to remember something far, far away.

 

"We were supposed to go to college together, as I said. We would attend the nearest university, where there was a dance club for Jimin and an anime club for me. But since he was hanging out with Jungkook and that Jungkook wanted to make it big, he wanted to attend a college specialised in scenic arts. He succeeded in convincing Jimin. When he told me I... I took it pretty badly. It meant something was broken, that it wouldn't come back as it was before. Never. I managed to be hired here as soon as high school finished. And then you came and the nights were not so lonely anymore."

 

Hoseok couldn't say anything after that. Not when Taehyung's story make him feel like someone is dead. Not when he feels him so small besides him. He wrapps an arm around Taehyung and holds him close.

 

There is nothing he can do. The ball is on Taehyung' side now. He has to reach out to Jimin from his own will. Hoseok can only stay by his side and watch his back. He only wishes that Taehyung will find the courage to do so, because now Hoseok knows, he finally understands that part of himself Taehyung is hiding behind a facade of stupid and hilarious: it is the scared little boy who was damaged and can never be repaired due to missing pieces, to chipped parts.

 

"It's gonna be alright, Tae." Hoseok tries, even if he knows it won't quite work. "Whatever you do or whatever happens, I'll be on your side, okay? I can't promise you it won't hurt anymore, but I'll help you get through it, okay?"

 

Taehyung still doesn't quite face him, but at least he isn't running away. Even better, he trusted him with his painful story.

 

Hoseok suspects that Taehyung is/was in love with Jimin and that Jimin's meeting with Jungkook made Taehyung panic. Hoseok decides that he has no right to judge him. So he does just that, he doesn't. He discretely changes the subject and the look in Taehyung's eyes when he does was worth all the bags of candies in the world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Five trips home later left Hoseok with three new tracks for his mixtape.

 

Three very different killer tracks (Ikje's words) but not a single ounce of courage.

 

The irony in all this is that BBQ-Peanuts Guy came just as often as he always did and now he was not as moody as in the beginning. He sure still had to make a real, full smile, but he wasn't looking at Hoseok with disdain anymore.

 

"So, hem, I get that you're a music producer, uh?" Hoseok tests the waters as he scanns the guy's items.

 

"Yeah." Short answer. Risky.

 

"How is it? I mean, it must be like living a dream, right?"

 

"At the beginning yeah, you could say that. But the longer you're around, the most you hear ty amateur music trying to get big, and that, that is the worst kind of pain. Believe me."

 

Ouch.

 

Hoseok tries to laugh a casual laugh. "Haha, yeah of course. I see what you mean. Have a safe trip." He salutes before the redhead leaves the rest stop.

 

"Aren't you an amateur making music who wants to make it big?" Taehyung asks from behind the chips rack where he hid.

 

"Shut up, Tae."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It actually took Hoseok a few more weeks before he gathered enough courage to actually pass his mixtape to BBQ-Peanuts Guy.

 

It is Tuesday again and hot enough outside to go around wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt only. Hoseok can hear the crows in the far away in the forest: heath is approaching.

 

The producer once again shows up at his usual time. Hoseok wonders if there are night shifts in production teams. When the guy comes up to the counter with his coffee and bag of BBQ peanuts, Hoseok feels his stomach squirm. Now's the moment.

 

"Hey... Remember the other day when you said there were lots of people trying to get big with their music?"

 

The guy only raises an eyebrow at him. Hoseok nervously clears his throat.

 

"Apparently I do compose a little. I've been doing it for a long time now. I'd like you to hear it... Please!" he adds quickly. He doesn't want to sound too desperate. (He did.) With that, he takes his mixtape from somewhere around the register and hand it out to the short guy.

 

"If you remember correctly I said amateur music was a pain in the ," the guy says.

 

"I know. I promise it's not as ty as it looks. Take it, please. Even if it takes months before you listen to it. Please."

 

"Fine," the producer says and with that, he takes his coffee and peanuts and leaves.

 

"Smooth, hyung." Taehyung laughs, coming out of the ladies' room with his mop and wheeled water bucket. "He almost didn't judge you."

 

"At least he took it." Hoseok replies, nervously scratching his chest. "Damn I was so nervous. My heart's about to come out of my chest."

 

"I guess he'll probably forget it in the mess of his car now. Doesn't seem like the 'clean' kind of guy."

 

"You little... is this a way to support your poor hyung!? You'll have to clean the bathrooms for the rest of the week so I can feel better after all the mean things you said, brat."

 

Taehyung rolls his eyes at Hoseok's almost-menacing tone and enters the men's bathrooms, pushing his water bucket with his mop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Classes had just ended when reality hit Taehyung in the face like a psycho .

 

Traffic is coming back to normal since the conditions of the road are better than during the winter. It means little more clients than usual (barely) and way much more racks to fill up during the night.

 

Hoseok expected his nights to be a little less boring (he and Taehyung might have watched every existing anime at least twice during the winter) and it is the case. What he didn't expect though is the bus that arrives a week after the end of the semester, full of wild college students.

 

Apparently, Taehyung didn't expect it either.

 

They both see the bus park in the bus-reserved area of the rest stop and endless waves of students comes out of it. From the looks of it, it is an athletic club for some university. Must be a competition somewhere. It is quite rare that they travel by night though.

 

The loud wave enters the shop and soon the place is full of noise. Hoseok reaches the counter and prepares the second register so the clients won't have to wait too long before paying.

 

Lines soon appear in front of them, every kid buying the same kind of s: Gatorade and chips, Gatorade and chocolate, Gatorade and candies. Definitely an athletic club.

 

Hoseok hears Taehyung drop a bottle of said Gatorade on the counter. It is pretty unusual of him: he is always very precise in his movements. Hoseok instinctively turns to see the origin of the noise, but where he expected to see Taehyung laugh at his poor coordination skills he sees the latter paralyzed, eyes wide, face paler than usual.

 

The face of someone who have seen a ghost.

 

"So, Jungkook was right," the boy in front of Taehyung comments.

 

"Jimin." Taehyung effectively sounded like he had seen a ghost.

 

"Listen," 'Jimin' continues. "I don't have time to chat since Coach said we only had a 10 minutes stop but... Call me, okay? I regret what happened and I... I'm sorry. Let's hang out again, kay?" Clearly, the boy is honest in his sayings.

 

It takes Taehyung a few seconds to snap out of the paralysis and finally nod. "Yeah," he mutters "Yeah, okay. Yeah."

 

"Great! So I'll, uh, see you around." The boy awkwardly concludes.

 

"Goodbye Jimin."

 

After that, Taehyung focused on his task, scanning and giving back the change with a closed face Hoseok never saw on him. Like he was lost in his thoughts and accomplished his task on automatic mode.

 

When the bus finally leaves, Taehyung announces that he is heading outside to wind down. Hoseok lets him go, knowing that he needs that time alone to sort his thoughts out.

 

A few minutes later though, he also goes out, bringing Taehyung a cup of hot instant ramyun.

 

Taehyung is sitting at their usual picnic table, arms crossed, head resting on them.

 

"Here." Hoseok says as he drops the ramyun in front of him. Taehyung could never resist ramyun. He takes the chopsticks, starts eating slowly.

 

"He was still Jimin." Taehyung announces after a long silence.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yeah. Same awkward and deadly honest." Taehyung clarifies, half-smile hung on his face and eyes lost in the void.

 

There. There it is: the affection, stronger than ever. Hoseok once again has this feeling that Jimin holds an important part of Taehyung's heart, but it isn't his business to deal with. He can only support Taehyung in his decisions and he truly hopes that things would get better between them. Even if it is not like before, at least Tae would be close to him and it is the only thing that matters. So Hoseok decides that he will do everything he can to convince Taehyung to man up and call Jimin, even if he's pissing himself with anticipation.

 

That night, Hoseok saw more sides of Taehyung than he had in the previous 10 months. He realised that even if he could appear as odd and entertaining, he was still a human being with emotions that needed to be protected. Hoseok made it his hyung duty to do so.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Middle of summer left the boys eating popsicles outside in the middle of the night since the temperature allowed it.

 

Hoseok still haven't heard any comment about his mixtape from BBQ-Producer and he is starting to feel down about it. Not that he didn't see the guy afterwards. At the contrary, he still comes in every Tuesday night at around 2:30AM, buy his peanuts and coffee and leave.

 

He never gives any feedback.

 

Hoseok sporadically thinks he is a ty rapper.

 

Taehyung and he are eating Cyclone popsicles on the concrete step in front of the door of the rest stop when a car parks near them.

 

"Slacking off, guys?" a familiar nagging voice comes to their ears. The guy takes a few steps and Hoseok finally recognizes him when he walks into the artificial light of the exterior light bulbs.

 

"We wouldn't dare." Hoseok counters maliciously.

 

"Yeah, right." The producer laughs softly. He enters the shop, leaving the guys to their popsicles.

 

Taehyung and Hoseok look at each other. Taehyung have that look on his face, the one that asked "you go please, I can't do this," the same as when one of the toilets is blocked (always the same toilet, go understand why.) Hoseok chuckles and stands up.

 

He reaches his side of the register at the same time BBQ-Producer does. The guy drops his stuff on the counter and reach for his wallet.

 

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you." He announces.

 

"Uh?" Hoseok is surprised because the producer never initiated any conversation before and he just did for the second time tonight and Hoseok doesn't know what is going on anymore.

 

"My phone died on the way and I had to rely on good old CDs to survive the road. Anyways, I listened to your mixtape and I think it's pretty good for raw material."

 

Hoseok feels his stomach do wheelies and 360 in his belly. He thought the guy had forgotten (but there again he doesn't look like the kind of person who forget) He bows and mumble incoherent thanks.

 

"Look, I don't usually do that, but I want you to come over at the studio when you'll be back to civilisation." The producer continues, taking a card out of his wallet.

 

An business card.

 

It's not in exact good shape and the corners are worn out from being in that wallet for too long, sign that the guy is saying the truth. He casually slides it over the counter. "I think we could make something interesting out of your tracks."

 

"Ah yes. Yes. Thank you. I will." Hoseok bows, and bows again, just for the meaning of it and then has to do everything he can to control his excitement as the producer leaves the shop, and then the parking lot.

 

He stares at the business card. Funny how a simple piece of paper can change everything within a few seconds. On top, in bold, blue letters, the logo and contact info of BigHit. Then, under it, right in the middle, the name and title.

 

Min Yoongi

Producer

 

Hoseok was never so happy to learn someone's name, not even the name of his first crush back in grade school. Then he realises he never actually cared about the name before, how ironic.

 

He has to tell Taehyung.

 

He bursts out of the shop, surprising a daydreaming Taehyung still sitting on the concrete in front of the door.

 

"I did it Tae! He asked me to come to the studio!!!" Hoseok screams. Then he shrieks a very loud Hoseok-like shriek, unable to contain his excitement any longer.

 

Taehyung laughs and pat his back. "Congrats, hyung! You made it!"

 

Hoseok answers by another inhuman shriek, which make Taehyung laugh even louder.

 

When they are sure nobody else will come, they sit at their picnic table with a beer. They are not supposed to drink on their shift, but hey, it's not like anybody's watching on them. And they're adults now, they can easily drink and work at the same time, right?

 

That morning, Hoseok has trouble sleeping. The beer he had didn't relax him at all. It only gave him a sugar rush, meaning he won't sleep before hours. He decides the time is right to write a few more lines.

 

When finally he goes to bed, his desk is a mess of papers and eraser dirt.

 

Not a single coherent line in sight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few days later, Hoseok finds himself on a beach at sundown.

 

It's a tradition of sorts. Instead of camping, the guys took on having all nighters at the beach instead. It's silly, you'd say. Maybe, but nobody ever care to go to the beach at night at the end of summer, not even the cops. That means a little fire, a few spliffs and lots of junk food.

 

Hoseok is building a (ugly) sandcastle when Donghyuk calls him.

 

"Hey Hobi! What's up with you?" he asks from the towel he is sitting on.

 

"What do you mean?!" Hoseok frowns at his castle, not exactly seeing the matter.

 

"Well" Donghyuk explains, "I think I've never seen you build a sandcastle before. Hyosang is always the one to build one. You suspicious, man."

 

"He's right, man" Hunchul agrees. "You're strangely happy."

 

"It's a girl, isn't it?" Ikje jumps into the teasing.

 

"Right, I guess it's a short and tiny chick, just as he likes them. Admit it, Hoseok!" The guys go on for a few minutes before Hoseok is actually able to say something coherent.

 

"Actually guys..." Hoseok trails, prolonging the suspense until he can see his friends about to crack a tooth with impatience "A producer from BigHit asked me to come to the studio to, I quote, 'make something interesting out of my tracks.'"

 

"You're kidding, right?" Ikje deadpans. Hoseok shakes his head no.

 

What happens next is a little blurry into Hoseok's brain. He remembers cheerful roars, slaps in his back and then nothing else. He might have drunk more than expected.

 

He shouldn't have drunk that much though. What will he look like in front of all that important people?

 

His eyes are watery and a little bit red from the lack of sleep (but mostly because of all the Mary he smoke the night prior) and he could have worn better clothes if Hyosang hadn't dropped his Pepsi on him minutes before he came here.

 

He's now in the lobby of a big and nice building, you know, the newish kind of them with glass and mirrors everywhere. He holds the business card in his hand and have no ing idea where to go after that.

 

Luckily for him, a front desk lady sees him and signals him to come closer.

 

"Can I help you, sir?" she politely asks.

 

Hoseok held out the business card. "Min Yoongi asked me to come here. I don't have an appointment though." He quickly adds since it seems like the kind of place where you need an appointment just to be there.

 

"Just a minute please." The lady nods and quickly dials a number on her desk phone. "He's waiting for you. Take the elevator on your left and go up to the 11th floor. It will be on the right then." Hoseok bows.

 

He does exactly as the lady said and surprisingly don't get lost in the labyrinth.

 

He's welcomed by the sound of an instrumental track and the whispering of two or more persons. He opens the door and the whispers stop.

 

There, sitting in front of a machine with earphones on one ear is Yoongi, and standing behind him, looking over the latter's shoulder is another guy with blond hair and round cheeks but slim body.

 

Almost immediately, Yoongi stands and welcome him. Then the other guy introduces himself as 'Namjoon' and Hoseok can now put a face on a name. He is the young genius producer and Yoongi is his right hand.

 

It is a little bit awkward at first. They play the mixtape Hoseok gave Yoongi many weeks ago and Hoseok feels a little self-conscious about it, but Namjoon seems to like it since he bobs his head to the beat.

 

Then, after a few minutes during which Yoongi and Namjoon discuss tones and effects (Hoseok understands only half of it) they all sit together to work on the instrumental.

 

Hoseok thought his instrumental was great, but Namjoon says otherwise.

 

"It lacks depth." He explained. "You have the beats, the effects are generally okay, but there's a background layer missing and we'll give it what it takes." Namjoon explains like he's going to repaint a wall.

 

So they do just that. Most of the time, Hoseok just looks at them and agree to everything they said because, hey! They're the pros. Though even if they are working on his baby, Hoseok doesn't feel insulted. He is fascinated, amazed by how easy they make it look.

 

After a while, Namjoon quits to grab lunch, leaving Hoseok alone with Yoongi. Now that he has an opportunity, he takes a good look at the young producer. He has small crescent eyes, a round nose and a cute little mouth. It's dark in the room so Hoseok hadn't noticed yet, but apparently he changed his hair color to a bronze-ish orange. The color is great.

 

Namjoon returns with some street food, a Pepsi for himself and Hoseok and a tea for Yoongi. Then, they eat.

 

Afternoon evolves just like the morning have: quietly and productively. But then, suppertime arrives and Namjoon go out again to pick up food. The routine intrigues Hoseok.

 

"Is he always the one to go out to pick up the food?" he asks.

 

"Yeah. He needs a break and I need the alone time." Yoongi answers absentmindedly. Then he spots Hoseok's face. "Don't worry, you can stay here" Yoongi adds. Hoseok doesn't want to intrude. "When you see someone as often as I see Namjoon and his Knowledge, trust me, you want to have a little alone time."

 

"Is it that bad?" Hoseok asks, because he is already starting to perceive what Yoongi means about Namjoon.

 

"You have no idea." The producer concludes and both start laughing like little kids.

 

Namjoon finally returns with the same kind of street food as earlier, more Pepsi and a coffee for Yoongi. Hoseok vaguely wonders how they can stay so slim by eating such food every meal.

 

But then he quickly forgets about it when they ask him to reach the recording booth. Hoseok feels a little excitation spread through his body. It isn't his first time in a recording booth, but it is in one as professional as this one.

 

They don't record for long though. It's getting late so they decide to come the following day. Hoseok won't be able to stay the whole day since he has to go back to the rest stop, but he believes it will be enough to finish his recording. Namjoon isn't there when he arrives. A meeting, Yoongi announces. It means it will only be the two of them then.

 

In that studio that smells like new wires and floor cleaning products instead of pot, Hoseok is amazed by Yoongi's skills. If Namjoon is the 'ear', Yoongi has the technique. He flies from one machine to another and Hoseok could watch him work all day with how amazed he is.

 

Not-exactly-two days are enough to understand that Yoongi eats kids snacks (the colourful gummy ones) almost all the time, drinks apple juice in the morning, tea in the afternoon and coffee at night. A creature of habits. He has an expressive face (read: intimidating), but is in fact a softie.

 

For reasons, Hoseok wants to hug him.

 

It's around that time, while he is driving back to his workplace that Hoseok realises that he might had fallen in like with the guy. Not in Love, because love is big and abstract and as intimidating as Yoongi without BBQ peanuts.

 

But yeah, Hoseok might be in like with Yoongi.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few days before the beginning of the autumn semester, Taehyung went back to his home to spend his few days off.

 

Hoseok works his night shift with Jin. Jin doesn't usually do the night shift, but a technical problem decided otherwise.

 

Jin is a good guy, Hoseok decides. He talks quietly, makes jokes lamer than Hoseok's and laughs at them hiding his mouth with a closed fist. It's cute. Jin is very pleasant to work with, but it's not the same as when he's with Taehyung.

 

Now that he realises it, Taehyung and him have a very good team chemistry, a routine. Of course it's not the first time that Hoseok has to work the night shift with someone else. It's usually Hyuk or Wonsik who do it. Both are also real nice since they're about Hoseok's age and they can hang out a little when business is slow.

 

With Jin it's a little different and he can't pinpoint exactly why. It makes him miss Taehyung more than usual.

 

Hoseok is so relieved when the latter comes back that he literally traps him into a bear hug, thing they usually don't do since it's not bro-ish nor manly.

 

With Taehyung squeezed against his chest, a bit rigid and awkward, Hoseok can feel that something's wrong. He takes a step back, holding Taehyung by the shoulders.

 

"Tae, what's wrong!?" From up close, Hoseok can also see it plastered all over Taehyung's face.

 

The younger leads them to the picnic table, not caring a single second about the clients who might show up. He sits on the upper part of the table, feet on the bench. Hoseok joins him.

 

It takes a few seconds before he finally starts talking. Hoseok kindda understood what was happening before he opened his mouth. He had only seen Taehyung act this way twice and both times were when it concerned Jimin so Hoseok made the link quite easily.

 

"I met Jimin." Taehyung finally announces and it confirmed Hoseok's thoughts.

 

"Yeah? How'd it go?" He asks carefully because he feels that the other is still on edge.

 

"Despite every bad case scenario I had played in my head, it went okay." Taehyung starts.

 

"Just okay?"

 

"Yeah... No. I don't know. We went to the basketball field in our neighbourhood. At first it was awkward, y'know. Like we wanted to act just like before, but at the same time both knew there was 'something' standing between us. I... We played, just like we used to. It felt good."

 

Words fall from Taehyung's mouth as steadily as a cascade, yet, not as quickly.

 

"Then we grew tired of running and jumping around so we just laid down there trying to find out something resembling a star. And that's when we actually talked."

 

Hoseok is not quite sure who Taehyung is talking to, him or himself.

 

"He's happy, hyung. That's the most important. He dances in his college's dance club, goes to competitions that they actually win. I told him I was sorry for how I'd acted, that it was childish. Then he told me that he knew it and that I was forgiven since forever. Hyung, he's so perfect, how could I ever be mad at him, goddammit!?" Taehyung finished and hid his face in his hands.

 

"From what I get of your meeting, it went well. Why are you so down?" Hoseok truly wonders. They are on good way to come back as an infernal duo. Why the Hell is he so down then!?

 

"I don't know. Maybe I regret I didn't talk to him earlier."

 

"Tae, I'm going to ask you something and I want you to answer honestly even if you don't like it, okay?" Hoseok hopes it will help Taehyung more than hurt him. Maybe it can help him see more clearly.

 

"Okay? What is it?"

 

"Do you, by any chance, like Jimin?"

 

"Of course I like Jimin, hyung. I just told you he's the kindest person ever." Taehyung chuckles.

 

"I meant like as in Like."

 

"Oh..." Taehyung takes a moment before answering. "I do," he admits quietly.

 

"That's why you were so mad when he spent time with Jungkook, right?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"You should tell him."

 

"What!? Are you dumb!? He'll never want to talk to me again."

 

"I wouldn't be so sure, Tae. I might not have known you when you were younger, but from what I saw the other day, Jimin was truly happy to see you alive. He cares. He would have ignored you otherwise. Even if it leads nowhere just... be honest. It'll clarify lots of things. For everyone." Hoseok never knew he had a psychologist into his multiple personalities.

 

Taehyung doesn't argue after that, don't add anything either. His gaze gets lost in the dense woods on the other side of the road, deep in thoughts.

 

Hoseok pats him on the shoulder and leaves him be. He'll come in to work whenever he's ready.

 

It's not like there's a rush anyways.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That same night happened to be a Tuesday.

 

Taehyung finally came back after over an hour outside, alone. He is acting casual, but Hoseok can see that he is still pretty shaken. Though, he is making efforts so it won't show.

 

The chirping of the bell surprises both of them. Hoseok forgot it was Tuesday and Taehyung isn't in any state of thinking with his clear mind so Hoseok put him behind the register where he could just stand there and do nothing.

 

Yoongi enters, his hair strangely sticking out in every direction and gigantic glasses on his nose. He makes his usual way through the store and pays. Hoseok looks at him from over a shelf at the back of the store.

 

He feels like a stalker. Of course Yoongi knows he's there: he's always here, somewhere. Hiding there after a whole day spent together (with Namjoon) working on his track is not exactly mature.

 

It's not like he has reasons to hide either. His slight crush on the other won't suddenly go out of control. He doesn't have food stuck between his teeth (he checked earlier) and he knows his hair isn't that dirty yet so yeah, no reason at all.

 

"What the are you doing?" someone calls out from his left. Lost in his thoughts, Hoseok haven't noticed that Yoongi had moved his way.

 

Yoongi raises a judgemental eyebrow at him. Hoseok falls back on his heels. He coughs to cover up the embarrassment.

 

"Hi." He says with a crisped smile.

 

"yeaaah, right." Yoongi laughs. "Look, I actually have to go." He continues. "But I've been talking with Namjoon and he agreed to receive more of your texts. Or beats. Or, whatever you have to give us."

 

"What!? Really?"

 

"Yeah. Later though. We're working on a comeback for Lee Changmin so we're a little overworked right now... , I'm not supposed to talk about it before it's announced. Anyways, come over when, y'know, all this is over and we'll see if we can make something out of what you have."

 

"Oh my God, yes. I'll be there!"

 

Yoongi laughs softly at Hoseok's eagerness and leaves, sending a lazy hand wave in the wild.

 

Hoseok stares at his retreating back, actually noticing how thin the guy truly is. Himself isn't exactly fat, but Yoongi is even thinner.

 

He wonders if Yoongi fits the definition of "tiny chick" Donghyuk always gave Hoseok's previous conquests. The thought never crossed his mind that he could like someone of the same as himself. Though when he looks at Yoongi, all he sees is thin limbs and a delicate frame. It makes him want to protect him. Or hug. Or look at him until he falls asleep on the studio's couch.

 

"Close your mouth, hyung. You're drooling on your shirt." Taehyung mocks from the register.

 

Hoseok does, clapping his tongue in annoyance. Then he fires up.

 

"OMG! NAMJOON WANTS MORE OF MY STUFF, TAE, DO YOU REALISE IT MEANS HE LIKES IT OMGOMGOMG WHAT DO I DO!" He yells, panicking, pulling on his face.

 

Taehyung rolls his eyes. "Come on, hyung. Maybe it's just a pity call or something."

 

"Is that a way to encourage me, Kim Taehyung?!!" Hoseok falsely rages and traps Taehyung in a deadly headlock.

 

Taehyung survives the headlock.

 

Hoseok's ribs don't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In early autumn, the temperature slowly freshened, turning to a pleasant reddish tint the trees surrounding them.

 

Routine makes its comfortable nest in Hoseok's days. Wake up, stuff his face with whatever instant meal he can lay his hand on, hang out, work, panic every time he sees Yoongi, go on full on fanboy mode when Lee Changmin is on stage, anticipate his next venue to the studio, sleep, repeat.

 

Always the same old routine.

 

While Hoseok is totally not going forward with his life, Taehyung is.

 

He finally listened to Hoseok's advice and called Jimin.

 

"...and then we went to the skate park, just like we used to when we were in highschool." Taehyung goes on his (too much) detailed résumé of his weekend/meeting with Jimin.

 

They are having their break outside, enjoying the last hot winds of autumn before the return of the great colds.

 

"So basically you did everything the same way you did back then." Hoseok summarizes.

 

"YAH! Not exactly everything, hyung! We can drink now!" Taehyung scoffs.

 

"Don't tell me you got faced in the skate park like a teenager? That's low life, Tae...^^"

 

Taehyung rolls his eyes, exasperated. "I never got faced in a skate park before. I always wanted to. So we did. Catching up on some good missed time, y'know?" Taehyung explains.

 

"You could have drunk somewhere more...appropriate? Like a bar or something? C'mon Tae, there's a place for things."

 

"Bars are noisy, hyung. Anyways, we were down the third bottle of soju when we finally got to talk. Like Talk talk." Now, that's something Hoseok's truly interested in.

 

"Did you tell him that you liked him?" Hoseok casually asks.

 

"HYUNG!" Taehyung half-shouted. "That's not what I mean! I won't tell him anyways" Taehyung retorts when he sees Hoseok is about to argue.

 

Hoseok argues anyways. "What? No, Tae, you cannot not tell him!"

 

"Yes I can, and I will."

 

"But why? I mean, you basically live for the guy and you'd be okay with looking at him from afar? That's not how it works, Tae. You'll only be hurting yourself, man."

 

", hyung. Can we not talk about this right now? I'm finally tying back the bound we had and I don't want it to become any more messed up. Christ, is that too much to ask!?"

 

It is rare Taehyung ever uses any bad words: Hoseok can count on the fingers of one hand the times it happened. Every time, it was when Taehyung felt pretty concerned about the thing in question. In the present case, Hoseok decides he'd better let the matter down. He doesn't want Taehyung to be mad at him either.

 

"Ok, fine. You're right, you're right. Go on then. What did you two talk about?"

 

"Well, it started when I asked about his scholarship. Y'know, he's so talented the school offered him some kind of scholarship. He said it was good, but that it was not as cool as if I'd be hanging around. He said Jungkook was no good when homework time came. That he missed how I'd always insist the homework were cleaned out before we hung out somewhere doing nothing. It saved his back then."

 

Hoseok smiles in his head (he hums to show Taehyung he is still listening). Taehyung's story sounds sickeningly sappy for his liking. Just kiss already!, he thinks.

 

"Then I asked about Jungkook." Taehyung goes on. "At first, I could see that Jimin wasn't exactly okay with talking about Jungkook since he kind of was the reason for our... break up."

 

He said 'break up', like a couple. That guy, really. Hoseok is laughing out loud in his head now. If only Taehyung could hear himself talking sometimes!

 

"Jimin finally talked. He said that he was a good guy and that we'd get along well, Jungkook and I. Apparently, we have the same questionable sense of humour."

 

"Hah! You'd better meet him soon then. The two of you would make a great pair." Hoseok laughs at the idea of two guys equally stupid. Evenings wouldn't be boring, that's for sure.

 

"I don't know, hyung. I thing I'm not ready for that just yet. Y'know, technically we already met. But, y'know, never truly talked. Starting now would be weird since I hated on him for, like, years!"

 

"Maybe you're right. But maybe not. You could be surprised, Tae." Hoseok concludes, patting Taehyung's back. "Now, let's go back inside. Lee Changmin's song is about to be played on the radio."

 

"You don't know that, hyung!" Taehyung counters.

 

"I have a sixth sense. Believe me, Tae." And Hoseok gets inside with a wink. He doesn't know if Taehyung is talking about meeting Jungkook or Lee Changmin's song on the radio. In both matters, Hoseok is sure to have a sixth sense anyways.

 

Eventually, Lee Changmin's song is effectively played on the radio. Taehyung looks at him with such a face; Hoseok can't help but laugh his out.

 

Then he is caught in his thoughts when he remembers that Yoongi said that he was working on that album. Then he remembers Yoongi in his studio and he is distracted for the rest of the night. He should really do something about that stupid crush of his. Maybe ask him out or something. Maybe it's too soon though.

 

With a sigh, Hoseok rolls on his side in his bed. Sleep will come, eventually.

 

When he'll find the perfect setup to get Yoongi to eat somewhere with him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Lee Changmin's comeback finally ends, Hoseok is on verge of losing it.

 

First because he thinks of Yoongi, his thin fingers and perfect little mouth every time he hears the song on the radio. His mind would wander and he'd panic because;

 

Second: he still doesn't know how to get the handsome producer to eat with him.

 

So when time comes for him to go back to the BigHit studios, he feels like he is diving head first in a puddle full of piranhas. It's no such thing though. His folder under one arm, he goes straight for the elevators on the left then reach the working studio. On his way up, Hoseok finally realises that the company owns only one floor of the building, which considerably reduces the stress induced by his anticipation (read: intimidation. Hoseok is easily starstruck)

 

The first person he sees is Namjoon. He's standing beside Yoongi's console, pointing out to the latter some part of the numeric track playing in Yoongi's earphones. Hoseok deoesn't knock just yet. For a few seconds, he watches Yoongi focused on what Namjoon is trying to make him hear. His brows are furrowed in concentration and Hoseok thinks it was the most adorable thing ever.

 

When the two producers seem to be done with their hearing thing, Hoseok clears his throat and lightly knock on the door to announce himself. Namjoon is first to invite him in.

 

"Oh, Hoseok! Glad you could make it. Come in."

 

"Thank you Namjoon. How are you, guys?" Hoseok tries to act casual, but he just wants to sit there and stare at Yoongi.

 

"Well, we've been pretty busy, as you could see." Luckily for him, Namjoon is there to entertain the conversation. "So, Yoongi said you have new material. Let's see that." Straight to the point: Hoseok likes it.

 

Hoseok hands over his folder to Nanjoon, the one that contains all his texts, even the ty ones because, we never know. Namjoon takes it and is surprised by the weight of it. He saw many amateurs handing over such folders, but they usually contained three of four sheets of paper. Hoseok's is full.

 

"Looks like Yoongi insisting to see more of your work will be worth it after all." Namjoon casually jokes. Yoongi groans and send a murderous glance towards his colleague. Hoseok is surprised. He looks at Yoongi with an interrogative expression, but the latter won't quite meet his eyes.

 

"So, what did you bring us today?" Namjoon says with a kind of pretentious expression. It isn't exactly pretentious, but he takes the matter of being in charge very seriously so...

 

Namjoon's words are obviously a real question. A bit disorientated with the thing about Yoongi's insistence, Hoseok delays his answer with a few seconds. "Ahem, yeah so these are my texts. I write them since forever. I brought everything I have, even the ty ones. I thought... maybe..."

 

But they aren't so much listening to him as reading the lyrics in question. Both producers are focused and Hoseok finds himself rather proud since they aren't making horrible faces.

 

These are the longest minutes of Hoseok's life. He feels like they are stripping his soul bare, reading the depth of it because all Hoseok has ever done is to spit his emotions, experiences and thoughts on lined sheets of paper.

 

"Y'know, we've been searching for words like these for a long time, Hoseok," is Namjoon's first reaction to the first four or five sheets he put his hand on. "It's modern, young, powerful. It talks. Poetic, but still accessible." He goes on, still reading.

 

And Hoseok is the happiest man on Earth. He expected a more or less politely smooth rejection. Now Nomjoon is praising him. And Yoongi... Yoongi haven't stopped reading, like someone caught in a very captivating novel. Hoseok's pride goes crazy and he uses all his will not to dance around in sheer happiness.

 

"There's something to be done with this material. We could blend some texts together or play on the rhythms of your lines. I saw some that could become interesting. What'd you say, Yoongi?"

 

On cue, Yoongi's eyes finally leave the page as he looks at Namjoon. His eyes are wide, like someone winding out, someone that was surprised but is now controlling his heartbeat. It's a face Hoseok never saw on him and he loves it.

 

Yoongi doesn't talk, but his eyes do. He's looking at Namjoon like he's imploring and Namjoon's staring back at him like a father who tries to understand what his not-yet-talking kid wants. But he does understand and Hoseok sees the most impressive example of silent communication he will ever have the chance to see.

 

"Are you serious about this, Hoseok?" Namjoon asks.

 

"I am." Hoseok answers in a heartbeat. It is the most honest he can ever be because it is his lifetime dream and he is ready to do anything if it means he can have a chance. Just the fact of being here is already more that he expected in the first place.

 

"Good." Namjoon concludes and he invites him to get out of the room with him with a businesslike hand gesture.

 

He leads Hoseok to a small meeting room and close the door behind them.

 

"Now," Namjoon starts. "Let's talk business. I won't lie: we can't exactly offer you a full time job here." Yep, straight to the point. "I won't lie either when I'll say that we need texts like yours."

 

"I'm not sure I'm following..."

 

"What I'm about to tell you is strictly confidential, understood?" Namjoon says in the tone of confidence. Hoseok just nods because he don't understand what is going on. "See, BigHit is planning to debut a new boys group. Boy group as in K-pop, rap, dances, stage outfits and whatever the hell they plan to make them suffer. But, before that group can even debut, the Head asked for sample of beats and lyrics. Something new, that sounds nothing like SM or JYP. It has to be catching, talking to a rather young public. That's where you would play a major role, Hoseok. See, I would write the texts myself but Yoongi (and the bosses) won't stop complaining my lyrics sound like an old man. And Yoongi's no good with lyrics, too agressive, (A/N: BULL! I LOVE HIS SONGS, HIS TEXTS. I LOVE YOONGI.) so we need someone else. You, for instance."

 

Hoseok's chin is (metaphorically) on the floor.

 

"Don't you, like, have an army of lyricists working for you? I mean, it's BigHit...?"

 

Namjoon laughs.

 

"It doesn't work like that. Not exactly. Lyricists are not bound to only one company. And, let's be honest here, what BigHit produces is rather mature content, as in 'parent-like' mature. We want fresh blood, meaning artists but also producers."

 

"Okay so you want my texts but you can't offer a stable job, did I get it right?"

 

"Yes."

 

"So you want me to sell you my texts?"

 

"Yes."

 

"But I'll have to work on them so they can fit the concept you guys want, meaning it'll take time. And there are going to be killer deadlines. And I won't be able to get a good night of sleep because I'll be working my brains out?"

 

"Yes and Yes."

 

"But I'll still get copyrights?"

 

"Most probably."

 

"And do I get to choose my price? I mean, If I work hard on those, it better be worth it..."

 

"I can't tell, you'll have to deal with the boss for money matters. I'm just a producer here. It's not an excluded option though."

 

"Okay..." Hoseok concludes on a pensive tone. "Do I get some days to think it through?"

 

"Of course."

 

On that, they shake hands and Namjoon leads them back to the recording studio where Yoongi is working on his console, his earphones back on and focused as ever.

 

"Hoseok will seriously consider our offer" Namjoon announces as soon as they enter the room.

 

"I'm sure he'll take the right decision" Yoongi counters, eyes still on the screen. Something lies in his tone, but Hoseok doesn't want to see more than there truly is.

 

What happens after that is a little blurry in Hoseok's head for it all go so quickly. He remembers having meetings with the Boss, talking about his texts and how they'll fit the concept they are working on achieving.

 

Then he went back to the rest stop and told everything to Taehyung who, for once, was not ironic about that subject and pushed him to accept the offer since he always dreamt of it.

 

Then Hoseok was back to the BigHit office and accepting the terms and conditions and whatever paperwork there was.

 

So, it's now almost suppertime and Hoseok is trying to make something worth working on with his lyrics. Yoongi is still behind his console, drinking his late afternoon tea and munching on jelly snacks

 

Hoseok's stomach growls.

 

"Dammit I'm so hungry." He wails. Then, he finally has a glimpse at the hour. "Is it already that late!? Aren't you going home or something?" Hoseok asks Yoongi.

 

"You can go. It's long past the end of the regular day anyways." Yoongi replies nonchalantly.

 

"Sometimes, I wonder if you sleep here. Or if you even sleep, for that matter."

 

Yoongi scoffed. "I do sleep... sometimes." He grumbles.

 

"What? I'm not sure I understand..." Hoseok scratches his head. "Anyways. Save what you're doing, we're getting out eating since Namjoon's already gone and thus can't feed you." Hoseok says like they were long-life friends (and/or dating.)

 

"What? Are you trying to get me on a dinner date on something" Yoongi rolls his eyes. This proposition is so out of nowhere even Yoongi isn't believing it.

 

"Of course not." Hoseok protests too quickly to be credible. Hoseok does in fact want to invite Yoongi on a dinner date.

 

"Are you sure? Because my answer will depend on the answer you will give me, you know?" Yoongi raises an eyebrow.

 

"Okay, yes. I am trying to take you out for dinner. But it's only since it's because of you I'm getting somewhere with my lyrics. Is it working?" Hoseok asks sheepishly.

 

"Yes."

 

At that moment, Yoongi's face is undecipherable, but Hoseok was never able to read his face before either.

 

He decides things are going the right way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"...and I swear he didn't stop looking straight into my eyes the whole time. I could barely keep up with all this staring. Tae, this guy is perfect."

 

Back to the rest stop after his dinner-date with Yoongi, Hoseok is ecstatic.

 

"Why don't you just kiss him already?" Taehyung lazily replies from behind the register. Since he started hanging up with Jimin, he's much more carefree than he was.

 

"It's not that simple!" Hoseok sighs. "He can destroy me if I move too quickly, y'konw. That would mean no more lyrics writing, no more studio time and more importantly: not seeing him anymore. That's not what we want, Tae."

 

"Pff. Don't include me in this weird setup, hyung."

 

"Oh but you are, dear Taehyungie. Imagine how awkward it would be if I made a move and then got rejected. He'd still come here, meaning things would be at their weirdest. And since you work here, well, you'd be awkward too."

 

"Whatever."

 

Honestly, Hoseok can admit without any hesitation that the dinner he had with Yoongi went pretty smoothly. They decided on a quiet BBQ restaurant and stuffed their faces with Korean beef.

 

It was the first time they were alone outside their respective job and Hoseok was afraid he would mess this up because that's what he usually does. He talks too much, or not enough and it becomes awkward. Or he becomes too eager to please the other party and accidentally knock off the date's drink. On the Date. Yeah, things like that.

 

Yoongi, it seems, understood it straight away and forbid Hoseok to even touch the pincers or scissors. He cooked the meat himself, entertaining a casual conversation about random things in life. Hoseok only had to hop in the train and follow his flow.

 

Hoseok doesn't want to go and imagine things. But if he didn't know better, he'd say Yoongi was flirting.

 

It drives him crazy.

 

Is he supposed to be bold and get touchy-feely? Or just do nothing and enjoy. Hoseok's exes were very clear in their intentions since they were girls and girls are easy to read, but Yoongi...

 

How the heck is he even having all these emotions towards Yoongi anyways!?

 

Maybe it's because of his fingers. Long and slim, but not too much. Nails cut too short, making the tip bouncy and soft, yet scratchy (Hoseok guesses that's how they feel from the look of it since he had not actually touched the tip of Yoongi's fingers. Which he would do soon. With his tongue. Or not. Or definitely, yes.)

 

Maybe it's because of his oh-so-rare smile. Not the smirk or the hidden smile. No, the true, full-mouth smile of his. The one where Hoseok can see the last teeth in his mouth and how his upper front teeth come just a little before his lower front ones.

 

Maybe it's because of his eyes that disappear when he does smile that unique smile of his. His eyes traced with lines so soft, but that could become so hard when something bugged him. These eyes that are so talkative that he can make himself clear with only one look.

 

Maybe Hoseok is just in so deep that there's no way back this dark road of music producing and late-night barbecue.

 

"Hyung!" Hoseok almost doesn't hear Taehyung calling for him from the register. "Someone's asking for you."

 

"Commin' right up!" He shouts back from the backstore.

 

When he comes out, he's greeted by Yoongi and, surprisingly enough, by Namjoon who looks like he was asleep 2 minutes ago and was forced out of his slumber against his will.

 

"Hey guys. Why are you both here?" Hoseok asks because he's surprised and he says stupid things when he's surprised.

 

"I can leave right now if you want." Namjoon objects. "I think I hear my bed calling me... Yep, definitely is my bed." He concludes after the lamest pause ever.

 

"No! Don't be mad. It's just that Yoongi's usually alone. I was surprised, that's all."

 

"Just say you want me gone, brat." Namjoon jokes and he leaves the scene to screen the alleys around.

 

"We're heading for an important meeting early tomorrow morning." Yoongi explains quietly."Also, the Boss asked us to rush your lyrics a little. They want samples real soon so... yeah. I need them for yeaterday."

 

Hoseok doesn't know if he should laugh or cry in front of Yoongi's seriousness, but he guesses he should deal with it either way.

 

"'Yesterday'?"

 

"Two days-ish from now. Max."

 

"Ow . So soon. I'd better go on then. I'm progressing  smoothly but two days is... well, a bit short notice." Hoseok pensively scratches his head.

 

"I know you can do this, Hoseok." Yoongi cheers on a serious tone and Hoseok knows he can do this because Yoongi said so.

 

When Namjoon and Yoongi finally leave, Hoseok accompany them outside.

 

"You know, if this debut works out you won't be able to work here at the same time anymore." Namjoon says, looking out to the poor exterior appearance of the rest stop.

 

"It will work out, Namjoon. It'll be a shame to leave Taehyung alone here though."

 

"He looks like a big boy. He'll survive." Yoongi cuts the casual rambling short. "Namjoon, we have to go now or else we'll be late. See you soon, Hoseok." He leaves with a light pat on Hoseok's back that sends him thousand of galaxies away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The group's debut effectively turns out to be a considerable success.

 

The BombProof BoyCrew are killer on stage and the song is even more powerful when they perform it than in the studio. Plus, the boys are adorable dorks. Fans like them on the spot.

 

It's now the end of the promotion and Hoseok has to make the painful move of quitting his job at the rest stop. For at time, his internal clock is all messed up and he gets grumpy. But tonight, he won't let himself be a pain in the .

 

They assemble a nearby restaurant, him, Namjoon, Yoongi, the Boss, the members of BombProof BoyCrew and their manager. Hoseok also invited Taehyung since he was such a mental support during time of need and the latter ended up bringing Jimin and Jungkook with him. (Most apparently as a mental support for being in the same room as his dreaded BBQ-Peanuts Guy.) Apparently he is getting along with Jungkook. (Hoseok now understands why Taehyung is head over heels for the Jimin: he's a real angel.)

 

So, the bunch of them are eating BBQ and celebrating the success of their debut single album. Some of the boys even thank Hoseok for his awesome words. Hoseok modestly thanks them back and mentally pray that they don't have the idea of writing their own lyrics because he'd lose his job right away.

 

They're celebrating in that tiny restaurant. Hoseok is drinking with Namjoon and his boss and soon, the alcohol runs in his veins. He didn't mean to drink that much. Correction: he didn't drink that much. He's just a lightweight and alcohol never did him any good.

 

Jimin and Jungkook are dancing along the beat on someone's phone with the members of BombProof BoyCrew. True to their reputation, they are good dancers and Hoseok has a good time joining them when they finally blasted His song.

 

"I didn't know you could dance." Yoongi compliments when he sits back at his place, cheeks red from both alcohol and dancing.

 

"I'm full of surprises." Hoseok winks at Yoongi. Yep, he winks. Tipsy Hoseok is shameless. Maybe it's all he needs to finally make his move. (It's not a good idea though...)

 

Yoongi just laughs at him, shaking his head.

 

The rest of the evening is as festive as when it started. Eventually, Taehyung, Jimin and Jungook leave the restaurant since they have places to be in the morning. Which leaves Hoseoks helplessly tipsy with his workmates and his boss. Bad idea, and he knows it.

 

"Yoongi." He calls out. Then calls again when the latter doesn't pay attention to him. "Yoongi-ah! I'm tipsyyy. I think I better head home, would you take me? Not that I'm intending anything, no! I'd never! Just, I can't do this by myself! Imagine I get lost and end up in some weird neighbourhood!"

 

Yoongi sighs but still can't hide his amusement. He steps on his feet, pulling Hoseok with him in the process.

 

As they wait outside for a taxi, Hoseok hums to himself. Yoongi's looking straight at him again.

 

"Why are you looking at me like this?" tipsy Hoseok is also blunt.

 

"Because you're cute." Yoongi answers honestly. He sounds like he's hiding something, but Hoseok's too far gone to notice it.

 

"Eheyyy, that's my line, Hyung." Hoseoks complains and punches Yoongi's shoulder. Yoongi pulls a face. One that could mean 'oh please stop it, you're embarrassing me.'

 

When Hoseok is in his pyjamas, in his bed, in his apartment, Yoongi finally leaves him alone. "I'll see you soon, Hoseok." He says as he's about to leave.

 

"Call me Hope!" Hoseok shouts behind him. "That's how I'll be known from now on. I'm your hope, Yoongi! Don't forget it!" Which makes no sense, but Hoseok is drunk and he's tired and Yoongi is handsome and leaving him alone and there's nothing else he can do except trying to pull a reaction out of his pretty face.

 

"Yeah, I HOPE you sleep well, Hoseok. See you soon."

 

When he wakes up the next morning, Hoseok finds aspirin and water on his bedside table. He hopes Yoongi went home safely and that he didn't say too much embarrassing things the previous night.

 

He'll go back to the mountains if he did.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When he thinks about it, Hoseok realises that Yoongi left him plenty of subtle leads.

 

He's the one who insisted for Namjoon to take interest in Hoseok.

 

He's the one who cooked his meal like a mother would do.

 

He's the one who had that quiet manner of cheering him up when he was depressed.

 

But more importantly: he's the one who left him breathless when he kissed him under the bridge late at night when they were supposed to be elsewhere.

 

After the debut celebration, Hoseok couldn't help but feel shameful about his drunken behaviour towards Yoongi. He wasn't professional at all and he made everything in his ability to make it up to Yoongi. He'd bring him his tea and coffee, bring snacks, get the food, and transmit his messages.

 

But Yoongi never seemed to make big case of it, like it was totally normal to take a new colleague home at the first night out. It's supposed to be the other way around, Elder's Law!

 

But Yoongi doesn't care about things like these. He's so into his music that the rest of the world doesn't exist most of the time. That's where Hoseok likes him the most, partly because he can stare at him all he wants and partly because his full dedication to his task should portray the dictionary definition of loyalty and patience.

 

It's been a month since and Hoseok still haven't got his feeling in check. This whole story is getting out of hands: his Words are starting to portray Yoongi in subtle, unconscious ways. 'light fingertip touch' and 'soft eyelash dance' start coming out a little too naturally to be healthy and that's when he understands it that Hoseok decides to finally make a move.

 

Taehyung had been bugging him for weeks now. Maybe his persistence will pay off in the end.

 

There's this official event they're supposed to attend downtown. It turns out that Yoongi lives at the other side of Hoseok's neighbourhood, conveniently on his way to said downtown event. It was decided that Hoseok would pick Yoongi up and that they'd walk the way to the venue since the distance rendered worthless the need of a car.

 

Dressed up and hair done, Hoseok confidently rings to bell to Yoongi's apartment. The sky is greyer than he'd like it to be, but the temperature is pleasant for a walk through the city. Before he left, Hoseok looked up the itinerary since it was the first time he headed to that building. He had it all planned.

 

When Yoongi finally lets him in, Hoseok feels his breath catch in his throat. Yoongi, who's always ready is apparently not. The door opens on him trying to tie his bow tie, shirt not yet pulled in his pants.

 

The last rays of the sun reflects in the copper dye of his hair and in the hazelnut of his iris. Hoseok wants to kiss him on the spot. Instead, he fake-coughs.

 

"Hi!"

 

"Sorry, I'm late. Come in for a sec." Yoongi announces, a little out of breath. "I'll need only two minutes. Make yourself comfortable." He goes on as he runs to what seems to be his bathroom.

 

Hoseok wanders around the living room and is surprised by the cosiness of it. Yoongi has a nice place. Why he's always at BigHit is a great mystery in Hoseok's eyes.

 

On their way to the event, Yoongi mentally prepares Hoseok to the night awaiting him. "So there will be a whole lot of wealthy people, investors, mostly, hence the dress code." He makes a significant move pointing their outfits. "They'll ask you how things go and if you think they can make even more money, but not in these words. You'll understand after you meet them."

 

And he goes on for a while. Walking side by side, they stroll on the sidewalk towards the heart of the city. Hoseok confidently follows the way he thinks is the right one, but then the thunder rolls far in the background and it seems to snap Yoongi out of his monologue because he asks:

 

"Hoseok, where the are we?!"

 

Apparently, Yoongi has a very bad orientation sense and Hoseok can't remember itineraries for .

 

Hoseok takes his phone out and search for their address once again, only to realise that he took a wrong turn, leading him and Yoongi near one bridge crossing Han River (A/N: Cuz there are like 20 XD), in the opposite direction.

 

", we turned the wrong way at that red-light." Hoseok explains, showing Yoongi the GPS on his phone.

 

They hear the thunder once again, this time a little closer, then feel raindrops fall on their faces. Yoongi groans, incredulous. "Seriously..!"

 

The nearest roof-like protection within their reach is the bridge, which obviously they reach by running. Breath short, Yoongi swears once again. And one last time, for the fun of it.

 

"" Goddammit! We were late and now we'll just never arrive." He says and ruffles the back of his styled hair.

 

Rain is now pouring down. Yoongi sits on the grass under the bridge and pats the spot beside him so Hoseok will do the same.

 

"Let's talk then, since it seems we'll be trapped here for a while."

 

Obviously, this one sentence can't be more awkward for Hoseok since the only thing he wants is to listen to Yoongi speak for the rest of his life. To picture how his thin lips can produce such delicate sounds and maybe, maybe if he's lucky, taste the mechanics of it.

 

But he isn't so lucky and what Yoongi said required him to actually speak. Yoongi unknowingly saves Hoseok's lame self when he asks the first question himself.

 

"So... How are you adjusting to the life as a lyricist?"

 

It was a simple question, yet Hoseok doesn't quite know how to answer it.

 

"I...eh...Hmm. Good." He stutters. Yoongi laughs. Hoseok's stomach slow dances with his guts.

 

"It must not be that bad if you can't even answer that simple question!" Yoongi teases through his giggles.

 

"Hey! Don't laugh! It's just so different that I don't know where to start."

 

"Is that so..?" Yoongi's tone is fake-pensive and it pushes Hoseok to justify himself.

 

"Yeah. I get to know you better, for instance."

 

"With all the options you had, you till went for this one. C'mon, Hoseok, you're not that sappy." Yoongi teases, but it's not his usual teasing tone. It's almost like he's shy.

 

"I'm serious, Yoongi." And Hoseok is.

 

As cliché as it sounds, something happens at that moment. None of them are speaking. Rain crash in front of them, strongly enough to bounce and splash on their pants. Its noise is regular, quick paced, just like the beating of Hoseok's heart in his throat.

 

Hoseok never noticed how dark Yoongi's eyes truly are. They're like endless pits made for Hoseok to dive and dive so deep he'll never see the sunlight again.

 

"I was fascinated by you since Taehyung first made me aware of your existence." Hoseok's voice is not louder that a whisper, but he knows Yoongi can hear him. He knows because he won't stop biting the inside of his lower lip and his eyes won't let go of Hoseok's.

 

"By the summer after you started talking to me, I insisted on attending the out-of-town meetings when I didn't have to just so I could hear your lame jokes." Yoongi finally confesses, whispering back.

 

Hoseok might be an awkward gangly young man, but he's not dumb to the point of not getting the message. He should kiss him. He wants to kiss him. He WILL kiss him. And he's about to, but...

 

Yoongi beats him to it. Hoseok sees Yoongi lean in and close his eyes halfway. Hoseok notices the curve of his cheekbones, how they underline his eyes with the softest curve. How his eyelashes brush over them at the corner.

 

But it happens before he can even make a move. Yoongi's lips are over his. Sinfully delicate for a man, yet so smooth. Hoseok feels his arms turn into goo. He doesn't control anything at the moment, but it's okay because Yoongi's kissing him, he's kissing Yoongi and the World may burn around them and nothing will stop Hoseok from Kissing Yoongi before he runs out of saliva.

 

Yoongi's right hand is on his nape, playing with the not-so-short-anymore hair. His own hand slowly runs up Yoongi's thigh.

 

All of this is so slow that Hoseok feels like he may age 5 year before the end of this kiss.

 

He wouldn't mind.

 

But at the same time, it is all much too short for Hoseok's liking.

 

Like Cinderella, all good things have a curfew.

 

The sparks running through Hoseok's body are halted by the sound of a phone ringing.

 

Breathless, Yoongi curses under his breath as he nervously fishes his phone from his dress pants pockets.

 

Obviously, it's Namjoon. Who else, really.

 

"Where the are you two!? The CEO has already made his speech!" He can hear Namjoon curse through Yoongi's phone, sign that he's very not pleased.

 

"Hoseok lost us" Yoongi starts explaining and Hoseok sends him a menacing glare. "Then it started raining and we hid under a bridge and there we are, trapped under bridges like homeless souls in despair."

 

And as Yoongi argues with Namjoon over the phone (as usual), Hoseok realises that maybe he isn't the only one wanting this. Whatever "this" may be happening between them. Yoongi is mindlessly playing with his fingers and Hoseok finds out that he doesn't care one bit.

 

((They finally made it to the event. They had to pay for every consummation Namjoon had that night and then bring him back home because he sure did enjoy the 'free drinks' thingy.

 

That night, Hoseok slept on Yoongi's couch.))

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A year ago, if you told Hoseok he would end up writing songs for the BombProof BoyCrew, he would have laughed at your face and said that it was amazing to have dreams.

 

This morning, as he wakes up with his feet tangled with Yoongi's, he blesses the four seasons he spent in the mountains for what he has become. Because without working before the morning sun for a year or so, he wouldn't have met the man with whom he sees the sun rise every morning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue

 

"HYUUUNG!!!"

 

Of course it would be Taehyung calling him at 1 am on a Friday night (Saturday morning?) in the middle of freaking winter.

 

"Taehyung, what the ?" Hoseok groans on the phone. He was asleep in the best of positions with Yoongi spooning him from behind. What the heck does he want at this hour?

 

"I kissed him, Hyung. I kissed Jimin!" Taehyung is panicking on the other side of the phone and that news finally awoke Hoseok completely.

 

"Seriously? So? Details! Shoot!" Supporting Taehyung in his baby-steps towards the love of his life turns Hoseok to the biggest fangirl. He ends up waking Yoongi up too with all his moving on his side of the bed. Yoongi might be a heavy sleeper, Hoseok discovered, but sleeping through an earthquake is basically impossible. Hoseok puts Taehyung on speaker so Yoongi can hear him too.

 

"So we were hanging out with Jungkook earlier and, yeah. We were having fun and such. We drank a little and of course when you drink you have to pee, so Jungkook drank and had to pee so I was alone with Jimin. Then he said : 'I'm happy that you get along with Jungkook.' And then I said : 'I missed you.' Then he said : 'I missed you too.' And then I said: 'I think I like you.' And then he said : 'It's time you realise it.' And then I said: '.' And then he said: 'Jackass.' And hyuuunnggggg!! He was so handsome with his sassy face I just acted on the spur of the moment and kissed him. I think I almost split his lip because it kindda tasted like blood. But all in all it went well because he was laughing under me and I was kindda kissing his teeth but it doesn't matter because he was kissing me back and... yeah. So we kissed. I think we're boyfriends now? I'm not quite sure. I didn't ask." Taehyung concludes sheepishly.

 

"See, I told you, Tae! I'm so proud! My baby boy's growing up so fast!" Hoseok says on a fake teary tone.

 

"Congrats, man." Yoongi compliments, still not fully awake.

 

"God, hyung. I'm still not used to you begin an item with BBQ-Peanuts guy, y'know. I'd like to spend some time with you so I can get over it one day. Kay, I have to go! See you, hyung!!"

 

And as imporomptu as his phone call first was, he hangs up without giving Hoseok time to answer anything.

 

He puts down his phone beside him and lies back down. Yoongi is looking at him with a confused look on his face.

 

"BBQ-Peanuts Guy? Is that supposed to be me?" he asks, puzzled.

 

"Yeah." Hoseok yawns.

 

"How...?"

 

"It's a long story." Hoseok says, eyes closed.

 

"Oh but I have all the time in the world." Yoongi purrs, curling up around Hoseok's lean frame.

 

Hoseok then starts telling him the story of how more than a year and a half ago he started working the night shift at the rest stop lost in the middle of the mountains...

 

 

 

 

 

 


Okay so this is what happens when you start something without knowing where you're going. Don't do that. It's painful. Seriously. And it goes all over the place and it's not that good. So yeah, Don't.

 

Also, it all seems too perfect, like everything's going too well. Idealistic. I know, I'm aware, but I didn't have the heart to introduce some /drama into this. It's already long enough. Just enjoy how Hoseok fanboys over Yoongi and everything will be fine :)

 

I started this over a year ago and I'm only finishing it now. God, it's finally over. *tears of happiness* Correcting it takes so much time that I'm not sure It's done correctly. (I'll need a beta reader??? Anyone?)

 

I hope the concept is not too cliché :) It's sappy af, but we love fluffy yoonseok, don't we? :)