February 2011

Of Photobooks and Novels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heechul went out of his room to check himself in the full-body mirror. He was folding up his long-sleeved sweater vest when he smelled something cooking in the kitchen, "Hey what's that?" He asked the other person living on the apartment.

"It's penne pasta"

Heechul walked towards the voice. "Hmmm... Is that author coming over here again?"

"It's thursday, it's movie night" Yesung answered without looking up at his best-friend, busy with what he was doing.

"You make it sound like it's the most normal thing in the world"

"What do you mean?"

Heechul for a moment thought about having to air his thoughts to the other, and that's rare, because to talk bluntly about what he has in mind is basically his thing. But he felt that it was the right time to have this talk with his best friend — this questionable arrangement or relationship or whatever it's called between Yesung and the author Kyuhyun, who was a staple customer in the cafe they are working at.

"Ok. This is the first time I'm saying something about this... This whole whatever you have going on with that guy, ok?" Yesung now looked at him, eyes with confusion and innocence. "You and this Kyuhyun has all the things a couple does, but then you aren't officially together... Does it not bother you?", he asked simply, hoping the other would be able to understand him just as easily.

"What are you talking about... We're just close friends, just like us, you know"

But of course, Yesung was playing dumb. Or maybe his best friend is dumb, he won't take that out of the equation. He rolled his eyes and continued, "Nope, not like us. Not at all. We are bestfriends, brothers even, and we never had that flirting thing ever for like even a minute in our whole lives ---"

"Because that would kinda feel ous! Yeah? Haha" Yesung shrugged off what Heechul was telling him. "Here come taste it" he said after he blew over a spoonful of pasta sauce he was holding so that it would be less hot. 

Heechul took a taste, then nodded. "More salt."

Yesung put on a bit of salt and mixed the pan of sauce again. "I'm being serious here, Yesung. I know that you know what I'm talking about." Heechul was still there looking at him, hands crossed against his chest, looking carefully at his bestfriend trying to check all the facial expressions and gestures he gives off.

"..."

"I can see that you like that guy" Heechul pushed the topic more.

"I wouldn't be hanging out with him if I didn't Heenim".

Damn it. So evasive! But Heechul is never the type to back down. "Yes but not just in a friendly way though... I just... Ok, I just don't want you to realize one day that you've fallen in love with this guy and ---"

"What if I already did?"

Oh . "Seriously?" He asked with his eyes just a bit widened. He is seldom surprised, but this one truly did. But the other chose to answer back in an unconcerned-manner.

"I don't know."

"That's what I'm saying, you see? You are too close to each other and you're doing all these couple things... but your relationship is unlabelled"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Think about how you feel about that guy, and confess I guess. If you really like him. Just so you'd know where he is in all this too".

The other stopped whatever he was doing and appeared to be in a deep thought, then said, "I think he's straight."

"Oh that! Flirting with you since day one? Always hanging out the cafe when you're there? Straight my !"

Yesung laughed. "Those you've mentioned aren't really proof of being gay, you know that right?" He turned off the stove and took the sauce pan in the table and closed it with a lid.

Heechul just followed him and decided to continue bugging him. "But you do like him, yes? So just confess your feelings. Who cares if he isn't gay?"

"I care! What if I confess and he gets... Disgusted at me... And would... Want to cut me off as his friend?"

Huh. I didn't see that coming. Yesung must have already thought about this and decided to just go with the flow. "So... You'd rather be his close friend" Heechul voiced out, using air quotes as he said the word 'close friend' for emphasis. "...rather than taking a chance to see if he likes you back?"

"I dunno... Probably... Ughhh... I don't want to think about it. Aren't you going already? Momo must be waiting for you, what time is it? Your date is on 2PM right?"

"Whatever. She'll wait for me anyway"

Yesung shoved him bothered of what he just said. "Yah! Don't do that to her, what's wrong with you?"

"What about you what's wrong with you it's like you want me out of the house quickly. Is Kyuhyun coming over now? You couldn't wait until tonight?!"

"He doesn't have classes today so he'll be early" Yesung said as he was cleaning up the living room area. Heechul not missing the redness of his bestfriend's face.

"Ughh... Look at you. Fine you know what, I won't come back tonight."

"Where are you staying?"

"At Momo's. Kyuhyun can stay over here. Hopefully you guys can ---"

"Yah! What the hell are you talking about, we'll just be watching movies"

"Sure sure, prude. I'm going now... And oh, tell him to finish the sequel of his novel instead of hanging around so much with you! His readers are waiting for it, damn it". Heechul said as he went to the door. He was a fan of that boy's work. Kyuhyun is indeed talented. But he cannot put himself to like him at all. His guts tells him so. All he sees is someone who is capable of hurting his best friend.

 

• • •

They were supposed to watch the Lord Of The Rings trilogy together. As the sequel started however, Kyuhyun lied down the couch with his head on Yesung's lap. It wasn't until half-way the film when the latter realized that he was the only one remaining watching it. He should be pushing him away to wake him up, but Yesung found himself staring at the side-profile of the guy in his lap. All that Heechul mentioned earlier that day went coming back to his mind.

He thought of the possibility of confessing to the other, but he was too scared. What if he stops being my friend instead? What if he'd want me out of his life? But a part of him actually thinks that maybe, just maybe, the reason that Kyuhyun is with him almost everyday since they met was that he likes him back. But why doesn't he confess to me then, if that is indeed the case? No. He probably is just close to me just like he is to Donghae... and just like I am to Heechul.

Another reason for not wanting to go through whatever Heechul had in mind was that he was already too comfortable with they have now. Sure, it's just friendship. But Heechul was right, they did things that maybe mere friends don't really do. Like this thursday-movie nights they always had. Why was Kyuhyun doing it with me?

Yesung's friends know how much of a movie-buff he is. He watches any types of films in different genres. He even watches those made in foreign countries. It's his form of travel, in a way. It teaches him about anything and everything about life, eventhough it is primarily fiction. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, loves to read. He gave a copy of his first novel to Yesung but the latter just apologized and told him that he has never finished any fiction book in his life. Call him lazy, but he prefers to watch films over reading. Kyuhyun eventually let that go and just joined him in his weekly movie-time. Sometimes, they'll watch in a moviehouse the latest one showing together with Donghae and Dara or Heechul and his girlfriend. Most of the times it's just the two of them. There are also times when they just watch DVDs in Yesung's apartmen, just like today. Kyuhyun said that his class was cancelled so he came by earlier. That was why Yesung decided to play a trilogy and not just one movie

Why is Kyuhyun with me?

It's not like Kyuhyun has no company by himself. Yesung knows that Kyuhyun dates. But what he knows is that they are not serious ones. He never brought any of his dates in the cafe. But he met one while the two of them were in line to watch a movie. Seulgi was her name. She went up to Kyuhyun and was introduced to him. Kyuhyun said that she was a junior in the University, but it was the girl who slyly asked why Kyuhyun did not call her back after their 'date'. That was a memory that Yesung never wanted to remember at all. That was the time when he realized that he sees Kyuhyun not in a mere platonic way. But of course, he doesn't let anything show that time. Sure, he was uncomfortable but he was careful not to say anything or do anything which would make his feelings downright obvious. But sometimes, his care and affection towards the younger just shows.

He had all these thoughts in his head without realizing that he was staring at Kyuhyun's face which was now in his full view and his hands were caressing Kyuhyun's soft brown hair. When his acts fully registered in his mind, he abruptly took off his hands and diverted his gaze towards the TV.

"Why did you stop?" Kyuhyun said, but his eyes are still closed.

What the ? My hands? Caressing his hair? Damn it. He wasn't asleep?! How long was I doing that?

He panicked. His heart was beating so loudly. But he decided to just let all those worries go. He pushed Kyuhyun off his lap and scolded the other for sleeping through the film. Kyuhyun was smirking and just told him that he got really bored, because he already watched it before. Yesung, unlike Kyuhyun, can watch and rewatch the same film over and over again, as long as he likes it.

"Why did you agree to watch it in the first place? I told you that you can choose a movie you wanna watch"

"Because I knew that it's your favorite..." Kyuhyun replied, while stretching his arms and back.

Yesung found that sweet. Oh here I go again. He was sure he blushed at that so he stood up and took the plates they used earlier to eat the food he cooked for both of them, and went to the kitchen to clean up.

"Let's go out?" He heard Kyuhyun's voice from the living room. Second right after, Kyuhyun was already at the kitchen too.

"Where?"

"Your choice."

"Here we go again, my choice but then you'll sleep over it."

"No! No" Kyuhyun was laughing at that. "I promise you wherever you wanna go now, let's enjoy it together", and then he gave a smile. Yesung had to look away or else he'll probably stupidly gape at the other.

 

They ended up in the nearby amusement park. Yesung knew that Kyuhyun was afraid of heights and never did rides because of his vertigo. But he wanted to get back at the other for sleeping through his favorite movie.

“I’ll just take videos of you screaming in those rides”

“Nope you’re coming with me”

“Ye... please...” Kyuhyun was near whining, and Yesung was holding back his laughter.

“Ughh Kyu... you made me decide where to go and then you bail out like this ---“

“Remember what I said?! I said that we’ll enjoy it together! How can I have fun if I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter