New Friends

Taewin/NCT Drabbles (?)

prompt: in the same High School AU with a kiss..

 

 

 

It’s had been exactly two months since Dong Si Cheng moved to Seoul, South Korea. He improved on his Korean by leaps and bounds even if he couldn’t speak as fluently as Yuta or, the kid Mark (who got double promoted in Middle School and was now in Class I in High School with Si Cheng) who was very close to the Student Council President, Lee Taeyong. After that first day, Si Cheng has not had the chance to meet Taeyong again. Much less talk to him. Si Cheng wanted to talk to him because he regretted not speaking when the senior had been asking him questions. Si Cheng, for some mysterious reason had gone mute that time replying mostly to Yuta.

He saw Yuta a lot. The Japanese student met him on his way back home, on the way to his class, during his PE classes, during lunch break. He was everywhere. Si Cheng didn’t mind it. Not necessarily. No. Yuta was a friendly, amicable person who was too tactile for Si Cheng’s liking but the Chinese kid could manage. It was only because of the Class II senior that he had more people to talk with, people who were genuine, nice and sincere in correcting his Korean and helping him improve and adjust in the new country. He met Moon Taeil, a Class III student who was Student Rep of the Discipline Committee. He met Johnny (a University student and their friend), Ten, all seniors again but, International students. While both Mark and Johnny were of Korean origin, they were of foreign nationalities and as a result, had culture shocks too from time to time. Sometimes more than Dong Si Cheng. In those moments, he felt better. Only a little bit, but, he did.

One person whom he wanted to meet again was the Student Council President. However, they rarely crossed paths and Si Cheng couldn’t think why he would have to go out of his way to greet him. Yuta, Taeil, Johnny, Ten, Mark, they were all Lee Taeyong’s friends he found out and they often mentioned him in their conversations. He was glad that Yuta always took the initiative of including him and taking him with their gang even if he didn’t wholly approve of it. Si Cheng would rather sit and do nothing than run around in Seoul after class hours. Though because of his still-learning- Korean status, he went to the After-School classes to improve on it and tried not to fall behind in his studies and worked on all the subjects in general. Plus, his parents were out on most days and he had nothing to do. He knew no one in Seoul outside his school. Where would he go? He had no intention of getting lost. The only route he knew well was the one from his school to home and back. The thirty minutes stretch of walk he indulged in twice every six days of the week.

He was standing under a very green tree near the classrooms complex. He forgot the name. Si Cheng had decided to stay back for one extra hour and then, leave. He watched as a dry leaf broke from it’s node and floated in the air, slowly and slowly drifting towards the ground.

“Si Cheng-ssi?” Si Cheng turned around to find Lee Taeyong standing, his hands in the trousers’ pockets. “Hello.” Si Cheng bowed his head slightly.

“President.”

Taeyong smiled.

“How are you adjusting with the place? Are you facing any difficulty?”

“No. Yuta-ge, I mean, Yuta hyung, as in, sunbae has been very helpful.”

“That’s good to know and am sure, Yuta doesn’t mind you calling him hyung.”

“Okay.” Taeyong smiled at him once more and turned around to leave. “President!” Taeyong stopped and looked at him. “Thank you.. thank you for reaching out to me on the first day.” Taeyong’s gaze on him was too soft. Si Cheng shuffled on his feet feeling a little unsure. He just wanted to let Taeyong know he wasn’t trying to be rude on that day.

“You have improved in your Korean.”

Si Cheng looked at him in surprise, not expecting Taeyong to comment on that.

“Not improved. I’ve just grown a little bit more confident with it.”

“That’s good. Even if you make mistakes, use it. That’s how you’ll learn.”

“Yes. Thank you.”

Taehyung laughed and Si Cheng was convinced he had met no guy before whose voice was so soft, polite and charming. Si Cheng was crazy.

“You’re most welcome.” To Si Cheng’s immense surprise, Taeyong stepped towards him and ruffled his hair. “You are a cute guy.” Si Cheng’s face immediately flushed. His cheeks felt hot.

He watched Taeyong leave first. Then, his hands were on his face. His face was hot. What was wrong with him? This was only the Student Council President.

But, he knew it was much more than that.

*

Si Cheng met Taeyong only three times between Yuta’s birthday party and that day. Two times out of those three times was on the road when Si Cheng was walking back home. The Student Council President insisted on walking him home saying his home was on the same route. Si Cheng saw no reason to deny. Taeyong would ask him general questions. The Chinese boy tried to answer him as best as was possible in his limited knowledge. He asked him back general stuffs too.

By the time he’d reached his empty house, he’d been feeling unnecessarily energetic and buzzed.

The one other time had been in the office where Si Cheng was having trouble communicating with the staff about his grievance and documents’ issue. Taeyong had stepped in the right moment and the matter was wrapped up in no time. Si Cheng offered to him an ice-cream treat as a ‘thank you’ gift which Taeyong politely declined and said ‘some other time’ when Si Cheng insisted.

During Yuta’s birthday party, they met at the bakery where Ten, the leader of the football club worked with Johnny. They had filed over to the venue just before the closing hours and ordered for their food. Si Cheng had planned on skipping it. He liked Yuta. Yuta was a really nice and friendly person but, he didn’t know most of the people in the circle and he was having trouble communicating seeing so many new faces. He was getting quieter by the seconds. It was already past closing time. He was on the Flight mode, ready to take off as opportunity would present itself when the bakery’s door was pushed open and a Lee Taeyong came in with Moon Taeil, profusely apologising for being late. Johnny got them two extra chairs to join them at the crowded booth. They had brought three large-sized pizzas with them. Because it was only them (Johnny had the keys), they could afford being a little loud and messy. Ten and Johnny assured them they would clean up after them; there was no issue.

Yuta’s birthday was celebrated with loud music, ruckus and his friends.

Of course, Si Cheng sat at one corner sulking over how Taeyong was so close to all of them. Especially, to Jaehyun (the Cooking Club leader), Ten and Mark (he still had no idea how Mark was related to any of them). Si Cheng was feeling neglected, irritated and sulky. He sat with a pouty expression on his face ignoring everybody else. He scrolled up and down his texts, wondering if his friend Kun was online. May be he could pass the time talking to him? He could have left for home but, there was no one waiting there for him anyway. Plus, Taeyong must not approve of it. If he cared.

He ate his slices of pizza, cakes, sundae, bulgogi, tteokbokki and the other odd combinations of food items Yuta;s friends hand managed to buy slowly and silently. He washed down the last bits with cola down his throat. At some point, he consumed soju which was being passed around the booth. Nobody was paying attention to him so they wouldn’t know, he figured. He mused if he were in China, in Beijing, Taeyong, to him, would have been just another bumbling fool. But, this wasn’t China. He wasn’t in his hometown. He was in Seoul and Taeyong was the first who had looked at him in concern and asked him if he was lost (which he had been literally). Not even his parents had asked him if he was doing okay.

But, their School Council President had and, hence, the fuzzy feelings.

When they were done eating, he thought they were going to leave but, Ten pitched the idea of games and Taeyong agreed and so did Yuta and Si Cheng was stuck, feeling miserable. Technically, they were paying attention to him and he didn’t even want their attention. The Student Council President had even looked at him and smiled and continued talking to Ten and Si Cheng wanted to smack the leftovers at the Thai boy. Si Cheng was feeling extremely petty. Mark plopped down into the seat next to him - as soon as some of the other friends had left. The party now consisted of Mark, Taeyong, him, Taeil, Johnny, Ten, Jaehyun and few others he couldn’t recognise. Doyong? Doyang? That kid looked like a bunny and the other person was Johnny’s friend. Si Cheng was seeing him for the first time. Hanseul? Was it? Bah.. Nevermind.

“Si Cheng ssi?”

“Mmmm..?”

“What are you glaring at?”

“Uhh..” Si Cheng quickly averted his eyes and blinked rapidly. “Hello.”

“Hello.” Mark sounded amused.

“You are Mark.”

The kid laughed. “Yes. I am Mark. The maknae of the coolest group.” Si Cheng snorted. “And, you can talk comfortably with me. I am younger to you.”

“Okay.”

“We are in the same class. Do you not remember me?”

“Am not good with new people. Excuse me.”

“Aah. It’s okay, I suppose. We are in different divisions after all.” They fell into silence. The Chinese boys watched the others with drowsy eyes. Suddenly, he spoke up. The question had been pricking at him for sometime. Why not ask when he had the chance?

“Who are you?”

“Who am I?”

“How do you..” He waved his hand in the others’ direction. “Know.. them?”

Mark giggled. He thought. He wasn’t sure. “I am Taeyong hyung’s brother.”

“Oh?” Si Cheng blinked his eyes owlishly.

*

Si Cheng woke up way past afternoon. He was tired and drained. He was not at his home. It was a stranger’s home. He got up slowly and turned over and fell face-first over somebody who huffed and kicked him.

“What the fu- Si Cheng?” It was the Hanseul guy. He groaned and rolled out from under Si Cheng and went under the bed. Si Cheng was wide awake. He took in his surroundings carefully as he sat up. On the bed, there was Mark. On the floor, there was Hanseul and two people huddled under a pile of sheets. He could see only the top of two heads, so he couldn’t tell who they were. He hurried out of the room after jumping over the heap. His feet padding on the floor, he traipsed down the wooden stairs. He came face to face with Jaehyun who was smiling at him.

“Good Afternoon, Si Cheng.” Jaehyun was awfully too cheerful right in the morning. He grumbled ‘afternoon’ in return and sat down at the dinning table. “Food is almost ready.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Is- Is everyone else awake?”

“Well, Hansol hyung, Mark, they all are asleep. I am assuming Ten and Johnny hyung are upstairs too.”

“Oh. It was them.”

Jaehyun’s eyes crinkled as he chuckled. “Yes. It’s them.”

“Are they-”, he gulped, “are they together?”

“Why, of course!”

“Oh..”

“These two are here.” Jaehyun pointed at Dyong Bunny and Yuta who were in the kitchen. “Taeyong hyung and Taeil hyung already left.” Si Cheng watched as Jaehyun tried to calm Doyong Bunny and Yuta who were suddenly bickering over the spoiled omelet. Finally, Yuta shouted ‘my house, my rules’ and stormed upstairs.

“This is Yuta-ge’s home?” He asked surprised, turning to Jaehyun.

“Where did you think you are?”

“I- I” Si Cheng tried to recall. All he could remember last was Mark telling him he was Taeyong’s dongsaeng. Dohyung Bunny suddenly burst into laughter. He sat down at the table and was banging it while Jaehyun patted his shoulder.

“I’ll bring something for your hangover.” The Class II high schooler said before he drifted back to the kitchen.

*

It was when he was in class the next day, he remembered.

They had been playing. After all the food and drinks at the party, they were playing.

Si Cheng, the lightweight, was being all clingy and found himself worming through the crowd to where Taeyong was. “You are mine. You are mine, right?” He kept on asking for reassurance even when it was for a simple thing as pairing up for a game; not aware the word he was using was used between lovers. Taeyong, always the gentleman, replied, “Yes, I am.” He wasn’t impatient at all with his pathetic drunk self and tried to constantly reassure him.

Si Cheng wanted to bang his head on the desk.

But, it wasn’t all.

He was pouting and making sad faces at the older to buy him ice-cream and holding his arm, tugging at it, begging him for them. Taeyong ended up buying him all his favourite flavours.

Si Cheng was sitting in the first row of his class, his face flaming red.

Because what stole the cherry on the top was while Taeyong who had been looking at him with concern - because he, Dong Si Cheng was irresponsible, a lightweight drunk minor - who was flushed to his neck while drunk and not being able to stand without the other’s help, Si Cheng kissed Taeyong, almost at the corner of the elder’s lips, smearing his face with purple ice frosting.