four

Tell Me (Your Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               

F O U R

 

               The morning before school starts just like any other ordinary day: Jennie and Rosé eat breakfast silently without exchanging a word and all the butlers and maids giving their respect towards the latter, pampering her. The only new thing that is different is that Jennie raises one of her eyebrows when she eyes her new car in disbelief. Her lips part as she stares as the shiny, reflecting car paint done on the car. Another thing that catches her off guard is that her father is there early in the morning to "send her off" to school.

               "Heh, you like it?" He asks her.

               Jennie is only speechless, and without giving a word, she simply nods slowly while grinning slightly. She stares intently while examining just with her eyes.

               "Well, aren't you going to take it out for a drive or are you just going to stand here all day just to admire it?" Her father laughs at her, "Come on, or else you'll be late." He extends his arm out with the car keys just dangling on his fingers.

               "Y-Yeah.." She ends up smiling, taking the car keys handed out to her, and rushes into the driver's seat. She her lips and grins slightly, starting the engine as revved fiercely right after, "See ya, pop. I guess I'll be going then." She actually smiles at him while he gives her a lopsided grin as well.

               And he says his last line before she speeds off out of his line of sight, "See you, Jen."

               Driver Choi and Rosé has been standing there, totally forgotten, as they watch the other pair interact. Rosé gives off a slight frown yet doesn't show much unsatisfaction. Choi's question snaps her out of it.

               "Shall we go now, Miss Roseanne?" He bends lower to her and asks her in front of her face while extending an arm out towards her ride. She gives him an apparent nod and follows him to the car, though she wishes that she could get a ride from Jennie someday so that being escorted by the chaffeur wouldn't attract so much attention as it already did; she didn't want people to think she flaunts off her wealth in front of them.

 

--

 

               Jennie arrives and parks her car not too far from the school. There are other students nearby with those who are getting dropped off by their parents, and others who are just arriving by walking on the sidewalk to school; their eyes suddenly fix on the new car that has just parked on the sidewalk. They await for the driver to step out of the car who, unexpectedly, is Jennie, the supposedly uncool girl of the school. They widen their eyes at the immediate sight of just seeing her.

               "No way, is that Jennie Kim, that uncool girl that everybody hates?"

               "Yeah no. That's got to be her, there's no way a girl like that who looks so much like Jennie Kim exists here at our school, except for the girl herself."

               "Since when was Jennie able to drive?"

               "Since when did she get a car!?!?"

               "Is she trying to show off her new car to be cool now? How low can she get..."

               Various whispers and chatters are thrown here and there in between students while they stand still, either on the sidewalk or at the gates of the school. Jennie closes the car door and struts her way confidentally towards the entrance of the school wearing a cool facial expression. She knows what she's doing right now may be silly, but she wants to show everyone else that she really couldn't care less of what the others thought of her. She manages to get through the first stages easily, but before she enters the school building itself, she notices a huge crowd standing right in front of the student bulletin board with many of the students making noise and gasps and such. Jennie's curiosity and interest is piqued by what on the bulletin board could cause many of the students to be in an uproar.

               Should I care or should I not care? That is the question.

               Jennie scratches her head and bites her bottom lip. She wants to take a peek at it, and so her feet walks her towards the board. As she gets closer, she overhears what some of the students are saying.

               "No way... This is unbelievable!"

               "This is crazy!"

               "Who started this? Can we even believe this?"

               "When was this even up on here? Why is it here?"

               "Who was the one who put this on here anyway?"

               Jennie makes a face and furrows her brows at what she's hearing. She reaches the most outer layer of students and even squints her eyes a little and tiptoes, but she still struggles to see what's posted on the board. Then, she starts using her hands to move the other students in her way.

               "Excuse me..." she says, until she gets right in front of what she wants to read — something that she regretted the moment her eyes landed on the paper; she wishes she never made her way towards the school bulletin board.

               The students around her scream and exclaim.

               "It's Jennie guys! It's the girl herself!"

               "We need an explanation! What is the meaning of this!?"

               "Where is Rosé!?"

               "We have questions for you! Answer us, are you and Rosé seriously stepsisters!?"

               The only thing in Jennie's mind as she completely zones out everything else she hears is,

               It's over.

 

--

 

               Jennie simply sits there, frozen in her seat with a blank, stoic expression. Her face shows that she's bored out of her mind in class yet mentally, she's thinking about something else other than the subject being lectured at the moment. Even in class, many stares are being thrown at her and Rosé occasionally. The latter arrived shortly after Jennie earlier in the morning and was surprised to be bombarded with questions. She had been surrounded by the other students interrogating her while being pushed and shoved with hands on her arms asking for an explanation.

               "Is it so bad to have a stepsister?" Rosé thinks to herself, "I don't see why it should be a big deal to the others."

               The dirty looks are continuous and consistent throughout class without the teacher's awareness. Jennie breathes in and exhales deeply while turning her head to the left so that she doesn't look anywhere else but out the window. Jisoo sneaks a peek to her left to glance at her while Rosé also turns her head to the left to look at Jennie; she doesn't notice the glances and just leans her head on her hand while facing the window.

               It's over. Everyone knows about me and Rosé now.

               For the first time, Jennie wishes that class won't end soon. But eventually, the bell rings for the class period. And instead of wasting time to let the other students gather up, Jennie stands up from her seat and walks to Rosé's to grab her forearm and drags her out of the classroom.

               "We need to talk," she says briefly. Surprisingly, Rosé complies with her wishes and follows her out of the classroom willingly while Jisoo turns around and watches them go.

               The two girls end up going to the rooftop to avoid being seen by the other students. When they arrive, Jennie flings Rosé's arm out of her grip and turns around to face her with an unhappy facial expression.

               "Why and how does everyone know."

               It comes out in a tone that sounds more like a statement rather than a question.

               "Why're you asking me that? I don't know how they know either, and you were the first one to arrive to school this morning."

               "You know I'm not the socialite around in school. It's Monday. Aren't you the one who texts and have phone conversations with your friends? What about Lisa? Is this her doing? Did she deliberately tell everyone in school or something?"

               "You're kidding me. You can't just go running off based on your assumptions..."

               "Then answer me!" Jennie raises her voice at her, "Who told everyone that we were stepsisters? You know how I feel about that topic and you knew how I was going to act if everyone knew that we were family!" She furrows her brows and glare at the latter in the eyes, "So don't think about lying to me to say it wasn't you."

               But Rosé is quick to add and insist on the complete opposite of what Jennie wanted to hear.

               "It wasn't me."

               Jennie scoffs and closes her eyes and turns her back on the latter with hands on her hips and laughs sarcastically.

               "It's the new girl, it's Jisoo! She knew we were related since the first time we met and — "

               "Do you really think I'll believe that? Do you really think I'd believe your statement of someone whom we've both met for the first time knew the fact that we were stepsisters — our biggest shared secret — before we met her? That's unbelievable and stupid."

               Rosé simply projects an unadorned facial expression, with no other reasoning. She believes in Lisa that her best friend wouldn't have told anyone about her secret, and if it was her in the first place, why wouldn't she just reveal it since the first day she's known of it? Rosé shakes her head a little and decides to stand firm in her belief that it was Jisoo who spread the word, even if she had no connections in the school yet; she's found the new student somewhat mysterious, and she can't shake this unsettling feeling from the latter.

               "Don't provoke me anymore," Jennie warns, "I'm seriously not going to interact with you at all, and don't even think about approaching me at all times — ever." She walks past Rosé, bumping her shoulder into the latter, while taking her leave from the rooftop.

               Rosé scratches her head and feels quite conflicted. It seems like their relationship has only gotten even more tense, dysfunctional, and broken beyond repair. Is her stepsister really never going to give her a chance? Will she never open up to her? She runs a hand through her hair and sighs, feeling a little heartache inside her chest.

               It's quite tiring, don't you know? Don't you realize?

 

--

 

               On the staircase towards her classroom, Jennie encounters two boys and three girls obstructing her path down the steps. They do not give off the friendly look at her when she feels like the gu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter