Chapter 4

I Got A Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 December 2009

The date Yuri will forever remember, forever engraved in her mind. The day she will finally step foot in Seoul. Hearing the news from Eunmi ahjumma and Duho ahjusshi, it took her a few minutes to digest the news before hugging both of them tightly, kissing Dongsun on the top of his head and twirled him around. She was giggling so much it made everyone giggle as well. Duho ahjusshi urged Yuri to quickly pack her belongings as the boys will be leaving very soon. She nodded her head before sprinting back home. Grabbing Jaeyoon’s old overnight bag which she never used, she began stuffing all her clothes, which wasn’t a lot, and her secret saving stash right under her mattress. She was contemplating whether to bring her pots and pans when Eunmi ahjumma and Donghae entered her house. She looked up at them, panic raising in her but was quick to dismiss it as she realised this will probably be her last time in this house. Judgment from Donghae was the least of her problems. She set the pot she was holding down and went to hug Eunmi ahjumma. She began tearing up. She held Eunmi ahjumma tight, closing her eyes and trying very hard to memorise the moment. To memorise Eunmi ahjumma. How her hair was always in a loose bun, a smile plastered on her face, her clean, cinnamony smell. Every detail she wished to memorise the person who practically raised her.

Eunmi ahjumma slowly peeled away, wiping Yuri’s tears as she let a few tears ran down her own face. She needed to let Yuri go, let her become the woman she was always made to be. Kissing Yuri’s forehead, she held Yuri for a little longer before telling her to leave the pots and pans here. Yuri was about to protest but Donghae interrupted by saying the place they have in Seoul have all the necessities she needs. Yuri only nodded. Donghae grabbed Yuri’s overnight bag and slung it on his shoulders. Yuri looked back at her tiny house, her lips quivering abit but took a deep breath to push back her tears. Leaving this house meant she was starting a new chapter in her life, a chapter she’s been dreaming of starting. With one last look, they all exited the house and headed back to Eunmi ahjumma’s house. She said her goodbyes to Duho ahjusshi and Dongsun. Dongsun was the hardest to say goodbye to, he was basically balling his eyes out as he screamed for Yuri to not leave. All she could do was pat his head and hugged him tight. She couldn’t even say goodbye to Jaeyoon as he was back at his boarding school, only time he would come back was the weekends and she would be gone by then. When the boys said they’d help out to clean up, Yuri took this chance to say goodbye to Yuhee ahjumma. She yelled Yuhee ahjumma before darting for her bike and pedalled as fast as she could, hoping to catch her before closing time. Yuri caught her just in time. She was locking the gate when Yuri called for her. She turned around, started but smiled when she saw Yuri. Yuri explained quickly about her situation to Yuhee ahjumma and hugged her tight. Yuhee ahjumma whispered good luck and her best wishes and she hoped Yuri would be able to find whatever it was that she was looking for in life. She also reminded Yuri if she were to ever come back and visit, she’ll be here waiting with open arms. She Yuri’s hair before letting her go. Yuri waved to her one last time before pedalling back to Eunmi ahjumma’s house. 

Back at the house, she saw the boys placing her overnight bag in the truck. She wanted to bring her bicycle with her but Yuri was sure they didn’t have the space. They were doing so much for her already, she didn’t want to step her boundaries. She leaned the bike on the fence and headed towards the group. They said their farewells one last time before climbing in the van. Sunghoon was driving with Donghae sitting in the passenger seat. Yuri was about to climb in at the back but Donghae suggested her to sit in the middle row on the right hand side (behind him) so she could see the view of the scenes they’ll be passing by better. Before she climbed in, Eunmi ahjumma pulled her arm and handed her a small box. Happy birthday was written all over the box. Yuri smiled and hugged her before climbing in. Sliding the door shut, Eunmi couldn’t see her anymore but Yuri didn’t know that. Yuri waved at Eunmi ahjumma as they drove off. She cried, of course.

—————

Considering this was her first road trip to anywhere and her eyes puffy from all the crying, she discovered she has car sickness and so she fell asleep not long after hitting the road. When Yuri finally fluttered her eyes open, it was dark outside. She sat up straight to look at her surroundings. Sunghoon was quietly driving with Donghae at the passenger seat, his bare feet on the dashboard as he slept. Yuri could have sworn she heard Sunghoon curse under his breath about Donghae’s feet being stinky. Jong Suk and Soo Hyuk sleeping peacefully at the back, their heads leaning against the car window and the youngest of the group, Minho, sleeping in the seat next to her, ears plugged with his headphones. She managed to get a closer look at Minho. His thick black hair, longer compared to the others, his sharp nose and thick lips. Yuri wondered how his eyes looked like. She must have done something because his eyes fluttered open. Yuri could see his big round eyes, a deep brown. She quickly looked away, turning her body slightly which made a sound due to the friction of her jeans and the leather seat which made Sunghoon look up at her through the rearview mirror. Yuri smiled sheepishly at him.

“Do you want to eat or anything? I’m gonna stop at the next exit for gas”

Yuri shyly nodded her head at Sunghoon. He replied with a smile. They pulled into the gas station parking lot, and while Sunghoon filled the car up and the rest still sleeping, Yuri ran into the convenience store with a handful of cash in her pocket. She got herself a bottle of water and a variety of filled buns to feed the rest. When she got back to the car, she climbed in and handed Sunghoon a filled bun. His whole face lit up.

“Hey, where’s mine?”

Donghae asked, pretending to look hurt.

“I thought you were still asleep”

Yuri said, grabbing another filled bun from the plastic bag and handed it to him. He smiled at her gratefully. Sunghoon gave Donghae a look before shoving his feet off the dashboard, startling Donghae. Yuri stifled a giggle as she quietly ate her bun. As they started to drive off, Donghae twisted his body to look at Yuri.

“Here”

He gestured at her. He handed her an iPod, his she assumed and asked her to listen to a song. It was called “Sorry Sorry” by a group named Super Junior. Donghae suggested her to listen to the songs while she looked outside instead of sleeping. Yuri obliged. She listened, bobbing her head to the beat as she watched trees and the occasional lamp post pass them by. She ended up concentrating on the songs instead of the scene outside. She concluded she really liked the song “ Why I like you” and “It’s you" the best. When she was about to ask Donghae for other songs by this group, she saw bright lights up ahead and a sign saying “Welcome to Seoul”. Her eyes were glued to the road ahead, excitement bubbling up. Donghae glanced at her, a smile creeping on his lips. He just found her so adorable. Her eyes sparkle as they entered Seoul, looking at everything, trying to absorb as much as she could. She was about to bring the window down when Minho quickly grab her wrist.

“Sorry Noona, but I don’t think you should do that”

Yuri was startled, she nodded slightly at him. She was actually more startled at his deep voice than him stopping her. She quietly looked at the scene outside. Every turn they took, it was brightly lit, full of life even though it was 2 AM. Sunghoon made a few turns before entering, what seemed like a private accommodation building. The building was slightly at the edge of Seoul, away from the shopping places and business and office buildings. The area was shield by a tall brick wall, to prevent the first 2 floors residents’ privacy to be invaded. 

“We’re here”

Donghae announced. Minho and Jong Suk stayed in their seats while Soo Hyuk and Donghae climbed out of the van. Sunghoon turned back to Yuri and smiled.

“Those two boys will get you settled and don’t worry, this place is of high security. I have to get these other two back to their place before their managers yell at me”

Sunghoon explained, accidentally slipped the word “managers” but Yuri didn’t seem to realise as she was busy staring out at the lobby of the building. She mindlessly nodded at him before she climbed out the car. She waved farewell to the boys as they drove off. Donghae had gotten Yuri’s things from the trunk and was standing inside the lobby with Soo Hyuk, waiting for her. She entered the building and was crossing the colossal marble lobby towards where the guys stood. Yuri’s eyes was bouncing from one thing to another. She wondered where she could possibly be and how mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter