Heartbreak

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jennie sighed into her pillow for what seemed like the millionth time that night (in reality it was only the third). She couldn’t sleep; her mind occupied by no one other than the blonde. Her brain wouldn’t stop pondering on every subtle moment and every small detail of every subtle moment that had occurred between the two on Rosie’s couch that night. From the barely noticeable grin that played on Lisa’s face – which still managed to look enticing in the darkness of the room, only lit up by the brightness of the TV screen as the movie continued to roll – to the ever so gentle touches they shared underneath the secrecy of the blanket.

She knew it would only keep her content for so long until she would go back to yearning for more. Hell, she was yearning for more in this exact moment. She hated it. But she loved it too. It was confusing. Even more confusing than physics or biology – and that said a lot.

Everything Lisa did made her perplexed to no end. If she wanted to remain “just friends” why go out of her way to hold her hand like that? Last time she checked, “just friends” didn’t do that. Especially not with their boyfriend sitting right next to them. The worst part was Jennie could never say no. She could never hold back when it came to Lisa.

God, I need to stop myself before this gets outta hand she thought.

But in the back of her mind she knew it already was.

 

***

 

Lunch rolled around and as usual Lisa, along with Rosie and Jisoo, sat at their table making light conversation about their day thus far. Nate joined the three soon after as he always did, loosely wrapping his arm around Lisa’s shoulders and giving her a small peck on the cheek.

“Ah and Romeo arrives at last,” Rosie had remarked upon Nate’s appearance at the table.

“Of course. What would Juliet do without her Romeo?” Nate smiled and looked to Lisa for a reaction.

It made her uneasy but she ignored it and smiled back, just to give him the satisfaction for his relatively untrue statement.

“Gross,” Jisoo muttered, loud enough to fall upon her friends’ ears. They chose to stay mute, however.

Lisa stuffed a forkful of noodles into and scanned the cafeteria out of boredom – or at least that’s what she masked it as. She was searching for a certain someone, whom she hadn’t run into all day. Her quiet hopefulness vanished when her eyes caught a glimpse of them. It made her wish she hadn’t looked at all.

Right there, two tables across from hers, sat Jennie Kim with another girl. Just the one girl. The two chatted, giggled, and shared smiles about God knows what. It didn’t matter to Lisa what they were laughing or grinning about, she just wanted them to stop.

Had Jennie meant less to her she wouldn’t have batted an eye. But of course, that was not the case. The cheater was beginning to mean more to her than she would have liked.

It didn’t help that the other girl looked – dare she say it – pretty. Beautiful even. From what she could make out, this mystery girl had a button nose, full lips, and long dark, wavy hair that fell past her shoulders. Her skin was darker than her own, almost tan. Although she couldn’t tell the colour of her eyes, they sparkled while she stared at Jennie (for far too long in her opinion). Lisa could see that quite clearly, despite the distance.  

It made her insecure. It made her feel more uneasy than she felt with Nate just a mere minute ago.

Lisa realized she’d looked for too long when Rosie turned her head to see what her eyes were focused on. Finding it endearing also, Jisoo did the same.

“Oh, looks like Jennie’s got herself a girl.”

“Oh really?” Nate perked up, sitting up straighter to get a more desirable view.

“Wait? A girl? Is she gay?” Jisoo questioned, turning bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter