Permanence

Permanence

 

Minho is an immortal being living through every change of the world. A world in which people don’t age but live in the appearance of their heart, but do cease to exist when they are fated to. Despite being immortal, he fits in and he’s content but he feels he lacks the bare necessity of being immortal- the fact that nothing is ever permanent for him.

He’s loved too many times and ached in loss too many times that he’s had enough of loving. He’s content with watching the world love instead, watching people find permanence instead.

But one day he collides with Taemin, and his heart is tempted, tempted more than it ever had, tempted enough that he yearns for him despite knowing he would be transient in his life.

His temptation conquered him and he let himself love. He woke up every day, filled with love that only grew, but he went to bed every night, filled with fear that grew as well.

Time went on and on and the fear engulfed Minho’s heart enough for him to decide to let Taemin go. He didn’t want him to ache, nor his own self to ache, knowing one day they would lose each other for nothing.

At least, if he let go of Taemin now, Taemin could have a chance to fill those voids with a different love. If he let go of Taemin now, he himself would have only a void too, that he could eventually fill one day, instead of a scar that would ache him till the end of time.

So he spoke harshly, enough to wipe the loving smile off Taemin’s face, enough to taint his eyes with pain.

“I know,” Taemin answered his harsh words with tranquility when the silence had reigned for too long, “I know you are immortal.”

Minho stood speechless to the smile that grew on Taemin’s face, dismal at the ends, “And maybe I am not. But…won’t you love me enough so I could forever be immortal in your heart?”

Tears formed in Minho’s eyes, tears that could have never left him after how numb his heart had become to pain and hopelessness. He engulfed Taemin in his arms, “You can’t ever let me go, can you?”

“I can’t. Even if you can, I can’t.”

Minho held him tighter at those words, feeling his heart break, because, he could now finally admit to himself what he had long realized. That in his fear, he had loved Taemin enough, so much more than anyone he had loved, that maybe, after him, he could never love again. “I promise, to love you enough that you will be immortal in not only my heart but in every bit of my existence.”

Taemin smiled despite his own tears, nuzzling into Minho’s shoulder, taking in his scent, “I am sorry, for being selfish.”

Minho kissed his head, “I would rather be in pain after having loved you than be in pain without having done so.”

“I will find you in the afterlife, Minho,” Taemin whispered, his words meek and muffled, trying to lighten the air around them.

Minho chuckled, sniffling away his fears and worries, “I’m counting on you for that.”

 

Time went on and on, and Taemin loved Minho enough, so much that not only was he immortal in every bit of Minho’s existence, but he had finally granted him what Minho had forever yearned for.

Permanence.