A Very Good Thing

A Very Good Thing

A clatter echoed through the thick silence, keys landing upon the kitchen bench with an ungraceful splat. Kibum leant against the wooden cupboard in exasperation and ran a calloused hand through his tangled, black locks. Work had been, to put it simply, beyond tiring that day, and the effects were beginning to appear on Kibum’s youthful yet worn features.

The idea of cooking a decent meal at this time of night was significantly unappealing, and his glaring eyes floated around the room in search of any type of fast food brochure. The white fridge, Kibum’s holy sanctuary, was donned in flyers upon flyers along with postcards and fridge magnets which had built up over years of procrastinating a productive clean out.

Kibum wasn’t a hoarder. He merely felt himself with no time on his hands whatsoever, his job at the recording studio taking up more hours than he had ever bargained for. Music remained his passion, but as each day went by his position as the head recording engineer slowly became more of a job than a hobby. And that very idea was quite gruelling within itself, let alone it becoming a reality.

He turned the brochure in his hand and studied it intently, the decision of whether he should order BBQ chicken or Americano pizza tugging at his mind with irksome desperation. Kibum nibbled on his bottom lip in contemplation before exhaling loudly, swiping his mobile from the worn, bench surface and punching in the desired number.

“Um, just a medium pizza please…Yeah, can you do half BBQ chicken and half Americano? Sweet…Could I get that delivered? 16 Banporo Street…Yep, sounds good. Thanks.”

A quick, idiotic thought hastily ran through Kibum’s mind, and without even a second blink of thought, he could hear himself speaking into the phone once again. “Oh excuse me…Yes, could you send your cutest delivery person while you’re at it? Uh huh, I’ve had a rough day. Thank you. Bye.”

As soon as he hung up the phone, Kibum groaned into his hands in pure aggravation with himself. “What a charmer.” he muttered sarcastically, scuffling his way over to the couch and practically falling onto the thinned, leather cushions. And then, after a minute or so of silent thought, Kibum grumbled loudly into the pillows with the realization that he’d forgotten to mention one crucial factor.

“No…” he whined in a high pitch. “I bet they’re gonna send a girl, god darn it.”

Although Kibum’s incoherent mumbling might be deemed as quite concerning for any ongoing listeners, the young man had much more pressing matters at hand. His day wasn’t going to plan at all, and now, when his chances were finally looking up, Kibum had immediately demolished any hope of compensating his gruelling day.

He remained draped over the leather couch in despair, even the stack of paperwork prodding at his mind not diverting him from his slump on the soft cushions. His position didn’t falter in the slightest for minutes on end, and didn’t until the familiar twinkling sound of the doorbell rang throughout the apartment.

With a moping pout adorning his fatigued features, Kibum grudgingly made his way towards the door and opened it with a weary sigh. Kibum gaped, not quite prepared for the charming young man who stood on the other side.

“H-Hi…” the employee stuttered nervously. “I’m sorry they sent me, but I’m the only person on delivery for tonight.”

Kibum nearly grinned at the sheer adorableness exuding from the handsome yet uneasy male.

“I know y-you probably wanted a girl, but—“

“No!” blurted out Kibum on impulse. “I mean…they still got my request right.”

The delivery boy’s eyes widened, before crinkling in unadulterated mirth. “Ah, all good then! W-What was your name, by the way?”

Kibum felt his cheeks redden in sheer nervousness. He’d be lying if he said the employee’s smile wasn’t the most enticing and most beautiful he’d ever seen. “Kibum.” he responded softly, taking the box carefully from Jonghyun’s hands and placing it on the table behind him.

“How much was it for today…?” Kibum began, turning around and allowing his gaze to unconsciously drop to the shorter male’s smooth lips.

The man’s cheeks lit up like a Christmas tree when he noted where Kibum’s eyes were directed, and awkwardly pointed to the badge on his left chest. “J-Jonghyun. And it’s just ten dollars.”

Kibum hurriedly diverted his line of sight to the name badge on Jonghyun’s red shirt, and nodded slowly in vague understanding. “Jonghyun…” he mumbled under his breath, familiarizing himself with the common, yet striking name.

Jonghyun smiled gently, feeling a tinge awkward but maintaining his composure nonetheless.

Kibum reached into his pocket and pulled out a note, handing it to Jonghyun with slight reluctance. His luck had skyrocketed considerably in the last 5 minutes or so, and he’d be damned if the handsome stranger left so suddenly.

Jonghyun took the cash, and bit his lip as their hands brushed tentatively. He shoved the note into his pocket before looking up at Kibum nervously through his short, thin lashes. “I suppose that’s that, then…” he spoke softly, and Kibum could’ve sworn he heard disappointment in the shorter male’s voice.

“I suppose so…” agreed Kibum slowly, yet neither male made any move to say farewell or close the door before them.

Jonghyun his lips apprehensively, and ran his eyes over Kibum’s face. Kibum looked down at Jonghyun’s mouth once again, gnawing his chapped, bottom lip ever so softly.

It was certainly with mutual agreement when Kibum unexpectedly grabbed Jonghyun wrist and pulled him closer, smashing their lips together in a fierce kiss. Fingers made their way into Jonghyun’s hair, tugging and twisting and pulling greedily as he tasted every inch of Jonghyun’s soft, cherry lips.  And Jonghyun was kissing him back with just as much fever, calloused hands riding up Kibum’s shirt in a thirst for his smooth skin and frictional heat, gripping his waist with desperation.

Tongues battled for dominance, and Kibum could feel himself into the kiss, well aware of how wrong this was and yet not caring in the slightest. Jonghyun grinned smugly and pulled away shortly to breathe, taking in Kibum’s flushed appearance with satisfaction. “So…” he breathed. “I suppose it’s a good thing they didn’t send a girl after all.”

Kibum laughed and opened his eyes marginally. “A very good thing.”

And with that, they were kissing again, noses bumping roughly and tongues tangling in desire, neither wanting to pull away in a fear of never seeing the other again. Minutes upon minutes passed, but soon their oxygen was running thin and they were pulling apart once more, holding onto each other tightly.

Silence fell between them, but it was a comfortable silence rather than an awkward one.

“I really should be heading back…” whispered Jonghyun regrettably.

Kibum pouted, but nodded his head in understanding. “I know.”

Jonghyun smiled, and despite only meeting ten or so minutes prior, felt an undeniable fondness for the man before him. “Don’t worry, Kibum. I’m willing to come deliver your pizza any time or day of the week.”

A grin found its way onto Kibum’s previously forlorn, feline profile. “If they send a different employee, I’m suing.”

Jonghyun poked his tongue out in amusement and leaned closer to Kibum’s ear. “My number’s on the receipt.” he whispered, before placing one last, lingering kiss on Kibum’s lips.

Jonghyun left Kibum’s apartment and closed the door softly behind him, but not before Kibum spoke a few final words in farewell.

“And I’ll be sure to make great use of it.”