1

Digital Love

Kwon Yuri was like any other eighteen year old. She had a lot of friends and she'd just started university, majoring in performing. Yuri had a lot of friends. She was quite popular and got along with everyone.

Jessica Jung was an eighteen year old with a big dream to become a fashion designer. But right now, that was on hold. She had decided to wait a year before going to university so she could have some time to rest after working so hard in high school. Jessica had a few good friends that she'd kept in contact with after they had graduated together.

There was only one thing that made these two women very different.

Jessica lived in California.

Yuri lived in Seoul.

 

Yuri returned to her dorm room and flopped down on her bed. Her roommate, a girl called Yoona, was already in the room lying on her bed. She rolled over and looked at Yuri, watching as the older girl reached under her bed for her laptop.

"Had a fun day?" Yoona asked.

"I wish." Yuri sighed. "Mr Kim was harsh on us today."

"Well, I know just the thing to get you feeling happy." Yoona said with a grin before she grabbed her bag and pulled out some bottles containing some alcoholic drink.

"I thought we weren't allowed alcohol in the dorms. You know what Seohyun will say if she finds out." Yuri glanced up at the younger girl who was approaching her with one of the bottles.

"Stuff what Seohyun thinks, we deserve to have some fun." Yoona chuckled before handing one bottle to Yuri, then she grabbed the other bottle for herself and sat next to Yuri.

After an hour or so, the two were rather tipsy and ended up on a dating site. After looking at the profiles of many males, Yoona decided that they should look for girls for Yuri instead, since she knew her friend had a preference for girls. After a lot of "No, they're not my type!" and "When will you just pick someone?", Yuri eventually decided on a girl. Her name was Jessica and Yuri was pretty sure that she was the most beautiful girl she'd ever seen. She'd already sent Jessica a message before even reading the rest of her profile. That's when Yoona suddenly pointed something out.

"You know, she lives in California according to this." Yoona said.

"Don't care. She's pretty." Yuri shrugged.

Suddenly, the door opened and Seohyun came charging in.

"You know there's a no alcohol rule in this dorm! Come on, we have to get you sobered up quick before anyone else realises. Gosh, you're both so noisy, and you smell of alcohol so bad, what were you even drinking?" Seohyun kept on mumbling whilst dragging the two out of the room, leaving Yuri's laptop on the bed, still opened on Jessica's profile.

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Jessica was sat in her room by herself. Her friend, Tiffany, had just left. They were about to go somewhere but Tiffany's cousins had come to visit from Korea, meaning that she had to leave for a while to spend time with them, which left Jessica sat alone in her room. Jessica was wondering what to do when she remembered that a few nights ago, Tiffany and her had signed themselves up to a dating site. Tiffany was already using it a lot, but she'd said she was only using it to make friends with other girls, and had started talking to a girl called Taeyeon who was living in America temporarily with some friends after they'd decided to travel the world, only to discover they'd got no money by the time they got to America. Jessica decided to check up on her profile to see if anyone had tried to speak to her. She was scrolling through the messages she'd gotten from many boys who didn't interest her when suddenly she saw the face of a girl. The girl looked to be very pretty on the picture, so she decided to reply, wondering what would come of this. As she was looking through the other girl's profile, who's name was Yuri, she was reading about Yuri when she saw it. Yuri lived in Seoul. Oh well, Jessica thought. I guess she'd be a good friend to have there for whenever I have to visit Seoul. Jessica was suddenly disturbed as her thirteen year old sister, Krystal, ran in and flung herself on Jessica's bed.

"Help me with this homework." The younger girl said. "You're smart."

Jessica ended up spending the rest of the day with Krystal after she'd helped her with her homework, and by the time the day was over, she was too tired to see if Yuri had replied.

 

The next day, Yuri woke up to the feeling of someone on top of her. She opened her eyes and saw Yoona, fast asleep on top of her. This happened quite often, since Yoona would wake up feeling cold during the night, so she would go to Yuri's bed to get warmer. To anyone else, it would've looked cute. But to Yuri, it was annoying since she woke up with a snoring, drooling Yoona on top of her. Eventually, Yuri got Yoona to wake up so she could shower then get something to eat before heading to class for the morning. She just hoped that it wouldn't be as harsh as it had been the previous day.

 

A while later on the other side of the world, morning came and Jessica woke up to the sound of her phone vibrating. She picked it up and saw she had a text from Tiffany.

"heyzzzz jess stop zzz'ing an get ready boo we r goin out 2day xoxo"

Jessica reluctantly pulled herself out of bed and went down to get breakfast. Krystal was already awake and getting ready for school.

"Tiffany came earlier, but I told her you were asleep. And it was 6am. Who turns up to someone's house at 6am?" Krystal snorted.

"Tiffany's like that. She doesn't know what time is." Jessica mumbled as she ate her cereal.

Krystal left after that for school. Jessica went upstairs to take a shower, then she got dressed and sat on her bed. She suddenly remembered the dating site and the girl called Yuri that she'd been talking to. She decided to check if Yuri had replied. Surely enough, Yuri had. They were talking about their interests. Yuri had said she liked dancing and wanted to be a backing dancer for famous groups in her country. Jessica had told Yuri that she wanted to be a fashion designer and was planning to do something along those lines when she started university. Yuri had replied saying that she thought that it sounded really cool and she hoped that Jessica could become a famous fashion designer so one day they could meet up when they were both famous and stuff. Jessica quite liked Yuri a lot already. Yuri is going to be a good friend, Jessica thought to herself.