end.

Moonlight

It is deep in the night when the lonely moon rises and softly comes down the windowsill. He stares at the empty city before him, not a soul is out. In the corner of the room a young man has just escaped a dream. A dream where the sun’s brightness is comforting instead of blinding. A dream where he was on Cloud 9. A dream where his head was lost in the clouds. A dream where he was with his moon, happy. He always loved the moon. Because he loved how the moon shined so uniquely.

 

He dreamed that he is a dreamer.

 

Now his eyes are open, sleep had slipped completely out of his grasp, he is still afraid. Jongin knows he can’t be a dreamer. He has too much on his plate. He is now reminiscing how Kyungsoo has always managed to appear in his dreams, just the two of them. His heart is beating faster than yesterday. He feels yesterdays are now belittled. Jongin was the sentimental type when it comes to Kyungsoo. He decides to head down the bathroom to wash away his thoughts with cold water, then he goes toward a windowsill where the moonlight is peer as he usually does.

 

Jongin hates the dark. He loves the moonlight. It’s not complicated, it means what it means.

 

His eyes still think they’re staring into darkness as he makes his way to the lovely brightness. While he makes his way, he ponders why the moonlight is brighter than usual, he then lets silence answer his question. Once he arrives at his destination the question is no longer relevant. Kyungsoo is now entering Jongin’s vision, on the verge of sleeping.

 

There is a light in Kyungsoo’s eyes that Jongin has always been drawn to, he didn’t know what it meant—but he would always find himself lost in them. All he could do is stare. That’s what he always does. Because he believes that if he inches closer, those beautiful eyes would haunt him everywhere—even his dreams, which is a lot from a person that can only find his way through dreams by the moonlight. So he lets Kyungsoo sleep and dream away because he is the reason why Jongin dreams that he is a dreamer.

 

*

 

Kyungsoo knows Jongin is staring. He does nothing because this is the only time they have to themselves. He does nothing because when the deep night comes to an end they’ll pretend ‘they’ never happened. He does nothing because it becomes unbearable.

 

He does nothing because the sun and the moon aren’t meant to be seen together.

 

He remembers a mental discussion with himself where he decides Jongin is the sun and he is the moon. Simply because he thinks Jongin is so effortlessly beautiful and is always willing to bring upon brightness in the dark. Him, the moon because he also wants to shine. Because Jongin hates the dark.

 

But he wants to be greedy and hold him tight in front of the whole world, because Jongin completes him. Sometimes he wonders why he doesn’t just give in.

 

The sound of gentle footsteps attempting to leave abruptly pulls him out of his sea of thoughts. He gives in. He gives in because this is the only time they have to themselves. He gives in because when the deep night comes to an end they’ll pretend ‘they’ never happened. He gives in because it becomes unbearable.

 

He gives in because Jongin is the reason why Kyungsoo can shine.

 

He brings Jongin into a warm embrace. And before the younger could react, Kyungsoo took it home. They share kisses under the moonlight from the windowsill.

 

*

 

5:15am; “Promise me you’ll always remember ‘us’.” Kyungsoo has false hopes. He’s afraid that Jongin will forget. He doesn’t want to fade like smoke.

 

*

 

5:18am; Jongin laughs for some reason.

 

“Forever and always.”

 

Of course he’ll remember. He always had. Since the very beginning. Because Jongin has false hopes. He’s afraid that ‘they’ will fade like smoke. He doesn’t want that.