Arf Adventures In The Park

The Arf Adventures

                The little girl looked at me as if I’m the most magnificent thing she have ever seen. Wow. I miss my mommy and daddy. Why are they so stupid? Why did they left me with uncle BamBam? He went to buy something and left me near the benches in the park until this girl caught my leash and pulled me somewhere I don’t know.

                She just keep on staring at my eyes. I know they’re beautiful. Mommy never failed in telling me that. And daddy would always look at my eyes as if the world revolves around them. Couldn’t blame them. They—my eyes—are beautiful. I am beautiful. I am adored by millions of people. Okay that sounds so wrong. I’m not bragging. I’m just stating a fact.

                I barked. And barked and barked and barked. She didn’t flinch. She held my face the way mommy, daddy, and uncles would always do. But not as suffocating. Her touch is way too light. But there’s something in her. Something I can’t quite figure out. And she looks different than most humans I’ve seen. She looks… out of it. Daddy looks like he’s always in deep thoughts but this girl is just different. I wonder what she’s thinking about.

                “HaeRi? HaeRi, my sweet child, where did you—” and then there’s a woman who looks so worried. “Whose dog is that?” the child looked at her mother and shook her head. “Where did you get her?” she shook her head. “Oh, is she lost?”

                The woman crouched down to take a look at me. “She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

                The little girl gave her a nod. “She’s… she’s alone. And I can’t help it. I can’t help it, mommy.”

                The girl’s mother bit her lips. “You can’t help it? I… it is okay.” Then she hugged her.

                “Mommy when I saw her, I want to get her. I want her. I can’t stop myself mommy. Why is that?”

                “I don’t know, baby. I… I really don’t.” she surely knows something. But obviously, she can’t tell her daughter about it. She’s probably too young to understand. “Come on, let’s find this little dog’s owner.”

                “B…but I want her!”

                “Honey… y—” the woman sighed, “You can’t have her.” The girl reached for my leash once again. “She’s not yours.”

                “I want her,” she looks as though she’s going to cry. “I want her, mommy. I want her to be mine.”

                “But… but you can’t have her, honey. We have to return her to her owner.”

                “But mommy I’m scared.”

                “Why are you scared?”

                “Mommy he said he’s not going to let me sleep tonight if I’m not going to adopt her.”

                The girl’s mother bit her lower lip. “Honey we can’t adopt this little d—”

                “Crazy girl!” a kid called from afar. “Hey Crazy, why are you here in the park?”

                The mother looked at the girl who just called her daughter crazy. “Please stop.” There’s this look in her eyes. I want to comfort her so I tried getting away from the girl’s reach.

                “Oh, you can tell something’s happening, huh?” she tells me. “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it. My little angel here is dealing with some sorts of demon.” Then she started laughing. “Why am I even talking to a dog?”

                I want to tell her that there’s nothing wrong with talking to a dog.

                “We’re going to adopt a new puppy, okay?” she tells her child. “But we can’t have her, honey. I’m so sorry.”

                “But mommy the voice said I need to get her home! In our house! Our house is going to be her home.” She sat on the grass and start pulling her own hair. “Mommy I’m scared. I have to follow what he wants me to do, mommy. I’m scared. I want to sleep.”

                “But honey…”

                “I want to get a good sleep just like in cartoons. Mommy… what should I do? Mommy I want her.” She looks scared. But there’s also something beautiful about her. She looks… strong. She looks as though she’s trying to fight something with her own. And at the same time… she looks scared. Poor soul. Whatever she’s talking about that will not let her sleep, I hope it won’t bother her tonight. The girl pointed at me. “I need her so he won’t bother me.”

                “Honey…” the woman looks so tired. Dead tired. But she also looks like she’s not planning on giving up. She loves her daughter. Great love. This is so beautiful and it would’ve been better if I’m not lost and about to get kidnapped… by “him” that she’s talking. “Him” because he’s asking her to take me. “I’m sorry but we really can’t do that.”

“But mom—”

                “Coco!” she was cut off by uncle BamBam’s voice. I turned around to look and the idiot looks so happy to see me. Only if I could tell mommy and daddy what happened.

                “Oh, he’s yours?”

                “Uh, yeah. Did you find her? Thank you so much!”

                “No problem.” Uncle BamBam picked me up from the ground and hugged me tight. He’s choking me again. “I’m glad you found her.”

                “Me too.”

                “We were about to look at you.”

                “Oh, for real?”

                The woman gave Uncle Bam a nod. “My daughter found her.” Uncle Bam lowered crouched down to make an eye contact with the kid.

                “You’re going to take her away from me?” the little girl asked. I want to comfort her. So I tried getting away from Uncle Bam. He let me. Good.

                I rubbed my cheeks on the child’s foot. I want to tell her that whatever it is that’s happening to her, it can never beat her. She’s stronger than she looks. And she’s going to be stronger than she already is. It’s true that we can read emotions. We understand humans. We are made for humans, after all.

                “You like her that much, Coco?” Uncle Bam asked me. I wonder what he will do if I answer him yes. “But we have to go. Mark hyung and Youngjae hyung are looking for you.”

                When we got home, daddy is watching an American documentary in his iPad about mental health. I don’t know what mental health but I’m curious so I watched it with him.

                I can help but be amazed. And sad. Humans suffer from these mental disorders and they are mocked for it. Humans are amazing and stupid at the same time. Why mock a person with a case like that? They should be admired instead because they try their best every day. And crazy? When did humans become their illness? Wow. I love humans as much as I hate them.

                “Coco let’s sleep.” Daddy enveloped me into a hug—a.k.a. choke me—and usually I would accompany him while he’s asleep but I can’t help but get away from him right now.

                I remember that little kid. She’s probably suffering from some kind of disorder. Poor soul. She deserves all the happiness in the world. But it’s going to be rough road for her like anyone else. I hope one day she wakes up free. Free from “him” that she was talking about. One day she’ll hear music instead of scary voices.

                I want her to be happy. I hope kids like that girl in the park who called her crazy will be given a proper education by their parents. Or teachers. It doesn’t matter who as long as they realize that they wrong. As long as they realize that just because someone is not part of what this stupid world calls "sane", it doesn't make them less of a person. They are just as important. And they deserve the world as much as everyone does.

                I’ve never been this impressed with a human being before. I hope I see her again.