Date or Pass

Date or Pass

 

“Hey, Jonghyun. What are all these statuses about date or pass?”
 
Jonghyun leaned over from his side of the couch, looking at Jinki’s computer. Facebook was pulled up and many of the statuses read numbers with a reply, either date or pass, and Jinki couldn’t figure out what it meant.
 
“That’s just a thing people do when they’re bored, hyung. You write a status saying ‘Send me a number and I’ll tell you if I’d date you or pass’. It’s really stupid, I mean what if they said pass, wouldn’t you feel stupid?”
 
Jinki nodded, and scrolled through the newsfeed. “But…most of them are from Kim Kibum.”
 
The younger man scoffed. “Of course they are. That diva always posts those things, and every one of them he gets he says ‘pass’ or when he finally says ’date’ he writes a jk after it. He’s a tease is what he is.”
 
Jinki glanced at his friend, noticing the edge to his voice. “Have you sent him a number, Jjong?”
 
He tensed, obviously caught. “No! Well…I mean yeah but just for laughs, you know? Minho was with me and he told me to do it so I did and… the jerk said ‘date…if I wasn’t afraid of your gigantic nostrils’.”
 
The older boy winced, having seen some of the harsh statuses from the junior on Facebook. He was friends with Kibum only because he added mutual friends…but recently Jinki had been—not stalking, because stalking was creepy—observing his page, looking through pictures and viewing every status. It had actually been bugging him for days, wondering what this date or pass thing was. And now that he knew, Jinki was easily typing in the search bar, K quickly assuming Kim Kibum and Jinki bit his lip, wondering if Facebook knew him too well by now or if it was a coincidence. 
 
The first fifteen statuses had numbers and an answer, and Jinki’s stomach twisted at the one ‘date’ reply. He wondered who number 2456 was and if Kibum really intended on dating him.
 
Jonghyun looked at the computer again, noticing who Jinki’s tab was open to. 
 
“Send him one, hyung. I wanna see what he says to you.”
 
Jinki looked at his friend as though he was crazy. “But what if he says pass?” 
Jonghyun shrugged. “So what? We both know he’s an anyway. He hangs out with Jokwon and Jinwoo. They’re all such diva’s I’m surprised they don’t rip out each other’s hair.”
 
Jinki agreed with that a little, but recently with his…observing of the Kibum on Facebook had him watching the real person at school. They didn’t have class together, because Jinki was a senior, but they had lunch together and it so happened they sat at near-by lunch tables. When Jonghyun would be scarfing down his lunch, Jinki would conscientiously watch the younger boy; the way he talked and moved his hands when he was explaining something. He quickly learned every expression Kim Kibum had, from frustrated to distracted to giddy. Kibum had one of the nicest smiles Jinki had every seen…
 
“Just send it hyung,” Jonghyun said, bringing Jinki back into his living room with a computer on his lap. “I wanna know what he’d say.”
 
It made his insides squirm at the thought of Kibum rejecting him, but after all, it didn’t matter if he said pass, right? They hardly knew each other… he really shouldn’t expect him to say ‘date’.
 
With as much courage as he could muster, Jinki clicked the Message button, and wrote the number 1214 for his birthday. His mouse hesitates to click Send, suddenly this didn’t seem like a good idea anymore…
 
“Oh God, just send it.” Jonghyun scoffed and leaned over, taking the mouse out of Jinki’s hand before he could even blink, clicking Send and tossing the device back into his friends lap, and reclined back into the couch like nothing was wrong.
 
Jinki sat frozen in front of his laptop, seeing his message just sitting there, waiting for a reply. A lump was stuck in his throat and he wondered if the mouse would fit shoved up Jonghyun’s .
 
“Tell me when he replies,” said best friend called out, flipping through the channels on the TV nonchalantly. 
 
Jonghyun! What the hell?”
 
“Don’t worry about it, hyung, God. It’s just a stupid Facebook trend.”
 
So Jinki waited, impatiently and nervously. He had bitten into all of the nails in one hand and was just starting on his other when the newsfeed read that six new stories had appeared. He clicked it, his breath halting and he looked through the statuses. Most were from random people at his school, one from a family member, and then one from Kim Kibum.
 
Kim Kibum
1214: date;)
 
It was so simple. Only two words. And it said date.
 
It said date.
 
“Jonghyun!” Jinki hissed, shoving his friend’s shoulder hard. “Look!”
 
Jonghyun grunted hard, mumbling curses and leaned over to check out his hyung’s screen. After a moment, he pulled back, his eyebrows furrowed. 
 
“How? How did he say yes to you and no to me?” He paused, looking at his friend guiltily, “I mean, no offence or anything, but he knows me more than he knows you right? Why did he say yes to you?”
 
Jinki shrugged, completely surprised himself.
 
“Look, you have a new notification.”
 
He turned, easily clicking on the red notice. It sent him back to Kibum’s page, the first new update reading:
 
Kim Kibum went from single to in a relationship with Lee Jinki
 
“What the ?!”
 
“I-I don’t know! I didn’t—”
 
“I know you didn’t. But why would he just change it like that? Is he ing with you?”
 
Jinki was just as confused as his friend. He did the only thing he figured he could do; message Kibum.
 
Lee Jinki
Can I ask why you changed your relationship status?
 
Not even a minute later, a notification showed a reply.
 
Kim Kibum
i did say i’d date u!! i figured u wanted to too?!
 
Did Kibum really type that way? It made Jinki cringe… but he quickly keyed in a response.
 
Lee Jinki
I mean… Don’t get me wrong, you’re very nice looking, but we hardly know each other. :( 
 
Kim Kibum
  i see u everyday @  the lunchroom! U sit with that erted dino. And who says very nice looking anymore? i’ve been called beautiful n y but never that…
 
Lee Jinki
I didn’t know you saw me there… I’m sorry. You’re beautiful Kibum ^^;;
 
Was it okay to lie about that? It had to be, because there was no way he’d admit to watching the younger boy all the time. That was stalker-ish, and Jinki was no stalker.
 
Kim Kibum
aw u dont? but i’ve checked u out a lot! ure pretty cute urself. && if u think im cute y dont u go out w/ me? Be my boyyfriend, hyunnnggg!
 
Was this really happening? Jinki pinched himself to be sure, but he didn’t wake up in bed like he was supposed to. He still sat there staring at the text.
 
Lee Jinki
You think I’m cute? But… you’ve never talked to me!
 
Kim Kibum
well lets start talkin becuz i need to kno my boyfriend better ;)
 
“Jonghyun.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“I guess I have to change my relationship status to In a Relationship.”