Chapter 3

Loving You... (A Jung Joon Young and Lee Sunbin Fanfiction)

Featured song: Whatta Man by I.O.I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOn5tSagerY)

Note: The site automatically removed some swear words, I think. So if you want to read with those words, please head over to the wattpad version. (https://www.wattpad.com/313862915-loving-you-a-jung-joon-young-and-lee-sunbin)

“잠깐만 (Wait), I think I dropped something” A girl exclaimed as she feel her jeans pocket. “You two go ahead, I’ll follow.” And then she re-traced her steps. Alas, she found the object she dropped. As she was about to turn, she bumped into another person.


 
“What the f – Omo – Jung Joon Young-ssi?!” a girl exclaimed.  

 

 
‘Damn. Shouldn’t have gone out. People recognize me so easily.’ Joon Young thought. Looking away from the phone, he faced the girl and smiled albeit awkward. 

 

 
Instantly, the girl beamed, a hand in  and spoke almost inaudibly. “I’m a huge fan of you.”

 

 
Joon Young’s smile was strained. “아 그래요..? (Ah, really..?) Thank you.” He does not want to interact with fans right now. He needed to find the angel he met in the airport. The heavens gave him the chance to meet her again. He should make use of it before it slips. 

 

 
“Can I take a picture with you please?” the girl’s eyes were twinkling. She turned to Roy and said, “Can you please take a photo of us please?” 

 

 
Roy was in disbelief. She didn’t recognize that he was a celebrity too? Joon Young shrugged at him and Roy rolled his eyes at him as he took the phone from the girl’s hands. 

 

 
“1… 2… 3…” Roy was to click the capture button when – 

 

 
“Oh! You have a phone call.” 

 

 
“Omo – such a bad timing. Did you get the photo of us?” 

 

 
Roy was unsure but he nodded yes. The woman took the phone from his hands and bowed slightly to Joon Young to say her goodbye. Again, Roy was in disbelief. She didn’t even say thank you to him. 

 

 
“Waaaa – They only see the bad guys nowadays eh?” He shook his head and walked to Joon Young’s side. He was silent and staring at the floor. Frowning, Roy asked, “What’s wrong with you?”

 

 
As if realizing something, Joon Young turned to Roy and grabbed him by the collar. “You said you called my phone right? That means you can call that phone. That means you can call her. And then I can meet her again.” Roy looked at him incredulously and frantically removed his hands from him. “Give me your phone. Hurry up.” He’s finally turned crazy, Roy thought. “Ya! 바보야! (Stupid!) You said so yourself. You changed the number in that phone. That’s why my calls didn’t push through. And you don’t even remember the number.”

 

 
Joon Young’s shoulder slumped and he started pulling his hair. “Ah, what do I do now? Urgh.”

 

 
Roy rolled his eyes again. “I told you there’s so much fish in the sea. Get over it, bastard. Let’s go and have some fun today.” He grabbed Joon Young’ wrist and pulled him inside.

 
***
“We’re here!” Soobin announced to her in English, her eyes twinkling as she took in the club sign above her.  Sunbin looked unimpressed. Clubs, bars, it’s not her style anymore. She’d rather be in a café sipping latte rather than go drinking and dancing and what not. It’s not her cup of tea anymore. She can drink, party and socialize. She attended quite a number in America and she’s sick of that lifestyle already. She’s so over it. 

 

 
She now regrets her decision to join these already intoxicated es. She should’ve stayed back and plan a way to get them caught being out of the dorm after curfew instead of coming with them. She mentally slapped her forehead and she closed her eyes for a brief second. Now she has to plan a way not to get caught herself.

 

 
Soobin turned to the girl beside her – one of the girls who Sunbin tripped by the way, “Ya! Where are the others?” Sunbin still has to pretend she doesn’t know Korean. Someone needs to hand her an award already. Top-notch acting she’s doing right now.

 

 
“I already called Hana –  ”

 

 
“Tell them to hurry up.”

 

 
“Yeri and Hyesu, they’re on the way. Hana, however… Apparently she met a celebrity while walking here.” The girl, Joona explained, bored. Soobin however perked up. “그래? (Really?) 누구? (Who?)” she excitedly asked.

 

 
“Jung Joon Young. The singer.” Although not paying much attention, Sunbin couldn’t help but listen in especially when the name Jung Joon Young was mentioned. She met a Jung Joon Young in the airport earlier too.  He was quite a character. Sunbin smirked without realizing it as she replayed earlier’s events in her mind. He wasn’t much. She wouldn’t notice him actually if not for him accidentally bumping into her. Lanky guys were not really her type. But he had this charm to him… She can’t place it but as she thought about him more, she almost had a silly smile on her face. 

 

 
Sunbin was pulled back into reality when Soobin turned to her and declared, “Amelia, it turns out that we came to the wrong club. We need to walk a bit more.” Sunbin shrugged and said, “Sure, lead the way.” Her hand gesturing them to walk in front of her. 

 

 
When Soobin and Joona did, she let out a small sigh and slightly narrowed her eyes at the two people in front of her as she bit her lip. Soobin linked her arms with Joona and kept on telling her scenarios about meeting the celebrity they were talking about. 

 

 
Sunbin directed her attention to the passing cars beside them until the two in front of her halted to a stop. “We’re here.” Soobin announced, her smile almost ear to ear. “Let’s go.” Since the night was still young and it is not a busy weekday, there wasn’t much of a queue but still a considerable number. Soobin, now trying to act friendly linked arms with Sunbin and gave her an excited smile. She seem to be not able to wait for them to get in. She kept on batting her eyelashes towards the bouncer and twirling her wavy locks. 

 

 
‘Urgh, I want to vomit.’ Sunbin thought. She fought the urge to roll her eyes and pry away her arms from her.  Joona on the other hand has her lips pursed and already looking bored and frustrated. Eventually she complained to Soobin in Korean after waiting for two minutes, “Those wenches should’ve waited for us. Hana’s so good at seducing bouncers to get us inside quickly. That . ” 

 

 
Sunbin shot an eyebrow at her as Joona turned her attention back to the queue. Soobin shrugged. Sunbin glanced sideways at her. ‘Inconsiderate es.’ She said to herself. They’ve been together for an hour now but they still do not include her in their conversations. The only one who talked to her so far was Soobin with her heavy American accent. The rest only gave her wary smiles. Eventually, they got in. Soobin quickly scanned the room for any celebrity figures but when she found none, she changed her target to finding her friends. 

 

 
Sunbin took in the club. She was starting to feel headache as the loud music bombs her ears. She was feeling quite nauseous probably because some jet lag and exhaustion is finally kicking in. She didn’t sleep much in the plane. She probably only got 2 hours of sleep because she was the unlucky one who got to sit next to a wailing infant. ‘Damn it. Shouldn’t have gone with these pests.’ She thought as she massaged her head. ‘Wrong move. Wrong move. Should’ve just settled with tripping and pulling hair.’ She slapped her face mentally.

 

 
“Amelia, come on.” Soobin pulled her by the wrist and sat at one of the C shaped couches that can fit 6-8 people. Only she, Soobin and Hyesu – a girl yet to be tripped by her – were sitting. The others were already lost in the dance floor, dancing to the beat of the music. “What do you want to drink?” Hyesu had to shout because the music was too loud. Sunbin waved a hand to say no. Not wanting to speak more English, Hyesu just nodded and stood to get drinks. Sunbin mentally cursed when Hyesu didn’t go to her side to get out. She could have tripped her. But then again, that Hyesu wasn’t exactly mean to Jisoo, well, she hasn’t really seen her talk bad about Jisoo yet. She eyed Soobin who was frantically just looking around. She was probably still looking for the celebrity they talked about. 

 

 
“Why aren’t you dancing with the others?” Sunbin had to asked, well, shout. Soobin almost didn’t hear her. For a brief second she turned to her and said, “I’m looking for someone.” Then she looked around again. 

 

 
“Your boyfriend?” Sunbin asked again. This time, Soobin didn’t even spare her a glance and just replied, “Yes. My soon to be boyfriend.” And then she smiled the smile of a woman who is out to seduce someone. 

 
***
Joon Young settled into a C-shaped couch completely oblivious that the heavens gave him another chance to meet the girl he’s been after. He did not know that she was seated behind him on another C shaped couch. For the first time in a long while, he was not feeling the club. He just wanted to get out of the damn club. But damn Roy and his damn birthday celebration. The lad is now in the middle of the dance floor, drunk and jumping to the beat. 

 

 
Doing nothing, he craved for a smoke. He started to imagine taking long drags and then slowly let the smoke out. He wanted to go out for a smoke so bad but he can’t leave his half-drunk friend behind. So he decided to get a drink instead. One will do since he’s driving them both. 

 

 
Just as he was about to stand, he heard a commotion from behind him. Despite the loud music, he can clearly hear the angry shouts of a woman, “You ! You are definitely doing this on purpose. Come here you !”

 

 
“그만해! (Stop it!). 조용해 좀! (Keep quiet, please!)” another woman shouted trying to appease. But she was not successful. “아니! (No!). This crazy wench here is doing this on purpose. ” A pause. Then, “Ya! Come here you !” 

 

 
He stood finally and turned to the commotion. The music still played loud and clear but there were already a number of people who stopped dancing and watched the scene before them. He saw an enraged woman – whose face seemed familiar – being pushed back by two other women, a woman in front of her trying to pacify the situation and there was another, her back facing him who stood as if she was just an onlooker and nothing to do with the situation if not for the finger that’s being pointed at her by the angered woman.

 
***
“Hana ya! Stop it. Don’t make a scene!” Soobin half shouted, half whispered to her enraged friend. She didn’t see the whole thing because she was too busy looking for Jung Joon Young but she briefly caught how the foreigner girl smiled as her friend tripped. She wanted to hit her then but she does not like causing scenes in clubs. Scenes where-in she’s the main attraction, yes but scenes where cat fights can be involved, she prefers the alley. For now she was  focused on making the people lose their attention to them. She’ll deal with the foreigner girl later on.

 
A masculine voice interrupted and a male walked over. “If you girls have any problem, can you please take it outside. This is not a wrestling pit for you to do your fight. People come here to dance and have fun, not watch people attack another.”

 
The people who were watching started whispering to one another.

 
Soobin turned and her eyes widened. Even Hana’s shoulders suddenly slackened and all her anger suddenly died down. Jung Joon Young. It’s Jung Joon Young. The celebrity that she and Hana liked since Superstar K4 is right in front of her. He cocked his head to the side, his lips pursed. “Beautiful girls shouldn’t fight. If your face gets damaged… ” He tsked and let the words die down. 

 
***
Sunbin watched from her side vision as a lanky guy walked over from behind – quite languid in his steps, his hands on his pockets. He was in front of her and still directing his attention to Soobin and her group of friends. She narrowed her eyes at his back, at him. The tone of voice seemed familiar to her. His body build as well. As she eyed him and Soobin’s group back and forth, she noticed the drastic change in Soobin’s and Hana’s emotions. She can’t help but snort – and it definitely did not go unnoticed. She instantly felt the glares from the bunch. If glares could burn, she’s probably incinerated just now. She glared back at them, with a playful smirk on her face.

 
***
Joon Young heard the snort and turned. He did a double take. And then his eyes widened. And his heart leapt off a cliff. ‘.’ He blinked a couple of times just to be sure the person in front of him is not a dream. “선-선빈씨?! (Sun-sunbin-ssi?!)” he blurted out his hand pointing to her as if trying to confirm her identity.

 

 
At the mention of her Korean name, Sunbin’s attention was immediately won over by Joon Young. She can’t help but widen her eyes when she found the guy she talked to in the airport in front of her. “Omo – Jung Joon Young-ssi?! ” she breathed, not believing herself.

 

 
The crowd started losing interest when they pieced that the fight is now over thanks to Joon Young. Most of them went back to dancing and doing what they were doing prior.

 

 
“Wh-why are you here?” Joon Young asked in Korean, excited and completely forgetting the women he was talking to just now.

 

 
The women now had a frown on their faces trying to process the shift in attention. They eye the two back and forth.

 

 
“You, why are you here?” she asked back in Korean. It earned her hung open mouths from the group. Their minds were all like, ‘she can speak Korean???’

 

 
“Ah, I was just with a friend.” He explained, suddenly shy as he scratched his head. Sunbin cocked her head as an eyebrow shot up. “I don’t think so.” She teased.

 
Joon Young, suddenly defensive, stuttered as he said “No.”

 

 
Soobin finally taking control of herself, recovered first and blurted out, her anger rising once again. “You conniving liar !”

 

 
Joon Young suddenly remembered they existed. His eyes went from them and then back to Sunbin. His mind finally grasped the situation. His little angel seems to be in trouble. He suddenly felt the need to get her out of there – fast. 

 

 
Sunbin seemed relaxed. Like she’s experienced it before. Joon Young’s instinct was to protect. “I told you to be careful around people here.” He said as he started to walk calmly towards her. 

 

 
Her eyebrows shot up once again, “You only told me to be careful of men. I clearly recall no warnings about crazy women.” Sunbin fired back, her smile directed to Soobin and her group. Once of them growled at her. Joon Young’s eyebrow were knit together. ‘She’s crazy. Why is she fanning the flames?’ he thought.

 

 
‘Stop taunting them.’ he mouthed. Sunbin just shrugged, crossed her arms and taunted them more with her smirk.  Joon Young cleared his throat and was suddenly beside Sunbin. A split second after, his right arm was over her shoulder and another split second after, he was slightly behind Sunbin, and his right arm was now hugging her around the neck. She tensed slightly at the sudden skinship. He leaned in to her left ear and whispered as he stared at the group that’s glaring at her, “I thought I met an angel but turns out, you’re hiding in an angel’s body you little devil.” A pause then he continued, “Just my type.” And then he smirked as he pushed himself off of her. 

 

 
He held her left wrist and stared at her earnestly. “You won’t survive this fight alone my little devil.” Another smirk. And god, Sunbin wanted to hit him for making her heart race so fast. The way he smirked so confidently irks her but at the same time melts her. Damn this man. Her knees felt wobbly. ‘Damn this. I won’t win with me feeling like this.’

 

 
He turned to Soobin and her friends, “I’m sorry ladies. I’m afraid I have to steal this woman away tonight. I hope you let me take her away.” He smiled half –heartedly before he pulled her close and whispered, “I’m you’re knight in shining armor now.” She can sense his smile at his words. She cringed at the words and wanted to pull away from him and felt her head ache again. ‘Damn it.’ She cursed to herself. She let him take her away from the seething eyes and load environment. She does not know why Soobin and her friends just looked on let her get away so easily. She does not want to think about it though at this moment because her head is tearing apart. 

 

 

Finally they were out and Joon Young let out a deep breath, let go of her wrist and turned to her. “Uuwaa – You are one of a kind.” He uttered suddenly. Was it amazement in his voice, Sunbin could not tell. Her head was all she could think about right now. And sleep. She felt weak. She’s past her limits.

 

 

Then they heard a noise from behind. “That girl, she can’t get away -”

 

 

Joon Young’s eyes widened. Sunbin’s too busy trying to balance herself to notice. “Let’s go.” Joon Young’s voice was urgent. He reached for her wrist again. “Wha -” and then she got pulled. She almost lost her footing. The next thing she knew, she was running.

 

 

Behind them, Soobin’s group led by Hana just emerged from the entrance. Joon Young and Sunbin were only ten metres away from where Roy parked the car when the group saw them. “Don’t let that get away!”

 

 

“.” Joon Young quickly fished the car keys out. “Get in.” he practically threw her to the passenger seat.

 

 

He was reversing, and the group was closing in. Just as he changed gears, one of them was close enough to touch the trunk. But vehicle vs foot, vehicle will win. He managed to speed away just as another one was able to touch the car trunk.

 

 

Sunbin on the other hand, had her eyes closed and her ears savouring the silence in the car. When Joon Young’s adreline died down, he blurted out “Waaa, I always get chased around by women because they love me a lot but never in my life would I have thought I’d get chased down by an angry bunch like that.”

 

 

Despite her closed eyes and strained voice due to exhaustion, Sunbin grunted, “You seem like a good man but you really like to brag huh?”

 

 

Joon Young turned to her then. He saw her pained expression and got worried. “Are you okay?”

 

 

“Twenty minutes.”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“Just please be quiet for twenty minutes. I haven’t slept for I don’t know how long.”

 

 

“Oh.”

 

 

And then it was quiet. He drove around because he wasn’t sure where to take her. He looked at the clock, it has been twenty-five minutes since she asked him to be quiet. She fell asleep. And he didn’t want to wake her up. She seemed so exhausted. And she’s finally getting the sleep she needed.

 

 

He pulled up in a parking lot at Han River. And just spent a minute or two admiring her beauty as she slept. There was not malice or whatsoever. Just plain admiration. Her beauty and even her brief display of character back at the club. An angel but has her devilish tendencies. He doesn’t know what caused the fight between her and the group of girls back there but he got how she displayed some fierceness despite it being 1 vs 6.  She’s a force to be reckoned with. He’s drawn to her. More than drawn.  He fell in love at first sight.

 

***

Sunbin woke up to the blazing sun. She felt like she was being cooked. Stretching, she noticed she wasn’t in the car anymore. Immediately alert, she sat up and looked around and she noticed she was in a room. A room. ‘Damn it. What happened.’

 

 

She desperately looked for answers in her brain but none would come. She looked down and noticed she’s still wearing the clothes she wore before. Now she can eliminate one thought in her mind. She looked around for signs and finally she found a folded piece of paper on the bedside table.

 

 

She read it.

 

 

“Sunbin-ssi. This is Joon Young. If you’re reading this, that means I’ve already left for work. I brought you to my house because I didn’t know where to take you. You seemed so tired so I didn’t wake you up. Even as I carried you up, you didn’t budge. Don’t worry, I didn’t do anything else to you. I’m your knight in shining armor now remember?

 

P.S. Please call the number once you’re awake so I can at least know you are still are alive and breathing.

 

P.P.S. The phone beside this paper is your phone. I took the one in your pocket last night. Our phones got switched in the airport. I ought to tell you yesterday night but you fell asleep.

 

P.P.P.S. Don’t forget to call me.

 

P.P.P.P.S. I swear I didn’t do anything else.

 

 

Joon Young :]

 

 

She breathe out, surprised and slightly not believing the situation. She didn’t expect sleeping in a stranger’s – a  man at that – house on her first night in Korea. ‘Sunbin ah, what’s wrong with you?’ she scolded herself but there was a small smile in her lips as her hands trace Joon Young’s signed name.