Memory Uncovered

Siren Savior

   He’d awoken in the middle of the night with a start, it was two days since their last date. Bits and pieces of the trauma had begun recollection in Hongbin’s mind as of late. He could remember the warmth of a body, someone had rescued him. He could remember now, that’s where the song in his head came from.

   Whoever saved him had a lovely voice. He felt a pang of guilt for recalling other lips on his own, for having these thoughts for his savior. What would Melody think of this? It all happened before they’d met, he thought, but he was a loyal man and valued honesty.

   After the following lesson, ending earlier due to clouds overhead signaling stormy fall weather, he’d decide to voice his thoughts. He sat by Melody under the shade of the tall lifeguard tower, lacing their fingers together, as her head came to rest on his shoulder.

“Mel?” She glanced over at him. “I um… I’ve remembered some things about you know, that night.” Her eyes went wide, with him assuming it was just shock or worry, and with her fearing for her secret. “I think someone saved me, it was like some memories came back while I slept. I recall being carried, and I recall lips, CPR probably. I heard singing, of that I’m finally sure. I’ve had this song of sorts stuck in my head ever since, but it’s an unfamiliar language.”

   Melody felt hot and cold all at once, paling at his words. Perhaps he had been conscious when she’d “kissed” him. But then that would mean she may really have imprinted on him.. and the panic surged through her once more. Oh, just when she’d finally thought she could be happy. Her mother had given her a book with information, written in special code should anyone stumble upon it. A symptom of imprinting had been known as Siren Spell. Your chosen mate would have your voice engraved in their mind, completely enthralled by you. Would it still count if he couldn’t remember it was her? Was it mortal love or nothing more than a spell?

   Hongbin wrapped his arms around her, thinking she was affected by the tale more by jealousy. He’d whispered promises of his love for her, that he never wished to kiss anyone but her, yet she couldn’t stop the tears and he wouldn’t know why. Hongbin attempted to ask what was the matter, fretting the tale made her upset. She contemplated telling him once and for all, before he figured it out himself. Rather than tell, she decided to show.. at the risk of it all.

   Melody began to sing in the deserted pool, sang her heart out as the song unfolded before his eyes. Melody had been the one who’d saved him? Had she known it was him all along? The song was unrecognizable of course, it was the Song of the Sirens. It was in the mermaid language, unlike any heard by humans, a dreamy incantation in comparison. The song she had sung that night was Siren Savior, a healing spell. Mermaids in lore were known for luring sailors with their voice and dragging them underwater until they’d drown. But it’s a lesser known fact different songs have different effects, like the one she’d used to save and revive poor Hongbin.

   Whilst singing, she didn’t realize she’d walked off, stepping off the concrete and landing herself in the water with a splash. Hongbin reached out to help but it was no use, she’d fallen in. Her musical encounter ended up revealing more than planned however, when she resurfaced in a shell bra. Hongbin’s jaw nearly on the floor, he leaned in to make sure he wasn’t dreaming. Her tail was glowing in the moonlight as she swam to meet him at the border. He sat by the edge and leaned forward, gaping and in utter awe.

   As far as Melody was concerned, it was a great reaction. So screaming and running, instead looking at her like she was precious, making her heart flutter. He leaned in further for a kiss, taking her by surprise, nevertheless kissing back, rocking her tail to keep herself upright.

“So.. you’re the one who saved me? D-Did you.. I mean.. Had you always known?” She bit her lip before answering truthfully.

“Yes, I knew. That’s why I stared at you like you’d grown a second head before our first lesson. I decided that if you didn’t remember, my secret was safe. So why bring it up?” Exhausted, Hongbin had to help hoist Melody out of the water, being mindful enough to wrap a towel around her tail. “I understand if you’re no longer interested in dating me, I’m not fully human, it can be weird. But if you’d like to learn more..” He sprung at the chance.

   “N-No! I mean.. I meant what I said, Melody, I love you. Scales or not you’re still the girl who helped me through aa rough patch, showed compassion and wit. You pushed me to be better and hell I didn’t even care if you called me Fishy. I just, I hope I can be as helpful and caring to you as you’ve been to me. I’d love to learn more about you.. if you’d let me.” Her turn to jaw-drop.

“I love you too, Hongbin.”

   After she’d dried off and managed to fit in his car, she invited him to her home, to be able to teach him comfortably. She explained all of it, everything she knew, she found it so freeing to be able to talk to someone about this. She’d even explained the imprinting to him, and why she’d doubted his feelings. He assured her that no matter how great she sang, he hadn’t been conscious or “willing”, therefore he was genuine.

   The only problem that arose was she was still stuck with a tail, and they’d kissed. You guessed it, another full moon. She’d become too careless around him, a love struck puppy with dreams of a normal life. They sat together on her couch, Hongbin flipped through the book as Melody translated its contents. According to one page, they were meant to have a form of birthmark on one another only the other could see, if the imprinting had completed. His eyes scoured her body, the glow nowhere to be found.. unless it was under her tail? She shyly did the same to him after he’d stripped down a bit, allowing her to gently run her fingers over his built form. A gentle smile graced his features at her hesitation, soon taking her hand in his own and placing a kiss on it.

   She attempted initiating a kiss this time, with him meeting her halfway, but somewhere during their little makeout session, our scaly heroine had regained her legs once more. It wasn’t until they’d parted she’d noticed she was merely in her underwear, letting out a squeal of shock and covering herself with a nearby blanket.

“Mel, it’s fine, I’ve seen you in your swimsuits and your shells. You have nothing to hide, beautiful.” As sweet as his words were, she was inexperienced and understandably afraid, even if his intentions were pure. Hongbin picked up his shirt, placing it over her small frame, drinking in the sight. It was when his eyes fell to the hem he’d noticed something. “Look, your thigh! There’s a blue shell glowing!”