Chapter 2

Sânoraș: The Vampire World (Temporary hiatus)

Hongbin stepped out of the portal and glanced around the place which he stepped into. Similar to the alleyway, the place was pitch black, with only candles dimly lighting the way.

"Where am I?" he wondered. This didn't look like anywhere in the neighborhood which he was so familiar with. He walked towards the ancient-looking stone walls that were still in good condition. A few portraits were hung on the wall. Judging by the huge amount of jewellery, he guessed that the people in those portraits were of royalty or something. 

Just then, he caught a glimpse of movement.

"Who's there?" he called out, turning around to try to catch the movement again. But there was no longer any trace of it.

"I was hoping to catch you by surprise but looks like you caught me, human," a clear voice said. A male stepped out of the darkness and into the light. Hongbin must say that he looked really attractive, with slightly tanned skin and dark hair. Small pieces of gemstones adorned at the top right corner of his black blazer. His white shirt and black pants complemented the blazer. But what really stood out was the unusual golden eyes.

"Who are you?" Hongbin questioned.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that? You're the one who trepassed," the male countered, revealing fangs momentarily. Hongbin gulped. He did not need to be told what the other was. 

"Congratulations, Hongbin. You have just met someone worse than a robber," he thought. Despite his fear, he stood his ground.

"Sorry about that. In my defence, I was trying to avoid getting killed by a robber so I went into the portal," he explained, attempting to keep his shaky voice steady. The vampire looked at him, amused. The human was afraid of him, yet he chose to put up a brave front. How interesting.

Before Hongbin knew what was happening, the vampire disappeared and materialised in front him. A tingly sensation coursed through his body as the vampire touched his chin, murmuring, "What a fascinating human you are. I like you."

"The name's Hongbin, not just some human," he retorted. The male let go of him and stepped back.

"My apologies," he bowed before continuing, "And where are my manners? I'm Hakyeon, Prince of Sânoraș, the Vampire World. Please to meet your acquaintance."

"P...prince?" Hongbin gagged, even though there was nothing to choke on. Hakyeon nodded.

"You heard that right. I believe you have seen the portraits, yes? The people in the portraits are predecessors of my father," he said calmly. Hongbin could only nod in response.

"Anyway, it's nice to meet you too but I got to go back now," he said, a little too quickly, once he recovered from his shock. He turned around, only to find the portal nowhere in sight. He turned back to face Hakyeon.

"What did you do to the portal?" he demanded. He didn't care if Hakyeon was possibly stronger or more agile than him -- he would strangle the vampire if he was responsible for the disappearance of the portal.

"Nothing. The portal will vanish and reappear a year later once someone steps into it," Hakyeon replied matter-of-factly.

"C...can't you conjur up the portal or something?" Hongbin stammered.

"My family and I don't have the power to break the spell that creates the portal, sadly. It is too strong," Hakyeon shrugged. Hongbin wobbled a little, stunned by the revelation. So he had escaped a robber only to get stuck in the Vampire World for a year. The vampire prince looked at him as though he was watching an entertaining show. The shock look on Hongbin's face really fascinated him. He waited patiently for the human to grasp the current situation before carrying on, "Since you don't have any place to stay, you might as well stay here until the portal appears again."

"Alright," Hongbin agreed in a resigned voice. 

"It's settled then. Give me your hand," Hakyeon beckoned. Hongbin gazed at him in puzzlement but obediently gave Hakyeon his hand. A stinging sensation burned in his hand just then, causing Hongbin to wince. The pain was gone as quickly as it had come and a star-shaped symbol with a circle enclosing it became visible on his hand. A pentacle. He looked at Hakyeon questioningly.

"It's the symbol of the vampire community. The other vampires would most likely accept you if they see that you're part of them. I can't promise that you won't be attacked by the minority that may refuse to accept you though," Hakyeon explained, showing his hand to Hongbin. It had the same symbol as well.

"Understood," Hongbin nodded, grateful for the protection symbol even though it wasn't exactly a guarantee chop.

"Now that that's done, let's go to the throne and meet the king and queen. Otherwise known as my parents," Hakyeon said and began making his way to the throne room, vanishing and reappearing as he did so. Hongbin watched, amazement never leaving his face. He couldn't deny that the male's agility was very impressive. Still in awe, he followed behind.

 

 


I'm back with another chapter (after quite a while)! Hope you guys like it! ^-^