Chapter 1 - Abandoned

Artificial Love

"Shayne, are you sure about this one?" I asked my best friend as we drove towards the north where an abandoned “place” stands, 292.044 miles away from our house. "We've explored different abandoned places and so far there's nothing interesting in this trip," I added. She hushed me while she was checking the flashlights.

She picked up my bag and checked what's inside. "You BROUGHT flares?" she asked while she's holding the two flares in both hands. I'm not sure if she was amazed or pissed. "For what reason? I mean, you're aware that we're going to an abandoned ," she told me but I continue to drive.

"Ah, that? I just thought maybe we would need one. Remember the last time we went to an abandoned building and the flashlights weren't working even if they're fully charged and we ended up not going inside because according to you, it's a haunted establishment."

She rolled her eyes as she lowered the window beside her. "You know Aeri, I’ve heard some stories about that place.” She put on her shades as she fixed her hair. “It gave me goosebumps. I didn’t knew it was all true!”

“Are you sure we’re going the right way?” I asked while looking at an isolated place. “This is like a desert. How did you know this place?”

She was looking from left to right with a wide smile on her face. “We’re almost there!” she exclaimed as she clapped her hands. “Remember last summer? My parents invited me to a trip? They were at the beach already but I got lost in the sand dunes? I thought I was going to the sand dunes but—”

“But?”

“But I saw a warehouse in the middle of nowhere. I entered but ended up trapped after winds blew hard that day. Oh! And I saw something interested! OH STOP HERE!” she exclaimed and as soon as I did, she stepped out of the car. I saw her running towards the left side where a stake stood. “I wonder why no one ever dares to live here.”

A wind blew so hard that I even felt the car shift. “The hell?” I grabbed my important things before stepping out of our Camry. “Should I put parking blocks under the tires?”

“You should. The last time I’ve been here I saw my car ten meters from the place where I parked it.”

I nodded my head in response and walked towards the car’s trunk and picked up the blocks. “I don’t see any warehouse nearby. Where’s that place you were talking about?” I asked after making sure that our car’s safe.

“Well, we’re walking for ten minutes towards west. Somewhere in the middle, we can find the warehouse.”

We started walking and I could tell we’re walking too fast because within five minutes, our car’s out of sight already. “Wait, is this the place you’ve told me before? The one with circles?”

“Yeah. Actually, you’re walking inside the circle.”

“WHAT?”

“Yeah. It’s not obvious but you are walking inside the biggest circle.” I shook my head in disbelief but she nodded with a huge smile plastered on her face. “Trust me. Oh! Here’s the other stake!” she yelled as she dropped on the ground and removing the sand from something. “Well, help me here, idiot!”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Fine.” So, I did helped her and found a metallic door. “How did you found this?” I asked her, amused with what she found during her vacation.

“When I found this, I saw the lid. It wasn’t covered with sand. Then all of a sudden, strong winds blew.”

“Yeah, yeah. You’re telling me the same story. Do you need help?” I asked her as she lifts the lid. The sound of a rusty entrance hinge erupted, followed by howling wind.

“GET INSIDE OR YOU’LL DIE!” Shayne shrieked as she pulled my feet. I don’t know how I did but I manage to get my hand safe from the loud slam of the door. “It’s dark. This is unusual.”

“What do you mean unusual?” I asked her while get both my feet safely on the ground. “And you didn’t tell me that we’re going in a basement.”

“This is unusual,” she said before switching on the flashlight. However, the light started to flicker. “This is unusual.”

I rolled my eyes. “Use the flare,” I told her. She took the flare from my bag and we both looked away as she lit up the flare. “Lucky I brought one, don’t you think?” I said as gave her the ‘told-you-so’ look.

“Don’t brag.”

“I won’t.” As we walk more, I found some rare things. This is similar to the one I have in my room. “Is this a laboratory?” I asked her.

“Yeah! A hidden one! I didn’t explore the inner most part tho. That’s why I decided to visit this place again, with you!” she exclaimed. “I just wish we could light up this place.”

I searched for a switch. “I found something that could probably light up this place.”

“What is it?”

“A fingerprint scanner. This would probably activate the lights and more.” I grabbed my bag and fished out my pouch bag.

“You’re an absolute geek,” she pointed out.

“I’m just prepared.” I brushed some baby powder on the glass scanner before putting on a clear tape then pressing my own finger. A green light scanned the fingerprint. “VOILA!” I exclaimed after hearing a beep.

The basement started to gleam until the last light was . “Wow!” Shayne said, amused.

Welcome Blaze.

“That’s wow. A female voice? It’s like siri!” she added. I scanned the room and saw some displayed clock, biometrics, beeping sounds. “Aeri… look!” she pointed inside the door she opened.

“What is it?” I asked.

“You better come look!” she exclaimed before she entered. However, the place started to shook. “WHAT’S HAPPENING?”

I ran towards her to pull her out but as I peeked inside, I saw a man peacefully lying on a metallic bed. The place is surrounded with UV lights. “Shayne! Get out of that place!” I warned her. “That man’s probably dead!”

“He’s not! He’s still alive!” she retorted before groaning. “M-My eyes hurts…”

“SHAYNE! GET OUT! IT CAN CAUSE CANCER IF YOU STAY THERE LONGER!”

“No, we must save him! He’s still alive!”

I groaned before I took a deep breath. “Fine! But go out first!”

“Wait… I’ll just remove this ties.” I could sense that her body is already weak. The earthquake’s not helping either! Some of the things outside were crashing.

“Shayne, save yourself first.”

“NO! H-HELP ME OUT…” she stuttered before she completely fell on the ground.

“SHAYNE!”

“S-Save… S-Save him…” she whispered before she took her last breath. I looked at the guy lying on the bed. I ran fast and dragged him towards the exit. I looked around to find something that could help me bring him up. In one corner, I saw a harness and slid it in his legs. The tremors became stronger.

After pulling him up, he landed on me. The strong winds started to simmer down but the tremors didn’t stop. The lid was shut and it was burried on the ground.

“SHAYNE!” I screamed. All of a sudden, it felt like the wind blew hard that it pushed me hard from the lid to the car. The guy’s head was still lying on my lap.

“HEY YOU! WAKE UP! OPEN YOUR EYES!” I shook the guy’s shoulder while tears continuously stream down my cheeks. “BECAUSE OF YOU MY BEST FRIEND DIED! BECAUSE OF YOU I LOST HER! WAKE UP!”

I was in hysterics. “SHE SACRIFICED HER LIFE FOR YOU TO LIVE! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!” I screamed but he didn’t.

My phone suddenly buzz and her name flashed the screen. Is this some kind of a joke?

I opened her message.

First of all, I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you the full information about the abandoned place we’re going to. It was a basement I found almost a year ago. Yes, a year. I receive a message from Dr. Blaze, saying I need to save the guy I saw in his laboratory. Don’t ask how he managed to contact me because I don’t know either. Second, if ever I die, don’t cry. I know it’s painful for you but don’t cry. Your tears won’t bring me back to life. Third, for our friendship’s sake, take care of that guy. I know you’re into science and your room looks almost the same as the laboratory. So… observe him. Okay? I love you so much Aeri. I’m sorry if I have to leave you alone. I love you.

I wiped the tears from my eyes and glared at the guy on my lap. “I hate you,” I muttered before gathering my strength to put him at the backseat.

As I entered the driver’s seat, I sighed.

What would I tell her parents?