Behind your voice

Naive, naive RAKEN VIXX fanfiction

 

"H-Hakyeon-hyung, let me explain."

"YOU BETTER."

Wonshik leaned carefully against the kitchen counter behind as he watched over the elder's phone call with dark, low eyes. He felt a bit odd. Angry? No, not that. Rather, more regretful and cringy? Something within the lines of "what-the-hell-did-I-just-do-I-ruined-everything"?

He sighed. He had been too rash, too impatient when he chose to embrace the elder in such a way. To make Jaehwan accept his offer would be harder now, wouldn't it? Although... It didn't seem like Jaehwan had hated his actions either. Maybe it even felt the opposite from that. Like Jaehwan had melted willingly, steadily under Wonshik's touch and like he in the end, before they got disturbed – had been right on the verge to even beg for more. But then again, maybe this was just wishful thinking from Wonshik's side.

He raised his gaze and quietly noted that Jaehwan cheeks were slightly red and that his eyes looked oddly dewy; although it was hard to spot in the honey-toned lightning. The sensation was flickering, there one second and gone the next. A few centimeters away, by Jaehwan's right ear, he had his phone squeezed close as he spoke nervously through the line. Seemingly, he was spitting a mix of excuses and answers to regular questions asking things like how he'd been or if he'd been eating properly.

Wonshik also noticed how Jaehwan's finger would occasionally move, tap randomly from time to time onto the hard surface the phone provided and it made him feel almost a bit alerted that the elder would drop the device. That it would break into a thousand pieces as and if, it met the cold hard judgment beneath.

Actually, maybe something inside of Wonshik wished for it to happen. It was an odd thought – no, it was probably just childish as hell. But Wonshik wanted Jaehwan to look at him again, turn away from the phone. From talking to this "Hakyeonnie-hyung~" in a voice that the younger was sure of that Jaehwan only used to people he was close with. A warm, familiar tone. Clearly way beyond just dropping the honorifics.

"H-How the audition went?"

Wonshik's ears sharpened and Jaehwan seemed to almost notice that as he met, although briefly, the younger's gaze for just a split second before turning away.

"It went... Okay, I guess..." Jaehwan's tone weakened, making him almost whisper out the words.

Wonshik smirked, which did make him feel slightly twisted but he couldn't help it. He kind of liked the thought that Jaehwan had lied to the one he was on the phone with as well as the thought that Wonshik was the one between the two of them who knew the truth.

But then he mentally slapped himself. It was too much of a petty thing to be happy about. Besides, even Wonshik himself didn't know his real intentions for Jaehwan yet – although he only earlier today had thought he did. Now, he just knew that the interest he had for elder somehow seemed to go far beyond the limit of what counted as professional. Long story short, Wonshik hadn't expected to feel as attracted to Jaehwan as he did.

Meanwhile, the elder's voice continued, "There's not much to tell really... I went up, introduced myself and sang for them."

"There were a lot of talented people there."

"I'm not sure if I'll get in..."

"Yeah, thanks."

"If they were nice...? Well..."

Hesitation filled the air and Wonshik really couldn't help but to feel slightly offended as Jaehwan's gaze now, once again shifted his way. But then he quietly admitted that he really hadn't been the kindest earlier today when they'd first met. Wonshik did have his reasons and goal though so now he just shrugged and Jaehwan's shoulder sunk slightly in response. They unstiffened, as if he'd just been granted permission to tell the truth.

"There was this one guy who was scary." He admitted.

It would be a lie to say that Hakyeon still didn't feel worried out of his mind when the phone call with Jaehwan ended after a good 20 minutes of talking.

The younger's voice had been slightly unstable, hadn't it? His tone had been hesitant, right? But he wouldn't be lying, would he? And the most important question of all – he wasn't shivering with regret all by himself right now, was he? Hakyeon tugged on his lower lip. He was anxious. Ever since Jaehwan had left, he'd been like that. Like he didn't quite know what to do with himself.

Actually, Hakyeon had wanted to go to Seoul with the younger from the beginning, move there and live together; but the topic had never really been brought up by anyone. At its best, it had floated awkwardly in the air at times, both around Jaehwan, family and friends. Maybe, it was because everyone knew that Hakyeon had his own things to take care of here in their hometown. Things that weren't mentioned so easily. Like his sick mother that seemed to get worse each day and like helping out his father in their small shop selling sewing-material. The business hadn't gone that well in the last couple of years so Hakyeon helping really meant a lot. Both his parents needed their son.

Hakyeon sighed and sat down on his soft hairy carpet, his back resting against his bed. His chin rose slightly, just enough for his eyes to meet with the sight of the dark-themed poster a few meters ahead on the wall. Watching that, Hakyeon cracked a small smile and reached for his phone to put on some music. Jung Taekwoon. His voice always made Hakyeon feel better. It soothed him, made his heart feel a peace. Made his desires and frustrations calm down, shrink; until they were nothing. At least that's what it felt like.

Hakyeon's eyes wandered to soon stick to the gaze displayed on the poster. From under long black bangs, perfectly trimmed eyebrows and something that seemed like a sea of dark glitter – the eyes looked out over Hakyeon's room. Taekwoon did. Coldly, sternly. So much that it looked lonely in a way. However, to his defense, the concept for that particular album had been dark as well.

Actually, cold concepts seemed to be all Taekwoon ever did. Never had Hakyeon heard him sing a single line about warm love and two people successfully meeting in all their loving glory. He found himself wondering why. And from that, Hakyeon also found himself wondering what Taekwoon's eyes would look like in real life. If they would be as cold as they seemed through screens and posters.

According to fanbases and fangirls who followed him around everywhere to take pictures, he just looked cool. It was his character. Hakyeon sighed. I guess no one really thinks about the look in his eyes when he's handsome and cool all over.

His head fell back onto the soft bed behind and he felt his eyes slowly start to close themselves. Like that, his mind stubbornly searched itself back to worry. Back to Jaehwan. And Hakyeon sincerely wished, hoped – that everything would go alright for the younger. For his best friend, for his always unrequited love.

He smiled aimlessly as he felt his chest clench in distant longing and then swallowed back some saliva, finding it almost painful as it went down his still crooked neck. He felt empty, exhausted.

I want to see you.

"So about the offer..." Wonshik stirred nervously around with his spoon in his teacup, his course of sight slightly bending but nonetheless, he kept them on the elder before him, "I'll be frank -- I want to train you and make you a star."

Jaehwan almost spat his mouthful of tea out but managed to successfully swallow it down in the last second, "W-what?"

What did he just say? Jaehwan shifted uneasily on his chair. This was all so sudden. After the phone call with Hakyeon had ended earlier, they had made tea together in heavy silence and then they'd both sat down across each other by the small dining table near the corner. And now, Wonshik had just said something Jaehwan didn't know how to melt. Make him a star?

"Does that mean I passed the audition?" Jaehwan questioned, eyes hopeful to which the younger smiled.

"Not quite."

"Then what?"

Wonshik leaned back in his chair and drew briefly with his fingertips over his hot teacup as he spoke, "... You'll be training directly under me, I'll get you a special contract with details until tomorrow. Okay?"

He his lower lip discreetly, surely thinking that Jaehwan would ask more, question everything, be suspicious – especially seeing what happened earlier today. However, it didn't happen. Jaehwan just nodded happily with a vague blush spreading under the frame of his glasses and out across his cheeks. His behaviour made Wonshik frown but then he figured that it was because he had already established his identity earlier today that his offer had been so easily accepted.

But really, even that reason seemed a bit thin for Jaehwan to just agree to anything he'd say without question. Could it be that the elder was greedier for fame than what Wonshik first had thought?

I'll know soon enough.

"We start tomorrow at 10 by the mall near Apgujeong station."