all i wanna do is to fall in deep

smoke, mirrors

Amber doesn’t know how it happened.

 

It started with a friend’s photography project then the next thing she knows, her face is on an exhibit and Kim Heechul, the CEO of FreshFace, is personally scouting her to be a model. Now, four months, a bunch of photoshoots, and two music videos as a love interest later, she’s in California for an editorial spread in Vogue. Well, she’s not really the focal point of the shoot because she’s paired with a senior from the agency who’s practically a supermodel already. Still, how is everything happening so fast? She barely had the chance to let it sink that this is what she’s doing now. Everything is lost in a flurry of clothes and makeup and too bright flashes.

 

She arrives at the set fifteen minutes early, coffee in hand and her manager, Donghae, talking to someone on his phone. She’s ushered to makeup and wardrobe and she takes a deep breath to calm her nerves. Donghae had told her to just enjoy the shoot and that her partner is very professional and she’s in good hands. But still, the nerves are there and no amount of pep talk can change the fact that this shoot can make or break her career.

 

Henry Lau arrives ten minutes before the shoot starts and everyone around her starts fussing - a very clear indication that yes, the star of the shoot has arrived. Amber has not met him personally before but she knows that he’s very popular in the industry, practically sees his face in fashion magazines everywhere. He’s not very tall and his face is not as sculpted as the other male models in their agency but what he lacks in those areas, he makes up with his overflowing charisma and versatility. His piercing eyes have won the fashion industry over. Amber has never been more intimidated her whole life.

 

Donghae comes up behind her and squeezes her shoulder, smiling. “You’re gonna be fine, kid.”

 

Amber takes another deep breath. In, out. “Let’s hope.”


 

Amber had expected that there would be a lot touching in the shoot but what she didn’t expect is for it to be so...intimate.

 

“Amber, can you move a bit closer, please?” The photographer asks.

 

Closer? She can’t be anymore closer to him. She’s practically standing between his legs! She sighs internally and maneuvers herself to sit on his lap, hoping to God he won’t push her off. But like Donghae said, he’s a professional, and he shifts his position from the hood of the mustang that they’re currently sitting on and holds her by the waist, resting his chin on her shoulder.

 

“Tell me if you’re getting uncomfortable.” Henry whispers and Amber tries not to shiver as she gives him a nod.

 

“Perfect!” The photographer exclaims as presses the shutter, taking multiple shots.

 

Amber relaxes enough to lean against Henry, turning her head to the side, her lips ghosting over the side of his head. The photographer yells another Perfect! followed by multiple flashes that temporarily blinds her.

 

They take a few more shots like that before they’re instructed to move inside the car and Amber almost chokes when they tell her to straddle Henry in the driver’s seat. Henry doesn’t seem to be bothered at least one bit, opening the car and climbing in, reclining the seat a little to give her more space. Amber looks up and catches Donghae giving her a firm nod and mouthing ‘fighting!’ to her. She takes a deep breath before climbing in, positioning herself on top of Henry. She knows she’s starting to flush (it’s not everyday that you get to be on top of a Very Attractive guy) and she tries to prevent it by slipping off her leather jacket up until her elbows, her muscle tee underneath perfectly showing off her tattoos. She hears the photographer shouts in delight and she notices Henry eyeing the visible tattoos on her arm. She’s almost expecting for him to comment on them but he doesn’t, grabbing her by the waist instead. She places her hands on his chest and leans forward a little bit, eyes meeting his signature piercing stare. She wills herself not to look away, gradually understanding why the fashion industry couldn’t get enough of those eyes.

 

Several outfit and location changes later, they’re done for the day and Amber could finally breathe. She did it. She survived her first major shoot and the photographer seemed pleased. Well, at least she hopes he is. Donghae comes up to her with a huge grin.

 

“I knew you’d do a great job, kid.” he grins, handing her a bottle of water which Amber gladly takes.

 

“I’m just glad it’s over.” she mumbles before taking a sip of the water.

 

“You sure?” Donghae smirks. “You seemed pretty cozy with Henry.”

 

“Shut up.” She shoves him, glaring. “If he hears you, I’m going to strangle you.”

 

Donghae chuckles, putting his hands up in surrender. “You better go back to wardrobe and change.”

 

Amber shoves him again before going back to her dressing room to change to her normal clothes. She stumbles on Henry talking with someone on the phone on the way there and she stops for a second, wondering if she should come over and say something. But considering that he’s her senior both in the agency and the industry, it would be rude not to so she gathers all her courage and walks over to him, hearing a small bit of the conversation he’s having.

 

“I’ll be home tomorrow, I promise.” She hears him say and she could almost hear his grin. “I love you, too. Okay, bye.”

 

A  girlfriend, perhaps? It’s not like it’s her business or anything. She’s not interested.

 

Curious, maybe, but definitely not interested.

 

Henry hangs up and turns around, jumping slightly when he sees Amber there and she smiles nervously at him.

 

“Hey,” She starts. “Good job today.”

 

Henry gives him a nod, pocketing his phone. “Thanks. You, too. I understand why Heechul scouted you.”

 

Amber takes notice of the lack of honorifics for their agency president and manages to be coherent enough to say thanks because how else would you react when a supermodel compliments you.

 

“Henry, are you done?” Amber looks behind his shoulder and sees a guy she remembers as Zhou Mi, who was with Kim Heechul when he was scouting her, jogs over to them. “You still have an interview for Buzzfeed, come on.” He claps him on the shoulder, eyes landing on Amber and he grins.

 

“Oh, hey, Amber!” Zhou Mi greets. “You did awesome today! George loved you!”

 

Amber blushes, scratching the back of her neck. “Thank you.”

 

“Well, we better get going. Tell Donghae I said hi.” Zhou Mi grins at her one last time before leading Henry out of the hall. She watches them leave and a small part of her wishes that Henry would look back. But he didn’t.


 

Amber is honestly not interested. She’s just curious.

 

Curious enough to look for him in the agency party that Heechul’s hosting for his cat’s birthday (a month into being in his agency, Amber learned that Heechul could do anything he wants and no one would question it, no matter how absurd they were). She’s been scanning the crowd for fifteen minutes, mindlessly drinking a mocktail but still no sign of his quiet intensity and sharp eyes.

 

“He’s not gonna come, you know.” Amber looks up from her drink and sees Krystal raising an amused eyebrow at her. Krystal is her first friend in the agency and despite her cold looks and immense popularity, she’s surprisingly mellow. And apparently, very perceptive.

 

“I don’t know who you’re talking about.” Amber lies, taking a sip of her drink.

 

Krystal rolls her eyes. “You’ve been asking me about Henry ever since you two did that Vogue shoot.”

 

“I was just curious.”

 

“Right, and I’m totally not going to sneak out with Jongin later.” Kim Jongin, famously known as Kai, her equally famous boyfriend. A couple so pretty, it hurts to look at them. “Anyways, he never attends agency parties. Or parties, in general. At least until four years ago. I don’t know what happened.”

 

“People seem to eat up that mysterious image, though.” Including me, Amber admits embarrassingly to herself.

 

Krystal nods in agreement, taking a sip of her own drink before a pair of arms snake around her waist and Jongin’s already dragging her away. Amber sighs and sips her drink. Maybe she should leave, too. She’s sure as hell Heechul’s cat won’t mind. That cat never liked her anyways.


 

She doesn’t stumble upon Henry until one and a half weeks later. She’s doing a shoot in a studio in the agency and went to the rooftop for a break when she sees him there, leaning against the railing and staring blankly up the sky and she thinks that it’s almost unfair how he can look so good without having to do anything.

 

“Mind if I join?” Amber asks cautiously.

 

Henry looks at her and his eyeliner is smudge, making his eyes look even more intense. Amber wonders if he knows the effect it has on people. “No, go ahead.”

 

Amber smiles and stands beside him, bracing herself against the railings, looking down at the city below her. “Do you come here a lot?”

 

“Only when I feel like it.” He says with a shrug. He reaches at his back pocket, fishing out a box of cigarettes and putting one between his teeth. Amber shakes her head when he offers her one and just watches when he lights the cigarette and blows a smoke with a sigh, leaning back against the railings again, eyes trained to the sky. The smoke diffuses around him and Amber feels like she’s watching art in motion because no one could look that beautiful with smoke coming out of their mouth. Amber is thoroughly fascinated.

 

Henry’s phone rings and she snaps out of reverie, blinking as he answers the call.

 

“Hello?” he answers. “Yeah, yeah. I’m coming, calm down, Zhou Mi.” he hangs up the phone with a sigh, throwing his cigarette on the ground before stubbing it with his foot. “I’ll see you around, Amber.”

 

Amber hopes to God that she will.



 

“Amber, you free today?”

 

Amber looks up from her phone and sees Heechul in front of her, grinning, and she knows that he wants something from her.

 

“Um, I guess?” Amber shrugs. “I just finished a shoot.”

 

Heechul claps in delight, still grinning. “Great! I need you to go to Henry’s place right now and get the clothes that he wore for the Louis Vuitton shoot he did few days ago.”

 

“Wait, what?”

 

“Here’s the address.” Heechul slips a small piece of paper in her hand and claps her on the back before leaving her there, staring at the paper and wanting the ground to swallow her whole. Going to his place unannounced is probably not a good idea but she doesn’t know his phone number so she sighs and hops on her car, feeling like she’s going to have a heart attack any minute.

 

He lives in what looks like a very expensive apartment building (she doesn’t expect anything less from a supermodel) and she takes a deep breath before going in. She takes the elevator to the 15th floor, reciting his door number as she walks in the hallway. She finds his unit and takes a deep breath, bracing herself, before pressing the doorbell. When no one answers a few moments later, she presses it again until finally, she hears his voice on the intercom.

 

“Amber? What are you doing here?” Amber gulps. He doesn’t sound too thrilled to see her on his doorstep.

“Um, Heechul sent me?” she answers, wiping her clammy hands on the side of her jeans. “He wants that Louis Vuitton outfit.”

 

She hears a sigh before the door opens and Henry stands there with messy hair, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a tank top and Amber wills herself not to stare too much.

 

“Come in.” He says with an exasperated sigh.

 

“No, I’m good.”

 

“Look, if my neighbors see you, they’re gonna start assuming things and I rather not have that happen.”

 

Amber winces. “Right, I’m sorry.”

 

Henry opens the door wider and lets her in and the first thing she notices is a baby grand piano at the side of the living room.

 

“Wait here, I’ll go get it.” He says and Amber nods at him but before he can run back to his room, she sees a little girl emerging from one of the rooms, yawning and dragging a pink stuffed bunny behind her.

 

“Papa, I’m hungry.” she says, walking towards Henry and tugging his hand.

 

Wait a minute. Papa? Does that mean what she think it means?

 

Henry smiles and crouches down at the kid’s level. Amber hasn’t seen him smile ever since she met him and wow, he really should do it more often.

 

“Papa’s just talking to someone at work.” He says gently, still smiling, a completely different person from the one she sees at work. “Can you go wait in the kitchen?”

 

The kid nodded and Henry’s smile widens, kissing her cheek before the little girl runs to the kitchen, still dragging that pink bunny.

 

Amber is about to say something but Henry’s smile drops when he turns back to her. “Wait here.”

 

He disappears to his room and Amber is so confused. Is that Henry’s kid? But how? In all his interviews, he always says that he’s single (not that she checks or anything) and there’s no mention of a kid, whatsoever. A single dad, maybe? But how? She feels like she has to sit down for this.

The little girl comes back from the kitchen and stares at her, big innocent doe eyes, opposite to her father’s piercing ones, boring into hers. Amber tries smiling at her but the kid just blinks and continues to stare. Amber’s starting to get uncomfortable.

 

“Mr. Stuffy wants to know your name.” she finally says, holding the pink bunny in front of her.

 

“Oh, um, my name is Amber.” Amber answers, smiling again and the little girl just stares at her once again.

 

“Hailey, are you bothering her?” Henry comes out of his room carrying a garment bag with a huge Louis Vuitton printed on the front.

 

“No, no. She’s just asking for my name.” Amber says quickly in defense.

 

“Papa, I think Mr. Stuffy likes her.” Hailey whispers but it’s still loud enough for Amber to hear.

 

“Baobei, I think Mr. Stuffy likes everyone.” Henry says with a chuckle.

 

“Nu uh, he doesn’t like Uncle Joonyoung!” the kid whines and Henry laughs, his eyes disappearing into slits and Amber’s heart is doing cartwheels in her chest. She had seen him smile and laugh in a span of two minutes and she might be feeling a little lightheaded.

 

“Here.” Henry hands her the garment bag and Amber takes it with clammy hands.

 

“I should go now.” Amber says awkwardly. “Thanks.”

 

Henry nods and leads her to the door, holding Hailey’s hand and she awkwardly walk behind them. She definitely feels like an intruder.

 

“You shouldn’t let Heechul make you do these kind of things. You’re a model, not an errand girl.” Henry says as he opens the door for her.

 

“It’s fine.” Amber counters. “I’m free anyways.”

 

Henry sighs. “He always does this to newbies. You’re friends with Krystal, right?” Amber nods. “Ask her how to get out of it.”

 

Amber nods again. “Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. I better get going.”

 

“Hold on,” She hears Henry say and she turns back to him expectantly. He steps closer and he smells like a mix of baby powder and pancakes. “Only a few people know about Hailey and I’d really appreciate it if it stays that way.”

 

“Of course.” Amber says, voice going unnaturally high. She blushes and clears . “Of course, your secret’s safe with me.” She winces at how lame that was and squeaks her goodbye, barely hearing Henry saying thank you before walking out of his apartment, face flushed red.

 

Today she learned three things: one, Henry has a kid; two, her curiosity for him may not be just curiosity; and three, she’s ed.


 

Their Vogue spread came out a week later and somewhat caused an uproar. She gained almost a thousand followers on Instagram two hours after it came out and now almost all her posts are bombarded with people asking if she’s dating Henry (Amber did not blush, she swears). Even Krystal called all the way from Milan to tell her that now she knows why she got so curious over Henry. Amber told her to shut up before hanging up. Donghae is probably the happiest over the release because Amber’s suddenly getting more bookings than she usually does.

 

It’s a few days later that Donghae calls at two o’clock in the morning, just as she was about to sleep, screaming nothing coherent on the other line. She’s too sleepy for this, she thinks with a yawn, and wonders if it would be too rude to hang up on her manager.

 

“Kid, you did it!” Donghae shouts on the other line and Amber winces, holding the phone away from her ear before speaking.

 

“What?”

 

“Guess who’s gonna be a part of the new global campaign of Calvin Klein?”

 

Amber’s eyes widen. Well, she’s definitely awake now. “Holy , no way! They picked me?”

 

“Yeah. They really liked the Vogue spread so they want Henry in it, too.”

 

“Really?” Amber grins and she hopes that it doesn’t sound as excited as she thinks it is. She hasn’t spoken or even seen Henry since the accidentally-finding-out-that-he-has-a-kid incident and because she’s a little bit paranoid, it’s natural to think that he must have hated her guts.

 

“Yeah, you guys will go to London for a photo and video shoot on Wednesday so be prepared.”

 

“Okay. Thanks, Donghae.”

 

“Just doing my job. I’m proud of you, kid.”

 

Amber didn’t get any sleep that night and the makeup artist on her shoot the next day tsks at the bags under her eyes.

 

London would be a lot more beautiful if it doesn’t rain a lot.

 

They’re shooting in a loft and Amber has spent the last five minutes watching the rain pour over the city from the couch and trying not to be too self-conscious now that Henry’s just a few feet away from her, wearing nothing but jeans (Calvin Klein, of course) that hangs low on his hips. Amber tugs nervously on the gray hoodie she’s wearing, barely covering her boy shorts (also Calvin Klein), and fidgets when she’s done watching the rain.

 

“Amber, stop that.” Henry looks up from his phone to give her a look while Amber tries not to glance at his upper body.

 

“Sorry.” She mumbles, bringing her knees up to her chest, drumming her fingers against her legs.

 

“They already picked you. Just do what you did in the Vogue shoot and you’ll be fine.” Henry says, tossing his phone to the side and staring (glaring) at her fidgety fingers.

 

“It’s Calvin freaking Klein,” Amber hisses. “If I mess this up, my career is over.”

 

Henry snorts. “Donghae is right, you are a bit of a paranoid.”

 

“Shut up.” Amber considers shoving him but that’ll involve touching and she really can’t do that without blushing so she settles for sticking her tongue out at him.

 

They’re called to the set five minutes later and Amber tries to calm herself by thinking about the buffet table waiting for her during break.

 

The video shoot comes first and they’re instructed to get on the bed. Amber’s brain is already going haywire because them being partially clothed and getting into bed with at least ten people and a camera watching is making her even more nervous.

 

“You really should worry less.” Henry whispers as they walk towards the bed. “It shows on your face when you do.”

 

Amber ignores him and opts to take a deep breath, hoping that she won’t vomit all over the white sheets. She sits beside Henry on the bed as the director gives his instructions and she only half listens as he explains that the concept is a couple’s lazy Sunday morning and that they could do whatever they want. What Amber really wants is to have five more minutes so she could calm the down.

 

She blinks in surprise when Henry suddenly grabs her hand.

 

“Time to work.” He says and apparently, she missed the director yelling ‘action’. She nods and lets him drag her further into the bed, her heart thundering inside her chest.

 

“Relax.” Henry whispers and Amber takes another deep breath, nodding. Henry lays down the bed, patting the space beside him. Amber smiles a little and follows after him, plopping herself on the bed with a chuckle. Henry beckons her to come closer and she wriggles towards him until she’s close enough to see his chest rising and falling as he breathes.

 

“Put your head on my chest. Is that okay?” He whispers again and Amber opts to just do it instead of answering, hoping that they layered enough foundation on her face to cover the blush forming on her cheeks right now. Henry tangles his fingers on her short hair and she responds by scooting closer and draping one leg over his, an arm wrapping around his waist.

 

Maroon 5’s Sunday Morning plays in the background (an incredible cliche, Amber thinks) as they continue with the shoot and she’s finally comfortable enough to make bold moves of her own, looking up at Henry who’s smiling down at her, and bringing a finger up against his lips, returning his smile. Henry kisses the tip of her finger. Amber had to remind herself that this is strictly professional.

 

Amber lifts her head up from his chest, sitting up so she could straddle him and Henry looks up at her, still with a smile on his face, his hands gently caressing her thighs. She tries not to be too aware of the camera moving around them as she leans down and presses her forehead against his, thinking go big or go home.

 

“Is it okay to kiss you?” Amber asks and she feels going dry as her gaze lands on his lips.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Amber closes the gap between them, pressing her lips softly against his and he immediately responds, one hand tangling in her hair and the other disappearing under the hoodie she’s wearing. She tries not to shiver so much at his light touches and the gentle slide of his lips against hers. She pulls away and buries her face on the crook of his neck, feeling him ghost a kiss on the side of her head.

 

The director yells cut, telling them they did wonderful and Amber gets up from the bed and goes over to watch the footage on the small monitor beside the director, Henry trailing behind her. She knows her face is heating up when the kiss comes on the screen and she looks down for a moment to compose herself as the director showers them with compliments.

 

“That was really good, you guys!” He exclaims in glee. “Chemistry is off the charts. We need to do it again, though, from a different angle this time.”

 

Amber groans internally. She really needs to pull herself together.

 

They did the whole thing again except Henry pushes the hoodie up until her mid-back, effectively exposing the Calvin Klein print on her boyshorts, and she gasps a little, accidentally biting on his lip. When the director yells cut, he tells them that was better than the last time and calls for a lunch break, clapping them both on the back.

 

Amber immediately excuses herself to the bathroom to calm the redness of her face (that she hopes wasn’t captured in the camera), moving past Donghae who was asking her what she wants for lunch. She breathes a sigh of relief as she closes the door behind her.

 

“Come on, Amber.” she hisses to herself. “I know he’s attractive but you’re a professional!” She looks at herself in the mirror and slaps herself lightly on the cheeks, taking a deep breath. When she’s calm enough, she walks out of the bathroom and jumps slightly when she sees Henry beside the door.

 

“Oh, were you going to use the bathroom?” she asks. Henry shakes his head and hands her one of the buds of his earphones, holding out his phone in front of her.

 

“Mr. Stuffy wants to see you.” He says under his breath and before Amber could question who Mr. Stuffy was, Hailey comes on the screen of his phone, holding a pink stuffed bunny and that’s when she remembered that he has a daughter and Mr. Stuffy is the bunny.

 

“Hi, Hailey.” she smiles, waving at her. Hailey once again, just stares at her before bringing Mr. Stuffy closer to the camera. “Hi, Mr. Stuffy.”

 

Hailey brings Mr. Stuffy down and stares at Amber again. Amber laughs.

 

Henry sighs beside her. “Hailey, if you or Mr. Stuffy don’t have anything to say to her, then you shouldn’t have asked for her.”

 

“But Papa, I just said I wanted to see.” Hailey says and there’s a sound of a woman laughing behind the camera and Amber thinks with just a little bit of jealousy that it must be her mom.

 

“Okay, Baobei.” Henry sighs. “I’ll be home in two days, okay? Don’t give your Aunt Tiffany a headache.”

 

“Aunt is a little bit extreme, don’t you think, Henry?” A pretty girl with long black hair and crescent eyes comes into the screen, smiling. Now, Amber’s even more jealous.

 

Henry chuckles. “Khun’s coming, yeah?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Thanks for doing this. Sorry I interrupted your honeymoon.” Amber’s ears perk up at that. She’s married?

 

“Nonsense, you know we’ll do anything for you and Hailey.”

 

“I owe you one. Say thanks to Khun for me, okay?”

 

“Will do.” Tiffany smiles again. “Hailey, say bye to your Papa.”

 

“Bye, Baobei. I love you.” Amber watches as his eyes softens when Hailey says her goodbyes and I love yous and she feels warmth at the pit of her stomach.

 

“Bye Amber, it was nice meeting you.” Amber blinks as Tiffany addresses her.

 

“Oh, bye and likewise.” She smiles, hoping it’s as genuine as she wants it to be. Honestly, she’s just relieved that she’s not in any way involved romantically with Henry.

 

Henry says goodbye one last time before hanging up, that soft smile still visible on his face.

 

“You really should smile more.” Amber finds herself saying.

 

Henry turns to her. “What?”

 

“You look good like that.” Henry snorts, raising an amused eyebrow and sometimes, Amber really has to learn how to shut up.

 

“This place has a rooftop, wanna go for a smoke break?”


 

The rain had stopped but the rooftop is still wet so they settle on leaning against the wall by the door, cigarettes between their fingers, watching the grey skies of London warn for another rainfall.

 

“So, what’s your story?” Henry asks in the midst of their quietness, blowing his smoke upwards.

 

“What?”

 

“How did you become a model?”

 

Amber shrugs, taking a drag and blowing it out before answering. “Nothing really special. My friend was a photography student and asked me to be his subject for a project. I said yes, my photo became a part of his exhibit, Heechul saw it and the rest is history.”

 

Henry chuckles. “Heechul couldn’t stop talking about you that time. Said he had to scout you or the company would collapse.”

 

“That’s a bit dramatic.” Amber scrunches her nose.

 

“That’s Heechul.”

 

Amber nods in agreement, taking another drag. “What about you, what’s your story?”

 

“You haven’t read or seen any of my interviews?”

 

“I don’t want the sugarcoated ones.” Amber chuckles.

 

Henry taps on his cigarette, watching as the ashes fall to the ground. “Zhou Mi is a family friend. I needed money to get into college because music school is expensive.”

 

“You went to a music school?”

 

“Berklee. Only one semester, though. I did some shoots to pay off my tuition and Heechul wanted to hire me full time so I stopped.”

 

They were quiet again, taking drags and watching the smoke diffuse into the air.

 

“Can I ask a question?” Amber asks.

 

“Shoot.”

 

“Was Hailey the reason you turned down that Armani campaign? That job could have really started your career in U.S.”

 

Henry’s face contorts into something unreadable and Amber wonders if she went too far with that.

 

“Gotta make sacrifices for the people you love.” He shrugs, stubbing his cigarette with his shoe.

 

“You’re a great dad.” Amber says, genuinely meaning it and Henry smiles at her.

 

“Thank you. That means a lot.” And judging from that smile on his face, it really does. Maybe more than any praises from photographers or being the face of high-end brands. Amber wants him to keep that smile forever.


 

Amber doesn’t get any rest that week. After the Calvin Klein shoot, she’s booked for Elle and Cosmopolitan. Donghae says it’s because everyone already found out that she’s part of the Calvin Klein campaign and wants to get their hands on her. Amber is grateful but she wants at least an extra hour of sleep.

 

Her phone dings during the lunch break of her Elle shoot and she furrows her eyebrows when she sees the unregistered number.

 

Hey, this is Henry. I’d like to invite you to Hailey’s birthday party today. At my apartment. I know it’s last minute but she’d really like it if you’ll come. I promise she likes you, she’s just shy. But you don’t have to force yourself to come if you’re busy. P.S. I hope it’s ok that I asked Donghae for your number.

 

Amber had to read the message four times before she processed the text and even then she still can’t believe that Henry would actually text her and invite her to his daughter’s birthday party. She stares at her screen for a long time, trying to think of what she’s going to reply but before she could actually type out a reply, she’s called back to set and she quickly shoves her phone in her bag, spending the rest of the shoot thinking what would be the perfect gift for a 4-year-old.

 

It’s twenty minutes before nine and Amber is practically tripping over herself as she enters Henry’s apartment building, running. The doorman gives her a strange look that she ignores and frantically presses the elevator button. She totally forgot to reply to Henry that she’s coming to the party because the moment she was finished with the Elle shoot, Donghae ushers her to the car to get to the wardrobe fitting for her Cosmo shoot the next day and before she knew it, it’s already 8 PM. Then, she still had to run to the mall to get a gift. Luckily, that didn’t take too long.

 

When she gets to his door, she stops for a moment to fix herself, straightening her sweatshirt and making sure her hair isn’t messy, before ringing the doorbell.

 

“Hey,” Henry says through the intercom. “I thought you weren’t gonna come.”

 

“Well, I’m here.” Amber smiles a waves at the camera, trying to make it look like she didn’t run like her life dependent on it just to get there earlier.

 

Henry opens the door and motions for her to come in. Amber nods and toes off her shoes. “I’m super late, I’m sorry. I got caught up at wardrobe fitting.”

 

Henry shakes his head. “It’s fine. We still have cake.”

 

“Is Hailey asleep already?” Amber looks around and sees gift wraps scattered all over the floor of the living room along with a bunch of new toys (she has a very strong feeling that the scary amount of Frozen merchandise is from Heechul).

 

“Yeah. I just put her down to sleep.” Henry leads her to the kitchen, where the dishes are half-washed. “Cake?”

 

“A small slice would be fine.” she says, remembering Donghae telling her to eat healthy.

 

Henry cuts her a slice and sits across her, grabbing a fork for himself and digging through the rest of the cake.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be on a diet?” Amber chuckles.

 

“It’s my daughter’s birthday, I deserve a break.” Henry mumbles, taking a huge piece from his fork and eating it, sighing. Amber giggles. Maybe now she’s more curious about this Henry than the supermodel that she sees in magazines.

 

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Amber puts her fork down and grabs the small paper bag beside her, handing it to Henry. “My gift for Hailey.”

 

“You really didn’t have to.”

 

“Hush. Just take it.”

 

Henry takes the bag reluctantly and places it on his lap, mumbling thanks as he helps himself with another bite of cake.

 

“Who else in the agency knows about Hailey besides me?”

 

“Heechul, obviously, and Zhou Mi.” Henry his lips to get leftover frosting from his mouth and Amber’s momentarily distracted, vividly remembering the kiss they had at the Calvin Klein shoot and the way his lips feel against hers. She knows she should be professional because it’s only a kiss (which doesn’t even involve tongue) and getting into a relationship with a co-worker is messy, especially if the said co-worker already has a child. But she’s human and sometimes, when it’s late at night and she has a good amount of wine in her system, she thinks about wanting to do it again.

 

She looks down at her plate to hide the blush on her cheeks and finishes the rest of her slice. “Um, I can help you clean up the place.”

 

“No, no, no, it’s fine.” Henry protests when Amber starts sorting through the dirty dishes. “I can do it by myself.”

 

“Please let me help. It’s the least I could do after coming so late.”

 

Henry tsks, shaking his head. “You’re a guest. And you have a shoot tomorrow, right?”

Amber pouts at him in protest.

 

“Go. I can handle it from here.” Henry ushers her to the door, chuckling. “I’m your senior, you should listen to me.”

 

Amber drops her pout once they’re at the door and she awkwardly shuffles on her feet. “Tell Hailey I’m sorry I couldn’t come earlier.”

 

Henry smiles at that. “Will do.”

 

“Oh, and greet her happy birthday for me, too.”

 

“Of course. Thanks for coming.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t need my help?”

 

“I’ll be fine. I don’t want to be responsible if you have panda eyes on your shoot tomorrow.”

 

Amber snorts, shoving him lightly. “Well then, good night.”

 

“Good night, Amber.”

 

“I’ll see you around?”

 

Henry smiles at her again, the kind of smile that makes her go weak on the knees. “Yeah.”


 

Amber arrives at her Cosmo shoot with a coffee in hand, feeling like death, because no matter how many hours of sleep she gets, she always feels like dying in the morning. Donghae ushers her half-asleep self to the dressing room where Min, the makeup artist for the shoot, immediately works on her, laughing at her every time she nods off. She blinks awake when her phone dings and sees a message from Henry. She smiles and opens it.

 

Hailey loved your present. She hasn’t taken it off since I gave it to her three hours ago.

 

There’s an attached picture of Hailey grinning at the camera, peeking through the pink cap with a small white bunny embroidered on it. Amber smiles wider, definitely more awake now.

 

Glad she liked it. You don’t have a shoot today?

 

Not until 7 PM.

 

Lucky :P

 

Do well on your shoot today.

 

Amber tries not to grin too much and Min tries to peek at her phone, asking what she’s so happy about. Amber says it’s nothing before typing out a quick reply. Thanks. You, too. Although, I don’t think a supermodel like yourself needs to be told that.

 

Well, it’s always nice to hear. Or read.

 

Ok then. Do well on your shoot today~

 

Henry’s reply is a picture of him grinning, eyes nearly disappearing as he displays his perfect set of teeth. Amber laughs and quickly saves the photo.


 

Amber’s finally realizing what a Calvin Klein gig could do to your career because even before its release, she’s getting bookings after bookings and everything’s going insanely good, she’s having a hard time processing it.

 

Her latest booking is a lyric video for a song by a DJ that she hasn’t heard of but she guesses, is popular enough for Donghae to get it for her. And the Gods must have been looking down kindly at her because she finds out five minutes after the phone call from Donghae, that Henry’s going to be in it, too.

 

Looks like I’m gonna be stuck with you again, Amber bites her lip as she thinks twice on sending the text. For the past few weeks, they’ve been exchanging occasional texts - wishing each other luck on their shoots, pictures of Hailey wearing her present, and sometimes, even a selfie from him (she saves every single one of them). Hoping that he won’t ignore her, she sighs and presses send.

 

The reply comes almost immediately and Amber tries not to assume that he’s waiting and looking forward to her texts like she does. I hope you’re not sick of me yet, it says.

 

Only a little bit, Amber types, grinning.

 

You hurt me deep, Amber Liu.

 

Amber laughs and sends a bunch of laughing emojis. I’ll see you in Japan.

 

See you.


 

The nightlife in Tokyo is very vivid.

 

A flurry of pink, purple, blue and green lights fill her senses as she walks through the busy Shibuya intersection, hand interlaced with Henry’s. She watches in trance as the lights splatter on his pale skin, creating multiple colored shadows on his face and Amber doesn’t ever want to look away.

 

Henry lets go of her hand and wraps an arm around her waist, carefully maneuvering her through the thick crowd, making sure she wouldn’t bump with someone, less of all the camera man filming them. When they finally cross the intersection, the director (a very bouncy and tiny woman named Anna) yells cut and Amber feels Henry squeeze her waist gently before dropping his hand, clearing his throat.

 

“Oh, I forgot to show you something.” Henry says, taking his phone out of his pocket and showing her a picture of him and Hailey. Hailey was wearing her present while Henry is wearing an identical one in a bigger size, both of them grinning widely into the camera.

 

“She insisted I get one just like hers.” Henry chuckles, blushing faintly and Amber feels herself smiling widely, practically melting at the sight.

 

“You both look very cute.” Amber grins and Henry smiles in shyly, rubbing the back of his neck. It’s such a boyish action from someone who always had the image of being imposing. Amber likes this more.

 

“Henry, Amber! We’re going to the next location!”

 

They both look up and the assistant director is motioning for them to hurry up. Amber chuckles, grabbing Henry’s hand and hoping he wouldn’t mind.

 

Their next location is on a convenience store and Henry wraps an arm around her waist again as they wait for their cue. Amber shifts closer, leaning against him, head falling on his shoulder.

 

“This choker is so itchy.” Amber whispers out of the blue and Henry laughs, reaching out to touch her neck, gently rubbing a spot under the choker she’s wearing. Amber’s breath hitches and Henry must have heard it because he drops his hand from her neck and mumbles an apology. Amber kind of wants to say that it’s okay to touch her again but that sounds highly inappropriate so she clears instead just as Anna yells action.

 

They were given specific instructions to laugh and giggle and act like they’re ‘so drunk in their love.’ Amber already feels like she’s drunk just by being in his presence and being held by him like this. She wraps both arms around his waist as his moves up to wrap around her shoulders. They stumble to the convenience store, giggling to themselves and Henry pokes her side. Amber lets out a squeal, body involuntary jerking to the side and Henry laughs at her, pulling her back to him before doing it again. Amber swats his hands away, laughing as Henry pulls her back to him again, kissing the side of her head. Sometimes, when they do these kinds of things, she wonders what’s real and what’s not.

 

After another round of giggles and chaste kisses behind the chip aisle, they moved on to the next location and this is the part that Amber’s dreading ever since Donghae sent her the e-mail about this project. It involves her and Henry in bed, slowly getting undressed. She barely got through the Calvin Klein shoot without her face feeling like it’s burning, how is she supposed to survive this one?

 

They’re shooting in a small motel this time and they got one of the bigger rooms. The bed is at the center and there are two small nightstands on both sides. She fidgets on the bed as they set up the lights (blue, pink, and green to match the color palette outside) while Henry sits beside her, calm as ever. She sighs and takes out her phone to distract herself, making funny faces as she takes a selfie. Henry notices and moves closer until he’s in the frame and Amber grins. She flashes a peace sign and Henry leans closer, their cheeks almost touching and Amber quickly presses the shutter before she could drop her phone. The photo comes out nice and she’s positive no one could notice just how distracted she was with Henry’s close proximity.

 

The director calls for them to get to their places and Amber puts her phone down, taking a deep breath. Henry shifts on the bed to find a more comfortable position and she follows his suit, deciding to just lean against him. When Anna yells action, Henry starts it slowly, pressing their foreheads together, gently running his thumb across her cheek before kissing her. Amber sighs into their kiss and leans forward, pressing her lips more firmly against his, holding on to his arms. She couldn’t help the gasp that comes out of her when he on her upper lip and her tongue meets his as the kiss got more heated.

 

She breaks the kiss for a moment to straddle him and she realizes that this is the third time she’s been on top of him and she’s starting to get a hang of it. Henry sits up and leans against the headboard before grabbing the back of her neck and kissing her again. Amber tries not to shiver as his hand went under her shirt and started roaming upwards, letting out a barely audible groan. She tugs the hem of his shirt and starts taking it off, gasping as Henry breaks their kiss to take it off himself. Amber’s hands starts wandering on his chest, going downwards and running them lightly on his abdomen. Henry’s eyes follow her hands, letting out soft sighs against her ear. He leans forward to kiss her neck, tugging on the choker with his teeth before swiping his tongue across the spot that he had rubbed earlier. Amber gasps and gently pushes him away to take off her sweatshirt that’s too big for her and tossing it aside, watching with half-lidded eyes as Henry kisses the tattoos on her arm before going back up to her neck and pressing their lips together again.

 

“Cut!”

 

Amber blinks and she remembers that she’s on set and they’re filming and she’s not wearing a shirt. She feels like her skin is on fire and she gets off of Henry, who looks like he wasn’t affected whatsoever, like he wasn’t completely ravishing her and making her go crazy.

 

“Absolutely wonderful!” Anna squeals. “I don’t think we need a retake.”

 

Henry stands gets off the bed to watch the scene on the small monitor and Amber follows him, ignoring Donghae as he waggles his eyebrows at her and smiling when Zhou Mi gives her a thumbs up. She only half watches because she can still feel everything on her skin and she’s doing her absolute best not to turn into a tomato.

 

“Okay you guys are done for the day, great work!” The staff clap as she and Henry bow and thank them.

 

Henry picks up her shirt from the floor and hands it to her, smiling. “Good job. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Amber looks everywhere but his upper body and nods. “Yeah. See you.”

 

When Zhou Mi ushers him out the door, Donghae nudges her with his elbow, grinning. “So--”

 

“Not a word.”


 

Amber couldn’t sleep that night. She could still feel his lips and his tongue on her skin and it’s driving her to insanity. She tosses and turns on her bed, trying to at least get a wink of sleep because they still have to shoot the next day but every time she closes her eyes, she replays what had happened earlier and wonders how far they would have gone if Anna didn’t yell cut.

 

There’s a knock on her door and she glances at the hotel room’s wall clock to check what the time is. It’s quarter past 1 AM and she’s not expecting anyone. When she doesn’t answer, there’s another knock followed by a familiar voice.

 

“Amber? It’s me, Henry.”

 

Amber gulps, head started whirring with inappropriate ideas. She gets off her bed, shaking off any weird thoughts and opening the door. Henry stands there, clutching his phone, eyes blinking back tears.

 

“Is everything alright?”

 

Henry looks at her with uncertainty. “Can I come in?”

 

“Yeah, sure.” Amber opens the door wider and Henry enters the room, waiting until she closes the door behind her.

 

“Are you okay?” Amber asks again and Henry turns to look at her, hand clutching his phone tighter.

 

Henry swallows the lump on his throat, clenching his fist. “Hailey’s mom is in Korea.”

 

Amber has been itching to ask about Hailey’s mom ever since she found out that he has a kid but she always stops herself because she doesn’t want to pry. But from what she assumes, Henry doesn’t keep in contact with her, judging from the lack of her presence in his apartment.

 

“I’m scared.” Henry says under his breath. “What if she wants custody of Hailey? What if she uses my job against me and take her away?”

 

Henry’s nearly in tears as he rambles about not wanting to lose his daughter and Amber feels pain in her chest seeing him like this. She hesitates for a moment before reaching out to take his hand but he pulls her to him, burying his face on the crook of her neck, squeezing her like she’s his only grip on sanity.

 

“I’m sorry for this,” He mumbles against her skin. “I just-- I need a few minutes.”

 

Amber nods and holds him, assuring him that everything’s going to be alright, hoping it’s enough to make him feel better.


 

When they got back to Korea, Amber doesn’t see him or heard from him for almost two weeks. She doesn’t text him because she figures, he needs time to sort things out and she doesn’t want to get in the way or cause a disturbance of any kind. After that night in her hotel room in Japan, she wakes up to him whispering thank you to her before sneaking out, thinking she’s still asleep. He had poured out his soul to her that night, had let her see him in such a vulnerable state and Amber’s grateful that he trusts her enough to let her see a side of him she never thought existed.

 

Amber stumbles upon him on the rooftop. It’s been two weeks since she last saw him and at the risk of sounding clingy, she misses him, which she almost blurts out when she sees him there, cigarette in hand.

 

“Hey.” She greets, smiling cautiously. Henry smiles back, beckoning her to him. Amber goes to him, making it look like she’s not too eager to soak up his presence again.

 

“Haven’t talked to you for a while.” Amber says, watching Henry take a drag of his cigarette.

 

“I talked to Hailey’s mom.” Henry looks back at her, a tight smile on his lips. Amber nods, letting him continue. “She doesn’t want custody.” He chuckles in relief. “She only came back to tell me that she’s getting married and has no intention on claiming her place in our lives because she doesn’t have one to start with.” He chuckles again, shaking his head and tapping on his cigarette. “I guess I overreacted a little bit.”

 

Amber snorts softly before both of them goes quiet. She leans against the railing, shifting closer to him, not caring that she’ll smell like cigarette again and Donghae would definitely disapprove.

 

“So,” Amber starts, clearing . She doesn’t know where she’s going with this and she doesn’t understand why she chooses this moment to try and say it but she knows she can’t hold it in much longer, not if they’re still going to work together and touch each other the way they’ve been doing for their past shoots.

 

“I think I like you.” She blurts out, looking everywhere but him. From the corner of her eye, she sees Henry stub out his cigarette before looking at her. He doesn’t say anything for a while, just staring at her like he’s trying to see through her. She fights down her blush.

 

“You don’t mind that I have a kid?” He asks, still staring intently at her.

 

Amber finally looks at him, trying her best to look at him in the eyes. “I wouldn’t be making a fool out of myself right now if I do, would I?”

 

She’s blushing but she refuses to look away and Henry steps closer, gaze softening and a smile starting to form on his face. “I don’t think you look like a fool.” He reaches out to brush her fringe away from her eyes, still smiling. “I think I like you, too.”

 

Amber almost thinks he’s joking but he leans forward, face inches away from hers and her breath hitches. There are no cameras and ten sets of eyes watching them this time as he presses a soft and gentle kiss on her lips which Amber welcomes with a sigh, clutching the front of his shirt, heart thundering against her chest. He tastes like a weird mixture of cigarette and cherry lip balm and she savors it before he pulls away gently, his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

 

“Dinner at my place tonight?” Henry grins “It’s pasta night.”

 

Amber grins back. “I love pasta.”

 

(The pasta was delicious, Hailey was super adorable and Amber had let Henry kiss all her tattoos.)