Uno

24-365

It has been 2 years since the success of YG’s 2nd girl group, Black Pink (Note: Lisa is not in it). Their concepts, vocals, skills and visuals have set a very high bar for the next generation of Korean singers; being able to set everyone’s roof on fire every single time. They constantly broke records in the KPOP industry and also worldwide like it was a piece of cake. Guested in various shows world wide, and on top of everything, adored by many people from the very big group of the most respected western singers and actors. They got really big in just 2 years.

 

Those 2 years were the very first years where Jennie Kim failed to procrastinate. Ofcourse, it was a good thing but that also meant she didn’t have time to relax and be on her own. She was either practicing, signing albums, meeting fans or performing on various types of stages.

 

They have just finished all activities for their latest album and thus, a one-year break was expected. By break, it actually didn’t really literally mean break. It is when they do nothing but practice at their own pace—you can rest but make sure you practice kind of break. Back in the New Year’s eve, the day YG would declare a break for some groups and say his expectations for the year, a huge shocking joke-they-thought came out of his mouth.

 

“This year” he raised up his glass of wine, everyone followed. “Let’s throw a surprise concert in Seoul”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s already August and Jennie has finished composing more than a hundred songs for fun. She would record herself singing it and would even make some her ringing tone if it sounded good. Her thoughts trailed regarding the surprise concert, she wondered what was Mr Yang’s plan for real. He had briefed them saying, “Just practice all your songs” and left them hanging, not telling them the flow of things and if they were supposed to add something like a dance intro or whatnot.

 

 

 

 

 

Jisoo waved at the stoning Jennie who was still standing outside her parent’s apartment looking like she was about to make her way to the elevator. Jennie’s mind was still blank till she felt a jolt on both sides of her waist followed by a kiss on her nose when she instinctively bent forward. “What were you thinking about so deeply?” Jisoo chirped, winking and making a sassy side pose. “Me?”.

 

“No” Jennie cringed at the older one. “Why are you here anyway?”. Jisoo linked arms with Jennie and walked down the aisle to the elevator. “We should discuss about our performance for the surprise concert” Jisoo pressed the lift’s button. “Since it’s a surprise, we might as well surprise the CEO too”.

 

 

They got in a huge black van and picked Rosé up. She was actually busy; secretly watching a romantic movie in the cinema on her own but her weakness was always the oldest unnie’s, Jisoo’s, command. She came out from the mall wearing tight leather pants, oversized hoodie, a brown cap and flip flops. “What is wrong with you?” Jisoo started lecturing her. “What is up with your get-up?”. Rosé rolled her eyes at the nagging voice of Jisoo, “Just bring me to the dorm already, I need to get my sneakers”.

 

Their dorm was messy as a Black Pink trash’s life (aka me and you). “Jendeuk” Rosé tugged Jennie’s sleeve. “When do you plan to come back here? It’s been 2 months since you stayed with your parents”. Rosé was pouting, hinting it was because she was always left alone and thus, forced to go out alone cause Jisoo was either out or in nagging at her. “Just another month longer” Jennie pinched the maknae’s cheeks.

 

They all headed to the company’s building and to the dance area’s lobby. “Which room is available now?” Jennie enquired from the person in-charge. The lady quickly scrolled through the schedule and murmured something like “The trainees must be done by now”. “Pardon?” Rosé asked, not sure if it was supposed to be heard because no one but Jennie was able to hear what she said. “Room #06 is available”.

 

They all made their way to the room, trainees passed by them, greeting and bowing to them like they were the prime ministers of the country called Hottie filled with Hotties. Its lights were off. As Jennie was about to switch the light on, Jisoo smacked her hand. “It’s nice this way” Jisoo laid down, continuously tapping the floor to make sure there weren’t any debris or anything that could possibly hurt them. “Let’s start”.

 

It’s actually one of the best ways to come up with a mind-blowing or a simply fun idea. By laying down in the dark with the people whom you work with, it’s just the same as voicing out what you want to be in the future; saying anything without a care. Like you’re dreaming big. “Let’s create a dance intro” Rosé suggested. “Like Miss Parris Goebel can make something like Big Bang and 2NE1’s intro at the MAMA back in 2015”. The other two made a satisfied/agreeing sound. “I also think we should kind of change our concept” Jisoo suggested.

 

Jennie: Like what?

Jisoo: Guess it. It’s a very unpredictable thing for us to do.

Jennie: That sounds good.

 

Jennie: Let’s just do whatever that is.

Rosé: What are we riding Lamborghinis into the scene?

Jisoo: Are you drunk?

 

Jennie: Hmm

Rosé: Hmm

Rosé: Oh!

 

Jisoo: You know what it is?

Rosé: I think so!

Jisoo: If you can guess it, it means our telepathy is real.

Jennie: Woah. I need to guess it then.

Rosé: Are we dragging fans into the stage and like make them sing and we be the back-up dancers at some point?

Jisoo: Nope. But that would really be fun!

Jennie: Does it have to do with our outfit?

 

Jisoo jolted up which made the two flinch in surprise. She looked at Jennie in the dark room, “마자요 (Correct)”.

 

Jennie: Are we wearing mascots?!

Jisoo: What?

 

Jisoo laid back down, disappointment in her tone.

 

Jisoo: No.

Rosé: Since it’d be probably in the month of November-- the concert… Suicide Squad?!

Jennie: Like a bunch of Harley Quinns?!

Rosé: OMO Unnie!

Jennie: Then like we can pull some Joker’s from the crowd?!

 

Jisoo got up again, making the two flinch yet again. “Noooooooooooooooooo” she patted the floor, making loud noises that awakened the Harley Quinn fanatics from their dream. “We’re going to dress as men”. In that dark room, in that second, the room went quiet. The two didn’t speak because they thought it was absolutely ridiculous. Jisoo was closing her eyes, annoyed and deeply heart-broken that her mates don’t approve the one idea she was excited about.

 

 

 

 

 

Then they heard a sound. They quickly gathered in a triangle like cats. “Did you hear something?” Jisoo whispered. Then the sound again, it was someone’s deep breathing. “Has someone been staying there and we discussed all this confidential stuff?!”. Rosé quietly tiptoed her way to switch the light on.

 

 

As the light came on, a lady appeared. She was laying down with cough mask on and her forearm covering her eyes. She was wearing a white shirt and black baggy pants. All three could see how hard she must’ve practiced from the look of her shirt. It was soo drenched, it was revealing her sports bra’s colour and form.

 

“Um, excuse me?” Jisoo lightly poked the girl’s arm. “Are you okay?”. The girl got up half-awake, bowing then scanning the room, her eyes focused on Jennie for more than a while. Her eyes were emotionless; it was like it was too tired or even dead. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience” she bowed at the three. She quickly made her way to the door when Jisoo took Rosé hoodie off. “Please take this” Jisoo forcefully pushed it to the girl who was hesitant about it. “Everyone will see that badazz pink bra of yours”.

 

She left in a flash and they started panicking. “Do you think she heard it?” Jisoo started pacing around the two. “We’re screwed if she does cause she might spread it”. The other two shook their heads, “We aren’t doing it anyway”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the next few days, they were just simply arguing about Jisoo’s idea. She kept insisting it’d be fun but what made them actually get into a conclusion is when Jisoo said something like “Wouldn’t it be nice to experience being a guy? Like isn’t that in your bucket list?”. The two thought it was actually worth it if they put it that way.

 

They headed out to shop for male clothes at Busan, a 5-hour drive from Seoul, to make sure there weren’t as much paparazzi that could possibly spot the three. Jisoo and Rosé were enjoying switching from clothes to clothes, making Jennie their “girlfriend” because it was mandatory to have one when shopping. “Honey” Jisoo was wearing a tank top, dark blue blazer, casual khaki shorts and a topsider. “Don’t I look great?”.

 

Jennie stared at Jisoo for a minute till Jisoo started winking like she was having spasms. Jennie sighed heavily, “You know you two”.

 

She stood up while the two sat down in front of her. “You don’t even look like guys; you guys are wearing tight stuff which shows your curve”. She thought that when Jisoo said dress like men, she also meant totally acting like a man; like they are supposed to wrap their s with bandage wrap and also avoid stuff that would make them look feminine.

 

Jisoo and Rosé smiled as they looked down, “Yah, Unnie…” Rosé stood up and made a few turns in front of the mirror. “I actually look good in men’s clothes”. “I know right” Jisoo started flexing her muscles. Just as Jennie was about to hit Rosé with her heels, she received a phone call from Mr Yang.

 

YG: Where are you?

Jennie: We are at Busan.

YG: Why in the world—you kids...

 

YG: Get yourself here. I have something important to tell you.

Jennie: Just me?

YG: Yes. I have briefed the other two separately already.

Jennie: Wait but--   

YG: Be fast.

 

Since the two were pre-occupied and was enjoying themselves, she snuck out and got the car for herself. She made sure the two didn’t leave anything behind because she’d be in big trouble if they had no phone and money to take the train. “Manager-ssi, please bring me back to Seoul” Jennie had a smirk on her face, feeling slightly evil. “The two said they’ll get back on their own”.

 

It was a long long ride and it was already past 8 PM when they arrived. They were sitting inside the meeting room and Mr Yang has yet to say anything--- it’s been 10 minutes of Jennie yawning and Mr Yang furiously scrolling through his phone. “Mr Yang, when—“ Jennie tried to start. “Just wait”  he quickly cut her off.

 

After what seemed like an hour, an unfamiliar face barged in the meeting room. Jennie was surprised and even had the impression of it as a rude interruption yet there was nothing to be interrupted(lel). Her walk was heavy with her Timberland boots and her face was just—blank. “Is this kid depressed?” Jennie thought. She slid a sheet of paper on his desk, "Please sign my cancellation of contract".

 

Jennie looked up to see the girl who was now getting familiar to her. She was tall and her hair dyed blonde. She could tell the girl was a foreigner. From her voice and the way she said the sentence, Jennie was impressed with her Korean skills. Their eyes met again. "It was the girl in the dance room for sure" Jennie nodded to herself. Mr Yang didn’t do anything to the paper, he leaned on his seat instead, “Take a sit, Lalisa”.

 

Lisa did as what she was told to do. Jennie carefully followed her movements, “She seemed like someone who’d not give up though” she thought again.

 

YG: Jennie this is Lalisa Manoban.

 

The two exchanged a look to each other, Lisa’s eyes were still the same.

 

YG: She has been a trainee for 4 years now.

 

Then YG leaned forward resting his clasped hands on the table.

 

YG: Why do you want to quit, Lalisa?

Lisa: I have explained it to you already, Mr Yang.

YG: No no.

 

YG: I want Jennie to hear it.

 

Jennie stared at Mr Yang who was then staring at Lisa and she felt Lisa staring at her too. Illuminati confirmed. Lisa waited for Jennie’s eyes to meet hers before she spoke again.

 

Lisa: I’m quitting because I want to focus on university.

YG: You know you don’t have to quit right?

Lisa: I have made up my mind.

 

Lisa: You have tried to convince me countless times to do otherwise but I—have made up my mind, Mr Yang.

 

Mr Yang then leaned back to his seat again. He stared at the ceiling for two minutes then looked at Jennie then to Lisa. “Such a waste of talent” he took a pen and tapped it on the paper a few times. “But I also can’t make you debut until Black Pink goes on a long break”. He put it back down.

 

YG: Since you’re leaving, I’d like to give you a special spotlight to show what you’ve got.

Lisa: What? I’m quitting, I don’t need to show anything.

YG: You want and need this signed to leave, right?

 

Lisa gave Mr Yang a judging look and then nodded. Jennie was just so clueless about what she has got to do with this and why is it important.

 

YG: You and Jennie

YG: During the surprise concert

 

He tapped the head of his pen to his head, thinking very hard. Jennie’s eyebrows furrowed, now getting surprised on the turn of tables.

 

YG: Perform Good Boy by your sunbaes… together.

Lisa: And after that

Lisa: You’ll sign it?

 

Mr Yang smiled, “Yes”.

 

 

 

 

 

As Lisa and Jennie were about to get off of their seats, Mr Yang signaled Jennie to stay seated. He waited for the door to shut close then quickly went to Lisa’s seat, facing Jennie. “Since you guys are on break” Mr Yang tilted his head left and right hesitantly. “Do practice with her”.

 

Jennie nooded, “That’s a given”. She got off her seat then was asked to seat back down. “You” Mr Yang emphasized. “You should be able to see her talent, make her improve on her skills too”. Jennie blinked twice, it wasn’t making sense because she was leaving anyway so why make the effort to improve her abilities.

 

Jennie nodded anyway then got up again, but sat down right away when Mr Yang said so-- again. “You also” he muttered, finding the word around the room. “Try to get to know her”. Jennie rolled her eyes internally. It wasn’t making sense but she said okay anyway. She was about to get up again, her eyes spotted Mr Yang’s mouth opening so she sat right back down.

 

Jennie: Can you just tell me everything in one go?

YG: Ah…

Jennie: You always give that 30 second pause after you speak which makes me think you’re done.

YG: Okay, I got it.

Jennie: So is there anything else?

 

 

 

Mr Yang leaned back and sighed. His eyes stopped to meet Jennies eyes, looking dead serious, “Make sure she stays”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[I'll probably edit this when I get to know their personalities. I'll be updating every Friday cause I want this story to go slow heh. Do comment your thoughts :-)]