You discovered me

You discovered me

You discovered me

When I first got introduced to you, it was because someone encouraged me to meet you. Once we met, I knew we shared a common interest, a love for a good story.  When I began my writing journey, I thought my stories were exciting and fun to read. And back then, I was anxious to share with you what I had created. I haven't lost that excitement but improved, matured, and grown, and I still wish to share it with you. Why? Because you were there when I was unsure, reluctant, and nervous. You reassured me, gave me confidence, and even told me I had potential.  And one thing momma taught me when I was growing up. When you find someone who treats you well and motivates you to be better, you hold onto that person because they are a gem.

 

But all good and lasting relationships work because you have two good givers. And I haven't forgotten what you have given to me, support. Lasting relationships last because the two parties involved never forgets about the other. I haven't forgotten you, and I hope you haven't forgotten me.  I had forgotten the joy that I felt and still feel when I sit down to write, how I think of you, and what I can do to bring a little joy into life. I've always said I write for you, and I still feel that way.  

 

I heard some say that they have outgrown reading about life. Now it's time to live it!  That's true. We have to live life. But what I have learned about life as you live it. You can enrich your life while you live it. That's what reading a good book does for you! Reading can take you places you may not be able to afford to go. It can enhance your imagination and encourage you to improve your life, whether physically, financially, emotionally, spiritually, romantically, etc. But that all depend on what you decide to feast your mind on in your reading endeavors. 

 

I love romance, but not only do I read it and write it, but I also live it. I realize you don't have to stop doing something to experience it. I find the more I live it, good or bad, I want to share it. To help others to increase the joys of romance or to avoid the pitfuls of a bad romance. That's what I find reading can do for you. It's a tool that can bring you joy, but most knowledge and knowledge is power!

 

So my newsletter this month is me sending out a search and rescue message!  But the best way to describe what I feel about you, my dear readers, and to describe what this newsletter is all about is this beautiful song. 

 

I'm not a writer, just a good storyteller. I was unknown, just giving my hand at writing in my little corner, thinking no one would be interested in reading my romance stories. 

Slowly I was discovered in my little corner. As you gradually kept coming and peeping to see what I was doing. They began to stay around, teaching me slowly what this was all about. When people started subscribing, I was wondering what does that mean?! Then when I got my very first comment from a reader, I was shocked but encouraged to keep writing. That's when I realized a comment could breathe life and enthusiasm into a writer.

 It kept me writing with each story I wrote. It became more popular, attracting more subscribers that stayed and read, even offering their comments asking for updates. I was thrilled and kept going as my mind was flooded with new ideas about romance stories. But then, one day, my readers introduced me to something else that's called upvoting. I asked myself, what does this upvoting mean? Of course, I went to FAQ to search for these things.

 Well, I noticed the more upvotes my story received, the more readers or subscribers were attracted to my stories. This was a new revelation to me as a writer. Excitedly I began to understand the site just a little bit more. As time went on, the more stories I wrote, I realized I had been discovered.  

I noticed that readers or subscribers were completing one story and going to the next and the next reading them. But I also discovered that many wouldn't leave comments or upvote the stories. That left me a complex! So complex that I couldn't understand why. Why are you reading all my stories but not leaving one comment or upvote?

It was obvious that they discovered me in my little corner and were enjoying all my stories. But it's become quite interesting now because I've discovered them! This is what I've discovered, and other authors out there, you tell me if you've discovered the same thing.  

Subscribers will subscribe only because many are forced by the sign subscribers Only. They enjoy reading your work, and only a few thankful subscribers will willingly comment and upvote. Look at your numbers. Three hundred subscribers- 25 comments and only eight upvotes. The numbers are way off if you think about it. I discovered many who read your stories enjoy them to the point they go to the next and the next. Never say thank you are acknowledging you at all. Even though they have the power to upvote and comment, they refuse to do so.

Many who don't have upvoting power will not comment either. It's a tragedy I've discovered. It was much nicer when I was in my little corner and had my faithful few subscribers and followers, who commented and upvoted because they sincerely enjoy my storytelling. 

writing kpop fanfic is just a way to let my stories have an audience. Just slap an idol’s name on a character, and you have people who will read the fic. It’s an open sandbox for you to play around with and a community to be part of. Writing can be incredibly isolating. It takes hours to write one fic. To give you an idea, if I focus on writing for a solid 20 minutes, I can usually write 500-600 words. I know authors who write faster. I know authors who write slower. So putting that much time into a story is scary. It’s scary if you don’t know people will read it, so writing for a community offers some safety. 

A discovered author's tragedy!