And if I could, I would look at us all the time

And if I could, I would look at us all the time

 When you are a kid, every, even most ordinary place, can become magical. Sometimes it's quite easy to notice, and sometimes it's very difficult, but in the end almost all children have at least one memory, which can be associated with something supernatural. Of course, with time, as they grow up, they start to think of it as a thing made up by their own head. And then they forget.

 

Changkyun doesn't.

 

The memory is too vivid, with the heavy smell of naphthalene, dust dancing in the air, shimmering in the sun that shines through the half-opened blinds. Unlike other children Changkyun used to grow up with, he always loved playing in the attic of their old house. Kids found it either extremely boring or creepy, and refused to spend their time between old clothes and dusty furniture. For Changkyun it was even better like that, as he was always weaker than his peers, and could never win in any of the games they played, so he enjoyed his time alone, getting to know the world from old photographs he had found in one of the drawers.

 

He used to sit on a rolled rug half-eaten by moths, and stare at those photos for hours, imagining how different the world must had been back then. His only companions in that specific time travel were the old clock, still ticking from time to time, although no one had ever tried to crank it; and the broken mirror in a heavy, carved frame.

 

One day Changkyun will never forget, the other boy appeared in the mirror. That day had changed everything.

 

And had also changed Changkyun.

 

///

 

His name was Hanbin.

 

They were the same age, the same height, and also looked very alike, so alike Changkyun almost didn't notice the first time Hanbin appeared, mistaking him for his own reflection.

 

But then Hanbin spoke up, tone of his voice cocky and sure. Changkyun already felt it was only a lie, and that Hanbin was afraid as much as Changkyun was himself. From word to word, they got to know each other, and they also discovered that two old mirrors in their houses are somehow connected, making them able to see each other.

 

They became friends that day, just like that, but Changkyun never told anyone about Hanbin. Maybe he just felt subconsciously that revealing their secret would be a very bad idea. Kids often are able to sense such things, to sense danger. And they know better than to tell the adults.

 

Because adults don't believe in magic.

 

Changkyun knew that, so he kept his mouth shut. Their secret meetings continued for almost eight years, and Changkyun could swear that this weird friendship was the best thing that ever happened to him in his boring life. Hanbin knew everything about him, knew about Changkyun's family, Changkyun's school life, all Changkyun's problems. Even about Changkyun's first crushes. They could just sit and talk for hours, although with time it became more and more difficult for them to find a moment alone, just for themselves.

 

Changkyun's senses let him feel something was wrong, let him feel that Hanbin was becoming more and more distant. But he kept ignoring it.

 

Until it was too late.

 

The day before the eight anniversary of their first meeting, Hanbin stopped appearing in the mirror. Changkyun waited and waited, kept coming back every day, hoping Hanbin would talk to him again, but it never happened.

 

That was the day when Changkyun thought for the first time that magic might not exist.

 

///

 

Hanbin was too perfect to be real.

 

He was like a better version of Changkyun- rich, intelligent, talented and good looking. At the beginning it wasn't that noticeable, but as the time passed by, some facts became more and more obvious.

 

Changkyun was living with his huge, loud family in a big, old house in the countryside. They were never poor, but compared to Hanbin's wealth it felt like they did. Hanbin never showed off how rich he was, but Changkyun could tell by Hanbin's toys, clothes and all the gadgets he possessed. Hanbin was very lonely, though, with his parents never having enough time to spend it with their only son.

 

Hanbin was going to that private, extremely famous and expensive school, where he stayed at the top of his class, while Changkyun's school was just a small one, in the town nearby, and definitely not producing dozens of future lawyers and doctors.

 

And Hanbin was beautiful, tall and slim, his body gracious, his skin milky-white and smooth, his eyes pretty, and a smile that could melt every heart. Changkyun knew well from Hanbin's stories that he was extremely popular among girls. No wonder. If Changkyun was a girl he would also kill to date someone like Hanbin.

 

As for Changkyun, the similarity of his and Hanbin's faces faded away quite fast, right when Changkyun started to notice how fast their bodies change with time. He stayed shorter than Hanbin, and definitely not so beautiful, with his shy smile and skin problems. He lacked self-confidence and couldn't even talk with girls, not to mention dating them.

 

Next to Hanbin he looked like an ugly potato, but he didn't care that much about it at the beginning.

 

He only started to care when one day Hanbin told him about some other boy he met at school.

 

His name was Bobby, he came from the US, and, according to Hanbin, was the most handsome and cool person in the world. Hanbin had never spoken like that about any girl, and although in Changkyun's environment nobody had ever talked about such things, he subconsciously sensed it again.

 

Hanbin had a crush on that boy.

 

It wouldn't be that shocking, since Changkyun was always very open-minded, even though he came from a little town, but starting from that day he realized something about himself, too.

 

He hated that Bobby dude and was jealous of him, seeing how Hanbin's eyes would sparkle whenever he talked about his crush, how wide Hanbin's smile became every single time he said something about that boy.

 

Changkyun wished Hanbin talked about him like that.

 

But he never did, and then he disappeared, leaving Changkyun lonely and broken, like never before.

 

///

 

Years have passed, yet he always remembers their first meeting: Hanbin's curious stare and the loud beating of their scared hearts. He believed in magic back then, he believed in real friendship and endless possibilities.

 

He tries to explain the story with the old mirror sometimes, to find some logical solution, but he always fails, as he knows well that it wasn't only his imagination.

 

The day Hanbin left also changed him, but in a positive way. Somewhere in his mind he kept this perfect vision of Hanbin, and he worked hard to become better, not to feel like a loser ever again. He finished his little school, graduated and got to one of the best universities. He has worked the whole summer, met many interesting people and felt simply happy.

 

That summer he also tasted how being in love feels like, and although it was only a little crush, it left him some nice memories.

 

When he stands in the middle of the crowd in the main hall of his university, he is so full of positive thoughts he barely recognizes himself, the shy village boy with more anxieties than he could possibly count. He has his biggest opportunity right here, in his hands, and although magic is long gone from his life, he surely can try to find it again. Why not.

 

Deep in his heart he never stopped believing.

 

He smiles to himself, puts his earphones in and starts to walk. The faces around him seems so interesting and bright, full of youth and hope. It feels so good to be a part of this crowd.

 

But then he notices him, and the whole world just stops.

 

It's Hanbin, it must be him, although they haven't talked in ages, and the last time Changkyun ever saw him was five years ago.

 

He just stands there, between all these people, looking tiny and lost, fear clearly visible in his big, round eyes. He's somehow just the same as he was last time they met, but also so different, so distant, almost like a stranger. Almost.

 

Because then their eyes meet for a few seconds.

 

How does it feel when you can reach your hand and finally touch the magic? How does it feel when something you've kept denying for a long, long time stands right in front of your eyes?

 

Changkyun doesn't get to know, as he just turns away and runs.

 

///

 

He realizes how ridiculous his behavior is only when he finds himself in a bus heading to his town. His hands are shaking, and he can’t simply calm down, even a little bit, his heart beating wildly in his chest.

 

Changkyun’s mother is pretty much surprised seeing him at the door, but she doesn’t even try to ask any questions, smiling happily at the sight of her son. Changkyun lies, telling her that he has forgotten something very important, and he feels guilty, he really does, but he just needs to go and check one thing immediately.

 

His heartbeat becomes erratic again, as he climbs the creaking stairs that lead to their attic. He hopes that his mother hadn’t thrown the old furniture away.

 

He sighs with relief, because nothing has changed in this dusty, magical place. Everything looks just the same way it did when he was younger. The mirror is also there, covered with an old curtain, and it suddenly becomes too difficult to make a step and reach his hand.

 

Changkyun closes his eyes and desperately pulls the curtain away.

 

And there he is, sleeping in a rocking chair set in front of the mirror, his face swollen from tears, but still so beautiful it almost hurts. Changkyun just stares, mindlessly moving his fingers against the mirror’s cold surface.

 

“Hanbin?” He says quietly. “Hanbin, please, wake up.”

 

How cute does he look when he slowly opens his eyes to look at Changkyun. There is something fragile and helpless in his whole figure, and Changkyun doesn’t recall it from the past.

 

“I’m sorry, I was so tired I fell asleep. I was waiting here for you to show up.”

 

“How did you know that I will?” Changkyun asks carefully, trying not to stare too attentively. He knows Hanbin hated it back then.

 

“I just felt it.”

 

///

 

They decide to meet, after hours spend on talking. Of course Changkyun is still afraid, but he craves to see Hanbin, to touch him, to prove that magic exists outside fairytales.

 

How beautiful Hanbin is, when he’s finally next to Changkyun, no words could possibly describe that perfect face and lovely smile. The fear Changkyun felt before the meeting faded away, along with mistrust. It’s his Hanbin after all, his best friend, the person he trusted more than anyone else.

 

And the whole world just reflects in these eyes, making Changkyun shiver.

 

How did he even survive without him, how did he continue on living without knowing what’s happened to Hanbin? All of these years in loneliness and disappointment, darkness and fear.

 

“You haven’t changed at all,” Hanbin says, and Changkyun is just surprised, because he thought his friend is going to say something quite opposite.

 

“Really? I hoped I’m more attractive now. At least that’s what my friends are telling me.”

 

Hanbin looks at him, his stare intense, making Changkyun feel unsure.

 

“You were always pretty. You just never believed in yourself.”

 

It’s true, Changkyun never did. Believing in himself was the hardest thing to achieve. How easier would it be for him if Hanbin said something like that years ago, when all Changkyun could think about himself was how unattractive and boring he was.

 

“Why have you disappeared? Without a word? I was waiting, you know.” The bitterness in Changkyun’s voice is easy to sense, but he doesn’t care. He wants Hanbin to know.

 

“I- I went through some serious .”

 

Although the scenery of their meeting is quite idyllic – cute and cosy coffee shop Hanbin has picked himself because of the heavenly-tasting muffins – Changkyun feels the unpleasant coldness when he hears that. Something snaps in Hanbin’s voice, and it’s enough for Changkyun to know that Hanbin must be still suffering inside.

 

“Tell me.”

 

Hanbin looks up at him, his gaze challenging, but again, Changkyun knows better.

 

“I was in a nuthouse.” Hanbin says angrily. “I spent some quality time in there, you know. All because of you.”

 

“You’ve told them…” Changkyun sighs heavily.

 

“I never thought it might be considered something bad! But they just told me I’m crazy and that you don’t exist! I never got enough courage to come back to that mirror and check if you were still there!”

 

The pain and anger in Hanbin’s voice hurt Changkyun too. He can’t find the right words, probably because there are none. He just wants to hug Hanbin, but he is too afraid of making him even more angry.

 

“I’ve missed you so badly.”

 

Hanbin’s voice turns to a whisper, but even if he said nothing, Changkyun would know.

 

And all of sudden, he is not afraid anymore.

 

///

 

The sweet taste of love he got to know during his summer vacation is nothing compared to how does it feel with Hanbin.

 

Everything is thousand times more intense, every little touch feels like an electrical impulse, hitting through his body with the doubled strength. Like they were the long lost halves that finally found a way to become one again. All broken pieces of Changkyun’s soul just fall into right places now, with Hanbin’s fingers carefully trailing along his body, with Hanbin’s lips against his skin.

 

He finally feels happy and complete, and he knows it for sure, because he sees himself very well, as he reflects in Hanbin’s eyes.

“We won’t need that mirrors anymore,” Hanbin says, and Changkyun giggles, running his hand through Hanbin’s messy hair.

 

“Do you want to get rid of them? They are a proof that magic exists.”

 

“No. You are. We are. We don’t need them.”

 

Changkyun doesn’t want to protest, not when Hanbin’s lips are so close to his, so he just nods his head and leans in to kiss him.

 

Hanbin tastes so good, tastes of happiness, tastes of dreams coming true. His hands on Changkyun’s back are warm and soft, pulling him closer and closer, making their skin touch, and Changkyun shivers again. He is sure that he will never have enough of this, no matter what happens.

 

They really don’t need that mirrors anymore, Hanbin’s right. What for, if they can see each other through one another, and glimpse into each other’s souls with ease.

 

They are each other’s mirrors.

 

///