Chapter 3

Deja Vu

With a heavy heart, Yoongi climbed the steps to the university’s language building. Above him, his best friends were waiting. Jung Hoseok and Kim Namjoon. The trio had been close friends since they were in diapers, going through all of life’s events together. Namjoon was actually the one who had introduced Yoongi to Jimin…

 

Hoseok wrapped his infinitely-friendly arms around Yoongi’s small frame as Namjoon hurried them into the building. “Hey Yoongz. It’s nice to see you back,” Namjoon bumped his hip against Yoongi’s.

 

Yoongi just shrugged, “Figured it wouldn’t do me any good hiding in my room. I kind of missed school…” Hoseok giggled and immediately launched into an account of everything that Yoongi had missed in the three months that he was off campus.

 

The three walked together into their shared English Literature class, Hoseok leaning heavily on Yoongi’s shoulders. Their professor stood at his desk, talking to a short male student with fiery red hair. As Yoongi looked the new boy up and down, he got a strange feeling in his chest. He seems so familiar… Namjoon dragged them to their desks, where Yoongi was deposited in the middle. 

 

As the students prepared for another lecture, the professor walked to the whiteboard, motioning the boy to take a seat in the audience. The boy nodded and turned, allowing Yoongi and his Crew to finally get a look at his face. Yoongi’s jaw dropped, and, on either side of him, he watched Namjoon and Hoseok react the same.

 

A slightly round face with pronounced cheekbones and chubby cheeks. Small body but strong and muscled. Soft eyes and puffy lips. Standing before them now was an exact replica… 

 

Yoongi couldn’t breathe as the boy met his eyes, smiling Jimin’s soft smile. Red!Jimin approached and took a seat at the table in front of them. After pulling out his folder and setting it on the desk, he took out colorful pens (Jimin loved those) and lined them up next to the paper (Just like how Jimin did). His preparations finished, he turned in his chair to face Yoongi. He blinked wide, innocent eyes (Jimin’s eyes) up at Yoongi and grinned (If only he was Jimin…)

 

Ever-talkative Hoseok found his voice first and smiled back at the kid. “Hello! Are you new to the university?”

 

The kid nodded and held out his hand. “Yeah, I just moved here. My name’s Jimin! Lee Jimin.” A metaphorical rock settled on Yoongi’s chest and Hoseok’s hand holding the kid’s (Jimin’s) tightened. Jimin seemed not to notice the tension as he turned to Yoongi. “Are you Min Yoongi? Professor Kwon suggested I stick with you. To get used to the university, I guess. I have a feeling we can be friends! For some odd reason, I don’t know why-”

 

Yoongi didn’t let the kid finish. This wasn’t his Jimin. It couldn’t be! Jimin’s dead. Jimin’s dead. Jimin’s dead. JIMIN’S DEAD. Yoongi’s ears filled with a rumbling sound and he took a deep breath. “No. No, we can’t.” Yoongi ignored the surprised, slightly-hurt look on Lee Jimin’s face, ignored the pang it caused in his chest. He pushed himself up from his chair and just walked out. He couldn’t do it; not now, not so soon. 

 

***

 

Namjoon sighed as he watched Yoongi take the stairs two at a time, rushing out of the room and down the hall. They had just gotten Yoongi out of his house and in the world again - and a reborn Jimin had to show up. Which would probably send Yoongi back to Square One. 

 

Returning to the present, Hoseok was rubbing his brow and Jimin was still staring after Yoongi, lost and a bit crushed. Namjoon could understand - if this Lee Jimin was really a speedy reincarnation of Park Jimin, then there might be a small part of his subconscious that recognized Yoongi. Maybe this small part was what led him to choose Yoongi - he had an “odd feeling” that made him want to be with Yoongi. And Yoongi’s angsty rejection had crushed his heart. But the poor thing wouldn’t even know why.

 

Lee Jimin turned to Namjoon, wanting answers. “Did I do something wrong? Was it something I said? I didn’t mean it…”

 

Namjoon sighed again and shook his head. “It’s not your fault. Yoongi’s been having a painful time recently. He lost someone close to him… and you remind him of the person.” Namjoon gave the kid a pained smile as realization dawned on his face.

 

“Oh no! I’m so sorry!” The kid gripped his own hand and held it against his chest - in a very Jimin-like fashion. PARK Jimin-like. 

 

Hoseok tried not to grimace as he patted Lee Jimin’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, kid. Yoongi will come around. In the meantime, we’ll take care of you. I’m Hoseok and that’s Namjoon.” The kid grinned and absently glanced at the whiteboard at the head of the room.

 

Which led them to realize that Professor Kwon had been talking the whole time. Specifically, about the partner project that was coming up. Lists of names were projected on the board from the overhead projector - the partners for the project.

 

Bae Suzy — Baek Jiyoung

Bang Chan — Byun Baekhyun

Cha Eunwoo — Goo Hara

Do Kyungsoo — Ahn Hani

Jung Hoseok — Kim Namjoon

Choi Sooyoung — Kim Chungha

Huang Zitao — Lee Hodong

Han Sanghyuk — Park Hyomin

Jeon Somi — Brian Joo

Min Yoongi — Lee Jimin

Song Minho — Lee Taemin

Jung Ilhoon — Seo Eunkwang — Lee Changsub

 

The room burst into noise as the partners found each other. Loud screams of excitement came from the back of the room as the Wild Trio high-fived and hugged it out - putting them together was a terrible idea on Professor’s part, honestly.

 

Namjoon and Hoseok glanced at each other. How would they tell Yoongi?