Prologue

The Emperor's Mask

A midst a destroyed land, decimated trees, dilapidated mountains and buildings, laid dead silence. Puddles of death scattered across this land, broken weapons, melted armor, gruesome scenery, and constant lines of marked radiation. This weapon that the Prime Minister used, it wiped out his own army, the resistance, nearly everybody in the capital. Half of his own city was destroyed and for one reason, the power he held, the Teigu he had, was his last hope at staying in power. The fail-safe of the Capital, the resistance...it wasn't gone entirely, but this corrupt individual killed his own nation. Taking Leone with him, he decimated half the land.

Among a field of green, wet dirt, laid a familiar figure. Wearing a platinum trench-coat like outfit, he laid there bloodied, and unconscious. Next to him, lye a broken sword with a chain around it. Incursio has broken. The broken, shattered pieces of it, glistening in the sunlight that now coated Tatsumi, drying the blood on his already tattered coat. His hair, covering his inactive eyes, fell to the left side of his face, revealing a small scar on his right eye.

Coming to, he opened his eyes, moved his hands, and felt a familiar feeling of the grass, and earth around him. He squeezed some of the grass next to his sides, and carefully leaned up to get a glimpse of his surroundings with his damaged and blurry vision. When his vision's opacity became normal, he immediately got up from the ground, and struggled to keep himself standing, quickly holding his side. Shaking his head to whisk the now longer hair out of his face, he immediately started to develop anxiety, worrying about Night Raid, his fellow loved ones, and especially, Mine, Akame, and Leone.

He tried to start running, but to no avail, as his side wouldn't let him move more then a limp's pace. As he limped across the field of Earth, he came to a cliff-side and saw the devastation. There were broken down tree limbs, homes, cottages, weapons lye about all over the chipped stone, this side of the Capital had become city ruins.

Tatsumi instantly started searching through the rubble, walking atop broken tile, looking for Akame or Najenda, anything...just a single trace of any of this friends would be enough for him to calm down. Nothing. He felt tears starting to form in his eyes, and he started to go to so many conclusions.

As he walked further among the rubble, he spotted a familiar figure. Her long blue hair glistened in the now piercing sunlight. As he felt his rage build up inside him, he yelled at the figure as loud as his damaged voice let him do so.

"ESDESE! WHAT HAPPENED, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!" Tatsumi could feel his voice fading.

The figure turned around, revealing her crazed and bloodied face. She didn't seem to be damaged, her normal outfit, the familiar cap that looked like it should have been worn by a pirate, the captain's skirt and long white leggings.

"Tatsumi...you survived. I had hope, I knew that this would happen. You would be the last alive, and I would be able to take you in my arms once again...My love." she seemed too content and happy to be bloodied up.

"Esdese...what happened...what happened to the city? What happened to Akame? Leone? Najenda?!" Tatsumi yelled with a cracked up, dying voice. Holding his side, he walked further towards her.

"Well, when the Minister let out that huge hidden card explosion, I'd imagine that they all got disintegrated. I didn't see miss depth perception anywhere. However, I can tell you I didn't kill anybody after I fled from the fight, my love. You don't need to be my enemy anymore. Its over, Night Raid is gone, and the opposing side is in shambles." she explained.

Tatsumi stood there in shock, holding his side. The tattered coat, now letting its dirt fall onto what seemed to be a small shop stand before the explosion.

"Esdese...do you know how many people that the explosion killed? Innocent bystanders...children, Your own Jeagers...it may have even killed YOU!" Tatsumi yelled, with an angry face.\

"I know. The Prime Minister really did betray the lot of us." she crossed her arms as she continued to walk towards him.

"Then how the hell can you continue to be on his side?! I hate you so much. You are the reason my friends died...you enjoy nothing but death...you killed Lubbock, you killed them all!" Tatsumi scowled at her, making her walk faster, in dire annoyance.

When she got close to him, Tatsumi tried to push her away, but he was far to weak to do so. She wrapped her arms around his grimy coat, feeling the dirt that was now stuck to the back of it, signifying that he had been unconscious for a long time. Laying her head on the familiar messy hair of Tatsumi, she took a huge breath and smelt the boy. He smelled of blood, and sweat.

"Tatsumi. I never said I was still on the same side. This shouldn't be something we are worrying about right now. Not whether we are enemies, because we are no longer enemie-

"How the hell can you say that...we fought constantly, you killed Lubbock...you caused all of this to happen!" Tatsumi started to cry. Esdese could feel his tears on her chest, which only made her tighten her grip of her hug.

"You need to be patched up...you are coming with me my love." she moved her hand above his neck, and hit it with one single smack. The boy was now unconscious once again, in his obsessed enemy's arms, his final boss, now taking him into her own arms. Maybe it was true. Maybe...she finally wanted the fight to stop...maybe a sense of betrayal really did show her how corrupt the capital is...However, Tatsumi didn't care anymore. He just wanted to be in an embrace...he wanted it all to go away. He wanted to close his eyes, open them again and see Mine, Akame, and all of Night Raid standing there, having a fun time. He knew that wasn't going to happen.

With Tatsumi now in her arms, asleep, Esdese carried him over her back, walking towards the nearby forest of dead, brown trees from the blast.

"Tatsumi...can you not take this as a sign of our love? We were the last two alive...God was telling us that we were meant for each other. This can't be coincidence." she thought aloud. As she was about to descend into the forest of dead trees, she looked over to the right of herself. There she was, Akame, laid there in a pool of her own blood. Next to her, Murasame laid. She didn't kill her, but she was happy. With Night Raid gone, Tatsumi had nobody left to turn to. He was all hers. She let out a very familiar manic laugh, as she carried her newly found lover through the gray, dead grass.

She could be the one on top. With the minister and emperor dead, there will be rule. Esdese would be the one on top. Esdese, the new empress, she thrived at the sound of that. A small blush appearing on her face, as she thought of all the things she would order to have done when she got into that seat of sorrow.

Esdese, the Empress.