After The Goodbye I Still Loved You

After The Goodbye I Still Loved You

“Hakyeon, you were right. He is a jerk.” Taekwoon muttered as she leaned on the rails, staring into the distant sunset, water reflecting the red sky. Her eyes probably matched but her tears had dried up hours ago.

 

“Taekwoon…..” Hakyeon had been filming for a show when she had got Taekwoon’s message. She hasn’t seen her this down since two years ago.

 

“He was never worth it.”

 

The shaky, broken tone of her voice wasn’t like her and Hakyeon’s heart ached for her friend. “Taekwoon….why don’t we grab some tea together?”

 

Taekwoon turned around to face her friend, the sad smile and the broken light in her eyes made Hakyeon feel even worse. Maybe she should’ve stopped her from talking to Wonshik and maybe none of this would’ve happened. But it would’ve happened either way.

 

“That sounds nice.”  

 


 

5 Months Later

 

Taekwoon hummed softly as she lightly wrote on and looked over the piece of paper in front of her.

 

“Taekwoon, a letter came in for you.” Sanghee walked into the room placing the letter next to the paper on the table.

 

She placed down her pencil, turning over the envelope in her hands, “Another fan letter?”

 

“That’s...what I’m assuming.” Sanghee watched her carefully as she began to open the letter. “Ah! I just remembered I have to get back to work.” Sanghee turned to walk out of the room leaving the singer all alone in the small training room.

 

Taekwoon turned her attention back to opening the letter and felt a small smile brighten her face, she couldn't wait to read another one of her lovely fan’s letters. Pulling out the letter a CD case fell out with it clattering onto the table. Taekwoon froze staring down at the words that have been scrawled onto top of the CD.


‘Starlit Night’

 

Teardrops dripped onto the table. The song that had brought them together, Wonshik had sent it to her. She slowly picked up the case with shaky hands. This was the first song Wonshik had written for her when she was still starting out in her singing career, when everything had been hard for her.

 

Wonshik had come into her life like a bright star at that time, warm and comforting, he helped her through her troubles with such gentle words. Taekwoon had hoped it would last forever.

 

Tears blurred her vision and a deep feeling bubbled up from within her. With one hard throw the CD case flew across the room cracking as it hit the opposite wall hard. Taekwoon clutched her long hair, wanting to pull it all out. Her tears won’t stop and the indescribable feeling in her chest won’t go away.

 

Why now, when everything was going great. Why now would he send something like this when she was finally giving him up in her heart. Why now after everything that has happened.

 

Taekwoon stared down at the letter in front of her. She wanted to tear it up and burn it without ever reading a single word. But of course curiosity won over her overwhelming emotional feelings. Slowly unfolding the letter, Taekwoon begin to read.

 

Dear Taekwoon,

 

I know you may never read this. You probably hate me so much that you would result to burning this before even reading what I have to say. You always did have a short temper.

 

If this letter does somehow enter your hands and you are reading this, I want you to know that I know everything I’ve done so far cannot be forgiven. But, Taekwoon, please know that everything I’ve done is all because of my love for you. You are right, Taekwoon, when you said that “I love you” is not enough anymore.

 

When I first met you I didn’t believe love to be such a strong emotion that it could change a person. But love ended up changing me into who I am today. I really do still love you, Taekwoon. Even if that isn’t enough, please listen to what I have to say.

 

I sincerely apologize that I never told you the reason for our breakup. Maybe it was because I was scared, scared that you would hate me even more than you probably do now. I’ve tried many times to tell you the truth but I could never figure out how to tell you without you getting mad.

 

That’s when I decided that it is better to just tell you now. Two years ago…..my parents called me. My father hasn’t been doing too well and since I’m their only male son they wanted me to come home and take over the family business. My parents have always been against me composing and producing music. At the time I was conflicted, becoming a producer had always been my dream but I also wanted to make sure my father was doing well. So I ended up making a promise to them that if my dream job didn’t work out I would come home.

 

But if I ever became the Producer I’ve always dreamed of then I would send them some money and marry you. My parents became quite furious after they heard I wanted to marry you, after all they had always believed I would come home, take over the family business, and marry our next door neighbor’s daughter. I wanted nothing to do with my parents after that but I just couldn’t abandon them and my little sister.

 

That’s when I decided that I should….break up with you, Taekwoon. I loved you so much to the point that I never wanted to hurt you. I didn’t want to put you through anymore pressure than you were dealing with at the moment, which is why I never told you. So I thought that if I were to break up with you and focus more on my job and show my parents that it wasn’t just a waste of my time, than maybe they would accept my choice and they would accept you. I don’t know why I thought that….but I realize how wrong I was now, Taekwoon. Now I can’t take back what’ve I’ve done and all the pain I’ve caused you.

 

After we had broken up, I worked hard to make quality music but sometimes it was never enough. It was only after our reunion, you had ran out of the studio, leaving me to have to release a low quality song. I ended up getting criticism for it. Afterwards, I just couldn’t focus on my music anymore and I ended up getting less and less offers as the months went by.

 

You’ve gotten your revenge now, Taekwoon. Because I ended up leaving you for my dream, you’ve crushed my dream right before my eyes. I’ve quit as a Producer. Right at this moment I’m probably heading home to work at my family business and take care of my family.

 

I’ll miss you, Taekwoon. I hope you forget about me who has hurt you and find happiness in someone else. Just know, Taekwoon, I’ll never forget about you. When I had first met your eyes full of starlight. I knew you were the one.

 

Goodbye, Taekwoon.

 

Taekwoon felt cold and lifeless. Wonshik was leaving. He is fading out of her life and going home to live a life that is not his own. Taekwoon knew she should be happy that he is fading away, so she can forget about him and live happy now. But deep down inside she knew she couldn’t live her life without Wonshik and she couldn’t stand the thought of Wonshik not composing songs anymore. Taekwoon remembers the times she spent in his studio as he played various unnamed tracks, always with a twinkle in his eyes and a wonderfully bright smile as he talked about how much he enjoyed making people smile with his music.

 

Wonshik had loved music and she had taken that away from him.

 

Taekwoon stood up quickly, passing Sanghee in the hallway. “Taekwoon, why are you in such a hurry?!”

 

She didn’t care anymore if Wonshik had hurt her or not, all she knows is that she wants to see the happy and passionate Wonshik she had grown to love and nobody else. Even if they aren’t meant to be. At least….

 

A teardrop slid down her cheek as she ran out of the building.

 

At least he should be happy without her there.

 


 

Everything hurt. Emptiness and nothingness filling him up inside. Looking up at the sky one last time, Wonshik wondered if this was really goodbye.

 

A sudden surge of energy urged him to run to her, to explain everything and stay with her. But he knew he couldn’t do that anymore. Not after everything he has done to her.

 

“Goodbye, Taekwoon.” Wonshik closed his eyes, taking in the the surrounding sounds and the wind that rushed past him. Everything has a reason and if they weren’t meant to be together. Wonshik opened his eyes, a tear slipping down his cheek. At least she would be happy now that he is out of her life.

 

With one more glance to the sky, he picked up his luggage next to him, getting ready to enter the bus.

 

“Please don’t leave!”

 

Wonshik stopped, turning around with eyes wide he found a teary eyed Taekwoon standing there holding onto his arm.

 

The bus continued on with its route and Wonshik knew he had nowhere to run now.

 

“Wonshik, I got your letter.”

 

“How-”

 

“Please don’t give up your dreams.” Taekwoon’s eyes glazed over with hope and tears. “So what if your parents wished you to take over the business. That’s not a decision they can make for you, Wonshik. You should be able to make your own decisions on how you want to live and keep on reaching for those dreams, and never quit dreaming. What happened to that Wonshik I used to know! The Wonshik that held so much passion and love for music….What happened to him?!”

 

“Taekwoon…”

 

“You think everything will be just fine if you walk out now. So what if you got criticism for one song and not many people like your music right now. You're still young and still learning. Everyone makes mistakes and is still able to learn from those mistakes and stand up again. Wonshik, I can’t forgive you for everything. But please don’t stop making music. I….hate seeing you like this. You used to be so passionate about your music and how you want to make everyone smile. Even if everyone hates the music you make, I will still love it with all my heart. Because those beautiful melodies were made from your sweat and tears, and I don’t think I've ever seen someone so passionate and hardworking about music as you are, Wonshik.”

 

Wonshik blinked, “You're not mad?....”

 

“Of course, I’m mad at you, Idiot.” Taekwoon hit him lightly on the arm. “You kept this secret for so long. You made me believe you hated me and you ended up giving up after getting this far.” Taekwoon’s eyes softened, “More than being angry at you for giving up on your dream, I believe I’m still angry that you would give up on our love, just because of your parents. I really thought you were better than that, Wonshik.”

 

Wonshik let out a soft sigh, “I know. I’ve always regretted that day. I didn’t want to make you even more stressed out than you were already, so I kept quiet about it. That was when I realized if I was to show my parents that hard work will pay off in the end, I would have to narrow my focus to that and nothing else. It was only after we broke up that was the biggest mistake of my life, letting you go. I had wished to marry you one day but, after day, I realized that I had just ruined that chance. I knew you didn’t deserve me anymore after foolishly hurting you like that and it only hurt me career in the end. If I could wish for anything, it would be to return to two years ago when we were so young and in love, and tell you everything that needs to be said. I’ve wished it everyday for the past two years because I know I don’t deserve a second chance.”

 

Both them had tears rolling down their cheeks now. Taekwoon smiled softly, reaching up to lightly his cheek. “Wonshik, everyone deserves a second chance. It’s late but, thank you for telling me everything.”

 

Wonshik began to cry harder, cracking a smile for the first time in weeks, “I don’t deserve your love, Taekwoon.”

 

“I still love you, Wonshik.”

 

After they calmed down a bit, the two sat at a nearby bench to just talk.

 

Staring up at the bright blue sky together, Wonshik couldn’t think of anything better.

 

“What now?”

 

Taekwoon hummed softly and Wonshik wouldn't lie if he said that he had missed her beautiful radiant voice that still sent butterflies fluttering through his chest after all these years. “Well visiting your parents first, of course. I have yet to meet them and, even though this might not be the best time, I have to show them that they won’t regret having me as a future daughter-in law.”

 

Wonshik blushed red, “We’re already talking about that?”

 

“Well you did say you wished to marry me.”

 

Wonshik nodded softly, “I know. I just don’t know if I can go against them like this.”

 

Taekwoon placed her hand on his, “It’s alright, Wonshik. You won’t be alone now, you’ve got me by your side. And if your parents are still against your dream and our love, you’ll have all my support and Jaehwan’s support.”

 

“Jaehwan?”

 

Taekwoon nodded, “You might not know of it but he had been very worried for you. He was the one that encouraged me to talk to you all those months ago. Jaehwan seems like a very loyal and faithful friend to have around.”

 

Wonshik smiled, “Yeah, he is.”

 

“I’ve missed you, Wonshik. I know I still can’t fully forgive you for everything, but I hope we can slowly grow closer again. Even if it’s little by little, I hope we can stay together for a long time.”

 

“I’ve missed you too, Taekwoon. I would like that, starting over again. I wish to have you stay by my side for eternity. I just don’t know what to do know about my dream. I haven’t been getting any offers lately.”

 

“You can always write a song for me again. It’s the new start to our love and dreams and you should have a chance to make it come true. Make your parents proud to call you their son, they wouldn’t want their one and only son to become a failure.”

 

Wonshik chuckled and hug her closer, kissing her on the head. “What would I do without you, Taekwoon.”

 

Wonshik and Taekwoon sat there most of the day, enjoying each other's company and catching up on the things they missed these past two years. Their bond had grown stronger and they knew, whatever life would throw at them, they would remain strong in their love for each other and for their dreams.