Nothing Rhymes With Orange.

Trials of Deception

    This was completely ludicrous, I was waiting for an inmate so I could ask him to join my team of investigators, an FBI agent and a criminal, it sounded like some lame television drama! Just because he has prior knowledge of robbery, he’s supposed to be of some huge help to me? The Director must think I’m an idiot. I stared down at my shiny black stilettos debating on whether or not I was going to splurge on a new pair soon, these one’s seemed a little scuffed almost too much to look professional, I was looking for anything to occupy my mind at this point. While the guards here took their time getting me the prisoner I wished to see, I toiled away in silence. 
    The door to the meeting room opened and a large burley guard walked in. He was spot on in his uniform code looking ever the image of the straight laced government prison guard. He had broad shoulders and a neat buzz cut that made him look like he came here straight from the military.
    “Agent Song…the prisoner says he will not meet with you today.”  I sighed shaking my head as I stood up dusting my slacks smooth from the thighs and fixing my jacket. The click of my heels echoed in the virtually empty room as I stepped to the guard putting us face to face. 
    “Why.” I stated flatly. I didn’t drive three hours here to be turned away without completing what I was sent to do. The director wanted Jung Daehyun on our team, so I would succeed in getting him there, it was my sole duty to deliver what the Director ordered. 
    “He says he is not interested in what you have to offer. I’m sorry, you’ll have to leave now.” I scoffed tucking my hands into my pockets. He was being polite enough, but I didn’t take kindly to people of a lower rank than me telling me what I did and did not need to do. 
    “Sir, I’m sure you’re just doing your job…but if you want to keep that job I suggest you march back in there and tell the inmate, he has no choice in the matter, and he will see me today. Trust me when I tell you…” I stepped forward so I was almost flush against him and could look him directly into the eye with as much menace as I could muster. I was a tiny girl so I had to double the glare with such a large man. “If  I have to leave here without speaking to Jung Daehyun, you will never guard so much as a Krispy Kreme for the rest of your life…do I make myself clear SIR!” 
    “Yes Ma’am!” he snapped into action giving me a salute before he turned and went back out. My assumption about him coming from the military seemed to be right, the way he reacted when a superior ordered a subordinate, it was ingrained in the way he moved. Nodding appreciation at his good listening skills, I went back to the seat and waited with my arms crossed over my chest.  I counted the number of shoes I had in my closet and arranged them mentally by bran and color so I could decide exactly what pair I would be buying as I waited another five minutes for the guards to deliver. The door to the holding area finally opened and a male in the prison’s orange jumpsuit stumbled in as a guard shoved his shoulder forward. 
    “Jung Daehyun Ma’am.” the guard said happy with himself before leaving the room again shutting the door. I looked over the inmate who would be my team member. He was medium height, slender, didn’t look like he could hold his own with someone who was bigger than him, he honestly didn’t look like much at all. He had bleached blonde hair with dark roots and multi colored tips, what was he a high school kid? Who actually took this guy seriously? 
    “I guess you’re the one I have to thank for this.” Daehyun spoke for the first time as he finally looked up at me. He pointed to a pair of plump lips one with a cut where someone had busted it open. Shame…they were such a nice pair of lips I had to admit. I guess that guard was more afraid of me than he was of the warden reprimanding him for hurting an inmate.  He had a pretty face as well, one that if I hadn’t known he was a criminal on the FBI’s most wanted list I might have found myself attracted to.  I wondered how often he had used that to pull off one of his heists. Charmed a pretty girl into just letting him walk out with something of huge value.
    “All I asked was to meet you, I have nothing to do with how prisoners are treated behind closed doors.” I stated honestly. Daehyun cocked a brow obviously not believing me. I had known that it was likely this would happen, when you threatened a guards lively hood, it wasn’t likely they’d take it easy on the criminal who was the reason for the threat. I had little sympathy towards Daehyun however since he’d brought it on himself by denying me a visit.  He chuckled as he pulled out the seat and sat down his hand cuffs jingling as he went.  He placed his cuffed hands on the table intertwining his long slender fingers. Piercingly dark eyes stared at me over the table as he assessed me. He probably assessed every situation like this, a cause of the job I assumed, one who pulled off as many high priced con’s as this guy, had to have an discerning eye. 
    “Well here I am Agent…so I’ll tell you in person, I’m not interested. You aren’t the first Agent who has come in here asking for something from me, I mean I’m very useful in many aspects, however, they never have anything good to offer, and the constant visits from the bureau are making my life in jail even harder, so…if you don’t mind tell you colleagues I am no longer for sale.”  He gave me the most charming yet obviously fake smile I’d ever had turned my way and with that he moved to stand up and leave. I gave him a second to actually get up and move a step away, give him a sense that he actually had a choice in the matter before I decided to rope him in for good.
    “What if I could tell you I’m authorized to get you out of here.”  Daehyun stopped showing me I had his interest. I knew that one would work, a man like Daehyun, accustomed to the finer things in life, and the all the comforts he wanted; would never be able to handle jail, especially for the amount of time he was looking at. He would be chewing at the bit to get out of here at the first opportunity. 
    “You can’t do that, I’m in here for good this time.” he said looking back over his shoulder. I could see hope in his eyes however, he wanted me to prove him wrong. I smirked deciding not to drag it out to long. I had prior engagements to attend to and no time to waste. Leaning forward on the table I looked up at him with the most trustworthy look I could give to someone like him.
    “The bureau is willing to do anything to solve this case…even let out a crook like you. With some stipulations of course.”  he turned around sitting back in his chair. That took no time at all, he was completely tied into the conversation now.  
    “What’s the deal, I get out as long as I’m helping you with the case then when it’s over I’m stuck back in the pen?” There was a hint of disdain in his tone. He’d been offered a deal like that before, and he wasn’t happy with something like that. What I had to offer had to be something no one had given him before, something that would actually give him ease of the mind while he worked. 
    “No, you’ll be released into my custody until the case is over, at which time your case will be re-examined taking into account the help you have offered to the Bureau, that and a swimming recommendation from the director I’m sure you’ll find the time left on your sentence will be much more affordable.” Daehyun stared at his hands on the table in front of him. He was hooked, I could see it swimming in his features, he didn’t want to be in jail for the rest of his life who would, the thought terrified him, I could guarantee him much less time, this had to be a better offer than the ones he’d received before. He bit that plump bottom lip of his wincing slightly at the pain of the forgotten wound as he thought over the offer. 
    “How much time are we talking?” he asked with a little less hostility in his voice this time around. He was just trying to hold out for a better offer form me, make me think that he wasn’t going to take it so I’d freak and give him a better deal. Sorry guy, two can play this con game. 
    “That depends on how big your contribution to the case is.” he sighed nodding. He realized I wasn’t going to be easy to trick.  
    “Can I see the case file?” I smirked encouraged by the question. I pulled out the file from my briefcase and opened it onto the table in front of him. It wasn’t nearly the whole case file, two years of information was a lot to tote around in a briefcase. It was the basic, most essential information, something for him to wet his whistle with, something to give him a feel of what he was getting into.  Releasing a low whistle he moved the pages around looking over the file. “I can see why you need my help, all of these heists were from the same group of people? They’ve made a killing in the short time they were active…have they made any new moves recently?” he was completely enthralled by this…there was excitement in his eyes at seeing this. It was his life in front of him, these where his people. He could relate, and he was salivating at what he found most interesting in the world. Robbery.  
    “No new moves in the last  two years, they were only actively attacking for 9 months.” he flipped heatedly through the file, his eyes ravishing the pages. I reached out snapping the file closed and pulled it back towards me. He looked up at me startled by my sudden action. 
    “Wae?” 
    “Will you take the offer, or will you go back in there to live the rest of your life in jail.”  Daehyun stared me down as he tried to read me but I schooled all my features knowing well how to hide anything I was thinking. When he clapped his hands against the table and started laughing I momentarily thought he was insane. 
    “Alright Agent…I’m in, get me out of here orange isn’t my color.”