C.2

VENDETTA

Chapter 2


 

The next news, a man in his early twenties was found last night, drowned in his bathtub. The police gave a statement that they suspected that it was a foul play but had found no signs of any break-in or any other evidence to support their suspicion. However, an investigation will be hold to confirm all the facts before his death will be declared as suicide. The police asks for the public to contact them if they have any information regarding the case, relayed the newscaster on the TV.

She flicked the remote control to switch off the television, ignored her soggy cereals and threw herself on the couch. She could hear footsteps nearing her door, the usual clack-clack with one foot hitting the steel rungs of the staircase heavily than the other. She closed her eyes to try and calm herself down, readying herself for a stoic expression. She wiped out any emotion that could show and opened her eyes in time for a sturdy and steady knocks on her door. Her stomach jumped to and she chided herself for it because despite everything, she still can't stop herself from trembling.

She rose from her seat, stared at the long forgotten breakfast on the table and was grateful that she didn't eat much. She steeled herself once again and unlocked the three locks on her door.

Oof!

She had expected it but it still knocked the air out of her lungs but she stood up back immediately. An angry 'boss' and lying on the floor will only bring her more pain. One time, she stayed on the floor whimpering and he had given her a beating that cost her bruised ribs and fractured tibia. Since then, she got back up quickly before he could deliver another blow. She always wondered how the man could kick so hard when he had a limp and that always distracted her from the lingering pain at her side.

He invited himself in. She closed the door and meekly followed him from behind. Her apartment was pretty small but she didn't have a lot of stuff with her so it seemed more spacey and with no nosy neighbor, she was satisfied with the quiet and peace. That, however, bode really well with her employer because there will be no one around complaining of a possible, let’s say, rough handling.

"Last night was her doing. Can't you be more refined? A clean getaway?"

"It won't happen again."

"Heck yea, it won't. You'll see what happen next time if you slip up again," he emphasized on again.

"At this rate, our reputation will be a laughing stock. My reputation will be smeared. I will have no mercy and you know I have a short temper. Angering me will do you no good," he limped to her dining room.

He laughed maniacally when he saw the unfinished bowl of cereal, complete satisfaction and mirth replaced the scowl on his face.

"Ah! The morning news. You knew that I was coming didn't you? I guess you are not as stupid as the es at work. Good. I'll spare you this time but do not expect that you're off the hook."

He returned to the living room, observing the room carefully before heading for the door.

"You're smart. You replaced the wooden chairs with a sofa and not a single photo frame. Your bowl is disposable too," he commented before exiting the apartment.

Her stomach churned uncomfortably and she could taste the bile in . Within seconds, she was throwing up what little food she ate down the toilet, her side aching as she forced the vomit out. Her legs turned jelly and unable to support her weight, her knees buckled and hit the rough concrete, scraping her knees. Even when all the food was out of her system, her stomach still felt funny and she ended up gagging and throwing up water instead. Her head spun, dizzy and the last thing she remembered was his mirthful expression, mocking her, before the world out.

 

V E N D E T T A

 

She wasn't in any particular mood as she got dressed in her black skinny jeans and a gray tank top. She abandoned the bed, quietly picked up her blouse from the floor and tucked a hundred dollar bill underneath the blanket and went out the room. She shrugged her blouse on and swiftly buttoned it up while heading for the elevator. Despite her attempt to wake up early and leave at an ungodly hour, there were still people up and about. Most of them were drunks which annoyed her very much, especially when they decided to flirt and hit on her. Maybe she used up all her luck at work because more than often, someone will strike up a rather incomprehensible conversation, as they were tanked. When she got onto the elevator, there was a perfect example of the drunks that she would absolutely avoid but alas she was too late to get out and the door closed on her.

"Hey there, why don't you c-c-come uup to my rwoom?"

His breath reeked of alcohol and in a very confined space, the smell had nowhere to go and she scrunched up her face. He was in his late thirties, maybe, and his creased coat, half tucked dress shirt and a tie around his head were pretty indicative that he was a businessman. She ignored him, folded her arms across her chest and waited for the elevator door to open at whatever level so she could get away from him.

"Hey! Lisween when peepople are talkkking to yaw!"

He grabbed her arm but she instinctively twisted it to his back, tightening her grip as she threatened him not to ever touch her again.

"SORRRYY! I’M SO SORRY SO PLEEEASE LET ME GO!"

Just in time, the door dinged open and she threw him aside and hopped out. He was still sitting on the floor, groaning in pain when the door closed. Luckily no one was around to give her the looks if they saw the wincing man nearly as twice as big than herself on the ground.

She strode across the lobby, headed for the receptionist - she noticed that it was an unfamiliar face and guessed that they had changed shifts.

"Uh, good morning?"

"I'm from room 3004."

"Ah, you rented the room for one night and you still have 6 hours before the time is up. Are you checking out?"

"I'm leaving now. I'll pay so extend it until noon. Give this note to the person from the same room."

The receptionist had lots in her mind making up theories of what had happened but maintained a friendly smile. She accepted both the note and the payment for the extension and bade her a good day. If it wasn't for the camera monitoring the reception desk, she would have read the note. Surely it'll provide an explanation for the odd request and behavior.

 

V E N D E T T A


 

A man sat in his chair, waiting and anticipating. There were others with him, a mix of his own men and other men in the business. The room was filled with empty chatters and there were servers who served whiskey and hard liquor as refreshments for the men as they mingle around. Some were smoking in the smoking room, laughing boisterously as they get high while the cigar smokers freely smoke in the room without minding others. A room filled with muscular men as bodyguards, fancy coat, smoke and alcoholic beverages summed up to one. It's an illegitimate business dealing.

The clock ticked twelve and finally it was the main event that he has been waiting for. His fellow acquaintances sat with him at the very front row with their bodyguards standing rigidly behind them.

"Gentlemen, welcome! For tonight's auction, may I present to you… THIS!."

He clicked on the remote and the item was projected into a large screen and there was a brief silence before the men clapped, impressed by a platinum ring studded with a 7 carat diamond in which little red rubies were imbedded on it.

"The Bloody Diamond, crafted by the Italians, is one out of the three in the collection. Many sought for it for years and you gentlemen are lucky to have attended this auction. Due to its rarity, we are not allowed to show the real deal in front of you all and only the highest bid will be able to see it. The price starts at 1.2 million won."

The man sat quietly in his seat while the others complained of the high starting price but began to bid nonetheless. The number began to rise slowly - 1.25mil to 1.3mil to 1.4mil and so on. The man remained silent. His acquaintances were starting to get heated, each of them wanted to win and possess the exquisite gem but he remained quiet.

"Highest bid so far is 3.5 million won. Going once, goin…"

"10 million!"

"As expected of the Red Ox. Okay, 10 million. Going once, going twice. Sold to the young master!"

There were dissatisfied jeers but no one dared say anything. Despite being only the head for 2 months, the 24 years old man was steadily rising up to fame amongst the clan and his business partners. He had learned the reins of the business when his father had fallen ill and after his death, he had been staying up late into the night working. At first, no one took him seriously because of his age but he had shown them that he was perfectly capable of managing the clan so bit by bit, people started respecting him. He was smart, graduated from a prestigious college and he had the aptitude of a leader which naturally helped him when he had to take over the clan. It has been a year since and while accumulating respects and wealth, he had also racked up the number of enemies in the business. For this reason, he had hired rank SS bodyguards to protect him and occasionally,  he would practice sword fighting and martial arts with the clan.

"And that was the end of our auction. Gentlemen, you are welcomed to stay and get wasted. There are rooms, as most of you are already familiar with, and a companion to keep you entertained. Just be careful."

He snickered to himself before going down the stage and approached the highest bidder.

"Greetings sir. If you'll follow me to the office, I'll be giving you the information on your latest buy. Unless of course you want to enjoy the party first."

"Let's get on with it."

Unlike his other business partners, he kept a relatively clean private life and not once was he caught in a scandal. He never fooled around with a willing companion and would rather lock himself in the office to do work or spend time with his fiancé and soon-to-be wife. He believed that a man should be faithful and loyal to his woman and his family-slash-clan.

"I understand. I assume you'll bring your bodyguards along?"

"I'll have them stationed outside the door. That okay with you?"

"Absolutely! Here, this way."

He, along with his two bodyguards, followed him from behind, passed by a long corridor and at least 7 doors of soundproof rooms before reaching a room labeled 'Main office'. The auctioneer knocked ln the door twice, identified himself and the door was unlocked.

"My boss will meet you inside."

Signaling for his bodyguards to stand guard, he entered the office and met a familiar face who then dismissed a woman scantily dressed to another room at the side.

"Seungjin! As expected, you're quite the bidder."

"And you never change. Where is it?"

"My money?"

"Check your account. I deposited it."

"My man! Why the rush? Have a drink with me."

"Stop trying to play me. I won't fall for your tricks."

"I'm hurt. Can't a man see his friend be happy?"

"You're not a friend and I'm quite happy with my fiancé."

"Whatever. You're missing out. Here. I put it in a bank locker. Same place as last time."

Seungjin took the key and turned to the door.

"Take it easy. You aren't getting any younger."

He left the room and secured the key in his chest pocket.

"Let's go. I still have to stop by somewhere."