pt. 1

when opposites attract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wen Junhui had a reputation around school. It wasn't anything too big, and well, probably not anything too serious either. He was just one of those students who didn’t go by the school rules. Things were all free game to him. Hair regulations? Junhui had no time for keeping his hair black and short. It started out with brown, and eventually it felt too simple so he went and made his hair blonde. Uniform rules? Vests were too hot to wear and tight neckties annoyed his neck, so he kept it loose like your typical rebel student.

Imagine a rebel student.

That’s probably Junhui right there. 

So it went without saying that along with his multiple school violations, it also came with detention hours. Lots of detention hours. Probably enough detention hours to fill up more than half of his school days. Well, Junhui didn’t mind as much. With school ending at 4 o'clock and detention lasting only an hour, he would usually make it home just in time for dinner. Junhui figured he didn’t have to be home so early anyway.  

Detention was usually a good way to meet friends too, as odd as it sounded. With Junhui being such a regular face in detention, people who usually ended up in detention knew they at least won’t be there alone. Junhui became friends with people like Wonwoo, who was always late for class, and Jeonghan, who always fell asleep in class. They were there less hours than him, but still. Occasionally, there would be new faces. Like Xu Minghao, nice quiet kid, who may have “accidentally” spilled juice on a guy named Mingyu once. Twice.

However, today, Junhui received the biggest detention surprise ever.

“Cheer up, man,” the Chinese boy said, awkwardly patting the back of the boy beside him. “It’s just one hour, it’s not a big deal.”

Still, Hong Jisoo continued to plant his forehead onto the desk, groaning.

If Junhui was the classic rebel student, then Jisoo was the perfect example of a perfect student. His hair was black and trimmed the appropriate length. His uniform was always neat and tidy, paired with shiny black shoes. He was never late for class. He aced all of his subjects and made sure to pass everything on time, no matter what. He was even usually class president. Junhui’s been classmates with him since forever, but they never really talk, since it felt unnatural with how opposite they were. 

There was also the small case of how Junhui may have developed a tiny crush on Jisoo in the past few years. It started out as curiousity, like most things; he knew they were different, and it made Junhui notice him more. His movements, his small habits like the way he would cover his mouth whenever he laughs, things like that. It was, well, cute. Jisoo was cute, handsome even, and Junhui knew how to appreciate good looks since he was born with plenty himself. They never talked or anything, so the crush was something Junhui would keep at the back of his mind instead. 

Yet, due to some magical twist of fate, there they were. Side by side. In the detention room, of all places.

"I don't deserve this," Jisoo whined for the umpteenth time. "I'm not supposed to be here." 

Junhui continued patting his back in awkward movements, "there, there, class president. It's not that bad. You're human too." 

Jisoo lifted his head up to stare at Junhui with sad, sad eyes. 

"I've never not worn my ID. Ever. It's always been--" 

"Right on top of your folded uniform, I know." 

"That's right! Except this morning it was--" 

"Suddenly missing and you didn't know where to find it."

Jisoo nodded furiously, "exactly! And it was either--" 

"Go to school without an ID or be late, but you were definitely not risking having both offenses," Junhui said, holding back the urge to roll his eyes because Jisoo genuinely looked like he was on the brink of crying a little. The boy was cute, but this was a new level. At least they were the only ones in detention that day, because it felt like Jisoo would have melted into a puddle if anybody else had to witness his one hour of detention. Junhui was personally glad he was around to see it. 

"Have I said it that much?" Jisoo asked, suddenly shy. 

Junhui nodded, "definitely. I've heard it 3 times and we've only been here for 10 minutes." 

Jisoo became quiet for the next few minutes, blushing out of what was probably embarrassment. Junhui had retracted the hand comforting Jisoo and went back to keeping a significant amount of distance between the two of them, suddenly aware of what he's been doing lately. Silence fell quickly, mainly because Junhui just wasn't sure what to say. He's never had this problem before. He was good with words, knew how to turn up the charm and charisma and made friends easily, that was a fact; but suddenly around Jisoo, his mind was blank. 

Maybe it was the crush thing. 

"So,"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter