004

Pretty Far From A Fairytale

“Seulgi, you’re fired.” Sehun says so casually like he was just talking about the weather. He was driving Seulgi and Taeoh home after their Jeju trip.

Sehun didn’t have all the details from Jongin, but from what he’d heard, the two are far from ironing things out. It seemed like Seulgi didn’t want to face the issue, while Jongin was just completely oblivious. Or in denial, Sehun can’t tell for sure.

“What?! You can’t possibly be serious?” Seulgi asked incredulously.

“Oh no, I am. I just figured since the terms of your resignation in Jongin’s company was not under the right circumstance then the contract you signed with me is null and void.”

“You… You know I have responsibilities. Please don’t do this to me.”

“It’s not like you’ll be unemployed. You have your job waiting for you in Jongin’s office.”

Seulgi thought there was no point in arguing with Sehun. He, much like Jongin was, is far too determined. If he’s made up his mind, then Seulgi knew there was no changing that. Yet she still somehow can’t shake the feeling that things are catching up to her.

Nonetheless her responsibilities and priorities as a mother has to come first. So she it all up and just tries to braise herself for what’s to come the next day.

 

 

 

Seulgi stands in front of the glass doors that lead to the her and Jongin’s office. She hasn’t walked this hallway in years. She was far from being okay, but she was ready to put everything behind her at least for the time being and be professional.

Jongin smiled seeing her walk through that door.

The talk with Seulgi after the conference was rather very satisfying for him. They were both had come to the agreement to not talk about what happened in the past if they were going to salvage their relationship as friends.

At lunch, Seulgi was greeted with happy cheers from her old friends. Again, she felt that sort of tug at her gut realizing how much she’s missed having them around.

Ever since she left, she mostly kept to herself; a form of punishing herself for what she’d done. But with time that slowly turned into yearning. Yearning for the laughter and fun times she could share with people she can call her friends.

“When are you gonna introduce us to Taeoh?” Joohyun bugged her.

“On the weekend, maybe? He’s at day care today.”

Seulgi’s mobile suddenly starts ringing. She looks at the screen and excuses herself from her friends.

“It’s the day care.” Was all she said.

After the call was dropped, Seulgi ran back to the office building to see if Jongin was back from lunch with his mother.

“Hey boss… Uhm, do you mind if I leave for the day?”

“First day back at the job and you’re already cutting your hours?” Jongin replied. He had a smile playing on his lips. Seulgi knows he was just joking.

“Sorry. The day care called and Taeoh bit another kid.”

Jongin looked up from the document he was reading, worry painted all over his face. Seulgi’s hand twitched at the sight of Jongin looking so worried, but she quickly dismissed the feeling and covered that twitch by bringing her hand back.

“Is he okay?” Jongin asked. He’s already stood up from his seat.

“H-he is. I just need to go get him.”

“Okay, I’ll drive you there.” He said with finality. When Seulgi looked as if she’s going to question him, he quickly added, “I have nothing else left today right? You’ll get there faster if I drive you.”

Jongin put on his coat and called for Seulgi to follow him.

When the two got to the day care, they were surprised. Taeoh was hiding under a table crying.

“I don’t get it. I thought he was the one who bit another kid?” Jongin whispered. Seulgi smiled as she made her way to her kid.

“He does this to avoid scolding.” She said as she picked Taeoh up in her arms.

“Well he’s very smart. I used to do the same too.” Jongin said as he followed the mother and son out of the room.

For the second time that day, Seulgi felt a lurch in her insides.

 

 

 

“Uhm, Jongin? This isn’t the way back to the office.” Seulgi said as Jongin made a right turn. Taeoh had calmed down now and was sitting on her lap, playing with her hair.

“I know. I’m taking Taeoh out for ice cream. Told you we have nothing for the rest of the day anyway.” He replied with a goofy smile.

Seulgi was by no means going to protest. If she was going to keep the truth from both Jongin and Taeoh, the least she could do was allow them to spend some time together. Besides, it will be less conspicuous this way.

Taeoh cheered when he was presented with a small cup of ice cream. Jongin, got a cup for himself too and his smile mirrored Taeoh’s when he got his cup.

She on the other hand opted to just watch them enjoy their own treat. Taeoh got chocolate and Jongin got his favorite, choco mint. The older tried to feed Taeoh, which the boy gladly accepted. He swung his head happily, enjoying the new taste.

Eventually Jongin asked Taeoh to feed him to. At first it had seemed as though he was going to give Jongin a spoonful but then he just ended up putting it in his mouth. Jongin’s laughter rang in the parlor and so did Taeoh’s.

The unknowing father and son continued to play like that for a while. Until Seulgi had to shush both of them because they were starting to disturb the other customers with their noise.

 

 

 

After the ice cream parlor, Jongin surprised Seulgi and Taeoh by driving to the 63 Building.

“What are we doing here?” Seulgi asked as she stepped out of the car with Taeoh.

“I just figured, why waste such a nice day. Maybe Taeoh would enjoy this place.”

Jongin was indeed right. Taeoh loved seeing all the fishes. He was practically radiating and bouncing off the walls. And much to Seulgi’s surprise, Jongin leveled with Taeoh the entire time. As she watched the two together, she couldn’t help but think what if. What if the situation was different? What if Jongin knew he was Taeoh’s father? What if they were a real family?

 

 


 

Note:

A long overdue update...

I feel bad for making you wait for something this short, and I'm not quite satisfied with it... Maybe it's because I'm sick, I'm not really sure.

But I didn't wanna drag this chapter out by including the KaiSeul talk. I had no idea it'd be this short though.

Anyway, I tried to compensate by filling it with lots of Kai and Taeoh moments bec let's face it, Jongin being such a daddy to Taeoh is so hot.

Oh btw, the reason this was delayed too was because this KaiSeul prompt kept popping up in my head and just distracting me from this. I only got my head cleared after I wrote the prompt down.

I thought about it while waiting for the village shuttle to arrive. I saw this crane moving and I was thinking what it would be like if someone would be looking at me from up there.

Then it spiralled from there and the next thing I know, I'm thinking about Kai looking at Seulgi from there and like he has his EXO ability but Seul has no idea she's being watched.

Anyway the prompt is further inspired by the movies, The One and John Carter of Mars.