F O U R

A Study In Selcouth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(In which Jaehyun helps Taeyong with his search.)

Maybe this is a bad idea.

It’s a thought that keeps lingering in Taeyong’s head, his heart hammering wildly in his chest as he makes his way through the crowd. The cold breeze of the night has Taeyong pulling his sweater closer to his body but no matter how much he tries, he still won’t stop shivering. His stomach is doing that thing again. The growling thing. Not to mention, his head is pounding and Taeyong is pretty sure there’s a strange man following him for the past block, his boring eyes leaving an uncomfortable feeling in Taeyong’s stomach.

Yup, this was a stupid idea. Taeyong notes, bitterly.

It sounded like a good plan in the beginning. Taeyong had woken up from his sleep – sleep! He can actually fall asleep now like everyone else! – to a voice that kept nagging at him to do something, to find someone. Taeyong couldn’t shake off that feeling no matter how hard he tried so he left. Jaehyun was awake at that time, Taeyong had peeked inside his room quietly, but he seemed busy talking on his phone thus the former didn’t have the heart to disturb him.

Besides, he was planning to slip back into his room as quick as possible, pretend like nothing ever happened.

He’s starting to wish he stayed back with Jaehyun now.

Taeyong is in the middle of his pitiful wallowing when he feels someone yanking him by the wrist. Panic grabs him.“Hey!” Taeyong yelps, insults already on the tip of his tongue but he’s struck silence instead, eyes widening at the person before him. It's Jaehyun.

The taller man is panting, strangely sweaty considering the cool night air but most of all, he's got a deadly glare thrown at Taeyong, lips turned downwards. Their exchange are catching people's attention, two or three strangers stopping in their tracks to witness the scene. Taeyong gulps, pulls his wrist free. “Where the hell do you think you’re going?” Jaehyun demands once he eventually gets his breath back, forehead creased into worry lines. His tone is angry, upset, but Taeyong can tell that he’s trying not to show it. “I left my room to check yours and you weren’t there? Or in any part of the house? What the hell, Taeyong?”

He’s not yelling, not really, but it’s loud in its anger which has Taeyong falling a few steps back, uncomfortable. He shifts on his toes, does that thing with his hands where he digs his nails into his palm. The slight twinge of pain soothes him. “Were you trying to run away?” Jaehyun asks, quietly this time. He sounds upset. Taeyong finds that really unfair.

Jaehyun is staring at Taeyong expectantly, waiting for an answer. Taeyong winces. It sounds stupid, now that he think about it. But Taeyong takes a deep breath and decides to tell Jaehyun the truth.“I need to find Nari.” He says.

“Who?”

“Nari, my friend? I have to find her.”

There’s a pause. Jaehyun’s mouth is slightly agape, his brows scrunched up in confusion. A lorry drives past them, loud and booming when the driver honks. Sighing deeply, Jaehyun runs a hand down his face before he gently admonishes Taeyong. “You should have mentioned it in the first place, Taeyong. Not just run off without telling me anything. I was worried sick.” He sounds genuinely, truly disappointed.

Taeyong flinches and nods, casting his eyes everywhere but at Jaehyun.

The crowd is dissipating, quickly losing interest with the arguing duo in the middle of the sidewalk. Across the street, restaurants que up in lines, most of them bustling with people. Oh, dinner. Taeyong realizes. It completely slipped his mind that now that he’s ‘normal’ he has to eat three times a day, something about nutrients and carbohydrates and stuff. Taeyong is only beginning to realize how complicated all of this is.

“C’mon.” Jaehyun says, gripping Taeyong gently by the elbow. “I’ll go get my car and we’ll find your friend.”

Taeyong freezes. “We will?”

“Of course.” Jaehyun smiles and it’s the same kind one, not an ounce of his previous anger and disappointment can be traced on his face. Jaehyun’s shoulders are sagged with exhaustion, thick and obvious from the weary lines under his eyes and his unkept state. And yet, here he is. Still helping Taeyong out. Not for the first time, Taeyong feels the deep dug of guilt at the bottom of his stomach.

Gently, Taeyong pulls his elbow free from Jaehyun’s hold. Before he could think much of the flash of hurt in Jaehyun’s eyes, however, Taeyong swiftly slips his hand into Jaehyun’s, interlocking their fingers together. It fits. His stomach settles at the sight. “Alright.” Taeyong mutters and flashes the other guy a shy smile. I’m sorry, the words clogged up in his throat. Jaehyun nods like he knows exactly what Taeyong is trying to tell him and returns the smile. He gives Taeyong’s hand one last squeeze, leading the way back.

 

 

“So who is this friend of yours?” Jaehyun asks from the drivers seat, hands tight on the steering wheel. Taeyong sits beside him. He’s been watching the view outside, eyes greedily capturing the bright lights and busy streets. It’s the first time Taeyong is experiencing the bustling night life. Before this, he co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter