Final

Void

Sana POV

It was the usual day at school. Everybody is doing their own business even when our History teacher is in front. Some listing down notes, some are daydreaming, and some are even sleeping. School is almost over and everybody is lazy because of that.  But somehow there’s this odd feeling inside me.

I look at the empty chair beside me. It’s supposed to be her seat, Chou Tzuyu. I remember how that girl would look at me saying she’s already bored. I remember how peaceful her face is every time she would fell asleep. I remember how happy she is every time the school bell signals it’s time for our lunch. I unknowingly smiled because of my own thought.

Chou Tzuyu, she’s been my friend since we we’re just kids. I was so comfortable with her; just being friends that I didn’t knew that I already fell in love with her. I hid my feelings afraid that it might ruin our friendship. Until, one day a miracle happened. She shyly confessed to me.

“Sa-sana unnie, I -- well I-I love you.” she said her both cheeks covered with crimson red.

 Oh I surely won’t forget that day. That day when we officially started dating. I remember how sweet her kiss is, it was short but it was surely innocent and pure. How her hugs would make me feel so protected. How her smile would make butterflies flutter inside my stomach.

I was so caught up on my own thoughts that I didn’t know the school bell rings signaling that school is over. I remember how excited she is because we’re already going home. I remember how she would hold my hands tightly. Holding hands in hands while walking through the hall.

I looked at the sky and remember how she said those words to me.

Sana unnie I love the sky so much.” She said looking up above the sky.

“Huh why is that so?” I answered her looking at the sky too.

“It’s so beautiful it reminds me of you.” She said, smiling cheekily.

I remember how hot my face is that time. I remember how much she teases me saying that I look like I would pop any moment. It caused me to bury my face on my palms and I remembered how loud her laugh is.

I saw the ice cream parlor where we usually go after school dismissal. I entered it and sat on our usual spot. I ordered her favorite flavor, mint chocolate. I remember something as the familiar taste melted on my tongue.

“You have some ice cream on your face unnie.” She said while laughing.

“Eh? Where?” I said as I tried to wipe it off.

“Here.” She said and slowly leaned on to me, pecking my lips.

I closed my eyes and touched my lips. I can still feel her soft her lips against mine. I can still remember the taste of it. I can still saw her crimson red face as she back away with a shy smile on her face.

I leaved the place and continued my way to our usual spot, the rooftop. I continued to feel melancholy as I tried to remember all the things we did together. The usual street where we would walk talking, grinning to each other happily. I tried to remember all her jokes. I tried to remember all her teases.

I arrived at the rooftop and felt the warm air against my skin. I smiled, I can smell her scent. The minty yet sweet smell of her. “Tzuyu?” I asked through the wind but no one answered. I smiled again and sit on the corner of the rooftop.

This is the place where we usually would cuddle each other, exchanging sweet kisses and saying sweet words to each other. I didn’t realize that a hot fluid started running down on my cheeks. I tried to stop it but I can’t.

I grab my wallet and took out her letter for me. I read it again and again. “Happy 1st year anniversary Chewy~” I said again and can’t help but cry out loud. Today was supposed to be our 1st anniversary as a couple  but because of that incident everything turned upside down.

We’re supposed to finished school together. We’re supposed to travel the world together. We’re supposed to live happily together. But all of our dreams fade just because of that.

We are happy, I can say that. Our relation is running smooth. Everything is fine until one day she didn’t come. I tried to contact her but her phone is not available. I tried going to her home but her mother said she’s not there. I tried to find her anywhere but there’s no use. I didn’t find her.

I came home that day nervous about her. I tried to brush it off but there’s still that feeling inside me that I can’t explain. Then the next morning breaking news came. “A student from Twice High committed suicide at Once Building.” I tried to calm myself that day but I can’t. Seeing her name on the news, I broke down at my spot.  A police came to our house giving me a letter. And I remembered how I kept saying she’s not dead, that I’m not reading that letter because Tzuyu is not dead, that she’s not the one who is in the news. My mother tried to calm me down, and I can’t do anything but I cried.

After I calmed down I grab her letter, they say they found that inside the pocket of Tzuyu. And I broke down again after reading her letter.  Saying how her step father molested her and that she can’t take it anymore.  That day I broke down more. All the time we spent together rage onto my mind. All the dreams we were building are gone in the wind just like that.

“I love you so much Sana unnie.”

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m always here for you.”

“I’m not going to leave you. That’s not going to happen.”

“We’re going to be together, forever.”

I can still remember how sincere her words are when she’s saying those to me.  “Tzuyu you liar! You said you’re not going to leave me! Where are you now huh?!” I shouted onto the air like crazy. “You said you’re not going anywhere! That we’re going to live together! Why did you lie to me huh?” I shouted again, tears still running down on my face.

This is probably the most devastating feeling I’ve ever felt. Having someone you’ve cared and you loved in your life for so long just suddenly disappear. It’s like a void inside me; emptiness that even time can’t heal.

I don’t want this anymore. I don’t want this feeling anymore.  I stand up at the corner looking down. “Tzuyu y-you said that I--I should be strong. T---that I should continue m--my life and I did! I t--tried to live w--without you and I--I thought everything would be okay but no--- no!” I said between my sobs.  “Tzuyu c—can I follow you n—now?” I said again and I smelled her scent lingering on the warm wind like it’s hugging me.  I smiled.

 

“Breaking News: Another student from Twice High named Minatozaki Sana, committed suicide.”