Ch. 23

Intertwined Hearts

Hi guys! Do you remember Eunbi? ^^ If you dont, you can check chapter 5 & 6, she appeared there. :D

 

 


 

Did Wonwoo tell him something about me?! You blink before answering, “He said something…?”

Wonwoo’s dad nods his head once. “He said someone from his class named Lim gave him a strawberry jam. But because he doesn’t really like strawberry, he gave it to me instead.”

“I see…” You say in a bit of relief, you thought it was something serious. Well, you can’t blame him, he already told you he doesn’t like strawberry.

“Is he doing great in class?”

You shift your gaze back to him at his question. “He’s really good…” You smile. “But I think…”

He raises his brows, waiting for you to finish your sentence.

“Nowadays, he needs to take more rest.”

“That’s what you think,” he chuckles quietly. “But he’s actually strong. Thank you for the information,” he says and about to walk away.

“Of course he wants to look strong from the outside, everyone does,” you spat, causing him to stop his steps.

He turns around. “What?”

I really didn’t have to say that. You gulp before smiling awkwardly at the situation. “I mean…yesterday he got nosebleed that’s why I think he needs to take more rest,” You bow ninety degrees. “I have to go to class now, I’m sorry if I said something wrong,” and with that you walk away fast.

 

 

After the last lesson ends, you walk your way back to your dorm. Unlike yesterday, today doesn’t seem like it will rain anytime soon. However, you still wish it will since for you, it’s much better than walking under the hot sun. You just like it when it’s raining and that’s it.

As you keep walking forward, you take out your phone to check if you got any messages or missed call. Unlocking it, you stare at the screen flatly as you got no notification at all. You slip your phone back into your skirt’s pocket and about to look back ahead when a familiar figure walks beside you.

You’d be lying if you say it didn’t startle you, especially when you’ve been trying to avoid him all day…just because you think you told something wrong to his dad. Not only that, it’s just rare of him to walk next to you. He usually just passes by without even looking.

You take a quick glance at him, wondering what he’s going to say. Wonwoo knows you’re secretly looking at him but he ignores it.

Then, the thought comes to your mind. Does he know? What if his dad told him…?

“What’s with the worry face?”

He didn’t even look at you yet he knows your how your expression is right now. “I’m not worry,” you reply calmly. “At all.”

“Really,” he retorts as he grabs a paper out of his bag before handing it to you.

You stare at the paper for a second and take it from his hand. It’s the test you did yesterday. Quickly, your eyes scan for the score.

You smile before letting out a sigh in relief. Eighty-five is not bad at all.

“So, you actually know how to study, hm?” He asks but it sounds more like mocking for you.

You just roll your eyes while placing the paper inside the folder in your bag. It’s not like you don’t know what to say, you just don’t want the conversation leads to what you said to his dad. Especially, when it seems like he already knows.

“I hate asking this but were you trying to avoid me in school?” It’s bothering for him to ask you such a question, that’s why his voice is a bit low. In conclusion; he doesn’t want to seem like he cares.

“I wasn’t avoiding you,” you simply reply. “Yah…you’re worry about me?” You can’t help but to smile teasingly.

He looks at you before a slight scoff escapes from his lips. “You want me to worry about you that much?” He shifts his gaze back ahead, shaking his head a little. “Mr. Lee told you to find the new edition of the geography book,” he changes the topic.

You look up at him. “You’re not lying, right?”

“Nope. Buy it. Everyone already has one,” he says and without you realize both of you are heading to the gate already.

“When did Mr. Lee even announce that?” You tilt your head, full of confusion. “Wait!” You stop walking, causing him to also stops and look at you. “Why are we going…out of the school area? I don’t even have the permission card, you want me to get into a trouble?”

He raises his brows before averting your gaze. “You shouldn’t talk like that when you’re walking with me.”

“What do you mean?”

He takes something out of his pocket and holds it between his middle and ring finger, showing it to you proudly. You blink as you see the permission card in his hand. For once, you almost forget that he’s the student council president. No wonder he talks as he likes.

Wonwoo then turns around and continues to walk. You follow him from behind quietly. You don’t know what has gotten into his mind but you’re thankful that he still wants to help you.

 

“Where are you two going?” The security guard asks, tightening the grip around the flashlight in his hand. It’s not even night yet.

“Bookstore,” Wonwoo simply replies. You just nod your head.

He glances at his wristwatch before looking back at Wonwoo. “It’s already four thirty. Show me your permission card.”

He sighs slightly and takes the card out of his pocket for the second time then show it to him.

The security guard nods slowly. “Use the bus and come back hurry.”

“No way—I’ll just use my car,” Wonwoo disagrees.

“NO!” You suddenly snap a bit loud, causing both of them to look at you at the same time. “We’ll just go with the bus.”

 

 

 

It’s not like you prefer bus more than car, you’re actually fine with both. You just can’t imagine sitting beside Wonwoo inside his car…that’d be so much pressure for you. Besides, it’s been quiet long time you hadn’t ride a bus. You smile before turning your head to look at the person next to you.

Wonwoo just sits stiffly. You can’t help but to smile even wider. It seems like he’s not satisfied at all.

Both of you now are inside the bus, sitting on the very last seat. It’s pretty crowded at this hour because most people just finished their work.

“Can you stop staring?” He finally says something after a while.

“I’m not. I’m looking at the people inside here,” you lie. “Why? You’re not used to ride a bus?”

He looks at you. “I’m used to it. But when you have a car, why would you choose to ride a bus?”

“Ah…” You nod once. “But it’s still comfortable here, right?”

“Yeah,” he says, folding his arms behind his head, causing you to lean closer to the window. After that, he crosses one leg over the other, taking up most of the space. “Really comfortable.”

You glare at him sharply before pushing his arm off. “This is my zone,” you say but fail in the end because he’s way stronger.

“I’m just trying to make myself comfortable,” he says flatly. Knowing that there’s no way you can win, you turn your head to look away at the window. He looks at you from the corner of his eye, a slight smirk playing on his lips as he notices the frown expression on your face. Adorable. You feel his stare so you take a really quick glance at him, making him look away immediately.

After a few minutes, the bus finally arrives. Wonwoo stands up from his seat before walking to the exit of the bus and you follow him from behind.

“Thank you,” you mumble to the driver as you get off the bus. You look at Wonwoo who’s typing something on his phone. “So, where’s the bookstore?”

“What bookstore?” He asks, eyes still on his phone.

Furrowing your brows at his suspicious behavior, you fold your arms. “The one that you told me so that I can buy the book…”

“When did I even say that?” He finally looks at you, tilting his head a little.

Your eyes widen at his answer. “How can you forget? You told me earlier that Mr. Lee wanted me to buy the new edition of geography book!”

“Okay, calm down. You’re so loud,” he sighs, putting back his phone into his pocket.

“I am calm!”

“You’re yelling.”

You fix your hair before letting out a soft breath. “Alright. Now, I’m really calm.”

“Well,” he scans you from head to toe, making your cheeks heat up. You know there’s something odd about him but no matter how hard you try, you can’t never figure it out. You look away before he says, “Mr. Lee didn’t say that.”

You blink, not sure what to say and completely speechless. Clenching your fists from pure irritation, you shoot him a death glare but then your face falls back into your normal expression as you realize something. Maybe he knows that I said something to his dad…and this is his revenge…? You shake away those negative thoughts. No way! I didn’t say anything wrong, why would I be afraid?

“You’re always spacing out,” he interrupts your thought.

“If Mr. Lee didn’t say that then why...why did you bring me here?” You ask. There are so many things running inside your head but you try to be as positive as possible.

“Let’s get going.” Instead of answering your question, he turns his heel and stars walking.

You follow him. “You’re really weird, you know that?” The only thing that’s written on your face is confusion. He has his left hand inside his pocket as he walks casually.

Unlike you, his face doesn’t seem to have any worry at all. Heck, he doesn’t even know that you talked something to his dad but if he knew, he wouldn’t care about that either. So, what’s the reason he brought you here?

“Instead of frowning, you should be happy,” he says.

That’s easy for you to say. “Why should I?”

“You’re not in school that means you’re finally free.”

“Ah…” You nod in understand. “Now I get it. You just want me to get into a detention, right?”

He scoffs. She always thinks negatively. “As much as I enjoy seeing you getting into a trouble, I won’t do something that’s a waste of time.” He sighs and looks away. “Besides, I’m the one who’s allowed to give you a detention.”

You just stay quiet. Is he hiding something? You keep walking beside him, heading somewhere and only he knows. Not sure whether you’re mad or not, you decide to just follow what he says. Glancing down at your watch, suddenly a growling sound comes from your stomach. Your face turns red from embarrassment, you just want to go home and bury your face into your own pillow.

Wonwoo pretends not to hear it but in the end, he chuckles. Feeling even more embarrassed, you cover your face with your hands. You just don’t want to face him anymore. “Yeah, keep laughing,” you say. “It must be funny for you.” As usual, he likes making fun of you. You try to not mind that but always end up feeling embarrassed of yourself. After that, you feel someone pulls your hand away from your face. Lifting your head to look at him, you notice he’s still holding your hand.

“If you keep covering your face, you might bump into something,” he says but his eyes are still looking straight ahead. You don’t say anything and unknowingly, he pulls you into the nearest restaurant.

 

 

 

“This is really good!” You put the food into your mouth before smiling widely. At last, something fills your empty stomach. You don’t even care about how messy you look right now, you just want to enjoy your food.

Wonwoo lets out a small scoff and wipes his lips with tissues. “Now, you’re smiling.”

“Who doesn’t smile after seeing food?” You raise your brows while calmly sipping your drink. “Yah, Wonwoo, you should’ve just told me if you want to eat with me,” you chuckle, looking at him proudly and full of satisfaction.

“Don’t put your hope high,” he shakes his head at your sudden change in behavior. “Be grateful instead because you’re eating with me.”

You shrug, absolutely not caring about what he said and just put another food into your mouth. “Hm~” You chew it blissfully.

 

As expected, it takes you only ten minutes to finish your food. After that, you wipe your lips and fix your collar. You look at the person who’s sitting across and sip your drink. Wonwoo’s eyes fixed on his phone before putting it near his ear.

 

“Yes, dad?”

 

You almost spill your drink but you try not to make it too obvious. He notices you and gives you a questioning look. You shake your head as a reply and just smile slightly. What if he will find out…? No, I shouldn’t care, I didn’t say anything wrong.

 

“Alright, I’ll do it right away,” Wonwoo says and after that he ends the call before looking at you. “What happened?”

“Nothing…” You avoid his stare.

He places his phone down on the table. “Did I do something wrong? Be honest,” he asks, eyes not leaving yours. The reason why he brought you outside the school’s area is because he knows that you were avoiding him in school and he wants to know why. It’s strange for him, especially when you were being really concern yesterday.

“I’m being honest right now.”

He gazes at you before standing up. “If that’s the answer then let’s go back.”

Somehow, you feel guilty for not telling the truth even though you keep on reminding yourself that you didn’t say anything wrong, but you also want him to just find out by himself.

 

 

The next day feels just fine, you’re actually kind of surprised that none of the teachers scolded you for showing up at night. Luckily, if you weren’t with Wonwoo, you’d probably get called to meet the principle and you absolutely don’t want that to happen.

You stack your book into your locker before closing it back. As you turn around, you almost jump as a figure stands in front of you, looking with a fierce eyes.

“Gosh, Taehyung!” You clutch your hand on your chest.

He bursts into laughter. “Why are you so jumpy? Did I scare you?”

“…Yes,” you reply honestly.

“Do you have any plan this Friday?” He leans against the lockers.

“Hm, let’s see…” You fold your arms, pretending like you’re thinking. “I guess I don’t have.”

He snaps his fingers. “Great!”

“Why? Are you gonna…treat me some food?”

“Nothing,” he smiles and about to leave. “I’ll text you why later.” After that, he walks away. You tilt your head, watching his figure fades away into the distance.

You turn around and make your way in a different direction. The next lesson will start in less than ten minutes, which means you still got plenty of times to just stroll around. Staying inside the class is too boring for you, besides, you already done all of your homework.

You walk slowly through the halls, hoping to spot something interesting just to kill your time. You could’ve just choose to sleep in class but you’re not sleepy at all, even though you slept late last night.

Since most of students are in their classroom, the atmosphere is quieter than usual, you’re not complaining though. You stop and look out the window for a moment until you spot him sitting on the bench with someone. Since you’re way too far, you can barely hear them speaking.

 

“Wait, how do I solve this?” Eunbi, one of your classmates asks, looking deeply into his eyes.

“Here,” Wonwoo writes something on her note. “Use the third formula.”

“Ah~” She nods in understand.

“If you’re done, let’s go back to class.”

“No, wait!” She holds his arm. “One more question.”

He sighs. “Fine. Which one?”

“…Do you still hate me?”

“No,” he simply answers. “Now, let’s go back before the teacher comes.”

She smiles and gets up. “That makes me happy. I’m sorry for what I did in the past,” she looks down. “I really regret it…”

“Alright,” he gets up too. “Just don’t—“

Eunbi interrupts by wrapping her arms around him before giving him a peck on his cheek. You widen your eyes and stay away from the window immediately. I shouldn’t have seen that. It’s their business. Taking a breath slightly, you decide to just make your way back to your class.

 

Wonwoo pushes her off lightly but it makes her smile wider. “Bye. See you in class!” She waves at him and leave.

He wipes his cheek quickly and shoves his hands into his pockets. Crazy .

 

 

Wonwoo pushes the door open before stepping inside the classroom. As he walks towards his usual place, his eyes land on you who has your face buries into your folded arms. He pulls out his chair to sit and just in time, the teacher walks in.

“Hello,” Mr. Lee greets.

You lift your head and let out a yawn quietly, you weren’t actually sleeping at all.

“Wonwoo. Can you collect the homework?”

“Sure.” He grabs his own homework and goes to the nearest one, which is you. Without saying anything, he reaches out his hand, waiting for you to give him your homework.

You your bag to look for the book.

“You should’ve prepared it earlier,” he says in a low tone.

You just stay quiet and give him your homework, you knew he’d say that. He stacks your book on top of his and leaves your table. It’s kind of unusual, he expected you to argue back or at least glare at him but you didn’t even say anything. As much as he hates to admit it, he likes it better when you shoot him back with your words.

 

 

Finally, your favorite day has come, Friday, and that means you’re free from school. You stare at your reflection on the mirror while combing your hair. Taehyung wants to go somewhere with you and since today you don’t have any plan, you replied with yes right away. Even though, you still have no idea where he would like to take you.

You’re wearing a white sweater with a light blue jeans, you just choose the outfit based on what makes you feel comfortable since you don’t want to waste your time. After tying your hair into a ponytail, you grab your bag and sling it over your shoulder before making your way to the door to leave your dorm.

As you step outside the dorm’s building, your phone suddenly vibrates. You take out your phone from your pocket and read the message. After that, you lock and shove it back into your right pocket. It was a text from Taehyung, he said he’s waiting near the gate. You’re just walking normally until your eyes land on a familiar figure. It’s such a bad timing.

It’ll be awkward if you don’t greet or say anything and so as you’re about to walk pass him, you give him a smile. “Morning, Wonwoo.” And no, you’re not mad or anything.

“Where are you going?” Instead of greeting back, he asks that right away.

You stop walking and turn around to face him. “Somewhere…”

“Don’t you think it’s going to …rain soon?"

You look up to the sky, raising your brows. “Today’s really bright though,” you say. “Well then, I’m in hurry and Taehyung’s probably waiting. See you~” You’re about to turn your heel but fail as he grabs your wrist, causing you to taken aback. “Wonwoo!”

“What is it?” He tilts his head a bit. Hearing Taehyung’s name, somehow makes him feel uneasy. Not only that, noticing how your behavior changes every minutes makes him tired too, he wants you to just speak the truth instead of making him feel clueless and…worry.

“I told you I’m in hurry and…” You pause, trying to release his hand.

“And?” He waits for your answer, eyes not leaving yours.

“And don’t you think your girlfriend will be mad if she sees you’re acting like this!”

.

..

“…girlfriend?” He releases his hand and you notice how confuse his expression is.

You rub your wrist and nod. Did I say something wrong…?

“I don’t get what you mean. Whom are you referring to?” He looks down at you as his face gets closer.

“You know it yourself. Why are you even asking?” You roll your eyes. How Eunbi kissed his cheek keeps appearing in your head, you can’t help but to think it’s obvious that they’re dating.

“Name her.”

“I don’t want.” You look away, avoiding his gaze. You admit it, you’re quite not only because you found out they’re dating but there’s some part of you that just feels uncomfortable. What is this feeling?

“Lim…you’re so ing confusing.” That’s like the first time he called you by your name. He wants you to just answer him truthfully without hiding anything so that he can solve the problem.

“Right. I am confusing, sorry for that,” you turn around and walk away, leaving him there alone. You just don’t want to create any misunderstanding.

 

 

 

“Here,” Taehyung says, handing you a vanilla ice cream. He sits next to you on the bench and starts to his own ice cream.

“Thank you.” You smile.

The two of you are sitting near the fountain. It turns out, he just wants to eat ice cream with you, even though it’s a little bit childish, you still enjoy it without having any regret.

“It’s almost the end of the semester, are you going back to your home or staying?” He asks as he finishes his ice cream in a flash.

“Of course, I’m going back,” you say, eyes looking at the two kids who play a ball in front of you. “I miss my room so much. How about you?”

“Maybe if I’m not lazy.”

“Don’t be lazy. Trust me, it’s going to be so boring if you’re staying—“

“No way. I’ll probably go out twice a week,” he chuckles. “I bet your place is not that far.”

“Yeah, how do you know?” You turn your head to look at him. “It only takes twenty minutes.”

“Dang, that’s like really near. You could just visit it every day.”

You shrug. “But rules are rules. Is your home that far, though?”

“It takes five hours or so,” he looks at you, expressionless.

“Oh…wow.” You don’t know what else to say since you didn’t expect it to be that far. After finish eating your ice cream, you wipe your lips with the tissues Taehyung gave.

“What’s that?”

“Huh?” You blink at him as his finger points to your shoulder. You look at it and then look up the sky as tiny raindrops start pouring one by one.

“It’s raining. Come, let’s go!” He stands up and grabs your hand, pulling you somewhere and you follow as he said.

 

Both of you are taking a shelter in front of a café. Since it’s raining, people are also trying to find a place to stay for a while, causing the café to become full in a blink of an eye. You stare at the rain flatly. Wonwoo was right and you thought he was just guessing.

Taehyung groans. “I didn’t expect it to be rain, especially when this morning was really bright.” He wants to curse so badly because there’s so many things he wanted to do with you.

You smile softly at his anger tone and looks down, realizing he’s still holding your hand. You can’t help but to remember when Wonwoo did the same thing. Both of them are holding the same hand, which is your right.

But somehow, it doesn’t feel the same.