Chapter 9

Let's Meet Again

 

It was a chilly late-autumn evening and citizens were busy getting ready for the holiday. By the time the students get out of school, the sun was already on its way to rest for the day. The Sungjae and Joy got on the public bus and headed downtown to Cheonggyecheon. They enjoyed the breezy weather while walking along the stream of the city. They came to a stop half way down the stream.

 

 “Do you know what that is?” Sungjae poked at a well in the middle of the water.

 

“Isn’t that the wishing well? I heard the coins that are tossed in there are collected and donates to charities. Why?”

“Yup. Wanna try it?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“We each have five coins. Whoever gets the most in get their wish granted by the other person. So? Up for the challenge?”

 

“Why? It’s a wishing well. Shouldn’t your wish comes true if you make it in anyway?”

 

“Dummy, that’s just the idea. Wish doesn’t come true all on its own.”

 

“Aish, I see. So you’re basically using me as a way to grant your wish? Fine! But if I win, you’re going to have to grant my wish.”

 

“Fair enough. Go first.”

 

Joy tossed her first coin, and to their surprise it went straight into the hole. Sungjae then threw his, but he used too much power and it handed on the other side of the stream. Joy burst out laughing at his failure.

 

“Honestly, I’m not good at basketball at all.” Sungjae whispered to Joy.

 

However, Sungjae still came out victorious. Joy only made another one in after her first, while Sungjae got a total of three.

 

“Daebak! I really didn’t expected this. It wasn’t that you let me win right?” Sungjae was dumbfounded.

 

“Noooo, I didn’t. So, tell me! What is it?”

 

“Can’t you dance to SNSD’s Genie while saying ‘sowoneul marhaebwa’?”

 

“Is that your wish?!” Joy looked at Sungjae skeptically.

 

“No, ma’am….....…...Let’s go to the sea together.”

 

“What?.....Now?!”

 

“No, not now silly. For winter vacation, I want to go the beach?”

 

“Why? So you can see some y fishies?”

 

“Yeah!” Sungjae gave Joy a naughty smile. “I’m just kidding. You know, I’m a man of the sea.”

 

“I know..….Hmmmmm, alright! Oh, and by the way, it’s Sooyoung.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Park Sooyoung. That’s my real name. Besides Minhyuk and my family, nobody really call me by that name.”

 

“Oh, so you really are a fish (sooyoung means to swim in Korean).”

 

“In your dreams!”

 

After their little challenge, the two continued down the stream while admiring the night view of the metropolitan. Even though the sun had already set, the plaza was now even more lit out with the city lights. The water fountain began its night performance while sprinkling its variety of colors. Musicians were playing their instruments in local areas. Joy ran closer to get a better view while Sungjae follows behind her.

 

They had a good time being outdoors. Afterward, the two went to get black bean noodles. They rode the public bus home together like average high school students, and Sungjae felt bliss for such moments.

 

“You sure you know which bus to take to get home?” Joy asked as their walked down the alleyway to Joy’s house.

 

“Of course. You know I used rode the bus before manager hyung started driving me around.”

 

“Okay, that’s good.”

 

“Joy-ah…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Starting next week, I’m going to be filming for a new drama. I probably won’t be at school as much anymore. Manager hyung said he will get the lecture notes from the teacher for me. I just need to shows up on test days to take the exam.”

 

“I see……..Good luck.” Joy gave Sungjae an encouraging smile.

 

“Well, anyways, aren’t you luck. Having a great man such as myself walking you home.” Sungjae tries to change the subject.

 

“Tssskkk, not at all! You know Minhyuk walks me home every day right? And he’s far a greater man than you. Beside his height, he’s practically perfect.”

 

“Mmmm, I can’t deny that……..….Yah, Joy-ah!”

 

“What!?”

 

“Don’t be going around seducing men while I’m away.”

 

“Seducing? Are you out of your mind? Since when?”

 

“See, see. Right now, your smile and that looks in your eyes. You’re trying to seduce me right now aren’t you?”

 

“You idiot! That’s not seducing. This is!” Joy grabbed on to Sungjae’s collar and moved in closer to him.

 

Due to Joy’s sudden aggressiveness, Sungjae instantly stumbled back. His inside did a full somersault and he could feel his heart racing out of his chest. Seeing Sungjae’s unmanly responses caused Joy to crack up.

 

“Sungjae-ah, you’re still a kid aren’t you?” Joy teased the man.

 

“Hey, aren’t you younger than me? You better not be doing that to anybody else you hear.”

 

Joy just shrugged her shoulder. They suddenly jumped when they heard a cough coming from behind them. The two turns to see Minhyuk standing outside of Joy’s house.

 

“Little kids shouldn’t be out so late at night.” Minhyuk said to the two.

 

“Sunbae!” Joy ran to Minhyuk. Minhyuk welcomed Joy by ruffling her hair and sending her the sweetest smile that makes even Sungjae wanted to cringe.

 

Of course, Joy was used to it. The two were teased by their neighbors all the times because of their close relationship. The aunties in the block joked that Joy and Minhyuk were destined to be together even in their past life. Looking at the two, invisible steams was storming out of Sungjae’s redden ears.

 

“Again?! Joy-ah, you don’t know this but all men are wolves except me.”

 

“Excuse me?” Minhyuk raised an eyebrow.

 

Joy hold in her laughter the best that she could, and intertwined her arm with Minhyuk’s. Her action is quite normal for the two, but she was curious to see Sungjae’s reaction. It’s not that she wanted to cause a fight between the two. She knows Minhyuk is too much of a gentleman to do such things. Sungjae is no match against Minhyuk in terms of strength, but she wonders if he’s really willing to let it go without nagging at least.

 

And she wasn’t disappointed. Sungjae dove between the two, separating the split-second their arms linked. To distract Minhyuk at his obvious attempt at ing him, he pretended to almost tripped. The gullible Minhyuk quickly catches Sungjae from falling and the two men landed in an awkward positions. Minhyuk has his arm wrapped around Sungjae’s torso and sparks began to appear around them. In their eyes, the only thing that was visible was the other person’s face.

 

 “….My fanfic…..…...it’s coming to live…..…” Joy was astonished at the scene in front of her. Her cheeks was crimson red and she panicked around in circles like a maniac. 

 

Sungjae and Minhyuk swiftly parted from each other.

 

“Yahhh, how come you don’t blushes like that when we interacted?”

 

“…………….…” Minhyuk gave Sungjae a death glare.

 

“…..Look at the time. I think I should be going home now. Well, good night.” Sungjae waved goodbye to Joy who was still in La La Land, and gave Minhyuk a solid soldier bow. Before he could disappeared into the alleyway, Minhyuk called after him.

 

“Hey. Want to stay for dinner?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Mom made grilled catfish today. It’s the best. You need to try it.”

 

“Sorry, I do not participate in such act of animal cruelty.” Sungjae sarcastically declined and excused himself, but Minhyuk hovered his arm over Sungjae’s shoulders before he could leave.

 

“Oh, what? Don’t tell me you’re a vegetarian.”

 

“No I just don’t really like to eat seafood.”

 

“Tsk, let’s go.” Minhyuk ignored Sungjae’s objection and tugged him inside the house. Meanwhile, Joy just stood there as she watched the two love birds flew away. 

 


 

As expected……...MinJae moments are the best! xD

I kid. Please give Joy and Sungjae lots and lots of love.