“Little Sanghyuk’s First Day of School”

Little Sanghyuk's First Day of School

“Little Sanghyuk’s First Day of School”

It was little Sanghyuk’s first day in kindergarten. The almost four-year-old kid was obviously not looking forward to it as he was frowning. “I don’t wanna go to school, daddy.” He whined to his father in his cute voice as the two of them stood in front of his classroom. “I don’t wanna make new fwiends. I wanna go home!” He demanded, crossing his short arms and pouting. He had always been an indoor person. He was only interested in snacks and computer games for he found real life people scary and hard to deal with. It was the very reason why it took his dad one month to finally be able to bring him to school.

“Kindergarten is a nice place full of nice people.” His father told him in his usual soft yet indeed very comforting voice. He looked at his wristwatch before turning to the little Sanghyuk. “Sorry, Sanghyuk. I have to go to work and your mom is busy. I’ll be back after your class, okay?” He patted the boy’s head before immediately leaving. He seemed to be in a rush.

Sanghyuk watched as his father’s back grew farther and smaller with teary eyes. He pursed his lips to prevent himself from crying. “Wah!” He cried, despite his efforts not to. “Daddy!”

“Why are you crying?” A handsome boy appeared in front of Sanghyuk. He smiled at Sanghyuk, almost as if he was showing off his deep dimples. “Did you lose your daddy?”

“Daddy…” Sanghyuk sobbed. “Daddy left me here! Daddy Leo told me that he has work to do and Mommy Yeonie did not come too!” He pointed out, crying.

The handsome kid stepped closer to Sanghyuk and patted Sanghyuk’s back in attempt to comfort the crying boy. “Don’t cry~” The handsome boy cutely cooed, patting Sanghyuk with his cute little hand. “Your daddy just went to work and your mommy is maybe shopping for your foods. She’ll be back soon and she’ll pick you up.” He assured Sanghyuk.

“My uncle Kyuhyun told me that kindergarten kids beat up each other!” Sanghyuk cried. “I might die.”

The handsome kid shook his head in denial. “We don’t! Well, sometimes. But don’t worry, I’ll protect you. What’s your name, kid?” He asked as if he was not a kid himself.

“My name is Sanghyuk. Han Sanghyuk.” Sanghyuk replied, his sobbing lessened but he was still crying a little. His little hands rubbed his eyes but the handsome kid stopped him from doing so.

“Mom said that you cannot rub your eyes like that.” The handsome kid scolded Sanghyuk a little. “It’s not good for the eyes. My name is Hongbin, by the way. From now on, we’re friends forever!” He made a big circle using his short arms. “I’ll protect you, okay?”

Sanghyuk looked at Hongbin with teary eyes but nodded his head, anyway. “Yes!”

 

Sanghyuk went to the classroom with Hongbin. The two of them were chattering about a new episode of Pororo. They were laughing together happily when a tanned kindergarten boy suddenly jumped into Hongbin, hugging the handsome boy. “Hongbin!” The tanned boy cutely said.

Hongbin let out a groan. It was obvious enough that he was not pleased by the tanned boy’s appearance nor did he even like that tanned boy. Hongbin had no intentions of hiding his hatred towards the said boy. “Hakyeon hyung, why do you appear everywhere?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows in annoyance.

“Don’t be like that.” The tanned boy, Hakyeon, scolded Hongbin lightly. “I missed you guys so much. If I could live in the school with you guys, I would!” As if to emphasize his point, he even made exaggerated hand gestures. Hongbin frowned in response but Hakyeon took no notice of it. Then, the tanned boy noticed Sanghyuk who was hiding behind Hongbin. “Who is he? A new kid?”

Sanghyuk gulped, peeking from Hongbin’s shoulder. He was a bit taller than Hongbin so he had to bend down a bit just to hide. “Y-yes, sir.” Sanghyuk politely replied, making Hakyeon laugh.

“Why is he so polite?” Hakyeon asked, amused. He earned a death glare from Hongbin who took protecting Sanghyuk seriously. But Hakyeon, being the annoying kid he was, ignored the glare that he received. He smiled towards Sanghyuk. “I don’t bite, new kid. My name is Hakyeon, Cha Hakyeon. I’m the class’ representative, by the way.”

Sanghyuk seemed to relax a little upon seeing Hakyeon’s kind smile so he smiled back a little. “I-I’m Sanghyuk.” He introduced himself.

“Don’t be deceived, Sanghyuk.” Hongbin whispered to Sanghyuk. “He’s the class’ representative because he bribed candies to the other classmates. Also, he’s annoying. If you’re nice to him, he’ll annoy you forever.” He added, still whispering. “I’ll protect you, little Sanghyuk.”

“But he reminds me of my mom!” Sanghyuk whispered back to Hongbin. “But if he is that annoying, I cannot be fwiends with him, right?” He asked and Hongbin nodded in reply.

Hakyeon looked at the two boys who were whispering at one another. He was about to ask what they were whispering about when he noticed another boy, walking through the hallway. The said boy had a high nose but it was not too high, then, he had those eyes that seemed to pierce into a person’s soul. Scarily, he had no emotions. But Hakyeon smiled upon seeing him. “Taekwoonie!” Hakyeon called out happily, running to the scary-looking kid who frowned upon seeing him.

“That kid looks scary.” Sanghyuk whispered to Hongbin, referring to the kid who just arrived.

Hongbin nodded his head. “That’s Taekwoon hyung. He looks scary but he’s not dangerous. He’s a kid but he’s full of charisma and coolness. When Baymax almost died, he did not even cry!” He told Sanghyuk.

Sanghyuk gasped in amazement, covering his mouth with his tiny hands. “Woah! Really? He’s so cool!”

“I know!” Hongbin nodded his head once again. “He’s famous with the girls. He made a few kindergarten girls cry! But he’s not as famous as me. I made more girls cry than he did.” As if to prove his point, he showed Sanghyuk his deep dimples. “But he’s cool so it’s no surprise that he made girls cry.”

“I see! Can I be friends with him?” Sanghyuk asked.

“I don’t think so. He doesn’t talk.” Hongbin explained.

“Is he mute?” Sanghyuk looked so surprised and looked so sad for Taekwoon. He could not imagine living in the world without talking. If it was not obvious enough, Sanghyuk loved talking. He pitied Taekwoon.

Hongbin shook his head. “Taekwoon hyung is not mute. He just doesn’t like to talk. He’s lazy.” He said.

“Hongbin, is he Han Sanghyuk?” Their homeroom teacher, Ms. Park, asked, walking over to Hongbin and Sanghyuk. Hongbin nodded while Sanghyuk bowed politely. “What a cute kid…” Ms. Park cooed. “Anyway, why aren’t you guys getting inside the room yet? You should just chat inside. Not outside.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Hongbin, being the nice boy he was, nodded his head.

Ms. Park opened the door for the two children and as soon as she did, she was welcomed by the arguments of some children.

“Speak honestly, who took my Pretzel?” A kid with an abnormally low voice asked the kid who was a bit chubby. The latter had a really high nose that Sanghyuk wondered if he were a foreigner.

“I don’t know!” The chubby kid replied. “All I know is that you hid your Pretzel because you don’t want to share, you stingy kid.” He crossed his short arms and even pouted his lips.

“They look like bad people.” Sanghyuk told Hongbin as the two of them proceed to their seats because Ms. Park told them so. The said teacher then headed to talk to the two kids who were fighting.

“Ah… The deep-voiced kid is Wonshikie. He only loves two things, sleeping and his younger sister. But maybe, you can make that three because he loves Pretzels too.” Hongbin explained, sitting down on a chair and pulling Sanghyuk’s short arm to make the said boy sit down beside him. “The other kid is Jaehwanie. He has a large nose.” Hongbin pointed out the obvious. “They always fight but they’re always together.”

As if nothing happened, Jaehwan laughed when Wonshik looked like he was about to cry. That Wonshik kid did not look like it – he looked like a young thug, actually – but he was a crybaby. “Just kidding. I took it because you didn’t want to share.” Jaehwan confessed, reaching for his bag to get the Pretzel.

Wonshik smiled. “I’ll share it to you then!”

Jaehwan nodded his head with a smile. But his smile turned into a frown when he could not seem to find the Pretzel. “Where is it? I put it here, I swear!” Jaehwan cried. “It’s missing! Ottokaji*?”

[“Ottokaji” (오또카지) derives from “Eotteohke haji” (어떻게 하지), meaning “What do I do?”. Ottokaji is just Ken's made up word to shorten it in his own way and trying to be cute and he was indeed really cute while doing it.]

All of a sudden, Hakyeon gasped. “Taekwoon! You’re chewing Wonshik’s Pretzel aren’t you?” He asked out loud but the emotionless boy remained expressionless. “Teacher!” Hakyeon called the teacher’s attention as if Ms. Park’s attention was not on him yet with his loud voice. “I know where Wonshik’s Pretzel went! In Taekwoon’s stomach!” He pointed out.

“Is that true, Taekwoon?” Ms. Park asked Taekwoon.

Taekwoon blinked before nodding once, not seeming to care. “…I ate it.” He said in his very soft voice.

Wonshik visibly gulped. “It’s okay, teacher.” He told Ms. Park. “I moved on.” He said, looking very much scared. “I’ll just ask mom to buy a new one.”

“Y-yeah, he’s okay, teacher.” Jaehwan forced himself to laugh.

Sanghyuk looked at Taekwoon who looked at him as well. Scared, little Sanghyuk looked away, turning to Hongbin. “He’s scary.” He pouted cutely. “I think he hates me.”

Hongbin nodded his head. “I think he hates everyone. Just avoid him if you can.”

Sanghyuk pursed his lips before nodding with determination. Just like that, little Sanghyuk’s first day in school happened. He was not sure if it was fun or scary but he’s slowly starting to like school. He made a mental note to himself. He needed to stay away from Hakyeon who was annoying, then, away from Jaehwan and Wonshik who had a love and hate relationship. Lastly, he had to stay away from the scary little Taekwoon. But, on the brighter side, he got himself a friend – his first one – Lee Hongbin.


Author's Note: 

I know, it's random. I don't even have an idea what I was thinking while I was writing this. OTL Anyway, I did not proof-read this so please feel free to point out any mistakes (typos and gramatical ones). I'll fix them.

How was the story? Was it funny enough? I am planning on writing more stories like this... but let's see what will happen. ^_^

Special thanks to the ones who upvoted, Karenkitty1092, Zhuchu, hongbeann,  maebisu, LeeJi98, and love_kris thank you so much! It means a lot to me.